Research

The Undomestic Nanny

Chapter 4

A nanny?!” Daehyun exclaimed that night in the cafe.

 

Annie nodded innocently. “I start in the morning,” she informed them then turned to Zelo and Jongup with a hopeful smile. “So will one of you guys be able to cover for me tomorrow? If so, I owe you big time!”

 

I have school in the morning, so sorry, Annie,” Zelo said sadly looking away.

 

It's okay,” she said then turned to Jongup with a hopeful smile. “What about you?”

 

Jongup considered it for a moment then gave her an assuring smile. “I can do it,” he finally agreed.

 

She exclaimed, “OMG! Thank you!” She immediately pulled him into a hug which surprised everyone else. Realizing what she had done, she broke away from him awkwardly. “Thanks,” she cleared . “I owe you one.”

 

Anytime,” he replied looking away shyly.

 

Miranda Shin,” Youngjae read the name on the business card. “Do you even know who your new employer is?” he looked up at Annie.

 

Annie thought for a moment then shook her head, “Doesn't ring a bell.”

 

Wait, she's gonna be working for Miranda?!” Daehyun exclaimed.

 

Why? Do you guys know who she is?” Annie asked curiously.

 

Annie, you do realize that she's a member of Seoul's elite, right?” Youngjae gaped at her.

 

I mean I know she's loaded but not that part, what's so great about her anyways?”

 

Her husband is the CEO of some big corporation and she spends her time doing charity work and makes appearances on his behalf, in other words she's seriously loaded,” Lucy finally chimed in after a long silence.

 

Upon registering that bit of information, the room went quiet. “Wow... it seems as if I've hit the jackpot,” Annie was amazed at the fact that she was going to work for one of the city's wealthiest couple.

 

Are you sure you're cut out for this job?” Lucy asked cautiously.

 

Annie gaped at her in confusion. “Of course I am! Why?” she asked defensively.

 

Daehyun, Youngjae, and Lucy glanced at each other then back at her. “You tell her!” Daehyun hissed.

 

No, you do it!” Youngjae argued back.

 

I already said my part,” Lucy raised her hands in defeat.

 

Tell me,” Annie raised her voice which startled everyone else.

 

Youngjae and Lucy pushed Daehyun forward, he glared at them then turned to Annie. “A nanny job, Annie? We don't think you'd survive your first day,” Daehyun said scratching the back of his head awkwardly. “I mean do you even know anything about nannying? If that's even a word...” he glanced back at the other two awkwardly giving them a brief shrug.

 

Why?” She took offense to that comment. It was a low blow considering her own friends lacked faith in her decision. Eyeing the three of them threateningly, she demanded an answer. “Don't pamper me.”

 

After thinking about it, Lucy turned to her. “Well for one, you don't have any experience working with kids,” Lucy reasoned then motioned for one of the guys to speak up.

 

And you have a very short temper,” Youngjae added.

 

Don't forget impatient,” Daehyun chimed in.

 

She clenched her fists angrily. “Okay... is that all?” Annie grumbled.

 

Well...” Lucy started to say glancing back at the two guys but Annie held up her hand to stop her.

 

So I lack experience and I have a short temper,” she said matter-of-factly. “I can work on it.”

 

The three friends stayed silent, choosing not to argue back. “If you say so,” Youngjae finally said. “We're just worried about you that's all.”

 

Annie sighed. “I know, and I do appreciate it but this is my decision and I'm doing this whether you guys like it or not,” she said determined to prove them wrong. “I mean you, Youngjae, of all people should be perceptive and understanding. Weren't you the one who told me life is all about trial and error?”

 


 

That night, laptop was set up on the coffee table as she did research about her new job. She'd be lying if she said she wasn't nervous. Working for one of Seoul's most elite families would be quite an honor. Maybe they could write her letters of recommendations and possibly help pay her college tuition or afford her own place. The thought was exciting it almost felt impossible. How bad could it be? She thought.

 

On the bright side, she learned a bit about her employers. The Shins were married at 22 (her age) through what Annie assumed would be an arranged marriage. Miranda came from the affluent Lee family background and they were close friends and business associates with the Shin family so it would make sense if the marriage was arranged. But then, Annie was in no place to judge nevertheless since it was none of her business. As she continued reading on, her husband ran one of the most successful investment corporations and together they have one son, Daniel. From time to time, Miranda is often throwing charity galas and is often supporting the arts for schools by often donating to her own money to fund for the performing arts program. “Huh,” Annie gaped in astonishment.

 


 

Not able to sleep that night, the girl clouded Yongguk's mind as he glanced at the journal sitting on his nightstand. Turning on the light by his bed, he finally sat up putting on his glasses and decided to read a bit of the journal out of curiosity. After much thought, he opened it to the first page suddenly feeling guilty about reading something so personal about someone he barely knew but it was too late to turn back now.

 

Dear friend,

 

Gosh, I feel like Charlie from “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” but given the situation I've found myself in, writing to you is my only escape. It's been a few months since I was evicted from my apartment so since then, I've been crashing at Lucy's. Because of my living situation, I had to drop out of law school because my finances have been deteriorating so in this case, I'm stuck. Overall, I am eternally grateful to have someone like Lucy around because Lord knows where I'd be sleeping if she wasn't here.

 

As much as I enjoy being in her company, I think it's time to start searching for something new and better. I mean I can't live here forever. Lucy's apartment isn't made for two people. I'd be lying if I say I don't feel bad. I feel horrible. I feel bad for overstaying my welcome and burdening her even though she assures me that I'm not a burden. I can't help but feel guilty. It's unfortunate. I can talk about my problems to her or Daehyun or even Youngjae but I choose not to because I don't want them worrying about me. If I whine, it already sounds like I'm feeling sorry for myself which is the last thing I want. I mean yes, I'm struggling but then I have to endure and accept it.

 

When I get another job, I sure hope I can get my own place and maybe even return to school. I just have to keep my head up. I guess that's all for now. Good night, friend!

 

Yours truly,

Annie

 

So she knows Daehyun and Youngjae,” he mused softly astonished at this realization. “It's a small world after all.” He thought aloud contemplating on whether to tell them about her journal. Maybe they could return it to her, he considered this for a moment. But then, if he decided to return her journal, chances are he might not see or hear from her again. He soon decided then that maybe he will return it to her when the opportunity came. In the meantime, he wanted to hold onto it in the hopes of getting to know her.

 

Yawning, Yongguk decided to lock the journal in the top drawer of his nightstand in the hopes of returning to it the next day. Rearranging his pillow and laying back down, he shut off the light and decided to call it a night.


A/N: Here's another short update for you guys! There's even a bit of a Yongguk appearance towards the end! Enjoy! ^^

P.S. Sorry if it seems a little boring to you. >.<