The First Day I

The Undomestic Nanny

Chapter 5

She could not sleep a wink that night. So as soon as dawn came, Annie was up and about prepping for her first day on the job. Wanting to make a nice impression, she decided to raid her closet for her professional attire. After getting out of the shower, she put on her only black pencil skirt and a baby blue blouse topped with a navy blue cardigan. She ended up pairing the outfit with a pair of black pumps. Miranda hired her on the spot without an interview so she may as well dress as if she's going for an interview. Just in case, Annie brought a change of clothes.

 

You look nice,” a voice said from behind, it was Lucy entering the bathroom to brush her teeth.

 

Annie glanced at her. “Thanks,” she said. “I just want to make a good first impression.”

 

Spitting into the sink, Lucy looked up at her best friend through the mirror. “Didn't you already make an impression when she hired you on the spot? I mean you did rescue her kid from getting killed,” her tone was dismissive.

 

I know, it's just so sudden that she decided to hire me on the spot,” Annie informed her unsure of what else to say.

 

You should get going,” Lucy finally said. “You wouldn't want to be late on your first day.”

 

Okay, I'll see you later,” Annie bade Lucy farewell then exited the apartment. Eventually, she'll warm up to the idea of me working as a nanny. She thought as she made her way to the bus stop.

 


The bus made its stop in front of a cafe and to kill the time in the hopes of catching the next bus, she decided to go inside for a bagel and a cup of coffee since she had no time for breakfast. She hoped Miranda's camp would provide a decent meal for her on her first day. In the meantime, a small breakfast would help give her a bit of energy for the time being. Once inside, Annie ordered a whole bagel and a toffee nut latte.

 

As she made her way out of the cafe, Annie found herself colliding with an oncoming figure which in turn caused her to land on her bottom thus spilling her coffee all over her blouse and dropping her bagel in the process. Just my luck, she thought grumbling.

 

The person she collided with gasped. “Oh no! I'm so sorry!” he exclaimed as he helped her up. “Are you okay?” his tone was gentle and full of concern. It was deep but not as deep as the guy who saved her from getting killed. His eyes widened upon spotting the empty coffee cup on the ground which resulted in the giant stain on her blouse.

 

Annie looked down at the brown stain on her blouse and gasped realizing it wouldn't come off so easily. “I'm fine,” she said through gritted teeth trying to keep her voice steady. “I just have a knack for not watching where I'm going but I'll be fine.”

 

He took out a handkerchief from his pocket and attempted to help her clean up. “Here, let me help you,” he said. “I'm really, really sorry.”

 

She stopped him by pushing his hand away gently. “Don't worry about it,” she said finally glancing his way. He had sharp yet mesmerizing eyes. Feline-like eyes would be the more correct term to describe his eyes. She had to admit he was handsome though.

 

Please, let me buy you another cup of coffee,” he offered with a charming smile. “Consider it my apology.”

 

No, thank you,” she declined politely. “I was just about to leave for work anyways. Anyways, I should get going now. I wouldn't want to miss the next bus, you know.” As she began walking away, she briefly looked over her shoulder. “And you're forgiven. Accidents happen.” She said then walked off.

 

Wait!” he called out to her prompting her to turn around. She eyed him curiously as he ran up to her. “Let me give you a ride.”

 

What?” she asked incredulously at his sudden offer. “I can't. I barely know you. I should know better than to ride in cars with strangers.”

 

He gaped at her in astonishment. “Don't worry I'm not gonna you or murder you if that's what you think,” he assured her. “I'll still buy you that cup of coffee.”

 

She became hesitant. “Do you seriously think you can bribe me with coffee just so I can get into the car with you?” she asked trying her best to remain composed.

 


Never in his lifetime has Himchan come across someone so brash and stubborn before. She was seriously like a breath of fresh air. He tried to hide his amused grin nevertheless. “Fine, I'll let you take me to work only because it's your fault I missed the bus!” she finally agreed as she followed him to his car.

 

He chuckled and shook his head in amusement. “I'm parked right this way,” he pointed to a black Hummer in the parking lot.

 

That's your car?” she gaped in astonishment. Wondering what this stranger did for a living, Annie thought it was a better idea not to pry. It's not like she'll ever see him again anyways. He was just being a good Samaritan after their clumsy encounter.

 

Yep,” he said walking over to the passenger's side to open the door for her. “So are you gonna get in or what? We could stand here all day if you want.”

 

Annie huffed. “Well aren't you a gentleman? I guess chivalry ain't so dead after all,” she remarked once she settled into the passenger seat.

 

What can I say? My mother taught me well,” he smirked as soon as he started the car.

 

Charming,” she sarcastically remarked after buckling up.

 

I try,” he said pulling out of the parking lot. “So where am I taking you...?”

 

Just drop me off down that street,” she pointed up ahead. “I can walk the rest of the way,” she instructed him.

 

Well, if you insist,” he shrugged as he drove along the streets. “My name's Himchan, by the way.”

 

Well aren't you going to tell me your name?”

 

After a moment of silence, she took a breath. “It's Annie,” she finally said.

 

Annie,” he repeated softly to himself. “Nice to meet you.”

 

Likewise,” Annie said crossing her arms over her chest looking away cautiously.

 

As he began driving off, Himchan found himself stealing glances her way. He had to admit she was a very pretty girl. She doesn't seem like those easy girls who like to throw themselves on him and his friends. She was one of those girls you would want to bring home to the family. It's not often he came across these kinds of girls. “Himchan?” she lightly tapped his arm.

 

He turned to look at her. “Hmm?”

 

You missed my stop,” she told him.

 

Oh, I'm sorry,” he stopped the car turning on the signal to make a turn.

 

Don't worry about it,” she assured him. “I can walk from here.”

 

Are you sure?” he asked.

 

She nodded. “It's not too far of a walk,” she said unbuckling her seatbelt and grabbing her bag. “Thanks for the ride.”

 

No problem,” he nodded in return.

 

It's nice meeting you,” she said once she stepped out of the car.

 

My pleasure,” he said finally. “Take care.”

 

Thanks, you do the same!” she shut the car door and watched as he drove off.

 

As he drove away, Himchan glanced at Annie's retreating figure through his rearview mirror. I hope we meet again, Annie.

 


Standing in front of the posh apartment building, Annie made her way over to the entrance and went inside. Walking through the lobby, she made her way into the elevator. As she neared the appointed floor, Annie took a deep breath anticipating what was in store for her that day. Eventually, the elevator came to a stop and the door slid open leading to a small vestibule. She rang the doorbell.

 

The door opened to reveal a maid bowing in greeting. “Mrs. Shin is waiting for you in the living room,” she said as she ushered Annie inside.

 

The entrance was longer than the one at Lucy's apartment. To the side, Annie spotted a shoe stand along with a coat rack as well as a vanity mirror on the adjacent wall. Instinctively, Annie made a swift check of her appearance. The stain dried but was still evident so she made a note to button her cardigan. Her posh apartment has plenty of modern touches such as artwork and chic furniture. Annie found herself amazed at such a nice household. “Hello Annie,” she greeted firmly.

 

Miranda was wearing a French striped t-shirt, expensive khaki pants, Chanel ballet flats, and a white Dolce cardigan. She paired her ensemble with a pair of Harry Winston earrings which brought out her beautiful face in the natural lighting. She averted her eyes directly towards the giant coffee stain on Annie's blouse.

 

Annie found herself blushing and looking away hoping the floor could open up and swallow her whole. I'm barely here five minutes and I've already gotten on her bad side. Way to go, stupid! Her subconscious mentally scolded her.


A/N: Hello again! Here's another update before I head to bed! This time, Himchan makes an appearance!!!! Yay!!!! I hope you enjoy his part because I briefly wrote this part way before this story idea came about. I had another one in mind but gave up on that one and decided to focus on this one instead.

Last update for today because I seriously should be going to sleep and might not be able to update in a few days due to me working long shifts three days in a row. :( Enjoy! ^^