"The Way You Look Tonight"

The Undomestic Nanny

Chapter 66

The recital hall began to fill up as Annie paced around near the door in the hopes of meeting up with Daniel's parents since she had reserved seats for them knowing they were the guests of honor that night. It was a big night for Daniel. His lessons were starting to pay off but none of his parents seemed to have taken notice of his progress by far much to Annie's dismay.

 

Glancing back at the stage, she spotted a small head peaking out into the crowd. Standing above him was a handsome man, also peering out into the crowd. He scanned the crowd and spotted Annie, staring back at him. Before long, he grinned warmly before waving over to her. Confused, Annie squinted a bit and realized the guy waving over to her was Himchan. Smiling, she waved back to him. In turn, leaned over to whisper something to the boy and pointed over to Annie. The boy scanned the crowd for Annie and waved back to her cheerfully. She giggled seeing Daniel smiling back at her. He was a little nervous from what she could tell but having Himchan and Annie around made him feel a little more at ease which was what mattered most.

 

Prior to the impending event, Annie had remembered helping him get dressed as soon as she arrived to the penthouse. He was throwing a tantrum only because he refused to play in front of other people for fear of being laughed at. Annie was a bit taken aback by it. Even at the age of five, he could feel a bundle of nerves. She had tried to ensure him to be the best that he can be and who cares if he messes up. Just as long as he gets it over with then everything will be fine.

 

But Daddy told me not to embarrass him,” he frowned, looking away.

 

She looked back up at him as she was fixing his shirt. “Well your daddy is not being very nice, isn't he?” she sighed. “Look Danny, don't listen to what he or what your mom says. You be the best that you can be and you'll be fine. Who cares if you mess up? Let them laugh at you. Just say 'Why don't you big dummies just kiss my !'” She chuckled before stopping herself. , her eyes widened. I just taught him a bad word. She mentally slapped herself, looking back up at him once again.

 

He giggled. “You said a bad word, noona,” he pointed out matter-of-factly.

 

She chuckled, ruffling his hair playfully. “I did,” she mused, bringing an index finger to her lips. “Shhh... This will be our little secret okay, Danny? Don't tell your mom.” She winked at him.

 

He nodded innocently. “I won't,” he said making a zipping gesture with his hand over his lips.

 

You promise?” asked Annie, extending her pinky to him. In turn, he curled his pinky around hers. Before long, the doorbell rang. Annie stood up before making her way over to the door to answer it.

 

Hey,” Himchan greeted her as soon as she opened it. Annie seemed a bit taken aback upon seeing his dashing appearance standing before her. He wore a simple black suit with his hair swept back, showing off his already handsome face. “Earth to Annie?” He snapped his finger, waking her from her slight trance.

 

Huh?” she flinched a bit before making way for him to enter. “Right. Sorry...”

 

No worries,” he chuckled looking back at her. Tonight, was somewhat of a special occasion for everyone. At least in Annie's case. The Shins were probably used to these things but this was a forbidden territory for Annie herself. It was only fair for Annie to dress up a bit. It was nothing too major. She had decided to wear a knee-length navy blue dress, with a pair of black peep-toed pumps, along with a little make up as well as leaving her hair down, clipping her left strands to the side, revealing a pair of simple studded earrings. Himchan seemed a little stunned upon seeing her, taking a long moment to admire her. “Wow...” he said breathlessly.

 

She looked back down at her wardrobe, “What?” she asked self-consciously. “Is there something wrong with this dress? This was all I had in my closet. Other than that, I would have borrowed something from Lucy...”

 

He held up a hand to stop her from rambling. “You look fine,” he assured her. “Actually you look absolutely amazing tonight.” He said coyly, clearing his throat.

 

She blushed, looking away from him. “Really?” she asked. “This feels very different for me.”

 

Why? You don't dress up too often?” he asked with a playful smile.

 

Not really,” she shook her head.

 

He chuckled. “All I have to say is Bang is one lucky guy to have a girl as beautiful as you,” he said with a tone of sincerity.

 

She looked up at him, a little stunned at his comment. “Thank you,” she beamed. “You don't look so bad yourself.”

 

He, in turn, looked down at his own wardrobe. “Thanks,” he grinned back at her.

 

A comfortable silence ensued between the two of them before Daniel had emerged from his room fully dressed. “Wow,” his eyes widened. “You look really cool, hyung!”

 

Annie and Himchan both turned their attention to the little boy in the room. “Thanks, little man. But I don't look half as cool as you,” he leaned over to ruffle the boy's hair. “You ready to go?”

 

He nodded in return.

 

Alright, let's get going,” Himchan announced, leading Daniel out the door followed by Annie, who stayed behind to shut the door behind her.

 

However, not only was she waiting on Daniel's parents, she was also waiting on Yongguk to show up as well. He did make a promise to Annie and Daniel and she hoped he didn't break it when he was nowhere in sight. She was anticipating his arrival. It would be his first time seeing her a little more dressed up for once and she was kind of excited about it. Before long, after checking her phone, he had sent her a courtesy text to notify her he'd be late. She sighed, slightly disappointed but decided to brush it off. She should at least be glad he was still making an effort to stop by nonetheless. Besides, it was Daniel's night, not hers.

 

Soon, the lights dimmed as the event was about to start. The ushers advised Annie to head inside so that they could shut the doors. She insisted on a few more minutes in case Daniel's parents made it right after the doors closed. The men ensured her they will allow the guests of honor inside when they arrived so in the meantime, she should go inside and take a seat in time for the event to begin.

 

Before long, Himchan accompanied the piano arrangements while Daniel's class entered the stage and began to sing along as a choir. Daniel seemed to appear as if he was scanning the crowd for a familiar face but relaxed upon seeing Annie as she watched on proudly. She found herself glancing over at Himchan. He finally looked up, their eyes having met. Annie gave him a warm smile and as a result, he returned with his own warm smile.

 

The event went on as planned and of course, Daniel's parents were nowhere in sight. Taking out her phone, she made her way out the door to make a phone call. The line at the other end continued to ring but Annie was soon in for a disappointment knowing it would eventually go straight to the machine. What the hell was she up to? Did she forget about tonight? She decided to call the father's office. It was no use since they told her he already left and left her with a number. Annie tried his number, only to go straight to the machine again. Good lord were both parents purposely ignoring her? She thought, clenching her fist angrily. Before long, her phone had gone off, raising her hopes. Only to feel a little bummed out when it wasn't who she expected. Instead, it was Yongguk calling. “Hello?” she answered breathlessly.

 

Hey, you okay?” his deep voice rang out, seemingly concerned.

 

I'm fine,” she responded curtly.

 

You don't sound okay,” he countered.

 

Annie bit down on her tongue, clearly in no mood to argue with Yongguk. Her mood was already brought down by the absent parents, she didn't need Yongguk, of all people, to add more fuel to the fire. “Anyways,” she decided to shift the topic. “What's up? Are you calling to tell me you're running late again?”

 

He chuckled nervously in return. Annie had a feeling it'd come to this. “About that,” he began, “Something came up at the studio so I'm not sure if I can make it.”

 

Annie grew silent for a moment. “I understand,” she said, trying her best to hide her disappointment in her tone but to no avail.

 

He groaned apologetically, feeling like a big jerk all of a sudden. “Look, Annie, I'm really sorry.” His tone sounded sincere. “I know how important tonight was for you, Danny, and Himchan. They'll understand. I know Himchan will but could you give Danny all my love?”

 

I'll try,” she said firmly.

 

I'll make it up to you guys, I promise,” he finally said.

 

Okay,” Annie replied, blinking back tears.

 

I'm so sorry, Annie.” And he meant it too.

 

Annie took a deep breath, attempting to keep her voice steady, “Don't worry about it. I'll see you later, Bang.” She had finally said before hanging up.

 

As if on cue, the door flew opened and a crowd began making their way towards the exit. The event was already over, she realized and yet the parents couldn't even make it. Unbelievable, she scoffed before making her way inside to look for Daniel. He was standing alongside Himchan, who was thanking the parents for making it out to the event that evening. Daniel would occasionally nod obediently whenever he had to reply to a question.

 

From the looks of it, his expression remained solemn. He glanced around as if he were expecting someone. Annie wondered if he was looking around for his parents. It was going to break her heart having to break the news to him and she hand to mentally prepare herself before taking another deep breath as she made her way to them. She faked a smile once Himchan's eyes met hers. He too smiled in return although she wasn't sure if it was faked or not. “Hey little man,” she greeted the adorable boy before her. “How are you feeling? Do you feel better now that it's all over with and done?”

 

Much better,” he nodded eagerly, giving her a thumbs up.

 

Annie giggled, ruffling his hair playfully. “You all ready to go to dinner?” she asked, referring to the big dinner after the event. He nodded once again. “Okay, go get your coat from backstage. I'll wait right here for you with Himchan, okay?” Soon, Daniel eagerly made his way backstage, leaving Annie alone with Himchan momentarily.

 

Is everything okay?” he asked, noting her solemn expression.

 

Her eyes glistened under the lighting of the chandelier above them. “They never came,” she said breathlessly.

 

It took a moment for him to realize she had been referring to the absent parents in speaking. In turn, he clenched his fist angrily. “Unbelievable,” he muttered angrily under his breath.

 

He's gonna be so disappointed once he finds out,” she said, allowing a single tear drop to roll freely down her cheek.

 

Instinctively, Himchan wrapped his arm around her, squeezing her bare shoulder with his hand reassuringly. “It's gonna be okay,” he assured her. “Since his parents are having a nice time ignoring him then he can have a splendid time without them.” He declared.

 

Annie chuckled, reaching out to wipe a tear away only to have Himchan reach up to do it for her. She was taken aback by the sudden gesture and for a moment, he stared intently into her eyes and Annie could only remain still, gazing back up at him. Soon, her heart began to thump loudly and she could feel her cheeks warming up. Himchan's gaze soon shifted down to Annie's full lips as he found himself slowly leaning in. Realizing what he was doing, Annie instinctively pushed him away. “Himchan,” she uttered softly. “What are you doing?”

 

I'm really sorry,” he immediately apologized, backing away from her.

 

She panted, placing her hand over her chest, “It's okay.” After a moment, her heartbeat was back to normal once again. “I'm just going to pretend this never happened.” She said firmly, straightening her dress then tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

 

As soon as Daniel met up with them, Himchan led them to the car with Annie and Daniel following behind. Annie had made sure to keep her distance nonetheless.


 

Clearly the dinner party was not an event for children as Annie sat at the table observing the party scene before her. The children were left in the care of the other nannies. Despite her insistence in helping out, the other nannies were more insistent on helping Annie spend some alone time with Himchan since according to them, they made an attractive young couple. “We're not a couple,” Annie immediately came to her own defense.

 

It sure didn't look that way on the way when you came in with him. He couldn't take his eyes off you,” another nanny swooned. “I'm so envious. What does a girl have to do to get a guy like that?”

 

Annie sighed, rolling her eyes. Eventually, she relented before making her way back to the party downstairs in the grand ballroom. “I wish you were here, Yongguk,” she thought aloud. That way, none of these couple rumors between her and Himchan wouldn't become such a hot topic that night. As the time flew by, the other nannies have actually grown used to Annie's friendship with Himchan, often asking questions about him. Of course, she would politely answer them but wouldn't give much away.

 

Leaning against the railing looking down at the party below, the grand ballroom was neatly decorated with center pieces as well as fancy silverware, glassware, and even fine china. Annie admitted to feeling a bit out of place upon stepping foot inside but for once, she wanted to take advantage of this luxury before it's over. She deserved that much. Slowly, she made her way down the grand staircase the way Cinderella had done in the story minus the elegant gown and her own Prince Charming. Instead, she found Himchan waiting at the bottom of the staircase staring back up at her with an astonished expression plastered onto his handsome features. He smiled warmly back up at her before extending his arm. “May I have this dance?” he asked animatedly.

 

Annie chuckled, rolling her eyes. “As you wish,” she replied, allowing him to take her hand in his as he led her down to the dance floor.

 

The crowd on the dance floor diffused once a slower, more mellow, song began to play. Annie immediately perked up once she recognized the song itself. It was actually one of her songs growing up as her mother would sometimes sing it to her as she was tucking Annie into bed as a child. Himchan placed her hand on his right shoulder, as he placed his own hand on her waist then proceeded to pull her closer to him. Their faces inches apart. Annie swallowed hard as he led her, staring intently into her eyes as they danced. To lighten up the atmosphere a bit, he proceeded to sing along:

 

Some day, when I´m awfully low
When the world is cold
I will feel a glow just thinking of you
And the way you look tonight

 

He grinned back at her tenderly as he sang, Annie giggled as a result:

 

You´re lovely, with your smile so warm
And your cheeks so soft
There is nothing for me but to love you
And the way you look tonight

 

Instinctively, he slightly tipped her backwards prompting Annie to gasp, taken by surprise by the sudden move. Then quickly, he pulled her back up towards him again. Soon, they were nose to nose before he backed away from Annie, admiring her from head to toe. The song described her perfectly, he thought. It was now or never. She had to know. After a brief moment of silence, he reached out to brush a strand of hair away from her face, tucking it behind her ear before cupping her face in his right hand. “That night,” he began, his voice so soft and soothing like music to her ears. “When you let me stay at your place. I was drunk...”

 

Annie gulped, allowing him to continue as he rested his forehead against hers.

 

I remembered everything, Annie,” he told her. “I meant what I said. When I told you I loved you, I meant it.”

 

Her eyes widened. “What?” she replied breathlessly, moving her head away from him.

 

I love you, Annie,” he said softly before leaning in to kiss her.

 

She immediately turned her head away from him. “No,” she shook her head, blinking back tears. “You don't love me.”

 

I'm telling the truth, Annie,” he said firmly. There was a dark glint in his feline-like eyes. “I do love you.”

 

No,” she shook her head frantically. “You don't love me, Himchan. You can't love me. I'm in love with Yongguk.”

 

His jaw locked as he nodded without another word. “I know,” he replied curtly. “I'm too late, aren't I?”

 

I'm so sorry, Himchan,” she sniffled, looking away from him.

 

He sighed. “I wanted to tell you sooner but this whole thing with Miranda got blown out of proportion,” he said, finally reminding Annie of the subject they were trying to avoid that night. “I also wanted to tell you that I actually plan on taking Bang's advice.” She looked back up with him, listening intently. “I was actually willing to take full responsibility for my actions and I wanted you to stay by my side.”

 

She sniffled. “You know I'll do that for you,” she assured him. “Yongguk and I are both gonna stay by your side no matter what... You're our friend. You know we won't abandon you.”

 

He scoffed, shaking his head. “I figured you say that,” he chuckled wryly. Soon, he was blinking back his own tears.

 

I'm sorry if it seems like I've led you on in any way, Himchan. That wasn't my intention at all,” she looked away apologetically. “Everything I ever did for you was out of the kindness of my heart. And I want you to know that I'll always love you.”

 

But you're not in love with me,” he finished.

 

She looked away from him, focusing on the floor beneath them. “I'm so sorry...” she said softly.

 

So it's true?” a deep voice rang out from nearby. Annie and Himchan turned to find Yongguk, fuming at the both of them, particularly at his best friend. “What else have you two been keeping from me?”

 

Yongguk...” Annie uttered. The music had stopped and then the lights in the room brightened. Before long, the three of them were now the center of attention standing in the middle of the dance floor. Impulsively, Yongguk balled his fist before swinging it towards Himchan's jaw prompting him to double over. “Himchan!” she exclaimed worriedly as she stood in front of Yongguk to prevent him from doing any further damage. She wasn't kidding when she realized he was actually capable of murder once everything was blown out of proportion.

 

Himchan spat out blood before facing his best friend. “It's not what you think, Bang.”

 

Oh really?” Yongguk glared daggers at Himchan. If Himchan showed any signs of fear, there seemed to have been none. He must be used to it, she thought observing them. Seeing Yongguk angry intimidated Annie nonetheless. Now she felt extremely horrible for keeping such a secret from him. “I must get my ears checked but I'm pretty sure I heard about you staying the night at Annie's. I'm guessing it had something to do with that time I found you two at her apartment. Am I correct?” He stared expectantly at Himchan and Annie.

 

Nothing happened,” Annie spoke up finally.

 

Oh sure nothing happened,” Yongguk scoffed. “Bull. I heard Himchan spewing his heart out to you and you decide to keep this from me.”

 

She looked back up at him. “You don't get it,” she cried.

 

Don't get what?” he asked accusingly. “Try me, Annie.”

 

He's your best friend, Yongguk,” she defended Himchan. “I kept it from you because I didn't want this to happen. Honestly, I was hoping Himchan forgot about that night but I assure you that nothing happened. I couldn't let him drive home that night...”

 

But you still lied to me,” he countered back, seemingly hurt. “Unbelievable,” he swallowing hard, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down. He was trying his best not to snap any minute. It was then when Annie realized what she'd done and she felt terrible about it.

 

I'm so sorry, Yongguk...” her voice shook as she spoke. “I was gonna tell you, I swear.”

 

He scoffed. “When?” he asked, looking down at her. When she did not respond, he proceeded to walk off.

 

Wait!” she ran after him. He stopped to glance back at her with hurtful eyes before shaking his head then storming off once again. “Yongguk! Please! Wait!” She cried, unable to control her tears any longer. “I can explain!”

 

He ignored her, getting into his car, starting it up then proceeded to pull out of the parking lot.

 

Annie,” a voice rang out from behind. She didn't have to guess who it was. It was already obvious. As he panted, making his way towards her. Before she could walk off, he grabbed her arm. “Don't go...”

 

Annie watched Yongguk leave with tear-filled eyes. The tears itself blurred her vision but before long, his car soon disappeared from view. In turn, she shook Himchan's hand away before turning to head back inside. “I should go,” she spoke up finally.

 

Right away,” he nodded eagerly. “I'll go grab our jackets. You get Danny and I'll pull the car up front--”

 

No,” she interrupted him, shaking her head. “I'll just call a cab.”

 

He spoke up once again. “Annie, it's okay. I'll--”

 

No!” she cried out, shaking her head frantically. “I'm sorry, Himchan. I just can't be near you right now...”

 

His solemn expression deepened as he looked down at the ground in defeat. “I understand,” he managed to say finally.

 

Without another word, Annie made her way inside then proceeded to ascend the grand staircase. Nothing was grand about tonight, as she attempted to hold back her tears. Inside, she felt multiple pairs of eyes staring after her along followed by a crowd of hushed murmuring. Annie's gut feeling told her this will be the hot topic of discussion in the next coming days and she was dreading it. Moreover, it was Himchan's own hurtful yet intense gaze that she felt boring into her. It broke her heart having to leave him alone but after what happened with Yongguk, she couldn't bring herself to be near him. Glancing over her shoulder, and just like Yongguk, he was already gone.


A/N: Hello again! Here's another update for you guys! Please don't hate me for this chapter! I'm so sorry! >.< Everything will get better in time for our characters. As you all noticed, this is strictly focused on Annie and Himchan's moment together. So this chapter is for you Himchan-biased people. I kind of enjoyed writing this chapter because he does sing one of my favorite songs and imagine him in a black suit *_* Yeah... He sings "The Way You Look Tonight", you guys should totally listen to that song! I love it! One of my old time favorites! There are multiple versions of it. The many versions are beautiful but I was more focused on Michael Buble's as well as Rod Stewart's and the twins' version in My Best Friend's Wedding (to those of you who haven't seen the movie, please watch it! It's such a beautiful romcom and a bit of a tear-jerker.) I'll try to update soon but I had to get this chapter over with lol. I hope you enjoy it! So happy reading! ^^