Outcomes and Consequences

The Undomestic Nanny

Chapter 73

You're here,” Miranda acknowledged Annie as soon as she stepped foot into her office.

 

Annie was hesitant upon entering, remembering how tainted it felt to step inside the dreaded office. “You called,” Annie firmly stated, refusing to meet her eyes. “Did you need something?”

 

Actually now that you're here, I do need you to watch over Danny overnight,” she requested.

 

Annie's eyes widened. “I'm sorry?” She was clearly not expecting this twist of fate. Of course, she didn't mind watching over Daniel but timing on her part was not on her side at this point.

 

I have an important dinner to attend to,” she announced. “It seems my husband and I have to entertain some visitors and potential investors for the company and I see this as a way to rekindle some improvement in my marriage. Surely, you don't mind watching over Danny?” The obligatory look on Miranda's face told her she couldn't back out of this one.

 

Reluctantly, she had thought about her friends along the way but then Annie knew better than to back out of this now especially since she was the nanny and it would seem unprofessional and inconsiderate to decline. After a moment of consideration, Annie spoke up finally. “Not at all,” she said.

 

Miranda gave her a smile of satisfaction. “Good,” she said curtly. “I will have the maids provide you a change of clothes as well as toiletries and other necessities. Do you have any other questions?”

 

Annie shook her head. “Nope,” she replied through gritted teeth. “Not at all.”

 

Great! Now that it's been settled, I'll call Danny in here. Danny!” Miranda called out to her son from the office. “Come here!”

 

She heard a shuffle of footsteps making its way to them. Soon, Annie came face to face with Daniel as he ran over to hug her legs. “Hi noona!” he greeted her cheerily.

 

Annie's heart softened as she looked back down at him. Sighing, she leaned over to pick him up in her arms. “Hi, little man,” she greeted him with a warm smile. “Guess what? I'm staying the night again!”

 

Really?” Daniel beamed. “Cool! Could we play games this time?”

 

We can play whatever you want,” Annie promised him.

 

Great,” Miranda stood up from behind her desk. “Now that it's been settled, I should be getting ready for my—Ah!” A sharp, yet excruciating pain sent shock waves down her body. She clutched her abdomen, doubling over using her desk as support.

 

Annie gasped, setting the little boy down before running over to Miranda. “Are you okay?” she asked frantically.

 

Miranda brushed her off, attempting to help herself up. “I'm fine—Ah!” she cried out in pain once again.

 

Mommy...” Daniel uttered tearfully as he helplessly watched his mother doubling over in pain. “What's wrong?”

 

Nothing,” Miranda's voice shook. “Mommy's fine, Danny. Listen to your noona, okay? Mommy's gonna go out for a little while.”

 

No,” Annie said firmly. “You're not going out, Miranda. Not like this.”

 

I told you, I'm fine,” Miranda firmly stated rebuffing Annie's attempt to help her. “Now if you'll excuse me, I have a dinner to get to.” she finally said before proceeding to walk out of the room. “Ah!” she cried out again, nearly tumbling over. Annie reached out to steady her as she helped her settle onto a nearby chair.

 

Peering down below, she gasped as she spotted dark liquid seeping through her expensive skirt. “Miranda, you're bleeding,” Annie's voice shook. Soon, Miranda found herself feeling a little light-headed as the room began to appear a little blurry. “I'm gonna call 9-1-1,” Annie stood up but her employer prevented her from doing so.

 

No,” Miranda shook her head, attempting to keep her eyes opened. “Don't call anyone.”

 

But Miranda, we have to call for help,” Annie tried to reason with her.

 

No,” Miranda repeated once again. “Call my driver... I'll have him take me to the hospital.”

 

I'm going with you,” Annie firmly declared.

 

But what about Danny—“

 

He can come with us,” Annie insisted, glancing back at him.

 

Mommy...” he cried, walking over to her. “I'm scared...”

 

It's gonna be okay, Danny,” Miranda's voice shook as she his head with her manicured hand. “Mommy will be fine, okay?” A single teardrop rolled freely down her cheek.

 

Okay, Miranda,” Annie stood up straight, “You stay right here with Danny while I go call the driver, okay? Could you do that for me Danny?” The little boy nodded obediently. Annie soon shifted her gaze over to Miranda.

 

After a moment of consideration, Miranda finally nodded. “Annie,” she called out to her. Annie looked over her shoulder curiously. “Thank you.”

 

With a brief smile, Annie nodded. “I'll be right back,” she said before running off down the hall on the other side of the penthouse.

 

Mommy,” Daniel sniffled, as he sat beside her. “I'm scared...”

 

I know, baby,” Miranda croaked with tear-filled eyes as she reached out a hand to his cheek. “Mommy's gonna be fine, okay?”

 

Before long, Annie emerged from down the hall before making her way over to them.“The driver's got the car ready downstairs,” she announced finally.


 

To distract Daniel in the waiting room, Annie led him to the children's waiting area where he was able to play with a few toys as well as coloring with the crayons and coloring books they had provided. Occasionally, she would glance to check on him but he seemed to be fine. What worried her the most was Miranda's well-being as she paced outside up and down the hall in the examination room. As much as she hated to be a flake, knowing this was going to take all night, Annie had to break the news to them without revealing a bunch of details. Hey guys! Something came up this time and I can't make it. I'm really sorry and I promise I will make it up to you guys. :( Message sent.

 

Once it was sent, she found herself unable to sit still as she paced back and forth once again. Her friends must be enjoying themselves without her. Peering down at the screen, she contemplated calling Himchan. Having overheard Dr. McDreamy Minho and Miranda's muffled voices in the background, she vaguely made out the words 'baby' and other medical terms she could not quite understand. The baby's well-being as well as Miranda's was starting to worry her as Daniel soon made his way over to her.

 

Hey, little man,” Annie leaned over to ruffle his hair. “What's up?”

 

I'm bored,” he stated.

 

Annie sighed and nodded. “I know, and I'm really sorry,” she said looking down at him apologetically. “Just sit tight, okay?”

 

He nodded. “Where's Mommy?” he asked curiously.

 

She's inside right now,” Annie answered before handing him her phone. “Here. In the meantime, play some games while I check on your mommy, okay?”

 

He nodded obediently, as he took the phone from her then proceeded to settle onto a waiting bench.

 

Before long, Annie buried her face in her hands thinking back to the car ride to the hospital earlier.

 

On the way to the hospital, Miranda was trying her best to appear strong and calm for the sake of her son and his flustered nanny. “Mommy...” Daniel cried.

 

Miranda tried her best to blink back her tears as she reached over to his soft tear-filled cheek. “It's gonna be okay, Danny,” she calmly said. “Mommy's gonna be fine.”

 

Annie soon sat up, taking her phone out from her pocket. “I should call someone,” she immediately said, preparing to dial.

 

Miranda placed a hand over hers to prevent Annie from doing so. “No,” she firmly said. “Don't tell anyone. No one can know about this. You got that?”

 

But—“

 

Miranda held up a hand to stop her. “No buts,” she continued. “No one can know about this, Annie. I'm entrusting you with this.”

 

As much as she would like to counter back with a reasonable response, Annie knew better than to speak up. She had no idea why Miranda was being so stubborn and it was starting to annoy her. However, all those feelings were to be brushed aside since she was still in charge of watching over Daniel for the night. Given Miranda's current state at that moment, that dinner she had planned with her husband would have to be canceled nonetheless. “Then, I should at least call your husband,” Annie tried to reason once again.

 

No,” Miranda firmly declined once again, shaking her head frantically. She cried out in pain once again. “Don't call my husband. I'll get my secretary to handle matters for tonight. You just sit tight.” she managed to finally say.

 

Annie had no other choice but to comply with her employer's wishes nonetheless.


 

Daehyun, followed by Youngjae, Lucy, Jongup, Zelo, Yongguk, and Himchan all took out their phones to see a replicated text message from Annie. After reading the message, they all glanced at one another knowingly. The lively atmosphere at the table soon died down and Natasha seemed to have taken notice right away. “Why is everyone so quiet?” she asked, raising an eyebrow. “If I didn't know any better, someone died.” She joked. When no one laughed with her, her expression grew serious. “Okay. What happened?”

 

Something came up. She's not gonna make it,” Yongguk answered wearily, shaking his head.

 

Wow,” Natasha raised her eyebrows, nodding slowly. “I guess it really was an emergency.”

 

Himchan and Yongguk glanced at one another knowingly. They had a feeling Miranda may have manipulated Annie into doing something she was not willing to do which resulted in her absence that night. They couldn't help but worry for her.

 

The table soon grew silent. Yongguk's phone chimed once again. This time, it was another message from Annie herself. Could you apologize to your sister for me? I'm really sorry about leaving so abruptly. :/

 

Yongguk glanced at his sister then sighed. “What is it?” she asked curiously, furrowing her brows.

 

She said she's sorry, noona,” he said worriedly.

 

Natasha's heart softened. “Tell her not to worry about it,” she said. “I totally understand! I mean, I'm sure she's going to make it up to me somehow, right?” Annie's friends all nodded at once. Natasha then turned to Yongguk with a serious expression. “She's really sweet, Gukkie. Seriously, don't blow it.” She warned him.

 

Yongguk gaped at his older sister. “Why would you say that?” he asked incredulously.

 

Natasha shrugged. “I'm just saying,” she mused. “You've been through it twice before I don't need a three-peat. But then like they all say, 'The third time's a charm.'” She smirked.

 

Well, I really like her,” he firmly declared. “So I doubt I'll blow it.”

 

Aww...” the whole table cooed at once.

 

That just brought a tear to my eye,” Lucy remarked, prompting everyone to turn their attention to her. “Well, not really but you get the point!”

 

Yongguk soon grew flustered. “Okay, I get it. Are you guys done now?” he immediately brushed them off, with a slight grin.

 

As soon as the attention was taken away from him, he glanced down at his phone wearily. The worry was evident as Himchan studied him because Himchan, himself, was also worried. “I've got a bad feeling about this, Bang,” Himchan said, sighing heavily.

 

That makes two of us, Himchan,” Yongguk muttered. “What do you think is going on?”

 

Himchan shrugged. “Beats the hell out of me,” he answered honestly. “But knowing Miranda, there's always something.”

 

Should I worry?” Yongguk asked apprehensively.

 

It's Miranda, we're talking about here,” Himchan said flatly. “You have every reason to worry about your girl. But then, knowing Annie, I'm pretty sure she can handle herself.”

 

Yongguk relaxed a bit. “I guess you're right,” he chuckled lightly.

 

Himchan sighed. “So for now, just think about your sister,” he said, glancing over at Natasha, who was busy trying to brush off a patron attempting to hit on her as the rest of their friends watched on in amazement. “I'm sure Annie would want you to spend some much needed quality time with noona instead of sitting here worrying about her. I mean, you do trust Annie, right?”

 

Yongguk nodded, furrowing his brows in confusion. “Of course, I do,” he answered, as if it was a trick question.

 

Good, then trust Annie for now,” Himchan advised. “I mean I'm just as worried as you are but we won't find out what's up until she tells us herself. In the meantime, we just sit back and wait.”


 

The door finally burst open, prompting Annie to stand up immediately coming face to face with Dr. McDreamy Minho. Or simply Minho as he preferred to be called. Annie decided to settle for calling him Doctor since they didn't know each other on a personal level quite yet. Instead of the playful demeanor he showcased when he treated her eye injury a while back, this Minho wore a grave expression. Annie had every reason to worry as she glanced back at Daniel, who was busy trying to play Temple Run on her phone. Before she could begin questioning him, she was stunned to find Miranda emerging from behind him.

 

Mommy!” Daniel exclaimed, jumping out of his seat setting Annie's phone down on the chair as he made his way over to his mother. He immediately took it upon himself to cling onto her leg for dear life as if fearing he might lose her for good. Miranda didn't seem to pry him off. Annie found the scene to be touching nonetheless.

 

Is everything okay?” Annie asked worriedly as soon as she came face to face with Minho.

 

I'll be fine,” she immediately replied before Minho could respond. “Am I all good to go, Doctor?”

 

Minho hesitated for a moment, glancing wearily at Annie and then Miranda. “You're good to go, Miranda,” he nodded before glancing back at Annie. He grinned warmly at her. “Nice to see you again, Annie. I'm glad to see that your eye's okay.”

 

Miranda shot her a bewildered look, which prompted Annie to look away immediately. “Hello, Dr. Choi,” she greeted him sheepishly.

 

Do you two know each other?” Miranda asked, glancing from her doctor to her nanny. From what she noticed, Annie seemed to know everyone. It was a small world after all, she thought. Unless Annie and Minho had a relationship together. First Himchan, then Yongguk, and now her doctor? The girl moves fast.

 

Annie and Minho turned to face her. “Of course—not!” they spoke at once before turning to face each other.

 

Annie had to maintain a front despite the frown plastered on Minho's handsome face. “Sorry,” she mouthed to him, averting her eyes from him before shooting him a knowing look towards Miranda.

 

I believe you have some explaining to do,” Miranda sternly said, crossing her arms over her chest.

 

Annie glared at Minho. Thanks a lot, Doc, she wanted to say but decided to bite her tongue. Minho knew he upset her, which prompted him to give her an apologetic look in return.

 

I'm really sorry, Annie,” he mouthed with a slight shrug.

 

She shook her head, frowning.

 

Little did they know, Miranda was observing them up close. After a moment, she finally cleared to garner their attention. “You both can cut it out now,” she spoke up, breaking the silence.

 

Annie and Minho glanced at one another before slowly turning their heads to face her, like a bunch of school children preparing to get scolded by the headmaster.

 

What is going on with you two?” Miranda asked finally. “Clearly, you both have been lying to me. Particularly you, Annie.” She shot Annie a look which made her feel even smaller. “You're keeping something from me and I intend to find out.”

 

Eventually, Annie took a deep breath before speaking up. “Well, you remember that time I had that black eye, right?” Miranda nodded, staring back at Annie expectantly. “I may have told you a white lie and said I got hit by the door when in actuality I went to the batting cages the day before and well, I think you can put two and two together.”

 

Wait a minute,” Miranda spoke up, glancing down at Daniel. “Was this when Danny was supposed to be at musical practice?”

 

We needed a way to blow off steam?” Annie attempted a smile.

 

Miranda gasped, shaking her head. “Unbelievable,” she uttered incredulously.

 

Look, Miranda, I am really sorry!” Annie apologized. “I promise it won't happen again!”

 

Danny,” Miranda managed to grab his attention as she looked down at his beaming face. “Did you go to the batting cages with Annie?”

 

He giggled and nodded. “I had lots of fun with Annie noona and Yonggukie hyung,” he said before turning to Annie. “When can we go again, noona?”

 

You even brought Bang Yongguk with you?!” Miranda exclaimed, seemingly outraged.

 

Annie chuckled nervously. “Well technically, he offered to take us?” she recalled.

 

Minho chuckled. “Oh yeah, how is Yongguk doing anyways?” he chimed in.

 

In turn, Annie elbowed him on the side as she shot him a look in order to shut him up.

 

Oof!” he grunted in pain, glaring back at her. “What was that for?”

 

Thanks a lot,” she hissed.

 

Sorry, how was I supposed to know?” he hissed back.

 

She face-palmed herself, burying her face in her hands. “We need to have a talk,” Miranda sternly stated before walking off with Daniel in tow.

 

Sighing, Annie turned to face Minho. “Here goes nothing,” she said in a dreadful tone. “Wish me luck.”

 

Again, I'm really sorry, Annie,” he said sincerely.

 

It's fine, Doc,” she assured him before shifting over the topic. “One other thing.”

 

Sure, what is it?” he asked attentively.

 

A moment ago,” she began, “You hesitated a bit when I asked if she'll be okay. Will she be okay, Doctor?”

 

He sighed heavily, his playful demeanor from earlier soon faded into a more grave one. “That's for you to find out on your own, Annie,” he finally said, peering down at his phone. “Now if you'll excuse me, I have some patients to tend to. See you around.” He turned to leave.

 

Annie was left speechless as she watched his retreating figure make his way down the hall. What's that supposed to mean? She wondered, furrowing her brows in confusion.

 

You should have came sooner, Miranda,” Minho sternly said.

 

Well, I was too caught up with work and other stuff, I didn't have the time to come in for the check-ups, Doctor,” Miranda replied.

 

I thought we went over this before,” he countered back before reviewing his notes once again before looking back at her. “Have you been sleeping properly? I asked about your diet? What about your schedule? You said everything's fine.”

 

Well everything has been fine!” Miranda exclaimed, seemingly outraged at that moment. “It's fine, isn't it?” Her face fell suddenly when she saw the serious look on his face.

 

I'm sorry, Miranda,” he said, sighing heavily. “But I'm gonna need to run some more tests.”

 

Is my baby going to be okay?” she asked worriedly.

 

When he didn't answer, she knew the answer right away, sinking back against the cot. He stared back at her wearily. “I couldn't find any movement when I gave you that ultrasound,” he informed her. “No heartbeat or any other development.” He paused momentarily. “I'm terribly sorry, Miranda.”

 

She took a moment to digest this bit of information. The baby's gone, she thought, tears b the inner corners of her eyes. The baby's really gone. Before long, she broke down, sobbing to herself as Minho helplessly watched on. As soon as she regained her composure, she turned to face him. “Will I be able to conceive again?” she asked with a hint of hope in her tone.

 

He sighed, running a weary hand over his face before reviewing his notes to her once again. “So far, I can't exactly determine that right now,” he said. “I have to run some more tests. I can't promise you immediate results. I need to see you back here in a few days, maybe weeks but I can't be too sure. I'll be sure to keep you posted.” He stood up to leave.

 

But before he could do so, Miranda called out to him. “Doctor!” he looked over his shoulder. “Will you keep this between us for now?”

 

He gave her a slight smile then nodded. “Doctor-patient confidentiality, Miranda,” he said. “That's my job.”

 

Thank you,” she finally said, wiping away her tears. Soon, she got dressed then fixed her makeup before walking out of the room to join Annie and Daniel, who were seemingly worried for her well-being at that moment.

 

Miranda,” Annie's voice rang out, waking her from her reverie. “Is everything okay?”

 

She looked back at Annie, giving her a wry smile. “Everything's fine,” she nodded.

 

Annie breathed a sigh of relief. “That's great to hear! You had me worried back there!” she exclaimed, placing a hand over her chest.

 

You don't mind watching over Daniel though, do you?” Miranda asked, looking down at Daniel's sleeping figure on her lap.

 

Not at all,” Annie shook her head.

 

Great,” Miranda said. “I'll just have the driver drop you off at the penthouse then.”

 

Okay,” Annie nodded.

 

I have a bit of business to attend to with my husband,” she informed Annie.

 

Okay,” Annie nodded once again. “Take all the time you need.”

 

Thank you.”

 

Annie soon sat up, turning to face her once again. “One other thing,” she spoke up.

 

What is it?” Miranda asked, turning to face her.

 

That night, at the recital, you didn't make it...” Annie began, trailing off looking away sheepishly. “May I ask why?”

 

I was feeling extremely under the weather,” Miranda curtly replied.

 

Oh,” Annie uttered finally. “I see. At least you're feeling all better now, right?”

 

Miranda nodded, her lips forming into a thin line. Little did Annie know, that was when it all started. It began with a fever, then came the back pain as well as the abdominal pain. Miranda was feeling extremely weak and then the severe cramps took over. The bleeding soon escalated and as a result, she suffered the consequences. When Annie shifted her gaze away from them, Miranda looked back down at Daniel's sleeping figure, trying to blink away the tears that were threatening to fall. With a deep breath, she managed to prevent herself from crumbling as the driver drove them off into the night.


A/N: Hello again! Bet you didn't see the twist, didn't you? I apologize. I hope you enjoy it though. Think of this as a slap in the face. I'm taking a child development class and it's kind of helped me write this chapter a bit lol. Enjoy! Happy reading! ^^

P.S. One other thing... Minho hasn't disappeared completely quite yet. XD