The Stress Reliever

The Undomestic Nanny

Chapter 44

Eventually as the days flew by, Annie and Daniel continued to hang around Yongguk more often since they did happen to enjoy their stint at the arcade from before. It was a very soothing atmosphere. A kind of atmosphere where both Annie and Yongguk could relive their childhoods once again. They both knew they will always be kids at heart and it was one of the best feelings in the world. For once, Annie was laughing a lot more often as well as Daniel and Yongguk. This was like their little escape from the pressures of the outside world. Of course, Annie had made Daniel promise not to tell his mother about their little escape. Easily, he agreed right away in the hopes of coming again.

 

This time, however, Yongguk thought it would be nice for them to try out a new place, which of course would bring them straight to a sports center complete with a batting cage along with an indoor soccer stadium. Outside, there was a driving range. As Daniel ran inside, Annie was left alone with Yongguk. “Why are we here again?” she asked curiously, raising an eyebrow.

 

He turned to face her. “Haven't you always wanted to come to a place to let out all that anger you've been bottling up?” he asked.

 

Yeah,” she nodded. “But I take a stroll in the park with my handy journal for stuff like that.”

 

He soon remembered still having her journal but decided to brush it off for now. “Yes, you can do that,” he told her. “But this place allows you to let it all out physically. Taking a stroll in the park and writing in your journal are really quiet activities to be stress relievers. Maybe it's time to try out something new.”

 

She nodded slowly in understanding. “It's always nice to try out new things,” she said looking around at the atmosphere. There were a lot of guys and young boys all around carrying their gear and equipment splitting up into different sectors of the building. Some brought their golf clubs and went outside to the driving range. Some brought their baseball gear and headed straight for the batting cages. And lastly, she spotted a few school boys dressed in their soccer gear heading towards the indoor soccer field. “Where are we heading exactly?” she asked curiously turning to face him.

 

Follow me,” he said leading her and Daniel to the equipment rental area. He walked over to the employee to converse with him leaving Annie alone with Daniel momentarily.

 

That looks like fun, doesn't it?” she asked, leaning down to face the four year old.

 

He nodded innocently. “When can we play?” he asked curiously.

 

We can play once your hyung comes back,” she told him as she looked around the atmosphere with him.

 

Soon, Yongguk approached them with three helmets and two baseball bats. “Here you go,” he said handing one over to Annie.

 

What is this?” she asked, examining it cautiously.

 

It's a helmet,” he replied. “What does it look like?”

 

Yeah, but why do I need a helmet?” she asked.

 

He rolled his eyes and shook his head. “You need a helmet if you want to swing at some balls, Annie,” he said, his expression flat.

 

We're swinging at some balls?” she repeated.

 

Yongguk gaped at her and shook his head. “Just follow me and stop hounding me with questions,” he sighed then reached down to take Daniel's hand in his. “Come on, little man. Let's show your nanny how to play a little baseball.”

 

Okay,” Daniel nodded, beaming as he allowed Yongguk to lead him away.

 

Annie stood dumbfounded as she watched them walk away from her. “Baseball?” she bellowed. Soon, she was reminded of playing tee ball in the second grade. Her class was split into two teams. The coach made her play shortstop and her very first crush made his way to the plate. He swung the bat and soon the ball came flying towards her, hitting her in the face as a result. She remembered wailing like a baby that day. It was not a pretty sight but it was enough to traumatize her into not going near a baseball for a while.

 

However, all of that changed until she met Lucy, who was known as a softball legend all throughout elementary school up until their last year of high school. For their class graduation game against the teachers, Lucy was the first to push Annie to the plate. Shaking, she managed to hit the ball a few yards despite getting two strikes. Still, that was so long ago. She couldn't forget the presence of Daehyun and Youngjae in the audience cheering the girls on which may have factored into Annie hitting the ball successfully. It wasn't exactly a success as she got out after failing to run to second base but it was still progress in her eyes. Their team ended up losing to the teachers in the end but it was still a fun game nevertheless.

 

Making her way to the boys, Annie found Yongguk and Daniel with their helmets on at a cage by the far end of the room against the wall. There was a little tee set up and Yongguk was showing Daniel some pointers on how to swing the bat. The interaction was really adorable which brought a smile to her face. Yongguk was kneeling behind Daniel showing him how to aim and hit the ball. Daniel already looked adorable wearing his own little helmet. He looked amazed when he finally swung the bat, hitting the ball on the tee, on his own. “Nanny!” he exclaimed excitedly looking over at her. “Did you see that? Did you see that?” he asked eagerly. “I just hit the ball!”

 

Annie giggled and nodded. “Good job, Danny!” she gave him a thumbs up.

 

Yongguk stood up straight then made his way over to her. “Glad you could make,” he remarked with a smirk. “I thought you got lost or something.” he said teasingly, which earned a shove from Annie.

 

She scoffed. “Me? Lost? Please,” she said with a flip of her hand. “Anyways, what do I do now?”

 

Well, first things first,” he looked down at the helmet in her hand. “You should put on your helmet.” He advised.

 

Yes sir!” she mock-saluted him then did as she was told. “How do I look?” she asked once she placed it on her head.

 

Adjusting it with his own hands, he gave her an approving smile. “Like a slugger,” he said with a wink. He had to admit, she did look very cute, he thought as he led her to another cage next to Daniel's. “Wait right there,” he instructed her motioning to the bench. She did as she was told as he made his way into the cage. “Watch closely,” he said looking over at her, picking up his bat. A ball came flying out of the machine towards him and Yongguk swung his bat flawlessly hitting the ball.

 

Annie looked utterly amazed. “That was impressive,” she finally said, applauding him.

 

He grinned over at her. “Thanks,” he said. “Now, you try it,” he told her stepping out of the cage, holding the net open for Annie to come inside.

 

M-me?” she bellowed, pointing to herself.

 

No, I was talking to that wall behind you,” he said sarcastically, shaking his head. “Yes, you. Who else?”

 

She gulped. “I-I don't know about this, Bang,” she said worriedly looking at the machine ahead.

 

Come on, Annie,” he insisted.

 

Sighing, she eventually stood up then made her way over to him as he held out the bat for her. “Here goes nothing,” she muttered to herself prompting him to perk up and look at her.

 

It'll be fun,” he told her, stepping out from the cage then adjusting the net.

 

Easy for you to say,” she turned to face him.

 

Have you ever hit a ball before?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

 

Of course, I have!” she laughed out loud, there was a hint of nervousness in her tone as she spoke.

 

Okay...” he nodded slowly but cautiously. He was beginning to question his intentions, unsure if it was a good idea to leave her to fend for herself. She looked flustered at the moment. “Are you okay?” he asked narrowing his eyes, concerned for her.

 

Yes, I'm fine!” she exclaimed, her tone was high-pitched.

 

Hey, Danny! Come sit with hyung so we can watch your nanny play ball,” Yongguk called over to the four year old, who obediently made his way over to him settling beside him on the bench. Shifting his attention back to her, he saw Annie tense up as she waited for the ball to come flying.

 

AHHH!” She shrieked when the first ball came flying towards her head. She ducked out of the way and cowered in the corner. Getting up, she stepped up to the plate and held up the bat, shaking.

 

Are you sure about that?” he called over to her.

 

Yes, I'm sure!” she called back. Another ball came flying at rapid speed prompting her to shriek once again. “AHHH!” This time, her scream was garnering the attention of the other patrons. “I'm okay!” she exclaimed, sensing multiple pairs of eyes staring at her.

 

Dude, she doesn't sound okay,” someone murmured. Yongguk turned to face the guy. “You should go help her out, man. I mean, look at her. She's shaking.”

 

Thanks,” Yongguk said dryly, standing up. He then made his way inside the cage over to Annie.

 

She seemed surprised to see him. “I said, I'm fine,” she told him.

 

Yeah, well you don't sound so fine,” he said moving closer to her. “I was advised to help you. And I have to admit, you look like you're about to pee in your pants right now.” Annie pouted in return. He then took position behind her. “Okay, stand a few inches away from the plate,” he instructed her. She did as she was told, waiting for him to continue. “Spread your legs,” Annie looked over at him raising an eyebrow. “Hey. Don't make this anymore awkward than it already is.” he muttered. “Just do as I say,” she nodded obediently. “Okay, now position the bat,” he continued.

 

What came next caused Annie to freeze up. Yongguk placed his hand on her waist then moved closer to her so that her rear was against his front. Annie literally felt goosebumps creeping through her body. He then placed his hands over hers. “Now, onto swinging the bat,” he said, his breath hot against her skin. Annie swallowed hard, her heart began racing rapidly and she couldn't do anything to control it. “Bend your knees slightly,” she continued to do as she was told. “Lean forward a little,” he said, his husky voice rang into her ears. “Okay, that's good.” His voice never sounded so y, she thought. She felt as if her soul had left her body momentarily when he moved their arms together to demonstrate swinging the bat properly. “Now you try it,” he told her.

 

Huh?” she turned her head slightly to face him. Her eyes managed to stare straight at his lips. The lips she nearly kissed a few days ago. She remembered it clearly and she waited for another opportunity hoping for it to happen again. Next time, she told herself, she will not back away.

 

He chuckled, flashing his white teeth. “I told you to try swinging,” he told her, stepping back. “Don't worry, I won't leave you alone. I'll be right here if you need me.” he said, leaning against the pole holding up the net.

 

She nodded. “Right,” she chuckled nervously, then turned to stare at the machine ahead.

 

Remember what I told you,” he said. “Bend your knees slightly and lean forward a little. Don't grip the bat too tightly. And remember, don't be afraid of the ball.” He continued. “Just think of it as hitting someone's head. Someone you really hate,” he said with a little emphasis.

 

Got it,” she said giving him a thumbs up.

 

Go Annie! You can do it!” he encouraged her holding up his fist then glanced over at Daniel. “Right, Danny?”

 

Yeah! Go Annie noona!” the little boy exclaimed holding up his own fist, mimicking Yongguk's gesture.

 

Thanks guys!” Annie called out to them. She was more determined to succeed this time around. There was no reason to be afraid anymore, she told herself as she focused on the incoming ball.

 

After a few tries, she somewhat got the hang of it despite striking out one too many times. Yongguk still stuck around inside the net just in case. “You're doing a good job,” he said encouragingly.

 

Whenever she swung the bat, she imagined the incoming ball as Miranda's head as cruel as it sounded. Annie could not forget Daniel's father either. That arrogant pig deserved a hit on the head just as much as his y wife. It was like a match made in Hell, she thought angrily. In the beginning, she imagined the ball as Daehyun's head because his voice would often ring out in her head telling her. “I told you so,” his voice would say smugly.

 

Of course Youngjae's voice would ring out as well. “You'll thank us later,” he would say.

 

Both guys were obviously referring to Yongguk which was no surprise at all. They would have a field day if they found out about Annie's own realization. Yes, she has feelings for Yongguk. As if it wasn't already obvious. They were always there, she was just too prideful to admit it. Despite their differences, they still managed to develop a close bond all thanks to Daniel. She was beginning to wonder if he too felt the same way. Maybe he did, given the fact that he almost initiated that kiss in the photo booth but who was she to assume? She was used to being strung along so maybe Yongguk had similar intentions like the other guys. But a part of her did not want to believe it. He had to give her a valid reason as to not categorize him with the other guys. He is different, she told herself.

 

Lost in her own thoughts, she did not seem to hear him call out to her. “Annie, watch out!” he cried out.

 

Annie turned her head only to collide head-on with an incoming ball coming into contact with her face. It was like the second grade all over again. Only this time, the ball was a lot more harder and faster than expected. Soon, she found her vision turning black as she collapsed to the ground.


 

Will she be okay?” she heard a deep voice rang out into the distance. Annie could sort of make the sounds of shuffling along with the sound of beeping.

 

She'll be fine,” another voice rang out answering the first person's question. “She's very lucky. There's no serious damage or anything. All she needs is to take some of the antibiotics I prescribe to her and she'll be fine in no time. She took the hit like a champion, huh?” the male voice chuckled. “I get concussion patients all the time and some were not as fortunate as Annie, here.” He said somberly. “However, there is gonna be some bruising...”

 

Oh, man,” the deep-voiced figure sounded flustered. “She's not gonna be happy about this...”

 

Mr. Bang,” the other figure said reassuringly. “Accidents happen all the time. It's not your fault. She was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. She'll understand.”

 

Dr. Choi,” Yongguk spoke up. “You don't know her as well as I do...”

 

Annie slowly opened her eyes. “I think she's waking up,” the doctor said shifting his attention over to her. “Hello, Annie,” he greeted her warmly. She sat up and looked around the white room. Only then did she realize she could only see with one eye. The doctor could sense right away that she was beginning to panic. Placing his hand over hers and caressing it softly, he gave her a warm smile. “It's gonna be okay,” he said in an assuring tone. Annie took one look at him. For a doctor, he was pretty handsome, she thought. He was also a young one at that but that was beside the point at the moment. What she wanted to know was what had happened for her to wake up here in the hospital. She looked over to find Yongguk standing beside the handsome doctor (whose name was Minho from what she read on the badge hanging from his white doctor's coat). Daniel, on the other hand, was sitting at a little table coloring inside a coloring book to notice.

 

What happened?” she asked finally.

 

The handsome doctor looked over at Yongguk. “It's all you, buddy,” he said slapping Yongguk's back reassuringly as he stepped back.

 

He chuckled nervously looking over at her. “Annie,” he managed to say. “Um, I don't know how to tell you this but a ball came flying and happened to hit you in the face which, you know, explains what happened to your other eye...” He trailed off scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

 

What?!” she exclaimed, her tone was panicky as she glanced around frantically in the hopes of finding any trace of a mirror in sight so she could see the damage for herself. Soon, she pushed herself off the bed as soon as she saw the bathroom.

 

Wait!” Yongguk and the handsome doctor became fully alert as they helped her.

 

Annie, in turn, slapped their hands away. “Don't touch me!” she hissed as she ran into the bathroom. Flicking on the light switch to her right, she came face to face with an image staring back at her. The girl in the mirror had a giant bandage covering her left eye. She gasped, placing her hands over .

 

Then, Yongguk peered inside. Annie turned to face him, her expression darkened. Uh-oh... he thought, swallowing hard. “Surprise,” he chuckled nervously.

 

Turning back to face her reflection, she let out a scream. “AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!” The scream was enough to silence the whole building momentarily. “My—my f-face...” she uttered.

 

Yongguk turned to the handsome doctor and sighed. “You see what I mean?” he said motioning to the girl staring in the mirror.

 

The handsome doctor raised his eyebrows and nodded slowly. “I see,” he mused, slightly grinning in astonishment.


A/N: Okay I'd like to give a shout out to my girl yongharu21 (check out her stories, everyone! ^^). This chapter is dedicated to you in a way lol. ;) I hope you like it. As for the rest of you readers and subbies, I hope this chapter made you laugh as much as it made me laugh. It was a lot funnier in my head. :-P And for all you SHINee fans (like yongharu21), Minho makes a slight cameo in this chapter as the handsome doctor. Those of you who saw Minho in doctor scrubs please raise your hands! I may not be a Shawol but damn... HOT DAMN is a better way to describe it lol.

I wrote this chapter because I've always wanted to go to the batting cages but like Annie, I'm kind of scared too. However, the sports center they went to had a driving range. I've been to a driving range before and it was a lot of fun. I'd love to go again but it's a little too far from my house and I don't have any golf clubs. Oh well. Anyways, enjoy! :D

I also like to take this time to thank those of you who commented, especially yongharu21, dreamingunderstars, OhHai_Channie, and Wisla85. Thank you guys for your comments. You have no idea how much I really appreciate your comments and feedback! You guys are a hilarious bunch and I want to thank you for showing this story a lot of love (even though I almost didn't publish it >.<). Also, I'd like to shout out to intotheocean! It's nice to know that I have another fellow Josh Hartnett fan to fangirl with! ;)