Game Day

The Undomestic Nanny

Chapter 43

What have you got there?” asked Himchan as soon as Daniel was out of the room.

 

Annie looked up from the check-list given to her from Miranda. “Oh. This? It's just a list,” she answered then shifted her attention back to the list.

 

Of?” he raised an eyebrow settling beside her in an adjacent chair.

 

Daniel's birthday is coming up,” Annie sighed. “And she gave me a bunch of things to do to ensure that his birthday is perfect and nothing goes wrong.” She then pointed to it. “Look, there are a million things to do and I don't even know where to start.”

 

Taking the list from her, he studied it raising his eyebrows along the way. “How demanding,” he commented.

 

Tell me about it,” she muttered. “It's like she expects me to do a million things at once when watching her son is like a full-time job for me as it is.” She grumbled. “I'm gonna be so stressed out once this is over with and done.”

 

You know, you could just simply say 'no',” he said, referring to Yongguk's words from the night before.

 

Annie gave him a look. “It's work, Himchan,” she remarked. “I can't say 'no' to work. That would make me look bad. As if I'm not already on her bad side as we speak...” She muttered, trailing off. “And when do I say 'no' to her? I can't do that, remember? Speaking of which, I mean did you see the way she looked at me when we were talking in the living room? Again, what the hell is her problem?” She asked irritably.

 

Himchan sighed knowingly. “Yes, I did notice,” he said. “But you have to remember what I told you, don't get discouraged by her. You have a professional relationship with her so you shouldn't take her attitude towards you personally.”

 

Easy for you to say,” she muttered. “You're a guy.”

 

What's that supposed to mean?” he asked rather defensively.

 

Um, guys tend to not let things faze them so much?” she replied as if it was a trick question, shaking her head and rolling her eyes.

 

That's true,” he said nodding in agreement as he considered it a moment. “But not just guys, girls can learn to not to take things so personally either.” He looked back over at her. “You should try it sometime.”

 

She sighed dramatically. “Sure thing, Mom.” she said.

 

He sneered. “You sure enjoy calling me that, don't you?”

 

Why? Do you not like it?” she asked innocently.

 

I didn't say that,” he frowned, his tone was flat.

 

Well, get used to it, Mom,” she said teasingly.

 

He smirked. “I'm actually starting to think of it in a way,” he said wiggling his eyebrows.

 

Annie gave him a disgusted look. “Ew! I take it back! Should I just call you Channie instead?” she winked.

 

He froze. That's what she called him as the memories from the night before in the alley came flooding back to him. His playful demeanor soon vanished and Annie seemed to have noticed right away. “Please don't,” he managed to say.

 

What's wrong? Are you okay?” she asked, concerned.

 

Just don't ever call me that!” he demanded, his tone was very frightening which prompted Annie to flinch slightly.

 

O-Okay,” she nodded slowly but cautiously. “I promise I won't.” She stood up abruptly. “Anyways, I should go check up on him,” she said pointing to the door then immediately rushed out before Himchan could even respond.

 

In no time, he was left alone in the room, speechless.


 

Am I the only one who thinks he's been acting weird? Annie thought as she was placing her elbow on the table, leaning against it. After he lashed out at her momentarily, she had been trying her best to keep her distance from him. He somewhat intimidated her when he was angry. Was it something she said? And the way he would often tense up when Miranda was in the room? It was understandable for Annie to tense up, but Himchan tensing up in her presence? Wasn't he was the one who advised her to not let Miranda discourage her?

 

Only then, Annie had begun to take note of Miranda's behavior towards Himchan whenever she was in the room. Often times, Miranda would speak civilly and politely to Annie but it still come off as smug nevertheless. At least that's what Annie thought. Of course when Himchan would arrive for his lesson, he would often greet Annie in his usual friendly manner. Miranda would then witness the friendly exchange and as a result, she would look at Annie contemptuously which intimidated her to no end. She honestly did not see a problem and yet it seemed as if Miranda had a personal vendetta against her. Like husband, like wife, she thought as she sighed aloud.

 

What's up with you?” a deep-voiced figure interrupted her stewing thoughts.

 

She winced slightly. “Nothing,” she said staring back, a little dazed, at him as he sat across from her.

 

Daniel's birthday was around the corner and she was overwhelmed with the planning. Knowing this, Yongguk finally decided to take them up on his offer by taking Daniel and Annie to the arcade, complete with a play area and video games, like he had promised before. Briefly, Annie was left alone to stew in her thoughts while the boys were off running around. She admitted that seeing Yongguk playing with the other kids was adorable. He looked like one at that but then he was still a sore thumb in the crowd nevertheless. The other kids seemed to love him as he laughed and played along with them.

 

Daniel seemed to be enjoying himself, laughing hysterically and running around with all the other kids his age. Looking around the joint, she thought it would be ideal for someone Daniel's age to have his birthday at a place like this. But then, knowing his mother, she probably wouldn't have approved of it anyways. She should have at least allowed Daniel to enjoy his childhood for once. It's unfair when she thought about it. Even Daniel seemed to be enjoying himself for crying out loud! His happiness was contagious and he deserved to have fun! She thought earnestly.

 

Are you sure about that?” Yongguk asked, raising an eyebrow. “You've been quiet all morning. And knowing you, you sure like to chat up a storm when you're with me, so I would assume something's up. Is it Miranda?”

 

Annie glared at him at first but softened soon after. “Not really,” Annie shook her head and sighed once again. “Where's Danny?” She asked looking around curiously.

 

He looked around and shrugged. “He's around. Probably off running around in the play area.”

 

You left him alone?!” Annie exclaimed, her eyes widening.

 

He'll be fine,” he assured her. “The mothers and other babysitters in the room offered to look after him for me while I'm gone. I told them I'd be back. I came to check up on you,” he said.

 

Annie rolled her eyes. “You do know that they're only offering to look after him because they think you're hot, right?” She told him, raising her eyebrows.

 

Oh really?” he raised his brows and shrugged indifferently. “I didn't seem to notice.”

 

Of course you don't,” she muttered, shaking her head.

 

Her statement, however, was true, which came as no surprise. When the three of them entered the building, a bunch of women were gawking at Yongguk like he was a piece of meat. He didn't seem to notice since he was busy showing off a bunch of cool things to Daniel.

 

Your gloomy mood is beginning to rub off on me,” he muttered sneeringly at her.

 

She glared at him once again. “Look. The last thing I want is to bring anyone's mood down which explains why I'm sitting here and not playing with you guys,” she barked back.

 

And yet, you're the one who said I was no fun,” he smirked, shaking his head chuckling.

 

I am fun!” she argued back.

 

Oh yeah?” he raised an eyebrow. “Prove it.” He said in a challenging tone.

 

She scoffed. “Are you challenging me?” she asked. finding herself laughing at how ridiculous this exchange sounded at the moment.

 

Maybe,” he said, looking around the room feigning innocence.

 

Fine,” she shot up out of her chair. “Bring it on, Bang.” She said, in her own challenging tone.

 

Oh it's on, all right,” he chuckled standing up, he then led her into the game room. When they arrived, the other games were filled up, leaving no other options.

 

Annie frowned. “Everything is all filled up,” she pointed out.

 

There's gotta be an available game somewhere,” he mused as he was looking around.

 

Eventually, his gaze had landed on a basketball game in the far corner of the room. Annie followed his gaze, her jaw dropped to the ground in the process.

 

No! Absolutely not!” she exclaimed, immediately shaking her head.

 

Why not?” he asked, pursing his lips slightly.

 

Because I at basketball, that's why!” she looked away, blushing.

 

Well, look here, Annie,” he sighed. “We're kind of out of options at this point.” He was right. Soon, he led her towards the back inserting a few tokens then handing her a ball. “Show me what you got.” Reluctantly, she took the ball from him with a frown. “You should smile often. It suits you,” he . Annie continued to glare at him, scrunching her nose in disgust as she looked down at the ball in her hands. Yongguk frowned. “Anyways, I should explain the rules of the game.”

 

I know the rules,” she immediately said. “You act as if I never touched a basketball in my life.”

 

I'm sorry,” he gazed down at her apologetically. “I just heard you say you at basketball, that's all.”

 

Just because I say I does not mean I don't know the rules,” Annie barked back. “There's a huge difference, Bang. I'm sure you're smart enough to know that.”

 

Did you just call me dumb?” he uttered in surprise.

 

Of course not!” she replied sarcastically.

 

He glared at her. “Well anyways, let's talk about the prize.” He smiled expectantly.

 

Annie raised an eyebrow. “Oh?” she turned to face him.

 

Loser gets to grant one wish to the winner,” he told her.

 

Deal,” she nodded in agreement. “We should start the game before the buzzer goes off.” She said immediately turning to shoot the ball towards her basket. She went too fast for him to catch up to her.

 

Wait!” he exclaimed, turning to shoot towards his own basket. “That's cheating! Annie! This is not fair!”

 

Well, I'd hate to break it to you, Bang, but life's unfair,” she said. throwing Daehyun's favorite phrase back at him. She soon burst into laughter as she continued shooting baskets.

 

You had a head start!” he whined as he continued shooting his own baskets. “That's cheating!” Then, smirking mischievously, he began to aim at her basket which, in turn, had caught her off guard.

 

What the hell, Bang?” she scowled then proceeded to shoot towards his basket. “Now, who's cheating?”

 

Don't hate the player, hate the game!” he exclaimed, laughing hysterically.

 

Bring it on, Bang!” she cried out.


 

After a few rounds, Yongguk eventually won. “Aha! In your face!” he exclaimed tauntingly. “Even after all that cheating, you still couldn't beat the Bangster! Haha!”

 

Annie gaped at him, still clearly reeling from her loss. “That's not fair! You picked the game knowing I at it!” she exclaimed pointing at him accusingly. “And Bangster? Seriously?” she scoffed. “Even the nickname itself has douchebag written all over it.”

 

Who're you calling a douchebag?” he barked back. Soon, his mouth formed into a sly grin, reaching out to pinch her cheek. “Don't be a sore loser, Annie.” She swiped his hand away. “I mean since you lost, you know what that means, right?”

 

Yes,” she grumbled crossing her arms over her chest, scowling. “What do you want?”

 

He glanced over at a photo booth across the room. “Take a picture with me,” he said with a hopeful grin.

 

Annie looked over at the photo booth. “I don't think that's a good idea, Bang,” she said cautiously turning back to face him.

 

Why not?” he frowned.

 

I'm not exactly camera ready at the moment,” she said looking down at her wardrobe which was her signature comfortable shorts and a loose fitting t-shirt. Not to mention, her hair was in a messy ponytail and she had a lack of make-up on at the moment.

 

You look fine,” he said reassuringly. “And one picture won't hurt,” he insisted.

 

After a moment of considering it, she caved eventually. He did win their little game fair and square. She didn't want to seem like a for not granting his wish and it's not like he was asking for anything extreme. “Fine, I'll take a picture with you if you promise to hide it forever,” she said.

 

He raised his hands in defeat. “I'll make sure it won't see the light of day,” he promised.

 

Deal,” she said. Together, snaking her arm around his, Yongguk led her away into the crowd of children and teenagers, as they were occupying their own games, over to the photo booth.

 

Ladies first,” he offered as soon as they got to the booth. They came right in time since the people before had already left. Annie did as she was told and slid inside first followed by Yongguk as he slid in beside her. He slid the curtain shut. “Ready?” he asked turning to face her.

 

Their faces were inches apart. The feel of his breath against her skin sent a slight shiver down her spine. Annie swore she could hear her heart racing and began to wonder if he could hear it too. Gulping, she eventually nodded.

 

He inserted a few tokens into the machine then picked a few options for their pictures. Hopefully they turned out decent, Annie thought. Placing his arm around her shoulder, he pointed to the lens. “Okay, smile!” he told her as he flashed his gummy grin facing the camera lens.

 

Annie smiled along and giggled at his sudden use of funny faces. “Weirdo...” she muttered snickering. She rolled her eyes at his silliness. Looking at Yongguk, she felt something she hadn't felt in a while. And it was a warm, fuzzy feeling at that. For once, she was enjoying herself forgetting about her own problems. Whether it was about her daily struggles or Miranda, it hadn't crossed her mind at that moment. She slowly turned to gaze over at him. He was still making funny faces. She grinned giddily in response.

 

Eventually, Yongguk finally turned to face her. The gummy grin slowly faded as he averted his eyes down to Annie's lips. Instinctively, he leaned in closer to her slightly pursing his own lips. Annie froze, her heart thumping a lot louder than before but she couldn't bring herself to move or back away. She gulped before finally closing her eyes slowly.

 

Oh , it's happening! Her inner voice rang out. Don't back away now, Annie! It's really going to happen! AHHHH!!!!

 

His breath was really hot against her skin, which in turn brought shivers down her spine once again. Before his lips could brush hers, a voice from outside rang out. “Hey, hurry it up in there!” They both immediately backed away from one another. Damn it, she thought.

 

We should get out of here,” he finally said after clearing his throat.

 

Sure thing,” she nodded in agreement. He stood up then sliding the curtain open, stepped out of the booth holding it open for her. “Thank you,” she said curtly as the next people in line waiting to use it entered as soon as she stepped out. She breathed out a sigh of relief. It was really starting to get hot in that booth so it felt nice to get a whiff of cool air breezing inside the building.

 

He went over to the slot and took out two strips which turned out to be their photos from the booth. “They don't look too bad,” he told her. Annie glanced over his shoulder to see. It may not be the best picture in the world, but what mattered was that they both appeared to be enjoying themselves. “Here, this one is for you,” he said, holding it out to her.

 

Taking it from him, Annie looked down at it with a smile on her face. “Thanks,” she said looking up at him tenderly.

 

He grinned. “Come on, let's go find Danny,” he said, then led her away out of the crowded room.


A/N: Hello again! I kind of ran out of ideas at this point so I thought I'd treat you to more Yongguk and Annie moments. I hope this brought a smile to your face like it did to mine ;) Annie is slowly starting to suspect something about Himchan as you all can see. But of course, hanging around Yongguk takes her mind off of her worries. I'm so happy at the moment guys! You know why? I finally got the Backstreet Boys new album "In A World Like This" and am currently jamming to it as I was writing this! I'm just a little sad I won't be able to see them in concert next month :( Oh well, I hope they have another concert soon.

Also, I got Beast's "Hard to Love, How to Love" album! I guess today is just my lucky day! Anyways, enjoy this chapter! I'll update soon once again! ^^