Late Night Company

The Undomestic Nanny

Chapter 18

There was a tub of rocky road ice cream set on the coffee table, Annie and Lucy were settling on the couch wearing their pajamas and watching a drama. At least they were trying to watch it, but the whole time Lucy pushed Annie for details about Yongguk and Himchan. “Wow, two best friends,” Lucy said gaping at her best friend. “This is starting to sound like a drama.”

 

Both girls glanced at the TV screen and immediately burst into laughter. “That's a sign that we watch too many dramas,” Annie said between fits of giggles.

 

Tell me about it,” Lucy added.

 

But no, this is nothing like a drama,” Annie finally said. “I don't plan on pursuing anything with anyone.”

 

Are you crazy?!” Lucy exclaimed dramatically. “You are talking to two really hot guys! Why wouldn't you want to pursue anything with them??”

 

Calm down, woman,” Annie hissed. “And to answer your question, I can't.”

 

Why not?”

 

A lot of things...”

 

Like?”

 

They're best friends,” Annie answered.

 

And?” Lucy raised an eyebrow.

 

They know Dae and Jae,” she continued.

 

Okay...” Lucy looked at her best friend in confusion. “I honestly don't see a problem in all of this.”

 

They're out of my league,” Annie finally said sighing.

 

So what? And no they're not!” Lucy came to her defense. “If they're out of your league they wouldn't be talking to you, you .”

 

Annie sighed, “Good point Luce... But I still can't.”

 

Lucy groaned in frustration. “Why not?”

 

Well Lucy, I feel like my job is gonna be on the line, if I become distracted Miranda could fire me like the last nanny,” Annie informed her. “She got fired for flirting with the driver. Besides, I can't afford to have distractions. Remember, I need money to move out of here and go back to school. Don't forget that.”

 

You just had to remind me,” Lucy muttered and sighed. “Annie, I honestly don't want you to leave. I actually like having you here. It's less quiet. It's like you bring life to this dingy little apartment.”

 

You really think so?” Annie asked clearly touched by her best friend's sudden confession.

 

Lucy nodded. “I'm considering getting a new place if they promote me at the cafe,” she said. “I was wondering if you wanted to move in with me.”

 

I can't let you do that, Luce,” Annie shook her head. “You've already done enough.”

 

Come on, Annie,” Lucy pestered her. “It'll be like it is now. Just with a bigger and better place with hot water and less noisy neighbors. I hope we don't get a creepy landlord either.”

 

Good point,” Annie noted. “But I'll think about it.”

 

Okay,” Lucy nodded then decided to shift the topic. “So who do you like more, Yongguk or Himchan?”

 

Are we seriously back to this topic again?!” Annie whined.

 

Annie, I'm your best friend,” Lucy pouted. “You can tell me.”

 

How about neither?” Annie smirked pulling her best friend's leg.

 

You liar,” Lucy sneered. “You're just avoiding the topic.”

 

Exactly,” Annie said smirking.


 

I don't get why she's making me go buy more tampons this late at night,” Annie said grumbling as she was making her way over to the nearest convenient store. Lucy started her period that night and since Annie was the one to use the last of the tampons, she had to be in charge of buying them.

 

Once she was out the store, the cool breeze hit her which prompted her to zip up her turquoise hoodie. For a summer night, it sure was cold, she thought as she continued making her way down an alley towards the apartment. As she was walking, a violent scene caught her attention. A guy was getting beat up by a group of other guys. Annie squinted to see that the victim looked really familiar. Instinctively, she stepped closer and was soon in for a huge shock when she realized it was Zelo.

 

Hey! Stop it!” She demanded as she ran closer to them. “Stop it right now or else I'm calling the cops!”

 

As soon as the thugs heard the word 'cops', they ran off. She would've ran after them but she knew it would've been dangerous knowing she'd be defenseless. She was more concerned about the younger guy as she leaned down to help him up. “Are you okay?” she asked finally.

 

Annie noona,” the young man bellowed clearly taken by surprise by her sudden appearance.

 

Yeah it's me, who else would it be?” she asked teasingly. When he didn't laugh at her little joke, she frowned. “Anyways, are you okay?” She gasped when she saw the cuts and bruises on his handsome face. “Oh no, you're hurt!”

 

I'm fine,” he said immediately rebuffing her attempts to examine him.

 

No, you're not,” Annie retorted back. “Where is your house? Should I walk you home?” He shook his head. “Then should I take you to see a doctor?”

 

No!” he exclaimed. “Please don't take me to see a doctor!”

 

She sighed and furrowed her eyebrows at him. “Then at least tell me where you live. I can walk you home.”

 

I don't have anywhere to go, noona,” he finally said which caught her off guard.

 

Wait, what?” she gaped. “Then where have you been staying this whole time? A kid your age shouldn't even be out this late. Junhong, what's going on? Is there something you're not telling me?” she demanded. He looked away from her. The way he looked so lost and vulnerable broke her heart. He was starting to remind her a bit of Daniel. “Come on,” she finally said.

 

He finally looked at her with wide eyes. “Huh?”

 

Let's get your injuries cleaned up,” she told him tugging at his long arms and picking up the bags from the convenience store off the ground. “My place is this way,” she pointed ahead.

 

Looking behind him, he stopped abruptly. “Noona, you forgot your other box of tampons back there,” he pointed out to inform her.

 

Annie soon found herself turning a deep shade of pink. “Hehe, right,” she said chuckling nervously. Good thing it was nighttime, otherwise the younger guy would be witnessing her humiliation at that moment.

 

Before she could run back to get it, Zelo was already quick on his feet to grab it in time so he could bring it back to her. She grew more embarrassed at the fact that he was actually examining the box. “Super absorbent?” he looked at her in confusion.

 

Alright, let's go back home, shall we?” Annie snatched the box before he could ask any further questions.


 

Here you go,” Annie said as she handed him a bag full of ice. Lucy was in the process of getting the first-aid kit from the bathroom. She snapped at Annie for taking so long but soon calmed down when she spotted Zelo close behind her best friend. She too was shocked upon seeing him all bruised and battered.

 

Thank you,” he said taking it from her.

 

I'll come back with a cup of water for you, okay?” she said returning to the kitchen.

 

As soon as she joined him the living room, Lucy returned just in time with the first aid kit. Panting, Lucy slumped beside Zelo. “Finally found this thing,” she exhaled. “Took me forever. Anyways, what happened to you?” She asked casually.

 

Lucy,” Annie said in a warning tone.

 

Oh,” her eyes widened at her sudden blunder. “I'm sorry. You don't have to tell me, Zelo. What I meant to ask was are you okay?”

 

I'm fine, noona,” he said as Annie tended to his wound. “Thanks for letting me stay the night—Ow!” He gasped when she applied ointment to the cut on his lip.

 

Sit still,” Annie demanded.

 

Sorry,” he replied sheepishly.

 

Why are you sorry? You're the one who's hurt not me,” she pointed out. Then, she was soon finished tending to him. “There you're all finished. Now are you hungry or anything? We should have some leftovers from the night before.”

 

No thank you,” he shook his head innocently.

 

You should at least eat something,” Lucy said getting up to go into the kitchen. “The leftovers will go bad if we don't eat them now, Zelo.”

 

I'll eat,” he agreed then turn to Annie. “If you guys are willing to eat with me.”

 

Annie nodded. “Okay, you sit tight while I go help Lucy out in the kitchen.” she said before retreating into the kitchen.


A/N: Hello again! Here's another update! :D Enjoy! ^^ I'll try to update again later tonight. I'm working on the next chapter.

P.S. Don't mind the minor grammar errors. I haven't really looked over it lol.