Zelo's Situation

The Undomestic Nanny

Chapter 19

So what happened?” Lucy asked once Zelo was out of earshot.

 

I was on the way home and saw some thugs beating him up,” Annie said glancing back at him. “And then when I tried to walk him home, he told me he didn't have anywhere to go which is why I need to talk to you.”

 

Oh no,” Lucy immediately shook her head. “Don't drag me into this, Annie. Are you crazy?!” she hissed.

 

I know, Luce, but it's only for one night,” Annie pleaded with her. “Come on, he's a kid with nowhere to go.”

 

Lucy sighed. “I don't know about this,” she said finally.

 

How about this? We'll hear him out,” Annie suggested.

 

How? He's barely said a word all night,” Lucy pointed out.

 

Well we have to make him feel comfortable,” Annie said hopefully. “Maybe he'll open up to us then.”

 

Why are you always the sympathetic one?” Lucy whined.

 

Annie smiled. “Hey, I'm not the only one with the big heart,” she pointed out looking at her best friend. “You can be sympathetic too.”

 

Yeah, but not as much as you,” Lucy huffed. “So are we ready to join him or what? Kid looks bored already.”

 

Yep,” Annie nodded then proceeded to make her way to the living room with her best friend following close behind.

 


So...” Annie finally broke the abrupt silence that soon followed once they dug into their late night dinner. “What happened back there in the alley?”

 

Zelo cleared his throat and finally turned to face the two older girls. “Just some guys trying to mug me. I tried to fight them off but there were too many of them. I don't know what would've happened if you didn't come in time.” he looked over at Annie, who in turn nodded in understanding. “So thanks noona.”

 

Anytime, buddy,” she said reassuringly. “Anytime.”

 

Now it was Lucy's turn to ask her question. “So, care to tell us what's going on about your living situation?”

 

He turned to her then looked away. “My living situation hasn't been so great,” he started to say. “I couldn't afford to live in my apartment so the landlord kicked me out. Not that it mattered but the living conditions were pretty horrible too.”

 

So where have you been staying this whole time?” Annie asked curiously.

 

I've been staying with Jongup, but he's running out of room for me too,” Zelo replied somberly. “It's hard finding a place in Seoul that's affordable for someone my age.”

 

Don't you have family you can stay with?” Lucy chimed in.

 

I have my mom but she's staying over at a friend's house. She asked me to stay behind to manage the household knowing I am still in school,” he continued. “We came to Seoul knowing I wanted to be a singer and she came along supporting me. I didn't know it'd be this much of a struggle. My dad and brother aren't here so I have to step in to be the man of the household. I feel like this is all my fault...”

 

Annie found herself looking at Lucy pleadingly. Of course, hearing about a young person's struggles brought back unwanted memories for Annie. She knew exactly what he was going through and it made her want to help him more. “Look Junhong,” she spoke up finally. She noticed she called Zelo by his real name when things turned serious. “Some things are unfortunate. I've been through it too. Whatever you do, do NOT blame yourself. It's not your fault. And please, don't ever consider putting your dreams aside. Keep going down that road. It'll pay off in the long run. Don't be like me. I'm still trying to go down that road.” She said thinking about her bleak future.

 

Really?” he looked back at her. “May I ask what happened?”

 

I was supposed to go to law school but had to put all of that aside because I couldn't afford it,” she answered finally.

 

Oh,” he looked down somberly. “I'm sorry to hear that.”

 

Don't worry about it,” she assured him. “It is what it is. I mean I don't plan on giving up on it. I'm just putting it aside for now.”

 

After hearing the minor exchange between her best friend and her employee, Lucy finally sighed. “Okay, here's what we're gonna do,” she announced. “You can stay for tonight, then we'll talk about this in the morning.”

 

OMG! Thank you!” Annie exclaimed excitedly pulling her friend in for a tight hug.

 

Gah! Don't choke me!” Lucy grunted in pain. “Yeah, yeah, whatever. I'm going to bed. Make yourself at home, Zelo.”

 

Thank you, noona!” he stood up to give her a hug lifting her off the ground in the process.

 

Ahhh! Put me down! Put me down!” Lucy demanded. Once Zelo did as he was told, Lucy glared at him. “Good Lord, why do you have to be so tall??”

 

Sorry,” he said scratching the back of his head smiling shyly.


 

The next morning, Annie made her way to the local bakery to pick up cheesecake. It was best to buy it in the morning so that it was still fresh, she thought. Daehyun is surely going to be one happy camper once he spots the box Annie will be carrying into his apartment. “Zelo, could you help me carry this?” she asked the younger guy.

 

Earlier that morning...

 

Okay we've clearly run out of options,” Lucy groaned in frustration. “If I had the extra space, I would let him stay but I clearly can't Annie and you know it too.”

 

We can't give up yet,” Annie pointed out. “There's got to be another option.”

 

It's okay ladies, I can leave after today,” Zelo spoke up. “Thank you for letting me stay the night--”

 

NO!” both girls exclaimed simultaneously startling the young man. “You sit still and shut up!” Lucy demanded then turned to Annie. “Okay keep thinking, woman.”

 

I am,” Annie said as she tried to weigh out the other possible options. Soon, her smile began to form as she finally turned to Lucy. “Guys, I think have the perfect idea!”

 

Daehyun was startled by the buzzer on his door. As he sat up in bed, he checked the time wondering who it could be. Even though he was usually a morning person, today was his first time actually sleeping in and he was enjoying it until this happened. Groaning in frustration, he finally sat up in bed and put on a t-shirt. Looking into the peephole, he noticed Annie's hopeful smile waiting for him. “This better be good,” he said once he opened the door.

 

Good morning to you too!” she greeted cheerfully.

 

He noticed a tall figure behind her peering at him innocently. “And I see you've brought company,” he noted giving Zelo a warm smile. “Hello, uh, Zelo right?”

 

Good morning,” he gave him a slight bow.

 

What are you guys doing here?” Daehyun grew curious.

 

Holding up the box, Annie grinned widely. “Surprise!” she exclaimed. “I brought your favorite!”

 

There was a gleam in Daehyun's eyes once he spotted what she brought him. “No way!” he exclaimed like a giddy school boy. “Thanks, Annie! You finally did something right for once.” Annie kicked him in the shin. “Ow! What the hell was that for?!”

 

Maybe you should learn to filter that mouth of yours,” she barked back.

 

Then stop taking things up the !” he retorted back.

 

Zelo cleared his throat. He leaned over to whisper in Annie's ear. “Um noona, aren't you supposed to be nice to him...?”

 

Her eyes widened and she soon faked a smile to her best friend. “Right! Hyunnie, about what just happened... I sincerely apologize. So I hope you forgive me.”

 

Daehyun eyed her suspiciously. “Alright, what's going on?” he demanded.

 

That's actually why I came to see you,” she said finally.


A/N: Here's another chapter! It's Zelo focused in a way lol. This came out a little more sloppier than I expected but I hope you enjoy it either way. Sorry for the lack of Yongguk or Himchan appearances. They'll show up eventually along with Jongup and Youngjae appearances >.<