The Night Off

The Undomestic Nanny

Chapter 37

On his usual Friday nights, Yongguk would often resort to either sticking around at the studio, go out with Himchan, or just stay home and do nothing. It was nothing too exciting but tonight was a little different in his case. Daehyun had invited him over for a little get-together and since Yongguk had nothing better to do, he decided to stop by just for the heck of it. He wondered what Daehyun had in store for tonight.

 

Parking across the street, he stepped out the car then looked in both directions before crossing. As he made his way to the entrance, a familiar figure was also making his way to the door. Once he was within close proximity, Yongguk called out to him, “Yah Himchan!”

 

Obliviously making his way towards the entrance to Daehyun's apartment, Himchan was also enjoying his day off. It felt nice for a change but he started to feel a little lonely about not encountering Annie for a change. She was like a breath of fresh air, he thought. But so it seems, Miranda has finally decided to give Annie a day off for a change which was a relief because he was worried about Miranda's cruel treatment toward the innocent girl.

 

As soon as he heard a deep-voiced figure calling out to him, he turned his head towards the source of the sound and relaxed upon seeing Yongguk running over to him. “Bang! What are you doing here?” he asked looking around the area.

 

Daehyun invited me,” Yongguk answered. “What are you doing out here?”

 

Same here, Dae invited me,” Himchan replied then grinned in amusement. “I wonder what he's got planned.”

 

There's only one way to find out,” Yongguk said leading the way with Himchan following close behind.

 

Making their way to the elevator, they waited for the doors to opened. To break the awkward silence, Himchan spoke up first. “So, how was your little date with Annie?”

 

The question caught Yongguk off guard as he turned to his best friend. “It wasn't a date,” he said, setting the record straight.

 

It sure didn't sound that way according to Daehyun and Youngjae,” said Himchan with a smirk.

 

The doors finally opened and they went inside. Himchan clicked the button leading to Daehyun's floor. “I just took her to grab a bite to eat, that's all,” said Yongguk once the doors were closed.

 

Did you have a nice time?” Himchan resumed with the questioning.

 

Come to think of it, yes I did actually have a nice time,” Yongguk answered thoughtfully, grinning to himself.

 

Were you planning on taking her out again?” Himchan asked worriedly. He caught Yongguk grinning to himself in time.

 

I'd like to,” he responded bemusedly. “But I have to wait until we're both not busy. I would have taken her out again tonight but then it turns out, she had other plans.”

 

I see,” Himchan finally said nodding slowly in understanding. “I'm glad you had a nice time.” He soon found himself becoming curious so he had to ask nevertheless. “Do you like her?”

 

What?” Yongguk asked, clearly caught off guard by the question.

 

Do you like her?” he asked candidly.

 

What kind of question is that?” he retorted back. He was starting to wonder why his best friend was behaving that way. It was not like him to become curious about the same girl.

 

Bang, I couldn't have asked a more legit question,” Himchan said with a hint of bitterness to his tone.

 

She's different,” Yongguk said. “And I think it might get there soon if I give it more time. Why are you suddenly asking this?” he asked taking note of his best friend's hostility.

 

Just asking,” Himchan shrugged, feigning indifference. “I may have seen it coming.”

 

Well, you don't sound too happy about it,” Yongguk noted aloud. Scoffing, he finally said, “If I didn't know any better, I'm guessing you like her too.”

 

Maybe I do,” his best friend said truthfully.

 

The answer itself was enough to deem Yongguk speechless. But before he could finally respond, the doors flew opened and Himchan was the first to exit. Watching his best friend walk ahead, he finally snapped out of his thoughts then made his way out the elevator to follow Himchan.


 

What movie are we watching?” Daehyun asked as everyone gathered around the living room. Daehyun and Youngjae sat on the sofa while Jongup and Zelo sat on the adjacent love seat. Annie and Lucy, however, took to settling on the floor leaning their backs against the couch.

 

Annie smirked. “It's a surprise,” she announced glancing at Lucy then grinning widely.

 

Oh gosh,” Daehyun groaned, shaking his head.

 

She shot him a look. “What?” she demanded.

 

I hate surprises,” he grumbled.

 

Well, learn to deal with it,” she barked back. “We've been at this for too long for you to whine about my taste in movies.”

 

Someone groaned in annoyance. “I think I already know what it is,” Youngjae finally chimed in, shaking his head at Daehyun.

 

No way!” Lucy exclaimed excitedly. “You actually found it?!”

 

Yes!” beamed Annie. “I was searching forever for it! The man in the video store said it was the last copy he had, so I got lucky.”

 

Hot men in uniform, count me in!” Lucy sighed dreamily. “Hurry up and turn it on so we can spazz together!”

 

Okay!” Annie exclaimed then ran over to the DVD player to insert the disk.

 

Oh God, Oh God, Oh God...” Daehyun muttered to himself running his hand down his face in annoyance.

 

What movie are we watching, noona?” Zelo asked curiously picking up the DVD case on the coffee table.

 

Only the greatest movie in the world,” Annie answered with a gleam in her round eyes. “But then, I'm just being biased. It's my favorite movie, of course.” she said matter-of-factly.

 

Jongup appeared from behind reading over Zelo's shoulder. “Pearl Harbor,” he read aloud. “What is it about?”

 

It's about the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor during World War II,” she answered. “It may sound boring and all since it's historical and all but it's not like that at all.”

 

Then what is it exactly?” Jongup asked.

 

Why don't we watch and find out?” she offered and the young man nodded innocently in return.

 

Jae,” Daehyun turned to face his best friend as the movie started up. “Just shoot me. Please, I beg of you. Just shoot me.”

 

Not until you shoot me first,” Youngjae retorted back.

 

Grumbling, he finally spoke up. “Out of all the movies, we could have watched, why that movie?” asked Daehyun.

 

Because you picked the last movie,” Annie returned with her own snide remark. “The last time I checked, you told me I can pick something. And this is what I want to watch. And I think Lucy agrees with me along with Zelo and Jongup so you've been outnumbered, my friend.” She said giving Daehyun a smug grin.

 

Before an all-out argument could ensue, Youngjae placed a hand on Daehyun's shoulder. “Just let it go, Dae. Remember who's stopping by tonight,” he reminded him with his own mischievous grin.

 

Relaxing, Daehyun's frown soon formed into a sly grin as he nodded slowly. “Right,” he said. “Thanks for reminding me, Jae.”

 

This is going to be way more entertaining than the movie itself,” Youngjae snickered.

 

What are you two yammering about?” Annie called out, slightly startling them. “You should pipe down so I can watch my movie in peace!”

 

Daehyun's jaw hardened. “How long?” he asked Youngjae through gritted teeth.

 

Any minute now,” Youngjae responded contritely.

 

As Josh Hartnett and Ben Affleck soon appeared on screen, Lucy and Annie took to becoming entranced oblivious to the muffled groans in the living room. “You see him, boys?” asked Annie pointing to Josh Hartnett as she turned to Jongup and Zelo. “That's my future husband.”

 

In your dreams,” Daehyun muttered.

 

No he's mine!” Lucy whined.

 

He was mine first!” Annie argued back. “You called dibs on Ben Affleck first so you're sticking to him. Josh was and will always be mine.” She then turned to Jongup and Zelo then back to the screen. “Isn't he dreamy?” She sighed dreamily when he appeared on screen once again.

 

Uh...” Jongup and Zelo gaped in response, unsure of how to respond to the older girl's question as she beamed focusing on the TV screen. They had to admit, it was pretty amusing. It was unhealthy, but amusing nevertheless.

 

Did you know this is Yongguk hyung's favorite movie?” Youngjae asked matter-of-factly.

 

Annie perked up upon hearing Yongguk's name. “Okay? And this pertains to me because...?” she asked, slightly annoyed that Youngjae is disrupting her time with Josh Hartnett.

 

Youngjae shrugged. “Just thought I'd throw that out there,” he said. “Hyung loves war movies. I think he likes the same ones you like such as this one, I think he liked Saving Private Ryan. Not sure if he saw Black Hawk Down yet. Maybe you should ask him.”

 

What's the point? It's not like I'll see him anytime soon,” she replied.

 

You don't know that,” Youngjae mused softly giving Daehyun a knowing smirk. Annie disregarded the tone of his voice, then returned to watching the movie with everyone else.

 

The sound of the buzzer at Daehyun's door startled everyone else. Annie turned to look at him. “Did you order more take-out?” she asked irritably.

 

Daehyun smirked. “Maybe I did,” he said. “Why don't you go answer it?”

 

Why?” she asked suspiciously.

 

It's on you,” Daehyun said.

 

Why me?”

 

Because you got to pick the movie,” he retorted back.

 

That's not fair!” she whined.

 

Daehyun shrugged. “Well I'd hate to break it to you, sister... But life's unfair,” he said with feigned sympathy. In turn, Annie grabbed a pillow from the floor and hurled it at him.

 

Fine, next time you pick the movie AND you pay for take-out,” she said finally standing up and grabbing her wallet from her bag.

 

Fine by me,” Daehyun smiled triumphantly.

 

Watch me order the whole freakin' menu,” she muttered as she made her way to the door. “Pause the movie!” she called out looking over her shoulder before turning back around.

 

When she finally made it to the door, she did not think twice about checking the peephole before opening it. “Hi, I'm sorry for the wait. I--” Looking up, she froze upon coming face to face with two very good-looking best friends staring back at her. “You two... What are you guys doing here?”

 

Daehyun invited us,” said Yongguk after he cleared his throat.

 

As if on cue, Daehyun called out from the living room. “Hey Annie! What's taking so long?”

 

Yeah, we're waiting to watch the movie!” Youngjae exclaimed soon after.

 

Oh and I lied about earlier! I didn't order anymore take-out!” Daehyun blurted out. “I just wanted to see your reaction when you find out who it really was!” he burst into laughter. Youngjae's laughter could also be heard echoing throughout the living room. Annie's expression hardened. Himchan and Yongguk saw the color form on her cheeks in the process.

 

Looking down at the floor sheepishly, Annie made room for the two best friends to enter. “Come on in,” she said chuckling nervously.

 

Yongguk entered the living room with Himchan following close behind. “Oh hey guys! I'm glad you could make it!” Daehyun exclaimed excitedly. “Make yourselves at home.”

 

Annie soon entered the living room in a slump still looking down at the floor clenching her fists tightly. “What's the matter, Annie?” Youngjae asked in a mocking tone. “Taken by surprise?” He snickered.

 

She looked up at her two best friends with a dark expression. Their grins on their faces soon faded. Gulping, they immediately cowered behind Zelo and Jongup, who were obliviously confused as to what was going on as Lucy sat and watched the scene beginning to unfold while munching on popcorn.

 

Save me,” Daehyun whispered pleadingly into Zelo's ears.

 

Why?” Zelo whispered back.

 

Because I'm about to be murdered tonight,” Daehyun answered clutching Zelo's t-shirt in fear in the hopes of using the younger guy as a protective shield.

 

If looks could kill, Daehyun and Youngjae would be dead by now. “Prepare to dig your own graves,” Annie said through gritted teeth.


A/N: Hello again! Here's another update! I'm sorry if this seems boring to you lol. Don't mind the minor errors! I hope you enjoy it! Yeah, I just had to make the war movie references in this part because like Bang, I love war movies too! My three favorites were Pearl Harbor, Black Hawk Down, and Saving Private Ryan. I like the first two because my future husband Josh Hartnett is in both films lol. Yes, you all should know by now that I have a huge crush on him. Josh Hartnett is my future husband! Haha in my dreams... Sighs :/ He's off the market! Lucky girl! Hmph! >.<

P.S. Welcome new subbies! I hope we can be great friends! XD One other thing... I kind of have a new story idea in mind and it stars Youngjae. I might start writing it after I finish this one... XD