That Night

The Undomestic Nanny

Chapter 7

Annie entered the Temple Cafe in a slump ignoring the stares of her best friends that night. Good thing there were no other customers around because it would have been embarrassing for them to see her looking like a hot mess. In other words, her hair was all over the place, she had a giant coffee stain on her good blouse, and to add icing to the cake, her shoe broke on the way to the cafe so she resorted to walking here barefoot.

 

Settling beside Daehyun, she looked to Lucy, Jongup, and Zelo. “I need some water,” she said hoarsely.

 

Immediately, Zelo grabbed a clean glass and filled it with ice and water before bringing it to her. Coincidentally, she looked over at Jongup. “Could you give me a menu? I'm starving,” she said.

 

So you mean to tell me you haven't eaten yet?” Lucy asked incredulously crossing her arms. “I would assume they would feed you something. I mean you're working for a rich family for Christ's sake!”

 

I did eat, like a few hours ago,” Annie remarked looking back at the menu. “I had a salad whereas the kid just ate some foreign dish I couldn't even pronounce.” Looking back at Jongup she handed him the menu. “I'll just have a chicken sandwich.” He nodded then walked off.

 

Shortly, Jongup brought her the sandwich and Annie immediately started to scarf it down. It was clear to her friends that she was famished that night. As she was eating, she felt everyone's eyes on her and finally looked up. “What?”

 

Youngjae cleared his throat. “So are you gonna tell us how your first day went?” he finally asked.

 

As if on cue, Jongup and Zelo gathered beside Lucy as they waited for Annie to give a recap on her first day on the job. She had to admit they looked like a bunch of excited little kids when the preschool teacher announces story time, she thought shaking her head. “I never knew you guys were so interested in my day,” she sarcastically remarked.

 

It's probably a lot better than our day,” Daehyun retorted back.

 

She sighed pushing her plate away. “Let's see,” she thought for a moment. “Daniel, that's his name, is very interesting... He is very sweet at first but then I never knew he'd become the spawn of Satan when his mother's gone. I mean, as soon as she's gone he throws a huge temper tantrum and we're the only ones in the apartment. I'm surprised no one could hear us but then of course, it's a posh place so the walls are sound proof. Miranda warns me of the hot zones, as I liked to call it, and the kids runs all over the place and I have to chase after him in the hopes of him not breaking anything. Then comes dinner time and as I'm stuck with just a side salad, this kid is eating lobster tail and some I can't even pronounce. Then comes bath time which is hectic because this kid is running around the place buck-. Not to mention, he has to bathe in soap imported from France for crying out loud! Heck, I'm even envious of the kid. I don't think he's aware of how great he has it...” she panted after her little spiel.

 

The room grew silent. After the hectic day their friend had, what could they say? They were speechless. “Does that explain your messy hair and giant stain on your top?” Lucy finally asked breaking the silence.

 

Annie glanced down at the stain on her blouse. “Oh this?” she pointed to it. “This was from this morning. I went to grab breakfast and bumped into some guy. To make up for it, he ended up giving me a ride to the Shins.”

 

Since when do you ride in cars with strangers?” Youngjae asked raising an eyebrow.

 

He insisted,” Annie said turning to him. “And I didn't want to be late so I figured it would be convenient, you know... Besides it's not like I'll ever see him again.”

 

So was he cute?” Lucy asked with interest.

 

Here we go again,” Daehyun muttered which prompted Jongup and Zelo to snicker.

 

Actually, now that you mention it, yes,” Annie nodded as she thought about Himchan. “He is pretty cute. He had very nice eyes.” She sighed dreamily. “Oh well, it's not like I'll ever see him again,” she said indifferently.

 

You don't know that,” Youngjae chimed in.

 

That's what they all say,” Annie shrugged at the thought then turned to Lucy. “Do you happen to have an extra pair of shoes for me? I was actually planning on changing into a new set of clothes since I'm here.”

 

Yeah, I have an extra pair of sandals from the backroom, I'll bring them out to you,” she said then made her way into the backroom.” In turn, Jongup and Zelo came forward to clear her dishes.

 

Thanks guys,” she smiled as she took out her wallet.

 

It's okay, Annie noona,” Jongup said returning the smile. “Lucy noona told us to tell you it was on the house.”

 

What?” her eyes widened.

 

She wanted us to tell you that it was her way of congratulating you for surviving your first day at your new job,” Zelo added.

 

She doesn't have to,” Annie said taking out a few bills then holding it out to them.

 

It's okay, noona,” Zelo insisted but he couldn't fight with Annie's determination and decided to give in.

 

Split the tip with Jongup,” she told him. Both boys left her alone with Daehyun and Youngjae as they continued to clean up.

 

So...” Daehyun finally said breaking the silence. “Does that mean you're quitting the nanny job?”

 

Annie glared at him. “Of course not!” she exclaimed. “Which reminds me, I plan on turning in my two weeks tomorrow morning. The new job is pretty demanding with my availability so I've decided to give up one job in the hopes of working another. It pays a lot better than here.” she looked around the cafe.

 

Are you sure about this?” Youngjae asked crossing his arms.

 

Turning to him, she sighed. “Yes, I'm sure. I've never been so sure before,” she answered with sheer determination. “Every job has it's ups and downs and this job requires a lot of sacrifices. I mean even though Daniel is a little monster, deep down I know he's a good kid. And since I'm getting paid more, I can finally go back to school and hopefully get my own place. I can't stay at Lucy's forever, you know.”

 

Well if you're sure then none of us can stop you,” Daehyun added.

 

I'm glad you guys understand,” she smiled.


 

Yongguk found himself yawning at the table loud enough for the other three people to hear him. In turn, his date scooted closer to him. “Getting tired?” she gave him a seductive smile.

 

Mm-hmm,” he nodded nonchalantly.

 

Maybe I can help you out,” she said smirking.

 

He froze then looked down at her. The plunging mini dress she was wearing would have made any guy give in but he clearly was in no mood for anything tonight. The only reason he was on this dreaded date was because of Himchan's urging. If he had his way, he would have stayed home for the night but at the same time, he couldn't remember the last time he went out on a date. When he couldn't find the right words to refuse her, her friend (Himchan's date) suddenly stood up and asked her to her to the ladies' room in turn leaving Yongguk and Himchan alone.

 

Bang, what's wrong? Are you okay?” Himchan finally asked breaking the long silence. “I know you're bored, just endure it for tonight.”

 

Bored?” He scoffed. “What makes you think I'm bored, Himchan?”

 

Let's see, the whole time your mind was elsewhere. You weren't even trying to pretend you were interested in her,” he pointed out. “And that yawn? Yeah, that was kind of rude, don't you think?”

 

Oh really? I didn't notice,” Yongguk replied nonchalantly.

 

Seriously, Yongguk,” Himchan leaned forward. “What's on your mind?”

 

It's more like who's on my mind,” he finally said.

 

It's that girl with the journal, isn't it?” Himchan raised an eyebrow curiously.

 

Yongguk sighed. “I don't know why but she's been on my mind a lot lately.”

 

Look, you'll meet her again when the time is right as cheesy as it sounds but right now, I need you to just forget about her for one night and enjoy yourself just this once,” Himchan advised him. “It's not often you get opportunities like these.” He smirked.

 

He was right, Yongguk thought then as soon as the girls returned from their absence, he faked a smile.

 

Did you miss us while we were gone?” the girl asked.

 

Of course we did,” he lied.

 

Himchan's phone chimed which garnered everyone's attention. “It's just a text message,” he announced as he took it out to check it. The smile on his face was immediately wiped off after he read it. Standing up, he took out his wallet and left a giant tip on the table. “Something came up and I have to go. Sorry ladies.” Before they could reply, he was already gone.

 

Something didn't feel right and Yongguk caught onto it as soon as he left, he took this as his cue to leave. “Sorry ladies, I had a nice time but I should really get going too,” he finally said then followed Himchan out.


A/N: I wonder what happened?! O.o We'll find out lol. Enjoy!