The Next Day

The Undomestic Nanny

Chapter 12

Nanny...” a voice echoed in the distance. “Nanny...”

 

Annie stirred and groaned as she was sound asleep hoping the voice calling out to her was just a dream. After a hand lightly shook her awake, she opened her eyes slowly. Everything seemed to be hazy as she came across a well-dressed beautiful woman. “Nanny...” the beautiful woman said.

 

Immediately, Annie sat up straight and looked up to find Miranda sternly crossing her arms. “What do you think you're doing?” she tilted her head.

 

Sorry Miranda,” Annie frowned looking down at her feet. “I must have fallen asleep before you got here.”

 

Oh no, you're fine. There's no need for an apology. We're all tired. The committee needed me to stay longer that's why I got home a little late,” Miranda said looking around the penthouse. “I see Danny's off to bed.”

 

Yes,” she nodded. “I tucked him in not too long ago.”

 

I hope he didn't cause a lot of trouble,” Miranda mused sympathetically.

 

Annie froze. “Of course not!” she lied chuckling nervously. “He's a little angel! Watching him is a piece of cake!”

 

Okay,” Miranda gave her a faint smile. “I think your work here is done for the night. I'll see you in the morning. Let me call you a cab.” She took out her phone to dial a number.

 

Okay,” Annie stood up to gather her things. “Good night, Miranda.” She said then proceeded to exit the penthouse.

 

Even though Miranda intimidated her, Annie was actually touched that she was nice enough to call her a cab even though she could have taken the subway. Not that she was complaining. But still, she was grateful.

 

Thinking about Miranda as she hopped into the backseat of the cab, a part of Annie grew curious about her employer. She was in a high profile marriage with one of the country's wealthiest men and she wondered why he seemed visibly absent. She took note of this ever since she started working for her but decided not to pry into something that wasn't any of her business. It was her job to watch over their son, not their marriage.


 

The next morning, Annie arrived at the penthouse early in the hopes of taking Daniel to school. She helped him get dressed from after his morning bath, then they proceeded to eat breakfast at the table. While he ate his gourmet pancakes with fresh fruit and freshly squeezed orange juice, Annie settled for a whole-grained bagel and a cup of coffee.

 

As soon as she was finished, she was given a list by the maids on what to pack for Daniel's lunch. They sure are particular on what this kid can and cannot eat, she thought rolling her eyes. When I was his age, I was never pampered this much! Heck, I was fine with just a PB&J but nope, not these people.

 

Nanny?” a voice came through the kitchen thus slightly startling the young woman. It was Miranda.

 

Dutifully, Annie turned to face her. “Yes?”

 

Great! You're still here!” she beamed. “Listen, while Danny is in class there's a list of things I need you to do. I'd have my secretary handle it but since he's caught up with my office work, I figured you can help me too. I need you to pick up my dry cleaning. Here's the ticket,” she presented Annie with her dry cleaning ticket. “I also need you to pick up my order from the jeweler's along with an important document from Mr. Shin's office. I might need you to head to my stylists' to pick up my wardrobe for the next event. As a matter of fact, I need you to go there after the jewelers' since it's in the same building. Then when you pick up Danny from school, I need you to make sure he's home in time for piano practice.”

 

Piano?” Annie repeated in confusion. She didn't remember seeing a piano at all her first day.

 

Oh I must have forgotten,” Miranda chuckled. “Anyways, there is a grand piano located in another room down that hall.” she pointed to a secluded room. The door was shut but Annie noted that it was located in the forbidden hot zones. “I know I told you, Danny isn't allowed to go near that area but I usually make an exception when it comes to piano practice. Also, I just hired a new piano teacher for him. You should meet him by then. Now I won't be home all day, do you have any questions?” she finally asked shifting her attention over to the young woman.

 

Uh no, I don't actually,” Annie said shaking her head quickly.

 

Perfect!” the older woman breathed a sigh of relief grabbing her Fendi bag off the kitchen counter. “Okay, I'll be off now. I expect everything to be done by today. If so, then this will make my life ten times easier.”

 

As if it already wasn't easy, she wanted to say but decided against it. “I'll do my best, Miranda.”

 

One other thing, Nanny,” she turned around one last time. “Don't disappoint me.”

 

Annie gulped and nodded. “You won't be disappointed,” she said assuringly.

 

Good,” Miranda smirked then proceeded to give Daniel a kiss before exiting the apartment.

 

She was sure she got the tasks at hand. At least, she would keep busy the whole day. Maybe this will be the breather she needed without Daniel for a couple of hours.

 

Alright, sport, are you almost ready?” she asked Daniel, who nodded in response.

 

Helping him with his backpack, they both made their way into the car before the driver dropped him off to school.

 

Taking a deep breath, she watched as Daniel entered his classroom along with his classmates. She found herself smiling at how adorable they looked in their school uniforms. But then that smile soon turned into a frown as she realized it was going to be oddly quiet without him for a few hours. He was already starting to grow on her. And besides, how bad could it be?

 


Now I can cross dry cleaning and the jeweler's off my list,” Annie said to herself as she slumped into the backseat of the car. The driver then drove back to the apartment. She had to drop off the dry cleaning and Miranda's expensive necklace along with the outfit she ordered with the stylist back home. She planned on dropping everything off before heading over to Mr. Shin's office to pick up some important document. It must be important since Miranda sure enjoyed blowing up Annie's phone every now and then. It was starting to get annoying. She couldn't exactly remember but according to Miranda, it was very crucial she went to pick it up. Why couldn't she do it herself? Annie thought. I'm a nanny not some PA. @_@

 

Just then, her phone went off. Groaning in annoyance, she thought it was Miranda but was caught a bit off guard when she saw Youngjae's name pop up on the caller ID. “H-hello?” she answered.

 

Annie?” his voice rang out from the other line.

 

Oh hey, Jae! What's up?” she greeted him cheerily.

 

I actually just wanted to call to check up on you,” he said stifling his laughter. “Dae's pretty -hurt about the way you blew him off last night.”

 

Am not!” she heard another voice in the background. Rolling her eyes, she knew it was Daehyun.

 

It sure looked that way, dude,” Lucy's voice echoed out. She was evidently laughing. Lucy and Annie enjoyed picking on Daehyun when he least expected it.

 

You should be laughing at Annie! She was getting trolled by a four year old for Pete's sake!” Daehyun continued whining.

 

Yeah but we're too busy laughing at you whining right now to even notice,” Lucy said snickering.

 

Anywho... That's why I called to check up on you,” Youngjae shifted his attention back to Annie. “To see how you were doing.”

 

Aw, I'm so touched,” Annie smiled. “I'm fine now. I had a little help in getting Danny to listen to me but all is well. Thanks for checking up on me.”

 

Youngjae chuckled. “Anytime, Annie. Listen, I'm gonna have to let you go before Dae and Luce murder each other,” he said.

 

Annie found herself chuckling too. “Okay, I'll talk to you later,” she said. “Bye Jae!” Then, she hung up in time for the driver to park by the entrance of the building. Glancing back at the multiple items in the car, she sighed. I can make it in one trip, she thought picking up the dry cleaning along with the multiple shopping bags. She just had to figure out a way to open the door without dropping anything.

 

Slowly, she made her way to the building watching her steps as she walked in the hopes of not tripping along the way. Noticing a male figure walking ahead of her obliviously, she called out to him as he opened the door. “Excuse me! Could you keep the door open for me?”

 

He looked over his shoulder and saw that she was struggling. Like a true gentleman, Yongguk walked over to help her. “Here, let me help you with that.”

 

It's fine I got it, thanks though,” she finally said looking up at him. Her eyes widened. She soon found herself blushing slightly.

 

Yongguk, too, was also taken aback. “Miranda's got you watching her kid and now you're picking up her dry cleaning?” he remarked. “She should seriously be paying you extra.” He said grabbing a few of the bags from Annie.

 

It's really nothing,” she replied sheepishly allowing him to help her. She was too focused on him to even notice he was actually helping her.

 

He scoffed. “Oh sure it's not,” he said, his tone full of concern. “I can already see how this is affecting your well-being, Annie. You're panting and look like you're about to pass out right now.”

 

Together, they made their way to the elevator. “I'm fine,” she assured him. “It's a new job and I still have a lot of adjusting to do. It'll take a while but I'll get there.”

 

At least let me help you,” he offered. “I don't have a lot to do today. I'm sure she has a bunch of stuff lined up for you. Am I correct?”

 

Annie looked away sheepishly. “Maybe... but it's nothing I can't handle,” she said trying to sound convincing.

 

I'm not taking 'no' for an answer,” he grew persistent. “I'll even pick up Danny from school. Give the driver a day off. I don't think Miranda will notice.”

 

Look, Yongguk, it's sweet of you but I'm not sure it's a good idea,” she hesitated.

 

Annie,” he looked at her. “Come on.”

 

Sighing, she finally caved. “Alright, if you insist,” she said as the elevator door opened for them to step into the hallway. When she wasn't looking, Yongguk grinned to himself knowing they'd spend the day together.


A/N: Hello again! This was kind of like a filler chapter. Sorry for disappointing you guys! However, I have some crazy shenanigans lined up in the future chapters. And there will be a bit of Annie and Yongguk moments. Danny is absent in this one along with the other BAP guys but they made an appearance anyways! XD Enjoy! ^^

P.S. Don't mind the minor grammar errors. >_< I'll fix them later.