Oppas?

My Famous Oppas and Their Rivals

 

The principal quickly rushed you to the hospital. Your heart was beating fast, your palms were sweating, you were shaking. 

'What do I do?' you asked yourself. 'What if omma isn't okay once I get there? I'll be all alone...' 

You shook the thought out of your head. You can't picture life without your mom. She's all you had next to your best friend Yoonhee. 

The principal and you arrived at the hospital. You quickly made your way to your mom's room. You rushed over and tried to open the door, but it was locked. You banged on the door hoping someone will open it. Your principal pulled you back, asking you to calm down.

Finally the door opened, and the doctor came out with a few nurses. His eyes landed on you and your principal. "Are you the daughter?"

"Yes I am. How's omma? Is she okay? Can she come home today? May I see her?" You said quickly.

The doctor let out a sigh and asked the nurses to get you some water. "Well, I'm afraid her condition is...unstable at the moment. We connected a breathing mask on her to help her survive. But..." His voice trailed off as he looked at you with sorryful eyes. "I think you should prepare for the best little one." He gave you a weak smile, and pulled your principal off to the side. While they were talking, you stood there speechless. 

'What? Omma can't leave me! She can't! I'll have nobody! Why does this happen to me? Why do I always lose the people I love? Why?'Tears began to fall down your cheeks. You softly whimpered feeling a pain in your heart. "Why? Why me? What have I done wrong!" You said loudly. You didn't care who was staring at you, you just wanted your mom to come home so that you could live your life normally again. You kept crying, "It's bad enough that appa left me, but now omma has to leave to?" 

Your voice echoed through the halls of the hospital. The doctor came back with some water in his hand. He put a hand on your back, slowly rubbing it to comfort you. "There there, it's okay. There's still a chance. Don't lose hope." You took the glass of water and slowly drank it. 

 

It's 6:54. You've been at the hospital the whole day, waiting for your mom to wake up. You fell asleep for a few hours outside of your mom's room. The chair made your neck sore, but it didn't matter. You just wanted to see your  mom. The principal had returned to the school, and asked the doctor and the nurses to watch after you. 

Soon you heard footsteps. You rubbed your eyes to clear your vision. You opened your eyes wide enough to see that the doctor and many nurses were running inside of your mom's room. You suddenly jolted up trying to see what they were doing. Your mom was then suddenly rushed to the emergency room.

You tried to run towards your mom, but the nurses pulled you back saying for you to let them do their job. 

You watched them take your mom into the ER. You weren't allowed to go inside, but you already knew what was happening.

'I think you should prepare for the best little one.'

The doctor's words repeated themselves in your mind. You began to cry again. You dropped to your knees and buried your face in your hands. The nurse rubbed your back, just like how the doctor did. She hugged you and said calmly, "It's okay. It's okay. Everything will be alright."
'How would everything be alright? My mom is about to die!'

After a few minutes, the doctor came out. He gave you a weak smile and kneeled down next to you and the nurse. He your hair and said, "I'm sorry, but your omma is gone...." His voice weakend when he said gone. You continued to cry. Only now, you were louder. What were you going to do now? Your omma just left you. You had nothing. 

Soon you heard a familiar voice coming down the hallways. 

"MINHEE! MINHEE! MINHEE-AH WHERE ARE YOU?"

It was Yoonhee. She was your best friend since you were little. You both moved to a new high school together on the same year, only Yoonhee started at the beginning of the year. You had only moved there today.

Yoonhee hugged you and rubbed your shoulders. "Shh... It's okay.... I'm here... And you know how much I hate to see you cry..." That made you smile a little bit. She always knew how to cheer you up.

"Wh-Where's your mom?" You said stuttering from the tears.

"She just dropped me off here, she said that she's sorry. She has to work in a couple of hours, so I can only be here for a few minutes." She sounded upset about that. "But I'll come over tommorrow! Promise!" She gave a reassuring smile. 

The only problem is, how can you go home? No one could take care of you. 

"If I am home..." You replied angrily. Yoonhee then understood your situation, and pulled you into another hug. Then you felt her phone vibrate. "Pick it up pabo." 

Yoonhee smiled at your remark to her. She answered it, and then after a few words she hung up. "I'm so sorry Minhee, I have to go. Keep your phone on, arasso? I'll text you when I get home." You gave her a small smile, and sent her away.

Then, you saw a nurse walking towards you with a pink blanket in one arm and your back pack in another. 

"Yong Minhee?" She asked smiling.

"Yes, that's me. Is that mine unnie?" You had calmed down from crying now.

"Neh." She handed you the blanket and bag, then looked at you with wide eyes. "Wow, she's so cute!" She said to herself.

'Me? Cute? HA!' No one has ever called you cute before. They only saw you as Yong MInhee; the nerd.

"Unnie?" She woke up from her daze and nodded. "Where did you get this blanket?"

You held up the blanket to get a better look at it. It was a soft-pink Hello Kitty blanket. The nurse suddenly gave you a wide smile. 

"You're oppas and their manager are here to pick you up. They brought the blanket along with them. Since it's cold outside, I guess they wanted their baby sister to stay warm." She looked up at the light, beggining to day dream again. Then she looked at you. "You're very lucky to have such nice oppas!"

You stared at her in confusion. "Oppas?" Your voice was high. "I don't have any oppas... It was only me and my mom at home. I think their lost..." You looked at the nurse with the same confused expression. She looked at you with a surprised expression on her flawless face.

"Why don't we meet them in the lobby then?" She held out her hand. You took her hand and she led you down the halls of the hospital.

'Oppas? Since when did I have oppas?