Jiyong's Birthday Party (Part 1)

Tonight


After Youngbae's dance practice, the dancers and Jaewook huddled and talked about Jiyong's party.

"Don't forget tomorrow." Jaewook said to them. "The main party will start around dinner time. But you can come early to hang out and use the swimming pool."

"Sajangnim said that there are two vans available for us to use. We can all meet here after lunch then go to the resort together.  For those of you, who won't be able to make it in the afternoon, contact Kush or Teddy. Teddy will be here with 2NE1 tomorrow. Any questions?"

Youngbae was zipping his bag near the bench when he heard someone groaning.

He turned to look and saw the Kwon twins discussing at the corner.

"Fine, but that won't take you the whole day." Youngdon said to his twin.

"I don't know. Maybe." Youngdeuk replied. "Just give it up. I already told Jihye-oma that I won't go."

"Is it because-"

"Shut up." He sternly said.

"Is it because you think she's not going?" Youngdon ignored his warning.

His twin glared at him and walked away.

"Deuk-ah." He tailed his brother as he went to the bench to get his gym bag.

"Hyung, we'll go ahead." Youngdeuk bowed to Youngbae who was fixing his things.

Youngdon bowed as well and followed his brother towards the door.


At the dorm....

Daesung just stepped out of his room when Youngbae arrived.

"Oh hyung, you're here."

"Ne, why are you still awake?"

"I couldn't sleep so I'll get me a glass of milk. Do you want one too?"

"No thanks, I'll just wash up and sleep. I'm already tried."

"Arasseo, sleep well and see you tomorrow."


After taking a bath, Youngbae went to his bed and checked his cellphone.

'Youngbae-ah, are you feeling well? You look kinda gloomy earlier.' - From Dara Nuna

He stared at his cellphone for awhile then he puts it back on his bedside table.

Lying on his bed, he couldn't get himself to sleep.
Visions of Dara and Youngdeuk talking comfortably kept appearing in his mind.
It bothered him a lot.

Youngbae and Jiyong know about Dara's admirers in the entertainment circle.
Those issues never really bothered them because none of her admirers ever went the extra mile in getting close to her.

But the situation right now is different since Dara's new admirer is within their company.
Youngdeuk, the new addition to Hi-Tech and YG Family.

 

++++++++++

The next day...


"I'm really sorry about this. Sajangnim didn't like what we recorded yesterday, so we have to do it all over again."

The girls groaned.

"What about the other song we haven't recorded yet?" Minji asked worriedly. "Are we also going to finish that today?"

Teddy shook his head. "Nope. Don't worry."

He went to sit on his chair and started typing on his computer. "We'll do one song for today."

Chaerin breathe a sign of relief.

Dara slumped back against the couch and sighed. "Seems like we don't have a choice."

Bom stood up from the couch while fixing her ponytail.

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's start." She said. "We still have a party to catch."

++++++++++


"Holy sh*t!" Seunghyun's eyes widened as he and Daesung entered the resort.

"This place is superb!" Daesung gaped after seeing the large luxury pool and the beautiful landscape surrounding it.

"Yo boys!"

The two turned to look and saw Jaewook heading towards them with a huge smile on his face. "So what do you think?"

"I never knew such place existed here in Seoul?" Seunghyun said in awe.

Jaewook chuckled.

Daesung noticed that some YG Family members had already arrived.
Some are in the pool having fun while some are sitting at a table near the pool playing cards or just simply chatting.

"Is our birthday boy here?" He asked, looking around for their friend.

"He is now." Jaewook suddenly nods his head to the entrance.

They saw Jiyong and Youngbae waving while walking towards them.

"Hyung!" Daesung gave the birthday celebrant a big hug. "Saengil chukha haeyo, uri Kwon leadah."

Smiling, the leader patted his back. "Gomawo, Daesung-ah"

Seunghyun and Jaewook greeted him as well.

"Did you two come here together?" Seunghyun asked.

"Aniyo. We just saw each other at the parking lot." Youngbae replied while checking out the place.

"Whoa Jae hyung, this place rocks." He gave a thumb up sign.

"But of course," Jaewook proudly replied. "Uri Big Bang leader deserves the best."

Jiyong sincerely smiled while adjusting his sunglasses. "Thanks hyung. You and the others did a great job preparing for this. I really appreciate it."

"It was nothing." He replied, putting his arm around his shoulders.

He lead him towards his guests while the other Big Bang members followed.


The YG staff and dancers took turns in greeting Jiyong.
He smiled and mingled with them.
Minutes later, he excused himself and headed to the bar station near the poolside.
He sat alone at an empty table and fiddled with his cellphone.

"Why do I get this feeling that he's not completely in a hype mood." Daesung blurted while he and the other members watched Jiyong from a distance.

Seunghyun rested an arm on his shoulder. "I thought I was the only one who noticed."

From their friend's action, they could tell that he was not in his usual party mode.

Youngbae studied his best friend.

"He'll come around." He said to the two.

"And besides, it's still early. We all know that he's a night person." He added.

Daesung nods his head in agreement.

"Is Dara nuna coming?" Seunghyun suddenly turned his head to ask.

"I-I don't know."

++++++++++

Dara grabbed her tray and stood up.
Chaerin and Minji followed.

She went to sit at another table and there she continued eating.

The maknae sat beside her. "Unnie, please-"

"Maknae-ah, for the last time- I'M NOT GOING." She annoyingly said.

Chaerin sighed. "But unnie-"

"Girls, I'm really getting tired of changing tables." She said in a low tone. "So if you don't mind, please, let me eat my ramyun in peace."

Frowning, Chaerin signaled the maknae to get up and leave.


Seeing the two approaching, Bom snickered while eating her corn.

"I can't believe you're just eating here and laughing at us." Chaerin said as she sat beside her.

Minji sat across Bom.

She puts her elbow on the table and rested her chin in her hand. "What are we going to do now?"

"Hey girls," Teddy suddenly appeared.

He placed his tray on their table and sat on the empty space beside Bom.

"Where's Da-" He looked ahead and saw one 2NE1 member eating alone at the other table.

"Uhm.. Why is she sitting there?" He asked without removing his gaze at Dara. "Did you girls-"

"Aniyo, oppa. You know we don't fight." Chaerin cuts him. "She just wants to eat alone."

"Wae?"

"Oppa," Minji reached for his arm and shook it. "Help us convince unnie to go with us at Jiyong oppa's party."

Teddy looked back to where Dara was sitting. "So she's not going, eh?"

Minji frowned and nodded her head.

"Just give her time." Bom suddenly said while munching.

All eyes went to her.

"Time?" Chaerin said raising an eyebrow. "Time for what?"

"Unnie, we're almost done recording. It's waaaaay past lunchtime." Minji reminded her. "She's still saying she doesn't want to go. We're running out of time here."

Bom wiped her lips with a paper napkin as she glance at Dara's direction.

Seeing her best friend eating ramyun while staring at her cellphone that is sitting on the table, made her lips curve in a smile.
She motioned the others to come closer.
The three exchanged glances as they leaned their bodies towards her.

"She told me earlier that Jiyong already texted her last night." She said in a soft voice.

"So is she going or what?" Teddy asked curiously.

Bom shrugged her shoulders making the others groan.

"I'm sure she's still deciding whether to go or not." She said with a knowing smile.

"What if she decides not to?" Chaerin asked.

"Then it's Plan B for us." Bom winked.

++++++++++

It was already dark when the other guests started arriving at the resort.

Se7en and Hanbyul were already in the pool with Seungri and some of the YG dancers.

Seunghyun and Jaewook were hanging around the DJ booth while Daesung was playing cards with their managers.

Jiyong was lying on a chaise lounge by the pool when Youngbae came over to join him.

"Aren't you gonna swim?" He asked, sitting on the vacant chaise lounge next to his best friend.

"Later, I'll just rest for awhile."

"Yah, you've been lying there for two hours already. You're missing all the fun."

Jiyong didn't reply.
 
"Look Ji, I know you're not in the mood. But for God's sake, there are people here who want to celebrate your special day."

Jiyong removed his sunglasses, puts it on the top of his head and turns to look at him.

"It's not like I don't want to mingle and celebrate, Youngbae-ah. I really can't help it if my mind and body won't cooperate on this occasion."

Youngbae rolled his eyes and stood up.

"Where are you going?"  

"I'll just get something to drink. Want any?"

Jiyong shook his head and put his sunglasses back on.

++++++++++

While waiting for his drink at the bar, Youngbae heard familiar voices nearby.
He glanced to his side and saw some members of Crazy standing a few meters away from him with their backs facing him.

"Aish! How many times do I have to tell you he's not coming?" He heard Jihye said.

"Yah, why do you keep pestering unnie about Deukie?" Miran annoying asked. "Why don't you just text him?"

"I can't." Heeyun quickly answered.

"Wae?"

"It's a long story." She answered Miran then she turned to Jihye.

"Tell me, unnie. How do you do it? I mean, whenever Youngbae oppa is around, how do you control your emotions."

Youngbae raised an eyebrow upon hearing his name being mentioned.

'Eh??' He wondered. 'What does her emotions got to do with me?'

He looked away feeling regretful that he overheard the girls’ conversation.

"Yah! Lower your voice." He heard Jihye said.

"Choesonghaeyo." Heeyun apologized.

"You want to be like her?" Miran snorted. "Don't you think it's kinda tragic that Jihye unnie just secretly watches Youngbae-sshi all the time?"

'Jihye nuna secretly watches me?' Youngbae repeated in his head. 'But wae?'

"What's wrong with that, unnie?"

"Aigoo, Heeyun-ah. She keeps telling everyone that they're just nuna-dongsaeng-whatever. But the truth is she's in love with him ever since the 'Namanbarabwa' days."

Youngbae gulped and narrowed his eyes. 'Jihye nuna is in love with me?!'

'What in the wo-'

"What do you want me to do?" His thoughts were interfered by Jihye's voice.

"Confess to him? Tell him I like him so that things will become awkward between us." She scoffed. "Thanks but no thanks, Miran-ah. I'd rather die keeping these feelings to myself."

"And besides, we all know who he likes." She added.

"I know what you mean." Heeyun said with sadness in her voice. "Even Deukie likes her."

"You're order, Youngbae-sshi." The bartender suddenly announced.

Youngbae was startled but he quickly took the glass and thanked him.

When he glanced back at the girls' direction, they were already staring at him in shock.

"O- Hi." He tried to greet them normally. "W-what are you girls doing here?"

The three dancers exchanged glances.

"Uhm..." Jihye started.

"W-w-we're j-just..." Heeyun stuttered. "We are-"

"We're just taking a rest, Youngbae-ah.” Miran answered calmly with a smile.

"N-ne. S-she's right." Jihye forced a chuckle. "We got tired from hours of swimming."

He smiled. "Well enjoy the party but don't tire yourself too much, we still have KJE Chocolate recording tomorrow."

"Ne," The three girls replied.

He quickly turned to leave.

++++++++++

Jaewook and the three Big Bang members gathered in one corner to talk.

"Aren't you guys gonna do something about him?" Jaewook asked them.

They were looking at Jiyong who was sitting alone on the chaise lounge.
He was watching the others who are playing and having fun in the pool.
Yanggaeng and Hyun Jong called him to join them but he declined with a faint smile.

"We already tried everything, hyung." Daesung said. "As you can see, he's really not in the mood."

"Gee, I wonder why?" Seunghyun snickered while taking a sip of his beer.

Youngbae came over to join them.

"What's with the face?" Seunghyun asked him.

"Have you given up on your best friend too?" He added, referring to his disturbed expression.

"Shut up, hyung."

Though Youngbae was bothered with what he just heard earlier from the female dancers, he tried to shrug it off knowing that he has other things to prioritize.

"So how's Ji doing?" He asked them.

"Still the same, hyung." Daesung filled him in.

"C'mon guys, this party is for him. As his brothers, we should cheer him up." He told them.

"That will be a tough mission to accomplish." Seungri spoke. "He's been scolding me and the manager hyungs since this morning."

They all looked at the maknae, wondering.

"Try waking him up when he has a hangover." He said.

Youngbae turned his head to face him. "He went drinking last night? With whom?"

"By himself." Seungri answered. "We found empty bottles of soju beside his bed."

"I can just imagine the scene in your dorm." Daesung frowned.

Jaewook patted the maknae's back while shaking his head. "I pity you, kid."

"You don't know how he is when he's grumpy." Seungri said.

Seunghyun snorted. "Oh I think we all know. That's the reason why I chose to live with my manager."

"Give him a break, guys." Youngbae said.

"We all know what he's going through right now. Even if it's his fault, it doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to be happy on his birthday."

Jaewook agreed. "Let's go guys."

Seungri made way for him. "Be our guest, hyung."

He glared at him. "Chicken!"

The maknae widened his eyes. "I AM NOT."

"I'll go first then." He offered, handing his can of beer to him. "Hold this for me, hyung."

Seungri was about to walk to where Jiyong was when the Big Bang leader suddenly glanced at their direction.

His face instantly darkened when he saw them huddled in the corner.

The maknae stopped in his tracks then started walking backwards.

"On second thought," He said to the others. "Calling me chicken isn't so bad."

He pushed Jaewook forward.

"Aishh!" Youngbae hissed at him as he marched towards his best friend,

Jaewook smacked the maknae in the back of the head.

"Ahhhh hyung, waeeeeeyooo?" Seungri whined, rubbing his head. "I'd rather be called chicken than be a dead duck."

The choreographer shook his head and walked away.

Daesung and Seunghyun, who were standing behind Seungri, were laughing their heads off.

++++++++++

Youngbae sat beside his best friend.

"Hey," He said nudging him lightly.

Jiyong glanced at him.

"Why don't you join them?" He asked looking at their friends in the pool.

"I will later." Jiyong replied taking his drink.

He grimaced after he took a sip. "Yah, why don't you drink something strong for a change?"

Youngbae chuckled. "You know how I feel about alcoholic beverages."

There was a brief silence.

"You guys were taking about me again, weren't you?" Jiyong said without looking at him.

"Ayyyy, you know we're just concern about you." Youngbae answered swinging his arm around his shoulders.

"I'm good. No need to worry about me."

Frowning, Youngbae stood up and pulled him to his feet.

"Yah!" Jiyong exclaimed.

"It's your birthday so enjoy, okay?" He said taking the glass from Jiyong's hand.

Without a warning he pushed him into the pool.

"Ya-" The last word he heard from the birthday boy.

Those who were in the pool cheered and laughed making the others turn around and look to what was happening.
Jiyong emerged from the water. "Yah! Dong Youngbae! I swear, I'm gonna get you for this!"

His best friend just laughed at the side of the pool while the other members jumped into the water to join Jiyong.

++++++++++

While Bom was recording the last part of the song, Dara sneaked outside.

She went to the lounge area and sat on the couch.

Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out her cell phone.

'Should I send him a message?' She thought. 'Should I greet him?'

She typed something on her cellphone but seconds later, she deleted the message.

'If I text him then it only means I have forgiven him.' She thought. 'Well.... Have I?'
 
"Aish!" She groaned.

++++++++++

"Good job, Bom." Teddy said when she came out of the recording room.

"Finally!" He stretched his arms wide and glanced at the wall clock.

"Just in time." He said with a smile.

"Are you going straight to Jiyong oppa's party?" Chaerin asked.

She and the other girls were fixing their things.

"Yup," Teddy answered grabbing his things from the table. "I'm just waiting for Kush and the others."

He glanced at Bom who was gathering Dara's things. "Where's Dara? You're all going to the party too, right?"

The three girls exchanged glances.

"Waeeee? Don't tell me you're not going now." Teddy raised an eyebrow while leaning against the table. "It's Jiyong's birthday and all YG Family members are invited."

"Uhmm...” Chaerin uttered looking at Bom and Minji. "W-we can't."

"Wae?" Teddy asked raising an eyebrow. "Is it because of Dara?"

None of the girls replied.

He rolled his eyes.

"That's nonsense. You girls should go. Jiyong will understand if Dara doesn't want to but you girls... NO EXCUSE."

The girls remained quiet.

He glanced at Bom who was avoiding his gaze. "Yah, what happened to your plan B?"

"Well....." She uttered. "I'm really not sure if it's gonna work."

++++++++++

Dara was still staring at her cellphone, thinking of what to type.

She suddenly heard voices coming from the hall, it seems like there are people talking and heading towards the lounge.

"I told you I don't want to." She heard a familiar voice said.

"C'mon, you're done with your errands already." Another voice said.

"I said n-" The voice paused. "Dara nuna!"


Dara looked up from her cellphone.

"Oh Kwon twins." She greeted in surprise. "What are you two doing here?"

They both greeted her with a bow.

"Annyeonghaseyo, nuna." Youngdon said smiling widely. "We're going to the party with Teddy hyung."

Youngdeuk glared at his twin.

"I told you I'm not going." He mumbled, enough for his twin to hear.

"Hey," They heard Teddy's voice.  

The twins bowed.

"Is Kush here?"

"Ye. Hyung and the others are waiting at the parking lot." Youngdon said.

Teddy turned to Dara. "Aren't you coming with us? The girls said they won't go without you."

Dara blinked. "Waeyo? They can go without me."

"They said they don't want to go without you." Teddy repeated.

"That's up to them." She said standing up.

The girls came out of the recording studio with gloomy expression on their faces.

"Oppa," Chaerin went to Teddy's side. "Just tell Jiyong oppa, we're tired already."

"Ye, oppa." Minji quietly said. "Tell him to enjoy his party."

Bom handed a paper bag to him. "Please give this gift to him."

"Yah!" Dara said crossing her arms over her chest. "Why don't you girls go with them?”

Bom rolled her eyes. "You know we can't just leave you all by yourself."

"Mwoh!" Dara cocked an eyebrow. "Wae?"

"Unnie, we can't party while you're alone at the dorm." Chaerin reasoned. "That wouldn't be right."

Minji grabbed Teddy's arm. "Oppa, tell Heeyun unnie and the other unnies that I'm sorry I can't come because I have to be with Dara unnie."

Teddy glanced at Dara then he turned to the girls.

"I really admire your friendship." He said with a smirk. "Imagine, you won't go to your other friend's birthday party because your friend here will be left alone."

"Ah jincha!" Dara irritably said out loud. "Okay, fine! I'll go."

She marched down the hall heading towards the elevator.

Teddy and the girls high-fived, making the twins wonder.

"I told you the guilt plan will work." Bom proudly said.

"Oh really?" Teddy made face then wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

"Kaja." He told them.

"Hyung, Deuk is not goi-" Youngdon wasn't able to finish his sentence because his twin was quick enough to cover his mouth.

Youngdeuk waved his free hand to them indicating it was nothing.

++++++++++

Youngbae smiled seeing his best friend loosening up that night.
He played, danced and laughed with them.
Jiyong even conspired with the others in doing stunts like throwing Seungri in the pool.
He was becoming himself again.

"Youngbae-ah!"

He turned to look and saw Se7en swimming towards him.

"Have you received the message?" His senior asked as he leaned against the wall of the pool.

"What message, hyung?"

"Bom texted, she said they're coming with Teddy and the others."

"Really? That's cool."

Se7en ran his hands through his wet hair. "She's with them."

A crease formed on Youngbae's forehead as he turned to look at him.

"Dara nuna's coming?"