Leaving Dad, Leaving Mom.

My Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The trip home with Yongguk was really enjoyable. Anything with your crush is enjoyable. Zelo smiles as he enters the bathroom, ready to wash off all the sweat and dirt from the soccer game this afternoon. He looks into the mirror and he sees a smiling boy, cheeks rosy and eyes twinkling. His white uniform shirt is crumpled and a little dirty with soil, the school badge slanted and his dark blue pants showed a few traces of dirt. When Zelo is about to close the bathroom door, he hears the sound of keys.

 

‘It’s mom!’ Zelo eagerly dashes to the front door to open the door for his mother.

 

“Mom!” It’s strange that his mother is home especially early today, usually she isn’t home until he is already asleep. But today, she came home with a stranger. Zelo immediately stops himself from blabbering to his mother excitedly as usual and bows slightly to the visitor.

 

“Oh Zelo, you are home already? That’s good, mom has somebody I want you to meet.” Zelo stands by the door, watching his mother invite this man he has never seen before into the house, already guessing what is his relationship with his mother. Zelo couldn’t help but feel a little upset. He knew one day his mother is going to find another person like his Dad but he doesn’t feel very happy to accept another man as his mother’s partner other than his own Dad.

 

“Zelo, come sit down with us.” Zelo’s mother takes Zelo by the arm and leads him to the living room, sitting down at the couch.

 

“Zelo-ah,” Zelo looks down at his hands on his knees. He already knows clearly what is going on. His mom is going to introduce him to his new ‘Dad’. “Actually, mom has been seeing this uncle here for quite some time now and I want you to meet him.”

 

Despite his mother’s smile, Zelo feels extremely uneasy. It has always been the two of them, for such a long since Dad left but now there is suddenly a new stranger in the house, invading his space, this small home of his that he never knew would ever change anymore. Zelo doesn’t like changes. He yearns security.

 

He bows awkwardly to the man seated beside his mother, avoiding eye contact after quickly taking a glance at the unfamiliar face.

 

“Hello Zelo. Your mother told me a lot about you.” His mother’s new partner smiles at him.

 

“I’ll go get some drinks.” Zelo’s mother stands to go to the kitchen and Zelo inwardly cringes as he is left alone with a stranger.

 

The man tries to start a conversation with Zelo. “I heard you are in a top school. You must be a very smart boy.” He tries to be friendly but Zelo doesn’t like it at all. Zelo doesn’t know what to say so he just keeps looking down at his hands, his lips pursed. He is suffocating in his uneasiness. This is so sudden and his mother didn’t even give him any hints about her having a boyfriend.

 

“Here.” Zelo’s mother came back with a can of chilled green tea. “Do you want orange juice, Zelo?”

 

Zelo shakes his head slowly, his eyes still staring downwards. It’s strange, the way his mother is behaving, she doesn’t asks him what he wants to drink usually.

 

Zelo’s mother takes a seat beside Zelo, their thighs touch as she puts a hand on his head, his hair lovingly. “Did you play today? Why did you come home so dirty?” This few traces of dirt is counted as dirty to Zelo’s mother because Zelo was never an active and sporty child, he’d rather stay indoors or just sit there listening to his music.

 

Zelo couldn’t find the mood to speak so he just nods his head.

 

“You must be tired from all the playing. Go take a bath.” Zelo’s mother pats him on the lower back. Zelo nods and goes to the bathroom obediently, his change of clothes and towel already inside the bathroom.

 

He closes the door behind him and notices the glum-looking face in the mirror. His mood just turned from sunny to dark clouds in a moment. He wish he was still outside of home, with Yongguk.

 

Zelo starts to undress slowly, mind filled with thoughts. There is a strange and awkward feeling inside of him, learning that his mother is dating. To him, his Mom will just be his mom so there will be nobody else except him, his Mom and his Dad. But

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter