:: o23 Final promise.

Between a Devil and an Angel

:: 15 years later 

 

1st August, 2028. 

Blue skies, soft tender clouds. Breezy winds, warm Summer days. I've never actually been a Summer person in my whole life, but for the first time in years of cold, damp cells and limited outdoor activities, I must say, standing here barefooted with occasional waves rippling towards me and washing over my feet while soaking up all the sunshine felt extremely refreshing. I've finally learned to appreciate the goodness of Summer. 

Time hasn't stop. The world hasn't change a bit. In fact, it has only gotten more beautiful as days past by. The only thing that has changed are the people living in it. And that includes me. 

It's amazing how as years drift by, you mature along. Of course, this is perfectly normal in a human's life, but when you realise that certain change has shaped you into who you are in your life today, you see yourself in a different light. 

Unfortunately, I am no longer the young and innocent girl I was years ago. As of this year, I will turn 35. Not very young already, huh? Maybe not on the outer appearance, but I definitely still am young at heart. At least, I like to think that.

Every now and then, I like to relive all the great memories I've had with my friends and family as I brush my fingers over each yellowing photo I have, as I reminisce my earlier college years. Then there was always this one photo that makes me stop from looking over to the next photo for an unusually longer time than any other photo I've ever owned. This one wasn't just any other poloroid, it was a special one. It was a candid photo. Me and this other guy were standing outside the gates of our college while the first snowfall took place. I remembered how unbelievably in love I was with him. I remembered the warmth of his lips on mine, and our cold fingers laced together to create a soothing warmth. Oh, how could I forget that? I would not be able to even if I tried. And I don't intend to in any way. 

Thoughts like 'how is he doing over there?' and 'I wonder if he thinks about me' sometimes swims their way into my mind and I find myself losing focus on what I am supposed to do at that time. Although I try to push them away, there's no denying that there is always a small glimmer of hope that prevents me from walking away from what we had started, away from everything we had built, because my heart still holds on to the one promise he has yet to fulfill. I haven't given up yet, because my heart still holds on to that one person who promised he'd come back for me. 

Even as I write all this down now, I can feel my heartbeat quicken its pace. 

Even after 15 years and a half, only at the thought of him, I can feel this familiar feeling surging in my chest. Butterflies in my stomach. Tingling feelings on the tip of my fingers. Heat warming up my already rosy cheeks. 

It's exactly the same as the years I've spent in an enclosed area sealed with steel bars. This is exactly what true love is, sincere and never ending. 

 

Because after all these years I am still unbelievably, insanely in love with that same guy. 

I am still in love with Choi Minho. 

 

-Jinri. 

1st December, 2028. 

Summer came and went by quicker than I had expected it to. Before I knew it, winter is here along with the usual hustle and bustle nearing the Christmas season. Even though I'm already in my mid-thirties, I still anticipate the first snowfall of the season, I still do crave for Christmas puddings and perhaps even a small little present wrapped in green and red coloured wrappers with a huge bow on top.

Some things stay forever, don't they? 

Despite having graduated University here with a doctorate degree in law, occasionally singing to songs in orphanages and shops when I have spare time, and achieving most of my goals on my 'list', somehow it always feels like a bit of me is missing. No, a big chunk of me is missing, in fact. And I know exactly what that is. 

Life wasn't exactly easy for me during my stay here, you see. I had to work twice as hard as the other students here. The students here are seriously not a joke. Years before I moved here, I've always wanted to major in music and then start a career as a singer, but I understand why my dad always seemed to be against it now. As all these years have passed by, the economy is no longer the same. Recession is frequently occurring in the Entertainment industry, and therefore many singers had been forced to find another job to support themselves while this issue is going on. But the thing is that, once you graduated with a degree in music, there's not much other options you can choose other than choosing an occupation that specialises in the Entertainment field. So chances are you'd get a job as a bartender or something. Not exactly interesting, if you consider the salary too. 

My father must have predict this to happen soon, therefore he insisted me to be a lawyer instead. And for that, I am extremely grateful. 

 

Life has taught me many lessons, I have to say. I think anyone who were in my shoes would know exactly how I feel. Among one of them is how to love someone. When I say this, I actually meant sincere love. Love that no walls can break and no oceans that can separate. When you would risk everything for that one person to be safe and happy, you know you are deeply and madly in love with them. 

 Sometimes I find my mind wandering to the times we had together. I wonder if she thinks of me, if she's been taken care of well. I wonder if it's lonely and cold in the cells, and I wonder if she remembers to eat well. At times like this, I miss her the most. It would be a plain, white lie if I say that I don't remember her and the times we had together. I did not manage to keep any photos of us at all, because my phone had been stolen a few years back. It would have been great if I have at least one poloroid of us, but even if I didn't have one, she would always remain in my memory anyway. 

I haven't given up yet. I haven't forgotten my promise. Everyday I am striving to do my best in order to earn enough to come back. Everyday I am thinking about her. Everyday I gently touch her lavender scented scarf before I start off my day, because she motivates me. 

So here I am, the first time in 15 years, sitting in an airplane as I write all of this while watching the city of Oxford becoming smaller and smaller until it is not visible anymore. 

 

I am up in the skies now. 

 

I am coming back to fulfill my promise. 

 

-Minho. 

 


------ A/N ------

This may seem a little sudden, but it is actually the end of this lovely story. Don't worry though, there will be an epilogue and a special chapter up for you guys! I tried to make the ending, you know, predictable, but different. Minho indeed comes back for his beloved! ;) You can say that they are actually writing a journal so that's why there are dates and they sign off their names at the end. 

Alright, here comes my thank yous to all of you guys! Thank you all commenters, silent readers, upvoters and also those who bothered to visit this story for reading my little story here! :) I appreciate every single one of you and honestly, I didn't expect to have this much subscribers. If I could give each of you guys hugs, I seriously would. /virtual hug/ hahaha 

It would be awesomeeee if you could tell me what you thought about the ending as well! I figured it's rather a peculiar way of writing an ending for a story, isn't it? Anyways, do comment or upvote this story if you'd like! 

 

See you all soon(in the epilogue)! 

 

R o b i n -