:: o15 Mistaken identities.

Between a Devil and an Angel

 

 

 

 

:: Narrator 

 

" Promises are meant to be broken, aren't they?!" 

 

Minho had yelled. Feeling like he was about to lose his temper fully, he had tried putting his act together. Sulli flinched at his sudden outburst. Inside, she knew it was true. Promises were meant to be broken, but clearly knowing that in her mind, she couldn't help but to promise him.

 

There was not much left to explain, since the truth has been revealed, but what was behind all that? It's up to Sulli, and herself to explain, - provided she can still be trusted. 

 

Apparently, it's plan was succeeding. It was meant to break Sulli and Minho apart, and according to Yuri, nothing is left between Taemin and Sulli as well. This only made it even happier, - talk about a psychopath. It has no feelings anymore, no remorse. It just wants to see her suffer more untill it eventually drowns her. 

 

But it decided that it would take Minho instead. She will take away Sulli's identity just like how she took its, it will push Sulli out of the way and make her fend for herself; and it will most definitely take away her happiness. The happiness that it had been craving for for its entire life. 

 

The happiness that was taken away from it, the happiness it witnessed her having instead of itself.

 

 That, was unfair. 

 

Silence was all there is.

 

After much persuasion of Sulli's friends, Minho was to send Sulli home while Taemin had already ran away. To who knows where.  He had learned the truth, and he was confused. Heck, he doesn't even know who she is now anymore. 

 

Finally, Minho can't take it anymore. He pulled over and demanded the truth from Sulli, the entire truth. Sulli's lips trembled as she takes in a shaky breath. 

" Now, or your out of this car." His stern voice echoed through the car, the radio was turned off. 

" I.. I-" She stopped abruptly as the tears she had been holding in flow right out of her eyes. Minho  sighed deeply. What on earth was her secret that made it so hard for her to just spill the beans? But he pushed the thought away as he grabbed a tissue from the glove compartment and handed it to Sulli. He just needs to be patient. 

 

He tried again after Sulli had calmed down a little. He took her hand in his in hope to give her warmth for she was shivering, but she flinched and kept her hand by her side, refusing him. Minho bit his lip. 

" Sulli-yah, I'm sorry for being that harsh to you. But please, I need to know the truth, I'm putting my trust in you now; and I'm really hoping that it'll stay that way." Said he, calmly but seriously. Sulli turned to him with a tear-stained face, her complexion was nothing like before. 

" Okay. I'll tell you everything." 

 

A rock bounced upon the window of their room and made a quiet sound, but loud enough for them both to hear. She moved across to the window sill and looked out in the misty surrounding, only to find Taemin waving from below and outside of the high gates. Unknowingly, a wide smile crept up her face as she waved back. 

" Open up, Sulli!" Nine-year-old Sulli quickly moved away from the window sill and nudged Jinri, who was right behind her. 

" Come on, sis! We have an adventure going on!" Jinri cocked her head sideways in delight excitement.

" What is it, Unnie? Don't you know the weather broadcast stated that its going to rain this afternoon?" Even though little Jinri was a year and a few moths younger than Sulli, she was witty and very observant. Sulli rolled her eyes at her little sister.

" That's the whole point, dongsaeng-ah! We're going biking in the rain! Isn't that cool? We haven't tried that one yet." She said, her eyes were even twinkling with excitement. Jinri thought for a moment before shaking her head. 

" But it's dangerous.." 

" Hey, Jinri, don't be such a baby. What will Taemin say if he finds out your a coward?" She teased, knowing her sister has feelings for the ten-year-old Taemin. Jinri agreed immediately after that statement. It was like she would do anything for him. Anything at all. 

So they set out quietly without their parents knowing. They took their bikes and opened the gate, joining Taemin. Taemin grinned from ear to ear as he saw Sulli. Sulli smiled back while Jinri stood in between them, not daring to look at Taemin's expression. It was like they were both destined to be together, and it hurt her just looking at him like that. 

" The adventure's totally on man!"  He said while punching the air. The sisters laughed at his comical expression while getting on their bikes respectively. 

They rode in the same way together for not more than a few minutes when rain began to pour. Everyone was drenched in a matter of  few seconds. Jinri glanced at Taemin and found him smiling at both of them. She froze. 

His raven black hair was so wet that it was sticking on his pale skin, rain was dripping from his perfect - or rather, to Jinri is was from his perfect jawline. She was mesmerised by his good looks even though he never tried to look good before. That's the thing, - He never bothered to tried yet he could capture her heart so quickly. 

" Come on, it's just starting to get exciting!" Taemin yelled over the rain. Both Jinri and Sulli looked at each other in doubt, but it was too late to turn back. Taemin stared at them both before cocking his head sideways. 

" Hey, you guys look totally the same in the rain! It was hard enough for me to differentiate you two in school, but now it's like I can't tell at all!" 

" Really?" They both chorused together, making Taemin's eyes widened. 

" The two of you even sound the same now!" He cried, making them both burst out in laughter. They use to play ' Sister Switch' in school and pretended to be each other, while everyone else was oblivious, only Taemin caught them in the act. Those were fun times, even though sometimes Jinri wishes she could switch forever. 

In the middle of that, rain started to increase as big droplets of rain hit their safet helmets. Taemin snapped his fingers before getting a grip of his bike again. 

" Lets get going. It'll be really fun to ride in the rain."  Yeah, fun at first. But they didn't see what was coming next. 

Taemin and Sulli were riding together when one of them stopped, followed by the other. They were just staring at each other with their eyes locked and one of their wet legs on the ground so they won't lose their balance. 

" Sulli-yah.. Your very special, to me." He started. Sulli, who was rooted to her spot, blinked. 

" Your special to me too, Taemin-ah." 

" I think I like you, Choi Sulli," He said quickly, " I like you, a lot." This was probably the best words that have ever came out from Taemin's mouth. Words that were not forceful as if he forced it out of his mouth, but words that were willing. 

" Tae- T-Taemin.. This is not a joke, right?" She questioned quietly, secretly hoping its not. Heck, for all she knows, she wish it was true. Taemin nodded his head with sincere in his eyes. For a ten-year-old, that was pretty well said, aye? 

Taemin leaned in closer and closer as Sulli's eyes widened a little. Although he had the guts to confess, he didn't have the guts to kiss her just yet. But he did it anyway, except, it was on her cheeks. 

Poor little Jinri was a bystander at that moment. There was a hurting look on her face as she grips onto her bike. But there was another rush of emotion rushing through her at the same time. - The rush of immense jealousy. So jealous that, even her demons were chased right out of her hidden side that even she didn't know it existed. 

The roads were extremely slippery, and when both Sulli and Taemin had pulled away from each other, they called Jinri over as if nothing happened. That angered her more. Her mind worked quickly. She suggested then playing hide and seek in that area, and Taemin was 'It'. The twins rode away quickly when he started counting. 

They were riding away quickly near the edge of the cliff. They figured that riding in the rain will be the best on a cliff, or a slope-ish place. 

Then that was it. The moment where her evil side took over her. 

Little Jinri can take no more. She's tired of being behind the spotlight. For once, she just wanted to be the main character. 

So she pushed her. She pushed Sulli down the cliff and she screamed. They both did scream, but it sounded identical anyway. Her lime green painted bike fell along with her, then it was too late to try and rescue her. Not that she wanted to. In fact, she was.. Satisfied. 

But as she sees Taemin running towards her direction yelling ' Whats going on?!', she put on a horrified face as she pretended to reach out for her sister. Taemin pulled her back while he looked down quickly, trying to see if Sulli can be seen anywhere. But to no avail, she was nowhere to be seen. It means that she would die from either the pressure as she was falling or.. She would die as she hits the ground. 

There seemed like there was no end, which was an even terrifying thought for Taemin. The love of his life, was gone. Until, he discovered that it wasn't Sulli who fell down. 

" Jinri!! J-Jinri!" Jinri yelled down with tears that seemed real streaming down her cheeks. Why, she was a good actor. 

" S-S-Sulli?" Taemin questioned. Jinri nodded her head as she continued yelling her own name. She was actually stealing her twin's identity. As much as it grieves Taemin, somehow he was relieved that Sulli was still alive. Or that was what he thought that time.

 

So it turns out, Sulli's body was never found. There didn't seem like there was an end to the ground below the cliff, and the police gave up searching for her. There was only Jinri left, and her parents treasured her very much. She loved the attention she gets, and was rather surprised that she was able to act like Sulli. No one knew she wasn't her, not even Taemin. 

From then on, she was Sulli. Choi, Sul-li. The Jinri in her was dead. Poof. Gone. 

 

 

Sulli, wait, Jinri shook her head vigorously as she recalls everything. And even told everything to Minho. See? This was what she meant when she said maybe one day he will realise she's not worth his trust. 

 

Minho leaned back in his seat as he rubbed his temple. He seemed very stressed. Especially when so many things happened. Her friends didn't even know any of this. None. Only Krystal was able to make out that the picture Taemin was staring at earlier wasn't Jinri because of the familiar mole on her nose. Sulli didn't have that. Jinri did. 

" I can't believe you, Sul-, J-Jinri. I can't. Y-you just stole someone's identity, do you know that?" Minho was utterly confused. It wasn't just her trust that was gone, he didn't know who she is anymore. Jinri looked away. 

" I'm leaving." She mumbled, ashamed as she went out of the car immediately. She ran, but Minho followed her. He needed to know more than just that. He needed to know if all the while her feelings were still centered on Taemin. After all, she supposedly killed her sister just for Taemin. He wasn't sure if he was still in the picture. 

 

Turns out, Jinri ran towards the tree house the built earlier. She wondered what took her there, but her feet did. She sat under the tree house near the tree trunk and breathed heavily. 

" What right did he have to judge me like that? He was hiding something from me too, I know. And he even promised me just as I did." 

 

Minho saw her there, a deep frown displayed on her face like it was carved in her forehead. Her fists were clenched as well. But Minho wasn't scared, he needed to find out, somehow. He walked up to her and gave her a yell. 

" You lied to me, you broke our promise, and now your running away?" Her head immediately shot up at that accusation. She stood up. 

" What right do you have to say that?! You were clearly hiding something from me! Maybe you should tell me what it is, huh? Tell me!!" She yelled, even louder than he did.  Minho froze. His body tensed. His secret. His haunting past. 

 

Immediately he fell on his knees as he clutches onto the grass around him. You can almost see veins popping up from his skin. Jinri's eyes widened as she realises that she had said something wrong. Her heart skips a beat as Minho raises his head again, this time full of anger, hatred with a mixture of a horrifying hollowness in his eyes. Jinri took a step backwards in fear. 

 

At the same time as Minho stood up, rain started pouring. Jinri noticed something in his hands that made her scared even more. A pocket knife. 

 

" I'm a murderer. I murdered my mother." Jinri gasped. Minho took a shaky step forward and with a different voice, he continued.

 

" You better run, because I can kill you right at this second."