:: o18 What do I do?

Between a Devil and an Angel

 

 

:: Narrator 

 

You see, there's really just so much a heart can take. One meeting has bond them together, their souls were close to giving up until their eyes met; eventually happiness will follow behind, right? 

 

Sadly, no. The only catch was that their unrighteous past will be dragged along too; and that's exactly what had happened to them two. It is sad, queer and at the same time it seemed hopeless. But does it have to end like that? Maybe, fate would be able to fix things a little; after all, it was the one that started all of this. 

 

Dawn came as quick as a lightning; at least, for Minho. The rose-pink light of dawn painted the sky, and indeed it was very beautiful. Minho sat up and groaned as his neck ached from resting it on a rock after he was knocked out. But more than that, he was suffering a terrible hangover. 

 

" Ugh.. I haven't drank this much since the last time I drank," He looked down and saw a piece of cloth wrapped around his right palm. 

" What's this? I don't remember wrapping myself up with this.. Cloth," He knew who it belonged to as soon as he brought it up to his nose. That familiar lavender scent still roamed around the cloth although it was filthy and soaked with blood. Minho's other trembling hand slowly made its way to the cloth as he touches the warm fabric. 

 

Soon enough, big droplets of tears dripped all over the already soaked cloth. As he cried his heart out, he realised that it was her scarf. He knew her all too well not to realise that it was her one and only scarf. It seemed as though it would be too long and thick to wrap his hand, but Minho's hand was big and wide. 

 

Won't she feel cold without her scarf? She gets cold easily. I'll leave it at her doorstep. 

 

Minho found no courage to meet her face to face, so he trudged slowly towards the direction of her home and stood in front of her doorstep. He intent to leave it there for her to find it. Taking a deep breath, he held his hand up high on shoulder level to knock but barely did when the door itself opened. 

 

Dumbfounded, Minho took a step backwards quickly when he saw someone he wasn't expecting. Jinri's mother. 

" Oh, hi there.. Minho-ssi." Minho noticed that the sparkle in Jinri's mother's eyes were no longer there anymore. The last time he met her and unexpectedly stayed for some tea, she was very bubbly and it seemed as though there were no worries in her eyes. 

 

It's exactly the opposite right now. 

" I'm sorry to bother you Mrs Choi, but is Jinri at home? I need to give her something," She frowned slightly at the request and pressed her lips together. 

" I'm not sure," She looked back into the house and to a certain direction before looking back at Minho, " if Jinri needs to see you now.." 

" T-then-" 

" Minho-ssi, please give her some space. I know that all this ruckus wasn't just her fault, it was yours, too." Her words were firm and it stung Minho a little bit upon hearing it. But it was true, of course. 

" I hope you reflect properly on your actions towards Jinri, because sometimes.. Sometimes, no matter what they have done, they are still human beings, they're not perfect." And with that, the elderly woman closed the door quietly. 

 

He was then left there in the cold, pondering over her words; and he began to properly think. Was he right for reacting the way he did to her? Was he right for looking at her with that disgusted gaze when he knew himself well that he did the same thing? Although for different reasons? And most of all, did he have the right to judge her? 

 

Wasn't love easy, like those in the books? Wasn't love the biggest hero when it comes to problems like this? If it is so, everything would have been perfect.

 

Walking along the paths and back to who-knows-where, Minho distinctly stares at the scarfs he still clutched onto. He looked up into the sky, and he thought,

'' I want to make things right,''

 

 

On the other hand, Minho's father, Choi Jae Wan has been looking out for his son. Something was off about his son, because instead of ignoring eveyrthing he asks him to do; like he always do, these few days he had been zoning out and even does what he requests him to do.

 

'' I will find out what it is, and if necessary; I will send him off to the states. That way, he would be able to study business instead of the singing career he'd always fancied, and at the same time away from what is distracting him now.''

 

Minho came back to his house crestfallen, wondering how he would be able to make things right again. But at the same time, a thought still lingers at the back of his head. Murderers. That's what we are. How can we both possibly live and get along knowing this for a fact?

 

Unknowingly, Minho took another step forward and ran straight into his father's chest. 

'' Woah there, kid. What's with the gloomy face? Your not yourself these days,'' Jae Wan was on his first step of his plan already. He needs to find out what is making his son like this.

'' W-what? N-nothing. What's for dinner?'' This stunned Jae Wan even more. Minho has never ate dinner on the same table as him before after his mother died. He ate out all the time.

'' I'm starved, dad.''

 

Jae Wan hurried to the kitchen and proceed with serving the menu for the night. (In case you forgot, Minho's family is very rich.) He then came out with a silver platter and placed it at the center of the long rectangle table. Minho blinked a few times before sitting down directly opposite of his father. Each digged into their dinner in silence, until Jae Wan decided to break the ice. 

" So, how is your studies going so far? Are you enjoying it?" Crap, Jae Wan realised that he shouldn't start the conversation like that. Minho would know straight away that he is trying to lead him to the topic of business. But surpirisingly he didn't seem to be fazed by the sensitive topic. 

" Good," Was all he responded. It was almost like a dreamy reply, as if he wasn't really listening. 

" Oh, and what do you plan to do in the future?" Minho snapped his head up at the question. It was almost like he questioned it in a spiteful manner. Minho slammed his fork and knife down at the table and stood up. 

" That's none of your business, now is it?" He retorted. Jae Wan knew there was no going back now. Either he forcibly send him to the states, or he tries to turn his mind over; which is most likely impossible. 

" Minho.." He began with a firm voice, " Tell me why are you acting like this." 

 

Minho was confused for a moment. 

" What do you mean?" 

" Your not acting yourself. What's been happening? Is it something to with the University you enrolled or-" 

" Will you just shut it about my studies? I'm doing perfectly fine." Jae Wan stood upon his disrespectful attitude. 

" Choi Minho! Do you not see I'm caring for you now? Don't you want me to care for you? Why don't you tell me what's troubling you?" Minho simply scoffed at that statement. 

" Isn't it a bit too late for that?" 

 

He turned and ran up to his room, leaving his father speechless. 

He slammed the door shut and sat down heavily on his bed. He hated his life now, he hated his father now. All the bad memories came back, and he remembered how his father was always too busy for him, always scolding him when he didn't do anything wrong. 

" Aish!" He groaned. He was so angry that he didn't realised he punched the TV remote control right beside him, causing the TV screen to flash numerous times before the screen turned alive. Coincidentally, it was on the news channel; and the reporter was currently yammering on about a certain accident that happened near Seoul's University of Music & Arts. 

" Ugh.." Minho bent down to reach for the remote control that had fallen over. He was bending halfway down when he heard a familiar name, and a woman crying in the back ground. 

 

He looked up only to see a woman in her mid-forties, crying in the background; her back hunched over and a police officer beside her. The news reporter had an apologetic expression on as she continued on what she was saying. 

" A terrible accident has happened a day ago down town, not far from Seoul's biggest University. In fact, it occurred at a construction site in which a new block was in the process of building. One of the social workers found a body of a young lady, Choi Sulli, 20 years old dead in front of the building under construction. Police does not suspect foul play, but it is found out that the young lady has consumed an overwhelming amount of heroine and it is believed that she has committed suicide. The police will still do further investigation before closing the case. Meanwhile..." 

 

Minho doesn't know how to react to this. Was it his fault she had jumped? After all, he was the last person to have seen her. More and more confusing thoughts bombarded Minho's mind, then a headache came and made it worse. 

 

" Jinri... Eottokae?"