:: o11 Confession.

Between a Devil and an Angel

:: Sulli 

 

Lately everything has been hectic. More and more work has to be done and my dream is to become a photographer. Plus, that lazy bum throws all of his work to me. Guess who? Well, it's the one and only Choi Minho. He says he wants to become a singer, that's why he enrolled into this Uni. But I've always doubt his choice. Maybe he just got into here because his father is in charge? I honestly don't know.

 

But, behind all my busy schedule, I knew it was still around. I tried burying the image of it at the back if my mind but I wasn't so successfull. Also, these days Yuri has been eyeing me from time to time, making me grow suspicious at her actions. 

 

I don't know what she's thinking either, but it looks like she has a plan or something. Especially when she doesn't like me too. 

" Yah, get it done quickly before he comes." Came the sound of Minho's voice, waking me up from my thoughts. I hissed and glared at him before throwing a kick to his leg. But to no avail, he didn't feel even a tiny bit painful. 

 

I sighed and turned back to the music theory book layed in front if me. I took music when I was five, so I still have an idea how to do vocal theory. And now that Minho knows, his work has became mine. I picked up the pencil and started scribbling music notes and translated Italian terms to English. 

 

" Ms. Choi. What are you doing here?" I froze. That voice belongs to.. Mr. Choi! I turned my head immediately and his face was just a millimetre away from mine. I gulped. 

" Stay away from her, Mr. Choi." Minho said, then looked straight in his eyes. Mr. Choi sighed, it's as if he was disappointed. He backed away and smiled a little. 

" You can just call me-" 

" We're in Uni now," Minho said through gritted teeth. Mr. Choi held up both of his hands like he was surrendering and walked off. I turned to Minho. 

" He's your dad, right?" 

" No." I sighed. What made him so angry when he sees his dad? I grabbed Minho's hand and gave it a squeeze. 

" Look," I said, " I know you don't want to talk about it, but I'm here if you need me." I said, waiting for him to say anything. But alas, he only walked away from the room not even bothering to take his book with him. 

-- 

 

Music class. The class I've been waiting for all week. Third floor, first left and the last room down the hallway. But I remembered Taemin is in the same class as I am. I grew anxious. I knew it'd be awkward for us, because lately we have not been talking to each other even though we are supposedly in a relationship. 

 

I reached out and knocked the door, then pushed the door open to see everyone turning their heads to me. Some ignored me while some waved. I walked in and bowed. 

 

" Annyeonghaseyo, am I late?" I politely asked, facing the teacher at the front of the class. Mr. Young. 

" No, you are right on time, take a seat next to.." He looked around and noticed a empty spot near a boy. " Next to Lee Taemin." 

 

Well, I guess I'll be paired with him then. In any other days, this would be the joy of my life, but right now it doesn't seem so. Dragging my feet towards the seat, I could see Taemin biting his lip. I guess he didn't want to be paired up with me too. 

 

" Hey," I simply said as I took a seat beside him. " How's life?" Taemin looked at me as though I was being too random. But then, he looked away once he met my eyes. 

" It's been.. Great." He whispered, only loud enough for me to hear. I nodded my head in response and turned to the worksheet that was layed on top of my desk. We normally do theory before moving on to practical. I picked up my pencil and started scribbling on the paper. 

 

I badly.. Wanted to just tell him that I like someone else but, I just could not bring myself to break his heart. I tried shuffling nearer to him so I can make small talk with him, but he seemed like he was avoiding me. The closer I got, the further he moves away. Half an hour passed with silence between us. None of us talked. He didn't even smile. 

 

I bit my lip and squeezed my eyes shut. This is not going as how I expected it to. 

" Alright, class. Lets move on to practical work," Said Mr. Young, clasping his hands together with a smile on his face. I sighed and flipped the worksheet over so the blank page is facing the front. 

 

We moved towards the back of the room which has a grand piano, a keyboard, a few violin cases on the corner of the room. Other instruments were stacked neatly in the shelf in their respective cases. A note was placed on each instrument by Mr. Young. 

 

Duet piano sheets are on top of the piano: Lee Tae-min & Choi Sul-li.

 

Not again. We're paired up this week for practical. I hesitantly look up to see Taemin's reaction but he had already walked over to the seat and started reading the piano sheets while muttering words to himself. I looked around, but unfortunately was caught by Mr. Young. 

" Is there a problem, Ms. Choi?" He asked. I wasn't sure if he was annoyed or concerned. I shook my head quickly. 

" N-no, teacher." 

" I will be expecting great practical work from you then, Ms. Choi. Do practise before I come and mark your work." I sighed in relief when he walked away. I turned back and was shocked. Taemin was standing right in front of me and I would have bumped straight into him if he had not caught me. 

 

I took a step back, and as I expected, his hands slipped off my arms. 

" I-I'm sorry, Taemin." The ironic thing was, I wasn't just sorry because of that, I was sorry for another thing too. 

" It's okay, we should practise before he comes." With that, he sat back down on the long bench placed in front of the piano. I followed suite. I rubbed my palms against my jeans and took a glance on the sheets propped up against the piano. One of my talents is that I can read the notes on the sheets very quickly and play them straight away. 

 

I looked at Taemin. He looked back at me. Awkward. I looked back at the piano and spoke. 

" Do you want to start? Now?" 

" Okay." We both placed our hands on top of the keys. Just get lost in the music. I keep telling myself over and over again. I can't afford to mess this up. 

 

 

 

Taemin was the first to start since he is playing the bass and I'm playing the treble. Passacaglia by Handel Halvorsen. It was a lively piece but also kind of peaceful. At least, to me. I was so lost in it that I was closing my eyes while playing it. I wanted to forget everything that has been happening to me. Just everything.

 

I was too lost in it that although the piece has already finish, I was still playing it. Untill a hand suddenly grabs onto my wrist. 

 

My hands froze, I opened my eyes to find many eyes on me. Probably the whole class. Mr. Young appeared with a concern expression on his face. 

" Are you sure your okay, Ms. Choi?" He said, " You were frowning while playing, unlike all the other times." He's right. I never frowned before while playing a piece. I my dry lips and shook my head, trying to look fine. 

" Of course I am, teacher. Just tired, you know." I forced a smile that convinced him that I was okay. 

" Then I will mark you now then," he said, making his way towards the piano. Taemin had let go of my hands and stared at me. I know he knows that I'm not okay. But he didn't say anything. Instead, he grabbed my hands again and squeezed them, then placed his hands back on the piano. I gave him a grateful smile. 

 

We were still communicating. At least, with body language. And that was enough for me. 

 

Mr. Young took a seat beside the piano with his log book on his lap and a pen ready in his right hand. 

" 1,2,3." Taemin whispered before taking off with the first few notes. I joined in and I was soon lost in the music. Again. I made sure that I wasn't frowning, which to my amazement, was difficult. They just automatically creased together and I find myself concentrating more on making sure I wasn't frowning rather than on the piece we were playing. 

 

B flat minor. It was supposed to be B flat, but I mistook it for A flat. Big mistake. The tone sounded extremely weird and I opened my eyes. Mr. Young stared at me. I regained myself and carry on playing. I could feel myself giving away. I was frowning, and my eyes was on the piano keys. 

 

It was just bad. I kept on making small mistakes that I should not. I was normally not this careless but even with my eyes wide opened I still got them wrong. I was busy thinking about other things while playing the piano. Too many other things. 

 

When it was finished, Mr. Young looked disappointed. I saw his hand scribbled something on the paper then a big cross at the end. He stood up and looked at Taemin, then back at me. 

" Come over here for a second," he said to me. I did as told. The crowd was now whispering at me. We were alone at the furthest corner of the room. 

" Sulli.. Tell me what's wrong," I looked up. He has never called me by my name informally. 

" N-nothing, I told you, teacher. I'm just tired." Mr. Young doesn't seem convince this time. I repeated my sentence and gave him what seemed like a genuine smile, showing off my teeth. 

" Maybe I'm not the right person to talk to you about whatever that has been happening in your life, but I'm a listener." He said, " So if you need someone to talk to, just come to me." And with that, he dismissed us. 

 

I gathered my books, and usually I was the last one to leave the class as well. I walked to the door and pulled it open. Again, I got a fright. 

" Sheesh, Taemin. How many times do you plan to scare me like that?" I asked while my hands held onto my chest. He didn't answer but he pulled my wrist so I'd follow him. 

" Where are we going?" I asked. We were already heading towards the back of the building. He continued to walk in a fast pace untill we both reached the end of building. He turned to me and his eyes were watery. I honestly don't know what he is planning to do. 

 

" S-sulli-ah.. I-I.. I, I like someone else." He stuttered. " I know i was going out with you b-but, I ended up liking.. Krystal." I blinked. So he was doing the same. I was feeling so guilty that I am liking someone else but all along he was doing the same. Moreover, with my best friend.

I couldn't speak. Words won't come out. Taemin grabbed my shoulder and looked me in the eyes. 

" I-I'm sorry," I pushed his hands away. I knew I was wrong. I knew that I was also wrong for cheating over him, but anger got the best out of me. I wasn't thinking right either. My eyebrows twitched. Taemin noticed and opened his mouth to say something else but I stopped him. 

" There's noting more to say, nothing more." 

 

I turned my back against him and walked away from him, despite him calling after me. I walked further and further away from him, away from the voice calling out to me. 

 

My friends were waiting at the entrance. Music class was my last class for the day. Amber waved when she saw me, causing the others to look back at me. 

" Hey, Ssul! What's up?" Amber asked. I looked down and held my books tighter in my hands. 

" Hey.. Are you okay?" Krystal asked. I shook my head. No I wasn't. I yanked her hands away from my arms, turned and ran. 

" Yah, Sulli!" Krystal called. She ran after me as well. When she finally caught up with me, we were at someplace we don't even know. 

 

" Hey, just tell me what happened." She said, breathing heavily. I turned to her. 

" You were going out with Taemin, weren't you?" I yelled uncontrollably. Krystal stiffened at my reply, then looked up at me with anger clearly shown in her eyes. I wasn't expecting that reaction. 

" You know yourself very well that you were doing the same!" She said, " With Minho, right?" I began realising that I shouldn't have acted the way I did towards Taemin. We were both at fault, but I was taking it like it was his fault. I knelt down weakly when I realised that I was a coward. I can't stop blaming myself. 

 

We both made the same mistake for being in a relationship together, but there is a difference. The only difference is that.. 

 

He had the guts to confess, I didn't.