:: o1o Pinky promise.

Between a Devil and an Angel

 

 

:: Narrator 

 

" We don't have hammers or nails though.." Sulli murmured while scratching her head. Then it hit Minho. They didn't have any materials to build the tree house. Minho sighed in frustration and ruffled his hair. 

" Guess we have to build it another time then," He reluctantly said, kicking a rock on the ground hardly. 

 

Even though he would never admit this to anyone, he knew inside his heart that he wanted to spend more time with Sulli. But burying that fact at the back of his mind, he shook his head then looked back at Sulli. 

" Do you want to stay here?" She asked, " Or do you want to go home?" 

" I don't want to stay here, lets just go back." He answered, bending down to pick his bag up. Sulli nodded her head and smiled. 

 

Without warning, Sulli took Minho's hand and laced it with hers. She secretly smiled as she sees Minho's shocked expression. But he didn't protest. He liked it that way. And it's another thing that he will never admit to anyone either.  They walked back as silence took over the atmosphere. 

 

Minho's heart raced as seconds goes by. Their hands were still together, and he finds his soul getting pulled by Sulli herself without her knowing. There was something more to her, really. Because he himself has a dark past, so not only can he hide his feelings well, he can also see through people who hides their feelings well. And Sulli definitely has a secret. Maybe not as dark as his, but it was still something she fears. 

 

While pondering over the thought over and over again, they had already reached their neighbourhood. 

" We'll build it tomorrow." He said to her as they turn into another street leading to Sulli's house. 

" Sure." She simply said, still with a smile plastered across her face. Minho could not help but to wonder if he was the reason behind that smile. But looking down at his hands that were locked with hers. He felt like it would not last. 

 

She was thinking the same, as she promised herself she will stay loyal to Taemin. Plus, they were together. And she wasn't supposed to hold hands with another guy and act like they are a couple. But she could not help herself. Her love for Taemin now was one-sided. 

 

But there was also another thing. She was not what she seemed. She was the innocent girl, but what if her little secret could cause damage to her relationship with both Minho and Taemin? She wants to help others, but she would not help herself out from the tangled lies she has around her. She just won't. 

" We're here." Minho said suddenly, making Sulli jump a little. 

" Oh." Sulli stepped forward and was about to open the door when she turned back abruptly. 

" Um.. Minho? Thanks." She said, then quickly twisted the doorknob and went inside. 

 

" Wait, what? Why thank me?" Minho asked, but he knew he was talking to the wind. Sighing, he turned around and traced his footsteps back down the small steps that led to Sulli's front door and took another look at her house before leaving. 

 

Sulli leaned against the door and felt her cheeks. It was hot even though it was winter. Her mother came out from the kitchen and greeted her with the usual smile. 

" So how did it go? Did you find out?" She asked with curiosity, still wearing an apron and holding a soup ladle on her right hand. Sulli shook her head and said nothing but went straight up the stairs and to her room.  Mrs. Choi pressed her lips together and stared at the soup ladle on her right hand. 

 

Then someone knocked on the door. Mrs. Choi gulped. She knew who was coming. 

--

 

The next day was unusually cold. Sulli's room is gloomy as the curtains were drawn. Today though, she woke up rather early, just laying on the bed and stared at the white ceiling on top of her. Waking up with a feeling that something was pressing her down. 

 

The door slowly creaked opened. At this sound, Sulli quickly ran down the stairs. She knew that if her mom hesitates to open the door it means that something's not quite right. 

She reached her mom just in time to see that same old person there. Every month. It comes. Every time, it has only one thing it asks for. - Money. Nothing else. 

" What are you doing here?" Her mom demanded. It glances up to her with a smirk and steps in the house. 

" Is it wrong for me to visit once in a while?" It said. 

" We do not welcome you here." Sulli plainly said, making it turn to her. It walked towards her and grabbed her collar, giving her a smug smile. 

" Oh Ssul, you've grown to be so beautiful. Are you working now? Or are you a ?" Sulli pushed it away harshly and brushed her collar. 

" Get away from me, and I'm not a ." She said. 

It yawns as if it was bored then pushed her mom, making her back away untill she reached the wall, giving her no room to back away anymore. 

" Don't touch her," She yelled, making her way towards it but it pushes her away. Sulli stumbled back and clutched the sofa beside her to get her balance again. 

" How much do you want? Just tell me and I'll give you." 

" You can't do that, Umma!" Sulli said, but of course, was immediately shut up by it. It was strong, and was rebellious, it was someone that was precious to Sulli. But not anymore. All it wants was money. 

"  Half of what you have. Now." It said. Her mother scrambled quickly towards her room and Sulli could hear her pulling out drawers and messing around her cupboard. Now it turns to Sulli. 

" Do you enjoy your life? How does it feel like living under a web of lies, huh?" It says. Sulli frowned in anger and raised her hand to slap its cheek. And she did. It touched it's cheek and turned to her with hurtful eyes. 

" What have I done wrong? It was you. It was you who made me to who I am now. It's your fault." It says furiously, it's eyes were now filled with anger and hatred. Sulli winced at her change of mood. Just before it was about to strike her back, her mom came out from her room, shoving a handful of money into its hands. 

" You've got what you want, so get out of here." Her mother snapped. It, however wasn't paying much attention to what she said. She was staring at the handful of money, and Sulli could see the greed building up in its eyes. It was written everywhere. 

" She said, get out." Sulli repeated, shoving it out of the door quickly before it could react. And with that, Sulli slammed the door shut, leaning against it while staring at her mom. She locked the door and brushed past her mom and went up the stairs again. But before she did, she still managed to catch the last phrase it said behind the door. 

 

" Thank you," 

 

 

Sulli blinked, trying to get the image of it out of her mind. It traumatised her every time she sees it. And to think that it used to be someone precious to her was unimaginable. Someone that used to be part of her.

'' Sulli-ah! School's starting soon, you should get ready now.'' Said her mom from downstairs. Sulli mentally groaned and stood up from her bed. She reached over and pulled open the curtains, letting the Sun shine through before going into the bathroom.

 

 

She stepped out of her door for the first time since yesterday. An extra scarf was wrapped around her neck as she makes her way to her school. It was a 10 minutes walk and she reached her destination in no time.

 

Sulli  continued walking then stopped at her locker down the hallway and mentally scolded herself.  She forgot to pay the rent for her locker again. She noted it down in her mind then turned the knob left and right according to the combination. Once it was opened, she searched for the respective books for her next lessons. 

 

A note laid just on top of one of her books. Sulli stared at it and wondered who put it in there. 

 

           Come to the isolated park across the street and a few blocks down after Uni. 

          Do as I say. I will be waiting there at 3 sharp. 

         - The one you love most. 

 

Sulli shivered after reading it. She stuffed the note into her pocket and continued to her class as if nothing happened. If it wants money again, she's not giving it. 

-- 

 

Uni finished around 2, and Sulli is tired. Mostly because she had to do double work, - for hers and Minho's. And yes. She is still his 'bodyguard.' And no matter how much she persuades him to let her go, he'd always threaten to print her diary, even though Minho would never do that. 

" Sulli-ah, where are you going?" Luna yelled after her, she turned back and waved. 

" I have to go somewhere, I'll see you tomorrow." Her life has gotten much more busy since Minho had came into her life. Her social life was cut short and she doesn't talk to her friends much other than on the phone. But they understand.

 

Running out of the big door, she looked to the right and left in case Minho is somewhere. And to her relief, he was nowhere to be found. She doesn't want him to follow her. Or her secret will be exposed. 

 

3 o' clock. Sulli was there waiting already. She tapped her foot against the ground and hummed. But when it appears, the hum faded away and her foot was still. It walks up to her with a hood on and a cap. Sulli could see it smirking. 

" How much have you got now?" It asked. Sulli shook her head in disapproval. 

" You can't go on like this," Sulli said, her eyebrows were creased together. It snickered then pushed her. It's smirk was now replaced with angry frown. But before it could do anything else, someone yelled from the back. 

" Yah Sulli!" Sulli froze at the voice, so did it. It was only when he called for the second time did Sulli turn around. 

 

It was Minho, looking at it with a weird look. 

" Who are you?" He asked it. It didn't say anything though, not giving away it's identity. He couldn't tell whether it's a guy or a girl. 

" Minho.." Sulli said, before running towards him. Minho caught Sulli in his arms and looked at it. 

" Who is that?" Sulli only shook her head in response. 

" Lets get out of here." Sulli said, pulling Minho out and away from the park. When Sulli thinks that it was out of earshot, she turned to Minho. 

" Are we going to build the tree house?" 

" Yeah." He simply said.  They reached the destination in no time, and had got down to work. Minho had all the materials and they started building the tree house. And it was romantic. Sulli helped painted the house in a lighter shade of brown and had pranked Minho by 'painting' his hair with brown paint. 

 

" Yah! Get back here," he had yelled and ran after her, catching her and then stumbling down the small slope below them. Sulli screamed in excitement while holding on to Minho's sleeve. That moment. That moment when they made eye-contact and had almost kissed each other if it weren't for Sulli who pulled apart immediately. 

 

Now they sat up on top of the tree in the tree house. It was cool inside and Minho lended his jacket to Sulli. They sat crossed-legged and faced each other. Then Sulli spoke. 

" Can you answer my question honestly?" She asked. Minho looked at her for a while before nodding his head. 

" What's the story behind the incident with my mom in my house?" Minho stiffened then thought he should at least let her know. 

" Well.. My mom left me." He said, his head hung low. Sulli frowned as she saw immense guilt in his expression. 

" I-I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked." Minho shook his head then smiled a little as he looked at her. 

" No it's okay. But in return answer my question." He said, to which Sulli nodded to. 

" What's your darkest secret?" Sulli laughed at his question and said, 

" My darkest secret was when my best friend betrayed me." 

" Is that all?" Minho he asked, but Sulli nodded her head. 

" Then promise me one thing.. Don't hide anything else from me, whether good or bad." He said, " Pinky promise?" 

" And you promise as well?" She asked back, to which Minho nodded with approval. 

 

Sorry Minho, but I just can't let you know. 

 

Sorry Sulli, but it's not everything I've told you. 

 

 

" Pinky promise."