Chapter 1: Mere coincidence? I don't wanna know

What Were the Odds?

My name is Choi Sooyoung. I'm 21 years old and I'm a culinary arts student from Seoul National University. I live with my friend-slash-sunbae Kim Taeyeon. She has taken care of me ever since my mother died when I was three. She on the other hand, is a foster child who abandoned her foster family to pursue her dreams as a singer. We live at an apartment near the university. We both have part-time jobs and share the same circle-of-friends. Although our circle is only small, it’s quite warm and very welcoming.

 

 

Its Wednesday so I have my cooking class today and Taeyeon-unnie (I call her unnie well, of course she’s older but it doesn’t seem like it) has work. I whammed the alarm clock with my hand and got my cell phone. I was still in my room under my sheets. The temperature is quite cold and so I got up and peeked at the window. Winter has finally come.

 

 

“Unnie” I called out from the kitchen. This is my every day task. To make Taeyeon-unnie’s breakfast. Despite the fact that I am a pig, I provide her the finest meals. “Unnie!” I continued to call, my attention still on the ingredients. “KIM TAEYEON! Are you planning to sleep all day? Wake up already! You’re gonna be late for work.”

 

It works like a charm. Not calling her unnie really drags her out of her bed. She doesn’t like anyone disrespecting her. But I’ll consider myself as an exception.

 

“Good morning unnie!” I smiled leaning on the counter.

 

She looked like a small kid who just got up from a comfortable and long nap. She paused for a moment and scratched her head before continuing towards me. “The next time you wake me up, make sure you do it right!” she slammed the counter with her palm.

 

“Guess you’re still upset about yesterday huh…” I said giving off a sad tone.

 

“I’m not upset, I’m just happy. “ She said, furrowing her eyebrows while pouring a glass of warm cocoa milk.

 

“You’re upset because you were drunk last night because a certain someone destroyed your little heart that’s all you’re trying to say. And you’re happy because you have confidence that you’ll forget him easily? Is that what you’re trying to say?” I pointed my knife towards her direction and gave a slight glare.

 

“Tsk… It’s his fault for betraying me” she said. I continued to what I was doing. She was then silent and tears began to block her eyes. She tried to hold it back but it didn’t seem to work, after all she needed to cry as well.

 

I continued cooking while I let Taeyeon-unnie finish up all her tears. I didn’t say anything even after breakfast and neither did she.

 

 

“Ah, it’s so cold!” I said covering myself with my arms. I headed towards the School library to get the latest cookbook from a certain chef for my report. I was wearing my favorite sweatshirt and my casual jeans. Taeyeon-unnie lent me her scarf as a form of saying thanks.

 

I saw a car pull up in front of the library where there was a clear “no parking” sign. It was a bit nice car since it was a Ferrari and I bet it was the latest model. I went to check who the driver was and found out that it was Cho Kyuhyun. He got out of the car with his winter attire on and shot me a look. Yeah, I know him all right. He’s the son of the School’s Director; the stubborn son of the Director who always get their names dirty.

 

I ignored him and proceeded walking and finally arrived at my destination. I was about to enter when I someone suddenly secretly whispered from behind. “So, what are you going to do about it? I’m parking at a no parking zone…”

 

I jolted and turned around. “YAH… LEAVE ME ALONE THEN I WON’T REPORT IT TO THE TEACHERS.”

 

He smirked leaving me behind. I tried to absorb some things… This is a library… Cho Kyuhyun is a stubborn guy… and Cho Kyuhyun is actually inside a library? Wow! I could not believe it! I instantly forgot about the car thing and checked what he is doing inside an establishment full of words.

 

He proceeded to the Historical Arts section. I needed my book on the latest published cookbooks so I made my way to the magazines. My interest and focus still on him, I kept glancing every once in a while and finally got what I was looking for. “Yes!” I hugged the book in glee and gasped. I was immediately told by the student librarian to keep quite.

 

I nodded to say sorry and quickly walked towards the school librarian’s table. “I want to borrow this please.”

 

“Ah, okay dear, wait for a few moments.”

 

I sat at the nearest table and noticed that there were art books placed on the desk. I flipped a page and saw the works of Leonardo da Vinci. Pretty nice I thought not noticing that I was giving off a look.

 

 The book was immediately snatched from my grip and saw the same smirking Kyuhyun in front of me. “I didn’t know culinary arts students like you needed da Vinci to teach you how to cook.”

 

He sure is annoying. A pain-in-the-neck if you ask me. She noted herself staring at the guy.

 

I ignored him again and went to the librarian’s table. I finally got the book and went directly out of the building. I didn’t bother turning my head again. I shook the scary thoughts away.

 

 

(After school)

Message: Sooyounggie, I’ll be late tonight, please prepare honey tea okay?

From: Taengoo

 

I flipped my phone close. I was sitting beside a vending machine and was drinking hot coffee when a random guy got my phone. I hurriedly followed him and was lucky enough that it was still five o’clock in the afternoon. “Please stop that guy!” I shouted but unfortunately no one seemed to have heard me.

 

The guy was standing on the edge of the sidewalk at the intersection waiting for the light to turn green. Yes, I have reached the highway and I didn’t even realize it. I ran twice as fast and hoped for some miracle.

 

As I almost grabbed hold of him the light when red and he got across accidentally hitting a red Ferrari; (or the Ferrari hit him rather) which was turning to the left.  Fortunately the car stopped causing him to freeze only in fright. I gave a sigh as I watched from the far end and went near the scene right after the light turned green again. I was thankful enough to the driver until I found out who the driver was.

 

The car stopped the car engine and got out. “If it isn’t the culinary arts student.” He gave me his look and smirked. He closed the door and went to the front side of the car. “Ah, good thing it didn’t cause a scratch on my baby.”

 

He cares for his car more than the guy who he almost hit! How selfish can this guy get?I thought giving off a stern look not realizing that the guy who stole my phone was about to escape. Kyuhyun gladly got hold of him. “Now where do you think you’re going?”

 

 

“Thank you officer.” We reported the guy to the police and justice was served.

 

Kyuhyun waited outside the station near the university as I explained the incident to the police. When I got out he was already inside his car looking out the window shield. I went near him just to thank him. “Thanks for helping” I said without any intentions on looking at him.

 

“Get in…” I heard him say.

 

“Huh?” I asked with a smirk.

 

“I said get in, I’m hungry let’s eat”

 

I observed his expression and followed his orders directly. I sat on the passenger seat and locked my seatbelt before her started the engine on. He and I were silent and I hoped to stay quiet for a while. I kept on looking at him every now and then and I wanted to laugh at his serious face but decided to keep quiet. It’s weird being with this guy; seems as if he’s always on a bad mood or something.

 

Maybe God made this to happen. I met him earlier and God sent him back to help me. Then God must have planned this already… mere coincidence? I don't wanna know. But I do hope that whatever God is planning, it doesn’t concern anything with this guy.

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: I'm sorry for the long chapter... I'll shorten it on the next one^^ please enjoy the fic!