Twenty Nine

Shadow of You

 

 
A/N:
Just going to slot in some snippets of flashbacks here and there. 
* Not in any chronological  order. 
 
 
--
 
 
New York
8 Years Ago 
 
 
Hyuk cupped his ears trying to shut away the loud poundings at his door. 
 
 
'Hyukkie!!! Please!' 
 
 
Hyuk shook his head in denial. 
 
 
Min called out weakly from the bed.
 
 
'Is he the one that's in your wallet's photo?' 
 
 
The poundings on the doors stopped and Hyuk looked up from where he was slumped down at. 
 
 
Had Hae given up?
 
 
'Why are you shutting him out?' Min asked. 
 
 
'Sleep Min.' Hyuk croaked. Eyes still staring at the door. His heart heavy and tight. 
 
 
Was Hae still there? 
 
 
'You should look at yourself.' Min tried sitting up on the bed. 
 
 
Hyuk shot to his feet, 'What are you trying to do?' 
 
 
'Open the door for him. You do know we're in the middle of winter now don't you?' 
 
 
'Damn! You ing broke your ankle stop moving!' Hyuk pushed Min back on the bed. 'H-he might have left.' 
 
 
Min snorted. 
 
 
'Anyone would. I couldn't even believe he came to find you again. Especially after that stunt you pulled at the stadium that day.' 
 
 
Hyuk collapsed at the side of the bed with his head in his hands, guilt eating at him, pain clenching his heart tightly. 
 
 
'I had to. He shouldn't have come. I have nothing. I lost the competition and you broke your ankle because of me. I must do this. I must. I need to.' 
 
 
'You love him don't you.' 
 
 
'My love is useless at this moment. I am useless! Don't you get it! I'm nothing! Nothing to offer nothing to give! I will drain him and eat him dry if he knew the truth. He would go to extreme to help me, I know that. And that would kill me! I can't do that! He needs to go back go back GO BACK!!' Hyuk went crazy and started throwing things off the side table. 
 
 
Hyuk cried himself to sleep after long moments. 
 
 
Min quietly took his clutches and went to the door. Careful of his broken ankle. 
 
 
He knew he was just being paranoid but he just wanted to make sure. 
 
 
Of course he wouldn't be there. 
 
 
The poundings on the door had stopped long ago.  
 
 
Anyone would have given up. 
 
 
But Min gasped and nearly fell off his clutches when he opened the door and saw a shivering mess of Donghae on the cold cement floor. His face turning blue because of the cold. 
 
 
'Hyuk!!!' Min screamed. 
 
 
---
 
 
Present Day 
 
 
'Hmmm winter is coming soon.' Hae began. 'Should I prepare more jackets gloves and stuffs like that for you?' 
 
 
Hyuk shut the door softly. 
 
 
'You don't have to do that.' 
 
 
Hae widened his eyes, 'Eh, isn't that part of my job?' 
 
 
Hyuk walked to the bed and sat on it. He patted the space beside him. 
 
 
Fighting the instinct to be away from the man who had treated him so coldly before, Hae forced a smile and went to sit beside Hyuk. 
 
 
'Hae, why do you agree to this?' Hyuk spoke. 
 
 
'I just want to help Kyu.'
 
 
'Even though you hate me?' 
 
 
Min had pulled Hyuk over the night before, trying his best to make Hyuk understand Hae's behaviours so far. And even though he hated to admit it, Min was right. Nothing that Hae had done so far make any sense. 
 
 
He was angry and hateful one day then sweet and tender the next. 
 
 
He needed to know what caused this change. For all he knew, Hae ought to be hateful and full of wrath for Hyuk. Instead of the way he was now. 
 
 
Beside him, he heard Hae sighed heavily and he began twirling his fingers nervously. It was a habit of Hae since young, he always did that whenever he was nervous. 
 
 
'I don't.' 
 
 
'What?' 
 
 
Hae looked up at Hyuk sadly, 'How could I?' 
 
 
'Hae...' Hyuk whispered. Not daring to speak more, afraid that he would break down. 
 
 
Suddenly, nothing seemed to matter. Hae was here with him wasn't it? Instead of analyzing his every action, he should treasure and pamper him all the more now. 
 
 
'I know i should hate you. And i truly did.' Hae said, 'But everything is over now. We have all move on. So should the both of us, especially with each other.' 
 
 
Hyuk reached out to touch Hae's hands only for the younger to quickly pull away  as if burnt, and stood abruptly. 
 
 
'Hae?' 
 
 
Hae laughed awkwardly then. Seemingly caught by surprise at his own action. 
 
 
'I-it shocked me.' He swallowed dryly, Hyuk, you should know I'm with Wonnie now. So, lets just minimize unnecessary contact.' 
 
 
Hyuk got up to his feet. He felt anger rising up with that confession. How the hell had Siwon got into Hae's heart? 
 
 
As he moved to Hae, the latter backed away again, making Hyuk frowned suspiciously. Hae was being too skittish. Especially after what he said earlier. 
 
 
'Uhm... Let's just get to work shall we. I'm not staying here with you guys so, time is limited.' Hae went to his backpack to retrieve his phone. 
 
 
'Oh Sungmin-ssi texted me! Seems like we need to dress you up for the new collaboration cover poster!' 
 
 
---
 
 
'No, let me do it!' 
 
 
'Don't you trust my skills?' 
 
 
'No! Not that, i-i--'
 
 
Hyuk opened the car door of the passenger seat and gently guided Hae in. 
 
 
'Hyuk, what would people say if they see you driving me?' Hae protested.  
 
 
The dancer merely smiled and popped his head in, leaning close to Hae, he grabbed the seatbelt and buckled him up. 
 
 
When he closed the door behind him, Hae was fighting a blush and a warm tingling sensation inside his chest. 
 
 
So much so he nearly wanted to punch himself in the face. 
 
 
So far nothing had gone as planned. He wasn't how he had planned to be. 
 
 
Like alway he was led by the nose by Hyuk. 
 
 
'All right! You have to give me the directions though.' Hyuk got in the driver's seat. 
 
 
'Things would be easier if you let me drive.' Hae mumbled, drawing a low chuckle from his side.