Twenty Three

Shadow of You

 

 

 
Hae was playing some silly games on Siwon's computer when Kyu suddenly flung open the office door in a rush, making Hae jumped slightly in Siwon's seat. 
 
 
'Siwon you have to hel-- H... Hae?' Kyu seemed shocked for a moment, 'Y-you're in office today?'
 
 
'Should I be offended at that?' Hae faked a frown, 'Anyway Wonnie is out for meeting. What's up?' 
 
 
The singer darted his gaze nervously, 'Uhm n-no! Nothing at all. I-i be going.'
 
 
'Wait!' Hae called out when Kyu began backing out, 'Talk to me Kyu. There must be something from the way you just dashed in like that.' 
 
 
Kyu faltered at that. This was Hae showing his puppy eye gaze. How could he refuse him anything? 
 
 
But then again, since when Hae knew he had such charms and kept using them?  
 
 
He sighed. 
 
 
'Kyu?' Hae pressed. 
 
 
'Not now Hae. I shouldn't be the one to break the news t--' Kyu clamped his mouth shut. How dumb could he get?
 
 
'Break the news? What news?' Hae had inched forward. 
 
 
'N-nothin--'
 
 
'Kyu, could it be that you keeping something from me?' Hae narrowed his eyes. 
 
 
Damnnit. Where was Siwon when I need him? Kyu thought begrudgingly. 
 
 
'Kyu?'
 
 
The singer froze when he felt Hae near him and as the latter touched his arm lightly again, Kyu sighed heavily. 
 
 
He never could keep secrets long enough from Hae. 
 
 
Beside, Hae deserved to know. 
 
 
Sooner or later, he would know. 
 
 
Not to mention, this was something that definitely concerned him. 
 
 
Kyu picked up Hae's hand to provide him the support he knew his friend would need. 
 
 
'Hae... H-he... He... That is... H-hyukjae is back.' 
 
 
'Oh.' Hae knitted his brows together for a brief moment before his expression changed to neutral again. 'That's it?' 
 
 
'What?' Kyu was shocked by the lack of emotions playing on Hae's features. 
 
 
Hae leaned away from the singer, put a finger under his chin and tapped it lightly, as if recalling a seemingly unimportant event. 
 
 
'Ah... I thought I saw him yesterday. So it's really him... Hmm... He's indeed more good  looking than on television, than before.' 
 
 
Kyu grabbed Hae's shoulders, hardly believing his ears, and, eyes, 'What? Where did y--' How??' 
 
 
'I was out for a while yesterday and I thought I saw someone that looked like him. Didn't bother about it.' Hae shrugged nonchalantly.  
 
 
'Come Kyu!' The honey blond began tugging on Kyu's arm, 'Come over here and help me with my game!' 
 
 
Kyu frowned and cold dread sliced his guts. 
 
 
This didn't feel right. 
 
 
Hae was too calm, too composed. 
 
 
Too nonchalant. 
 
 
Kyu might be a singer. But he had met enough people in the entertainment industry to learn when one was lying. 
 
 
Kyu knew an actor when he saw one. 
 
 
And right now, Hae was that actor. 
 
 
---
 
 
Hae wasn't dumb. 
 
 
He might be so in the past but not anymore. 
 
 
As the lie slipped from his lips earlier he realized it was easier than he thought. 
 
 
Years had made him perfected himself into a man he had to become. 
 
 
And now, probably now was the time for him to prove his worth. To show Hyukjae exactly what he had so carelessly, cruelly thrown away. 
 
 
A chance was all he needed. 
 
 
---
 
 
'What?' Hyuk shot up from his seat, sending the swivel chair wheeling behind. 
 
 
'Hyuk relax.' Min tried to pull Hyuk back. 
 
 
Kyu was unfazed by the outburst as he settled back in his seat and crossed his long leg, 'That was a just small condition Hyukjae. Can't bear to let him work just so slightly more?' 
 
 
'Slightly? You call that slightly?' Hyuk snarled. 
 
 
'I agree.' It was Min. 
 
 
Kyu smirked. 
 
 
'But i have a condition as well.' Min said. 
 
 
'Min are you even thinking? Do you know what they are asking of you?' Hyuk shook Min. 
 
 
Min ignored Hyuk and faced Kyu, 'Well?' 
 
 
'What is it?' 
 
 
Min walked forward to where Kyu was seated. Trying to remain composed at Kyu's look of contempt at him. 
 
 
He knew. All of them had valid reasons to hate him. But for Hyuk, he would bear with these. For Hae as well. 
 
 
'I can be the manager for all 4 of you, KRY and Hyuk. But then as you know Hyuk is of slightly different status, he's an international star. So even if he can't have his own manager now, he needs at least a personal assistant.' Min stated. 
 
 
Hyuk's heart began to pound fast as he froze. 
 
 
Somehow he knew where this was heading. Min and him had talked about this so many times ever since Hae and him reunited - despite the circumstances - and had been thinking of ways to make Hae trust in Hyuk again. 
 
 
This could be it. The chance he needed to get close to his Hae again. 
 
 
If Min played this well right now. 
 
 
'So? He wants a personal assistant? Not my business. We just need you to serve us all.' Kyu uncrossed his legs and stood to his full height, purposefully towering over Min. 'Listen, I won't make this easy for you. So think before you answer me. And if you can't agree than both of you can go back and forget about the collaboration.'
 
 
Min held Kyu's cold stare. 
 
 
'I've already said I agree didn't I?' 
 
 
'Very well.' Kyu smirked and turned to the door. 
 
 
'I haven't finished Kyuhyun.'
 
 
The singer's eyes narrowed. 
 
 
It was now Min's turn to turn the tables on this boy, 'You see... Hyuk can't just hire any assistant. He needs someone who knows his needs without him asking for it. He's a very busy man.' 
 
 
Kyu began tapping his foot impatiently, still unaware of how the conversation would turn out.
 
 
'So I, will act as the manager for you guys while the person I want, be assigned as Hyuk's personal assistant. Agree?' 
 
 
Hyuk was nervous at hell at that. 
 
 
Min was good. 
 
 
'That's it? Damn. You're really wasting my time here.' Kyu began walking out. 
 
 
'Kyu! You haven't answered me!' Min called out. 
 
 
The singer turned and shot him a sharp glare, 'Yes. Yes. Come on why would i care about who he hires. By the way come fetch me tomorrow at 8am sharp.'
 
 
The door closed. 
 
 
Min faced Hyuk with a triumphant smile, 'That boy is damn rude but, easy to trick.'
 
 
'Min.'
 
 
'I know Hyuk. I know. Trust me.' 
 
 
---