Two

Shadow of You

 

A/N: To those who are waiting! This is a pretty long chapter hope you  guys like it! =)

 

---

 

“Don’t you know that I want to be

More than just your friend…”

---

-10 Years Later-

 


I ran down the stairs when I heard Hyukkie's voice, nearly tripping in my haste to get to him.



He came forward quickly and put his strong arms around my waist so that I wouldn't fall.



I held him tight to me in a crushing embrace.



'You are finally back! I miss you Hyukkie...'



'So do I, Hae.'



Another strong big pair of arms came over to join in our hug.



'Uhm i'm kind of suffocating though.' Hyukkie choked slightly.



Siwon let go of the both of us but I continued to hold him tight.



It had been two weeks since Hyukkie had been away. And I have been missing him terribly ever since.



'Hae is so annoying when you are gone. Glad that you are back!' Siwon patted Hyukjae's back.



I let go of Hyukjae though he was still holding onto my waist.



I glared at Siwon, 'I'm not annoying!'



'Ha-ha! Says the one who kept creeping into my room every night whining about being lonely.' Siwon retorted as he put his arms around Hyukjae and began walking to the living room.



'I-I just... Well… blame Hyukkie.' I jumped to my own defence.



Ever since the rainy night when Hyukjae brought me back here, this place had been like sanctuary to me.



Suddenly in my life I experienced affection and warmth. I have friends. I have Siwon and most importantly, I have Hyukjae.



No matter how many days or months or years had passed since then, I would always see him as my hero.



The one who rescued me and turned my life basically into a fairy tale.



'Yes it was all my fault. I'm sorry I had to leave you alone too, Hae. But i bought you something.' Hyukjae said.



'What did you buy?' I asked excitedly as I half skipped to them.



Hyukjae started to rummage his back pack and pulled out a long thin purple box.



'Wow what's this?' I took the box and looked at Hyukjae expectantly.



'Where is mine?' Siwon voice sounded monotonously. His expression void of any amusement anymore.



'Why would you need anything?' Hyukjae laughed as Siwon jaw dropped.



'Seriously it's always been a pain to buy you anything. I had already long given up on that.'



'Well at least buy me... B-buy me uhm... Buy me a magnet or something!'



I started laughing at the both of them.



'Hae, just continue to laugh and i will snatch the gift away.' Siwon threatened but his eyes gave him away. He was suppressing his laughter too.



'He wouldn't dare, not when I’m here. Go ahead, open the box.' Hyukjae flicked his gaze to the box.



'Okay.'



I opened the lid slowly and gasped.



'Wow Hyukkie... It looked expensive.' I marvelled in awe as I stared at the exquisite bracelet.



'Hae. Look over here.'



He pulled his long sleeves up and showed his wrist to me.



'I have one too.' He said.



'What the hell. Are you both couple or something? Matching bracelets? Hyukjae? Seriously?' Siwon deadpanned.



I smacked Siwon's shoulder, 'You are just jealous Wonnie. Hyukkie is my best friend. Of course we can have a matching bracelet!'



'You’re right. One day I will buy you a ring. Let's see if you will freak out.' Siwon teased.



'Hey don’t say things like that.' Hyukjae suddenly said with a serious expression.



Both Siwon and I shared a confused look as we wondered about his sudden change in demeanour.



Hyukjae got up from his seat and came to take the bracelet out from the box.



'Let me put it on for you Hae.'



After securing the bracelet on my wrist I looked up to see him smiling down at the sight of the bracelet on my wrist.



'Don't take it out all right.'



'Of course!' I beamed.



'Now I feel so left out.' Siwon sighed dramatically as he leaned back on the couch.



---

I had been staying at Siwon's house – uhm, mansion - ever since the day Hyukjae rescued me.



As for Hyukjae, since his parents divorce, he had been living together with his Mum. But since his mum is a world famous model her schedule doesn’t allow her to be able to take care of him.



Since Hyukjae's mum and Siwon's parents have been long time friends, since young Hyukjae had practically been staying together in Siwon's place as Hyukjae's mum has to be constantly flying around.



Recently her mum remarried and i heard that she would be settling down in New York.



I began to worry if Hyukjae would follow her there.



The two weeks which Hyukjae went New York to spend the holidays with his family had only fed my insecurities.



I had never been so lonely before.



Sure, I have had Siwon's company but somehow, that is different.



I only wanted Hyukkie to be with me. Is that a bad thing to wish for?



Right now, days after Hyukjae’s return, I am in Siwon's room playing Starcraft - recommended to us by our classmate Kyuhyun - I couldn’t help thinking about Hyukjae and worrying again.



I had thought Hyukkie seemed different ever since he came back.

 

I felt he had become slightly reserved. This is very nerve wrecking for me.



Hyukjae is never reserved with me.



I wondered if anything happened in New York.



'Aha! Hae you died again!' Siwon loud happy voice bombed my inner thoughts and I realised my game character had indeed died.



'Damn I really at this.' I sighed and got up from the desk.



Siwon turned and looked at me, 'Where are you going? Not playing anymore?'



'No more. Kyu always kills me first.' I pouted. 'I am going to find Hyukkie.'



'Ah okay!' Siwon returned his attention back to the computer game again as I left the room.



I knocked on Hyukjae’s door softly before entering the room quietly.



Immediately i saw Hyukjae got up from the bed in a sudden rush and he palmed his face.



Suspecting that there was indeed something wrong, I rushed to his side and knelt in front of him as he sat back onto the bed.



He was shaking.



'Hyukkie... Hyukkie? Oh dear, you are crying!'



I put my arms around him and started rubbing his back soothingly.



'Hyukkie why? What happened?' I whispered.



He merely shook his head and refused to tell me a word.



'Please tell me. Let me help you.'



'No Hae. Don’t ask. Nobody- N-n-nobody can help.'



He started to pull me away and I gasped slightly as I saw his bloodshot puffy eyes.



Exactly how long had he been crying?



I saw his face inched near mine as he pecked my cheeks gently. His hand came up to my cheeks.



This was how our friendship was like. It was not unusual for us to show affection this way.



But right now it had felt different. Hyukjae seemed to be looking at me differently. I felt my heart rate increased suddenly. I couldn’t read his expression at all.



'Hyukkie...' I whispered again. Not knowing what to say to comfort him.



He kissed my cheek again.



But instead of lifting his face away like he always does after giving me a peck on the cheek, he continued pressing another kiss to the corner of my lips.



I froze on the spot. Not knowing what to do.



Then slowly I felt him pressed his plump lips onto my own thin ones and felt as if my heart stopped.



That... That w-was my first kiss.



With a tear stricken face Hyukjae looked into my eyes.



'I'm leaving, Donghae.'



My worst fear had come to life and my world started to take on another change at those softly breathe words.


---