Twenty Seven

Shadow of You

 

 
 
Hyuk drank in the very sight of Hae. 
 
 
Soft honey blond locks that went past his ears and curl just slightly around his neck, pink thin lips that lifted up into a slight curve and his soft gaze that seemed to bore into the very depths of his very soul. 
 
 
It was just like before. 
 
 
The way Hae was staring at him. It was just like the 8 years between them didn't happen at all. 
 
 
It was as if that rainy day when he came back to Hae didn't happen at all. 
 
 
He opened his arms and moved closer to where Hae was. 
 
 
As Hyuk was about to envelop Hae into his arms again, the younger backed away and coughed awkwardly.
 
 
'H-hyuk... Wonnie... He's outside.' Hae smiled uneasily. 
 
 
Hyuk's arm dropped and the words escaped his lips before he knew it, 'Hae... I miss you.'
 
 
A glint of hardness that looked like anger flash across Hae's eyes but it happened too fast for Hyuk to register fully before Hae smiled again.  
 
 
'Me as well Hyuk.' Hae's eyes did not meet Hyuk's. 
 
 
Min decided to clear his throat then, snapping Hyuk out of his longing gaze at Hae. 
 
 
'Uhm Donghae-ssi, if I may ask. Why the sudden visit? Is there something we can do for you?' Min said gently. Fully aware of Hae's hatred for him. 
 
 
Actually... For them. 
 
 
And so, he's really suspicious and bewildered by how Hae was behaving today. 
 
 
'Ah!' Hae exclaimed suddenly. 
 
 
'If you looked at the agreement I gave you earlier, you can see that I've signed it.' Hae said. 
 
 
The dancer quickly move to Hae and hugged him close. 
 
 
'You really agree?' He murmured against Hae's ear, causing an unwanted shiver to course through the younger. Yet he could not push Hyuk away. He felt so warm, so safe in the man's arms. 
 
 
But it was a lie he knew all too well. 
 
 
The warmth. The comfort. It was just an illusion. 
 
 
Well, two can play this game. 
 
 
Hae nodded against Hyuk's shoulder, his hands crawling up to pat Hyuk's back. 
 
 
'I just came to tell you nothing has changed. I have to go now.' Hae breathed purposefully against the man's neck, immediately making Hyuk crushed him tighter. Their bodies pressed tightly against each other. 
 
 
Hae was pleased with what his little action caused to Hyuk. From how the man had reacted. Hae realized he affected Hyuk more than he had expected and smirked. 
 
 
After one last breath against Hyuk, he pushed himself away and headed for the door. 
 
 
'Bye Hyuk, we will meet again soon.' Hae smiled sweetly before turning an head out the suite. 
 
 
Hyuk beamed, filling hope rising whereas Min furrowed his brows at the seemingly weird behaviors of Hae that Hyuk didn't seem to catch. 
 
 
---
 
 
The ride back home was full of tension and awkwardness. 
 
 
'Wonnie, I had to agree. Kyu can't give up his career just like that.' His hand went over to Siwon's thigh lightly as the latter seemed to concentrate hard on the roads ahead. 
 
 
'What about me?' Siwon said, his voice strained, 'You work for me. This can't change just like that.' 
 
 
Hae chuckled.  
 
 
'Me? I was just there for show Wonnie! Teukkie did a pretty good job as your assistant actually.' 
 
 
'He's my General Manager Hae.' 
 
 
The car pulled off just outside their house but neither made a move to get out. 
 
 
Siwon leaned back on the driver's seat with his eyes closed. Looking weary and defeated. He could feel it already. He was going to lose Hae. 
 
 
Just then he felt a slight weight against his arm and found Hae leaning against him. 
 
 
Hae looked up as Siwon opened his eyes and peered at him. 
 
 
Those eyes reflected so much love and tenderness and Hae lifted his hand to Siwon's face. 
 
 
'Don't worry. I may be dumb but I know what you're afraid of.' Hae said softly, his fingers tracing Siwon's face gently, 'You have nothing to fear. I'll always be here, by your side.' 
 
 
Siwon's hand grabbed Hae's and interlocked their fingers together. 
 
 
Those were not the words he wanted to hear. The words he had always wanted never come and he had learned to accept it. But he was getting greedy. If only Hae could give him a stronger promise...
 
 
'I love you Hae.' Siwon breathed. Holding Hae's slightly wavering gaze and daring the same words to return to him from Hae as well. 
 
 
But as always. 
 
 
It never happened. 
 
 
'I know. Baby i know.' Hae smiled tenderly and leaned up to kiss him. 
 
 
Distracting him. 
 
 
Just as always. 
 
 
But Siwon recognized it clearly today. 
 
 
Finally. 
 
 
He finally realized it. 
 
 
It was guilt of not being able to say the same words back that made Hae did that. 
 
 
So Siwon turned his head away from Hae's seeking lips this time. His heart clenching tightly. Painfully. 
 
 
'Let's go back.' He choked. And moved to get out of car. 
 
 
---