Twenty

Shadow of You

 

 
Hae opened his eyes in spite of the rain hitting on his face. 
 
 
Distantly he saw a car door opened and a figure stepped out. 
 
 
Hae froze. 
 
 
For moments, he had thought his mind was playing tricks on him yet again. That it had been an illusion. Or he hoped, a really really bad nightmare again. 
 
 
But as he felt the rain hitting on his skin, the cold winds chilling him to the bones, he knew it was true. 
 
 
Hyukkie
 
 
It was him. 
 
 
His heart nearly failed as his entire body went even colder. His pulse doubled as he felt shock taking over his every fibre as he watched the man stepped forward, one slow agonizing step at a time. 
 
 
The rain quickly drenching Hyukjae as he struggled to keep his eyes opened. 
 
 
No. 
 
 
Don't. 
 
 
Hyukjae started running to him. 
 
 
No...
 
 
Hae wanted to turn around and run. He so nearly did so. 
 
 
'Hae.' He felt himself being jerked forcefully into the man's arms. 
 
 
'I'm back Hae. Hae... Come back to me. Listen to me. You have to listen to me.' The man holding him began begging while desperately brushing his lips over the side of Hae's face, 'Please please, listen to me.'
 
 
Both of them desperately blinking the rain and tears out of their eyes. 
 
 
Hyuk's in relief as he finally had his love in his arms again. 
 
 
Hae's in agony after all he had been through and was about to be put through again. 
 
 
Who the hell did Hyukjae think he was. 
 
 
Ditching him after that one heated night and then years later to come waltzing back into his life? 
 
 
Did Hyukjae really think that he was that stupid? 
 
 
Hae began laughing. He probably was. 
 
 
But that was in the past. Not now. 
 
 
Hae pushed Hyuk away with all his might and the sudden action caught Hyuk by surprise and he let go. 
 
 
Hae immediately lifted his fist and punched Hyuk. 
 
 
'Hey! Stop!!!'
 
 
And as Hae turned to the side he saw--
 
 
Damn ing Lee Sungmin running over to Hyuk's side. Hooking his arm over Hyuk. In Hae's anger, he didn't recognize that action as an act of support, but of affection. 
 
 
'Are you stupid? Your ing lover was hugging me just now didn't you see that?' Hae yelled at them. 
 
 
'Hae.' Hyuk was dumbfounded. 
 
 
'Hear us out Donghae.' Sungmin was still holding onto Hyuk's arm. 
 
 
'For what? Leave! Just go! Just go!' Hae couldn't take it anymore. Couldn't hear anything anymore as he cupped his hands over his ears and collapsed onto the floor. 
 
 
Hyuk tugged Min's hand away and knelt down next to Hae. 
 
 
'Hae, there was never anything betwe--'
 
 
'I am with Wonnie now. Go. Go away. I don't need you here.' Hae spoke softly, with a calmness he did not feel. 
 
 
Seeing Lee Sungmin with Hyukjae right now was the last straw. 
 
 
Hae wanted to hurt him. Just like they did to him back then. Again and again until they broke him completely. Until he became what he had become now. 
 
 
On the other end, Hyuk's heart broke. He expected Siwon to pick up Hae's broken pieces and had expected them to share a friendship none could breach. This he could try to handle. 
 
 
Friendship. 
 
 
Not a ing relationship
 
 
Before Hyuk could recover, Hae spoke again. His voice hard and cold. 
 
 
'There had been others as well Hyukjae. You said I was boring and cold in bed didn't you? So i perfected myself with other men.  What else do you want? A quick to verify these?' Hae looked over, straight into Hyuk's eyes as he said that with a smirk, 'Perhaps you want it now?'
 
 
Min gasped at Hae's words. He knew they hurt him in the past. But this wasn't the same boy back then. Who was this Hae?
 
 
'Hyuk! Don't!' Min tried to stop it but Hyuk's hand had already landed on Hae's cheeks. 
 
 
'You ing slapped me??!!! What right do you have!' Hae lost it then. 
 
 
'Who the hell are you Lee Donghae! This isn't you at all.' 
 
 
'You made me this way!' 
 
 
Hyuk's hands grabbed Hae's shoulders and shook him hard. 
 
 
'I'm back Hae. I don't care all right. I don't ing care!!! Damn it! Hell! Why did you do that!' 
 
 
Hyuk shoved Hae away. He couldn't take this. 
 
 
He couldn't pretend he didn't care. 
 
 
He couldn't help imagining how Hae had let others touch him... He couldn't... Couldn't.
 
 
Damn.
 
 
A cold realisation hit him hard in the gut. 
 
 
He really did make him this way... 
 
 
If not for the things he said when Siwon and Hae found him at his worst in New York, Hae wouldn't have become like this. 
 
 
He had only thought of the immediate effect his words would do to Hae. He wanted Hae to leave. And Hae left. 
 
 
But when Hae finally left after all those time in New York, he left believing with all his heart all those accusations that Hyuk had so cruelly threw to him every single time. And left with the images Hyuk had so purposefully created to make him go. 
 
 
Hyuk was the one who had so purposefully drilled those accusations into Hae. Even when the younger didn't believe it and kept going back, Hyuk kept pushing and kept treating him as cruelly as he could. 
 
 
Was that why he changed into such a person? 
 
 
His heart broke and ache badly as he stared at Hae. Drenched in the rain. Broken from the inside out. 
 
 
What if Hae now knew these were just lies? How bad how worst how stupid would he feel?
 
 
It was all lies. All to make Hae stayed away. And he did succeed. 
 
 
Hae was right. 
 
 
He was indeed the culprit that made today's Hae. 
 
 
'Donghae... You misunderstood us in the past.' Min began. 
 
 
No
 
 
The truth that it had all been a lie would really destroy Hae now. 
 
 
'Don't say anything Min. L-let's g-go.' Hyuk's voice broke. 
 
 
'Go! I never wanted you back anyway!' Hae shouted, 'I never ever needed you!'
 
 
Hyuk's felt his entire world crumbled to pieces at those words. 
 
 
---