Twenty Six

Shadow of You

 

Min was rubbing a warm egg on Hyuk's cheek. 
 
 
'Got punched twice in a day. And by the same brat. You are getting weak Hyuk.' Min chuckled. 
 
 
'It was worth everything. I got him back by my side. That's all that matter.' 
 
 
Their doorbell of their hotel suite rang and they shared a look of confusion before Min dropped the egg and went to the door. 
 
 
Min's eyes widened as he opened the door and the man at the door nodded slightly before entering the suite. 
 
 
Hyuk got to his feet, 'Siwon?' 
 
 
'I'll make it quick. What exactly do you want now? Money? More fame? What is it exactly?' 
 
 
The beginning of a smile that formed at seeing his old friend died once the latter spoke, 'And if I say I want none of that?' 
 
 
'Why did you return?' 
 
 
'This is where I belong Siwon! I just ing come back home is that so wrong?' Hyuk's heart broke. He knew he had no right to explain things but it didn't mean it didn't hurt. 
 
 
And the man before Hyuk looked weary all of a sudden as he started rubbing his temples. 
 
 
'I-i-i don't mean t-to-- But why... Of all people. Why Hae?' Siwon struggled to get the words out, afraid of the answer he would get. 
 
 
Hyuk sat upon the bed as Min slowly moved to his side. Watching Siwon curiously and giving silent support to his best friend. 
 
 
'I'm not going to do anything to him. If that's what's worrying you.' Hyuk sighed. He really didn't want to fight with his friend. But if this was what he had to do to make Hae come to him, open up and trust him again, he would do it. 
 
 
Siwon began to shake his head as a bleak laugh escaped his lips. 
 
 
'The damage has already been done years ago Hyukjae. Hae is barely hanging on a thin thread. Any more you do now will really crush him this time. So please, I'm asking you. If you want the best for him, leave. Just go.' 
 
 
---
 
 
'No. Don't. I'm still mad at you Kyu. Why did you punch him?' Hae exclaimed. 
 
 
'He was taking advantage of you!' 
 
 
'I don't see it that way Kyu. What's wrong with you? Aren't we all friends?' 
 
 
Kyu whipped around to face Hae. Anger reflecting sharply in those big brown orbs of his. 
 
 
'Hae! Stop giving me this . You think for one moment that I would truly believe that you are over him?' He snapped. Still unable to get over the earlier scene in his head. 
 
 
'Ky--'
 
 
'No. I don't believe that. You are never over him. So please, please stop it. Stop acting and think that nobody knows!' Kyu grabbed Hae's shoulders. 
 
 
Hae jerked himself away from the singer's reach. 
 
 
'I guess I'll just have to prove it to you then.' 
 
 
---
 
 
Hae was tracing the patterns of his bedspread. Lost in his thoughts, wondering if there was any other way to do it differently. 
 
 
The answer was a quick no. 
 
 
He couldn't let Kyu quit his singing career just because Hyukjae was back. That wasn't going to change anything. Hae would make sure of that. Kyu had been there for him for so long, caring and protecting him in his own ways. He wanted to do the same for Kyu as well. 
 
 
A bitter laugh escaped those thin lips and Hae's fisted the bed spread tightly, his eyes took on a sharp glint. 
 
 
That was of course not the entire reason why he agreed to be Hyukjae's personal assistant. 
 
 
This had been the chance he asked for wasn't it?
 
 
A humorless smile lifted the corners of Hae's lips as he thought of his next course of actions. 
 
 
This time, he would make sure everything was on his terms. 
 
 
Hyukjae was guilty throughout it all. That was why he came back and sought peace now wasn't it? 
 
 
And now, this guilt was definitely something Hae could make use of. 
 
 
Hae got up from the bed and picked his clothes. Choosing a red skinny jeans and white top along with a chic blazer jacket. He shaved again and fixed his hair a little. 
 
 
Finally satisfied with his appearance, he prepared his way to his next destination. 
 
 
Well, guess revenge had never been sweeter. 
 
 
The thought strengthen him as he took one last look at the full length mirror and smirked darkly. 
 
 
My Hyukjae, here I come. 
 
 
---
 
 
Hae was surprised to find the door of the hotel suite ajar. 
 
 
Before he could knock he heard the familiar voice of Siwon and quickly entered the room. 
 
 
'Wonnie?' Hae called out. Finding Siwon confronting Hyukjae and his damn manager. 
 
 
Hyuk quickly got to his feet and began approaching Hae but was soon blocked by Siwon, both furrowing their brows at each other. 
 
 
Sensing the sudden thick tension in the room both Min and Hae moved simultaneously to them. Hae shooting a quick glare to Min as he tugged gently on Siwon's arm. 
 
 
'Wonnie, why are you here?' Hae looked up at his lover then. 
 
 
Hyuk almost pushed Siwon away when the latter immediately turned to Hae and hugged him tight if not for Min's pull on his arm. 
 
 
'Don't make him hate you more by behaving like a barbarian.' Min muttered lowly. 
 
 
'You shouldn't be here.' Siwon rubbed Hae's back. 
 
 
Hyuk clenched his fists as he forced himself to watch the exchange between the pair. 
 
 
Hae pushed himself slightly away from Siwon and laughed lightly, 'I'm just here to revisit an old friend Wonnie. What's with that face!' 
 
 
Before Siwon could form a reply, Hae turned his head and met Hyuk's gaze which softened immediately. 
 
 
'Hi Hyukkie,' Hae smiled. 
 
 
Hyuk stood rooted to the ground. 
 
 
Hyukkie...?
 
 
Min frowned. The contrast was too great too drastic as compared to the Donghae they saw crying and shouting in the rain days ago. Something was wrong here. 
 
 
'Hae...' Siwon breathed as he watched the various expressions that flashed past Hyuk's features uneasily. 
 
 
But Hae turned back to Siwon and held his hand, 'We'll talk later baby? There are some things I need to discuss with them.' 
 
 
'What is it? If it's about you being his assistant then there's no way I'll consent to it.'
 
 
'Wonnie...' The boy whined and Siwon's resolve died a little, 'Let's talk later Wonnie. At night?' 
 
 
Hae reached up and pecked his cheek, fully aware of the other two pairs of eyes on him. Especially one, that seemed to be shooting daggers at them. 
 
 
'Fine. I'll wait outside. But Hae,' Siwon cupped Hae's face fiercely and leaned close to him, 'I'm not promising you anything. You still belong to me. And i don't mean just as my assistant, got that?' 
 
 
A surprisingly strong hand tugged Siwon's away from Hae. 
 
 
'Aren't you heading outside?' Hyuk said with tightly controlled anger.  His tempers flaring hot and fast now. 
 
 
Siwon jerked his arm away from Hyuk's hold and narrowed his eyes, 'I'll be listening. Don't you dare hurt Hae again.'
 
 
Hyuk's heart constricted tightly at those words as his arms went limp. It reminded him of what happened 8 years ago...
 
 
'Wonnie... What're you talking about?' Hae grabbed Siwon's arm with both hand and half dragged him to the door, 'Just give me a few minutes baby?' 
 
 
After one last warning glance at Hyuk, Siwon headed out of the room. Making good his promise. 'I'll only give you 5.' 
 
 
Hae smiled and rushed back into the hotel suite. 
 
 
And Siwon almost slumped onto the ground outside. 
 
 
Nothing had started yet he felt as if he had lost the battle. 
 
 
As if he had lost his... 
 
 
Hae. 
 
---
 
 
A/N:
Some flashbacks will be appearing in chapters to come. What took place 8 years ago have been written. I just need appropriate scenes to slot them in. 
 
---
 
By the way I joined a writing contest so... Shameless advertisement here: Beautiful Chokehold