Thirteen

Shadow of You

 

"And I just want to run away...

Just want to run away..."

 

 

Hyukjae’s POV

- New York -

 

Dance Competition
First Prize:

$10,000 cash
and a chance to be the next big star

 


This was my chance. This was what i came here for.



Fresh determination took over my depressive state of mind ever since I came New York and I walked into the entertainment agency to pick up an application form.



Nothing beats the cold hard cash right now. Bills were piling up and there were those medical fees to be paid for my mum’s meds.



‘It’s not going to be easy...' A voice sounded to my left and I turned to find a boy of my age picking up the application form.



He seemed to be talking to himself more.



'Hey, are you taking part too?' I asked, suddenly feeling slight joy when I realised he spoke in Korean.



The boy snapped his gaze up and flicked his gaze up and down at me, as if accessing something 'Yeah I had wanted to. You too?'



I nodded, 'Not easy you say? Why?'



The boy looked at the application form again and sighed.



'You know the prestigious dance academy across the street? The director's son is taking part too.' The boy took one last glance at the application form before placing it back at the desk. Without another word, he turned to leave.



'Wait!' The boy halted and I quickly took the form and ran to him.



I shoved the form at his chest, 'Take it! It's not wrong to dream!'



'Dreams are not for people like us.' He took hold of the form though.



'But we can always try.' I smiled for the first time. Feeling the need to instil some hope to the boy.



He reminded me of Hae suddenly. Always thinking that his dreams were always out of reach just because of his background.



'Don’t feel inferior. I top my dance club back in school. We can do this together. I mean, if you don’t mind.'



He merely shot a weird look at me, 'You? Dance club? You are just skin and bones.'



'And you are not that tall enough to pull off as a dancer but who cares. Come on. We can try together.'



He didn’t answer but he took a long thoughtful look at the form he held.



'I'm Lee Hyukjae! Think about this, this might not be just a simple coincidence; maybe we can do it together, maybe… we are meant to succeed in this. What are the odds? Us both, Koreans? Come on!' I extended a hand to him. This had to work. I had to go back to Hae. I have to succeed.



He studied me quietly beneath his lashes then at my hand.



With a sigh and a slight shook of his head he put his hand in mine.



'Persistent aren't you?' He smiled then, 'I'm Lee Sungmin.'



---

 

Donghae’s POV

- Seoul -


'Hae.'



'Hmm?' I stopped in my tracks as I heard Siwon.



I turned around and met his strange gaze.

 

Tilting my head I asked the question that I had been asking for days, but without a satisfactory answer, 'Is something wrong Wonnie?'



He swallowed visibly and shifted his feet awkwardly, seemingly nervous while I drew near to him.



I put my hands on both his arms, 'What's wrong? You are acting strange.'



He looked away briefly before grabbing my wrist.



'I think we should best bring this conversation to your room.'



I let him lead me up the stairs and into my room.



Once inside I moved to sit on the bed and motioned for him to join me.



The usual Siwon i knew would simply just prop down on the bed even without me asking. But these few days he was just different. Like now, even after motioning him to sit beside me he was still hesitating.



I continued to study him with a slight frown and was about to speak again when he moved forward and sat on the edge of the bed.



He grabbed one of my hands and stared deeply at me.



I froze.

 

My heart seemed to stop beating as I realize he was looking at me the same way as Hyukjae used to.

 

This… This couldn’t be good, could it be?



'Hae... I have to ask you something.'



I quickly darted my glance away. Looking into Siwon's intense stare right now reminded me too much of Hyukjae. My heart started to ache again at the memory.



'What is it?' I whispered. Subconsciously I looked at my wrist, eyeing the bracelet. Feeling as if Hyukjae was with me.

 

Several silent moments passed by before he spoke softly again.



'Is there anything I should know about you and Hyukjae?'



'What?' I whipped my gaze up to face Siwon.



'What do you mean?' I held his gaze nervously, feeling my heart rate increased at the mention of Hyukjae's name so abruptly.



'That night... when you were drunk… Y-you kept calling for h-him... In a very... Intimate... Manner.' Siwon stated hesitantly.



.



I began to panic. What did I say?



'Hae...'



I looked into Siwon's gentle eyes.



Like Hyukjae, his care and concern for me had never been any lesser. There was really no reason why I should hide anything from him.



After all, all I had left was him now.



He deserved to know.



I stared down at the grip he had over my hand, looking at the bracelet and recalling everything with a pang of heart ache.



'We slept together Wonnie.'



I heard a sharp intake of breath before he spoke again, 'What exactly do you mean.'



'We...' Make love?

 

No. That wasn't lovemaking.



'We just ed.' I said crudely. Might as well spill the whole truth out to him.



If he found me disgusting then so be it. At least I told him the truth. And if by admitting this would change our relationship it wouldn't matter much anyway. That would just be one more heartache to add on to my existing pain.



This ache and pain inside made me alive. It was what kept me going.



I didn't realize I was shaking until I found myself in Siwon's warm embrace. His hands slowly my back soothingly.



'Please don't cry. You know I always am at a loss whenever you cry.'



'A-aren't you d-disgusted with me?' I breathed shakily. Fearing his answer the moment I asked.



He pressed me closer into his chest, his breath fanning over the side of my face, 'Never. I am glad you told me Hae. Let… Let me help you get pass this. We can do it together.'



I pushed myself away from him and stared at him, badly wanting to believe him that I would be able to get pass this.



I clutched the area over my heart and pounded on it, feeling tears rolled down my face, 'It hurts here Wonnie... It h-h-hurts so bad. H-help me...'



He pulled me into his arms again and pressed a kiss over the side of my head.



'Yes Hae. I swear. I will help you. I will do anything for you. Trust me.' He whispered fiercely .



---

 

A/N:

Sorry if I happen to be a bit slow in updating. I was wondering if this was too draggy and if i should just fast forward. Like the"XXX Years Later" .

OK sounds bad. /pouts

(and sorry I like SIHae but don't worry. I LOVE EunHae! Nothing beats the EunHae loveeeeee~)