Twenty Five

Shadow of You

 

 
 
'Why are you here?' Kyu grabbed Hyuk's shirt collar. 
 
 
Hyuk shot a quick dry look at the offending hand on his shirt collar. 
 
 
'I used to live here.' Hyuk directed his cold gaze up again to meet with Kyu's before jerking himself away and strolled into the house. 
 
 
If Hyuk was surprised, he didn't show it at all. For the house looked nothing like the way he remembered it. 
 
 
He was actually more angry than surprised. 
 
 
He couldn't picture Hae and him in the house all those years ago now. 
 
 
It was almost like those past memories in the house had been wiped clean. 
 
 
'You have no right to come in here.' Kyu exclaimed behind him. 
 
 
'Kyu.' Hyuk heard the voice just then, slightly different from before but he knew it was Siwon well enough. 
 
 
He turned around and faced the taller man. 
 
 
Siwon seemed so different from before, even with his work clothes on, his well built body wasn't totally hidden. And with that realization came a fierce fresh stab of jealously as well. 
 
 
'Hyuk, it's been a long time.' 
 
 
'Yes it is.' Hyuk acknowledged his friend. One of his closest friend ever since he started to even develop memories. Yet here they stood, as if strangers. 
 
 
Just then, a small breathless voice broke the thick silence. 
 
 
'I've got everything up the car Kyuhyun. Now, can we talk?' Sungmin was back in the house again. After the brat had so determinedly ordered Min to bring his large luggage to the car, along with his large box of computer-ing stuffs. 
 
 
Hyuk decided to move to the couch and settled on it, knowing it would likely be a long talk. 
 
 
Siwon stood at the side accessing the celebrity as Kyu and Min seemed to be engaged in another silent battle. 
 
 
'I'll start.' Kyu began. 
 
 
'You,' Kyu pointed a finger at Min, 'Will move into the dorms with us. Manage our schedules and see to our needs.' 
 
 
'Yes, I expected that too.' Min resisted the urge to roll his eyes. 
 
 
'I guess I'll have to move in as well then.' Hyuk said. 
 
 
Kyu whipped his gaze to Hyuk, 'You wouldn't want to Hyukjae. Aren't you a cleanliness freak? Our dorm is small and messy and it even stinks, trust me, you couldn't last a day there.' 
 
 
'We'll see about that.' 
 
 
'There are not enough rooms too. Sungmin has to sleep in the living room. And maybe, you too? Can you do that?' Kyu sniggered. 
 
 
'I'm sure we can work something out. Don't forget my personal assistant as well. I'll be needing him by my side 24/7.' Hyuk retorted easily and was actually smiling. 
 
 
Kyu stared at Hyuk for a while. 
 
 
'What personal assistant?'
 
 
'Kyuhyun you agreed the day before.' Min spoke up. 
 
 
'Who is that?' 
 
 
Min pulled out a paper from his jeans pocket. 
 
 
'Here. This is the agreement. As discussed, I will manage the 4 of you and do all that you guys asked. In return, Hyuk has to get his personal assistant of his choice or else the contract is void and the collaboration is cancelled and the director would come breathing fire at your asses and yet the collaboration would still proceed ahead, but with our terms this time. So, don't take our kindness for granted.'
 
 
'Damn it! You prepared a ing agreement?!' Kyu snatched the contract from Min's hands and read it. Siwon came to Kyu's side as well. 
 
 
'Who is this personal assistant?' Siwon asked. Suspicions lacing his tone. 
 
 
Min met the man's gaze firmly, 'As mentioned. It had to be someone who knows Hyuk's needs. Someone who knows Hyuk inside out.'
 
 
'Who.' Both Siwon and Kyu suddenly choked. 
 
 
It couldn't be... They wouldn't dare
 
 
He wouldn't be this cruel. 
 
 
'My Donghae. Who else?' Hyuk pulled himself to his feet. 
 
 
Kyu lost it. 
 
 
A punch flew straight at the dancer. 
 
 
---
 
 
'Kyu?' Hae was shocked when he returned home to find Kyu alone in the living room. 
 
 
He shrugged off his heavy backpack and left it on the floor before walking to where his friend was. Near the curtains as if in deep thoughts. 
 
 
Hae tugged lightly on his hand, 'What happened? Aren't you moving out today?'
 
 
'I changed my mind.' 
 
 
'Why?' Hae's eyes went wide. 
 
 
'I don't want to sing anymore.' Kyu was still facing away, looking out at the streets. 
 
 
Hae's jaw dropped, 'S-stop si-singing?? Are you kiddding me? H-how could that be?' 
 
 
Kyu smiled sadly. 
 
 
'Kyu! Look at me!' Hae begged. 
 
 
The singer turned around slowly and cupped Hae's face. The latter looking flustered and worried. 
 
 
'Please... What happened? Tell me please?' Hae pleaded softly, his hand moved up to rub Kyu's. 
 
 
'Nothing.' 
 
 
Hae looked away briefly and blinked. What could make Kyu stopped singing? That's what he loved, his dream, his life. 
 
 
A sudden thought hit him hard. 
 
 
'Is it because of Hyuk?' 
 
 
Caught by surprise at that Kyu stammered slightly, 'W-w-what?' 
 
 
Ah, so he guessed it right. 
 
 
'Because you knew he's back now. You wanted to look after me? Like before? Like those years ago? When you flunked your papers because you and Wonnie were busy patching me up?' 
 
 
Kyu was dumbfounded, 'No no no. It's not like th--' 
 
 
'Ah damn it. Stop treating me like a baby. I'm already ing over that guy!' Hae snapped and ran up the stairs. 
 
 
'Hae!' 
 
 
---
 
 
Hae was about to leave the house after a change of clothes. 
 
 
He wanted to head to the office to ask Siwon if he knew what the hell happened with Kyu. 
 
 
What exactly was the trigger to this?
 
 
As he bended down to retrieve his backpack which was left carelessly on the floor earlier on, his eyes caught sight of a crumpled piece of paper under the couch and he went to grab it. 
 
 
Hae studied the contents. 
 
 
It was an agreement. 
 
 
And it actually involved...
 
 
Him.
 
 
Seemed like Hae had found the trigger. 
 
 
---
 
 
Kyu was at the agency. s kept bombaring him with questions on why he wanted to leave the band when the company's director, together with Hyuk and Sungmin walked in. 
 
 
'I quit.' Kyu said. 
 
 
'What is it this time Kyu? You didn't want to stay in the dorms with the members, I let you. You didn't want to do a tour that lasted more than a year, I gave in as well. Don't go overboard this time. I can't give in to your wishes all the time.' The director lectured. 
 
 
'I'll make it very clear then. It's either them,' Kyu stood and pointed at Hyuk and Min, 'Or me. You decide.' 
 
 
The door flung opened just then, 'Kyu, no, don't quit! There's no need to decide!' 
 
 
Kyu eyes went round as he saw it was Hae who rushed into the meeting room. 
 
 
Hyuk was just standing a couple of feet away from the door. 
 
 
Away from Hae. 
 
 
And Kyu saw Hyuk's eyes devoured the very sight of Hae before him and clenched his fists. His protective instincts taking over. 
 
 
'This,' Hae held up a crumpled piece of paper, 'I agree.' 
 
 
Before Kyu could recognize what that paper was, Hyuk had already strode forward to pull Hae into his arms and kissed the top of Hae's head again and again, making the younger suddenly froze in Hyuk's arms. 
 
 
Witnessing Hyuk's audacity,  Kyu  made good use of his already tightly clenched fist for the second time that day. 
 
 
---