63. JONGIN- 20. Playing with a pet

The One That (EXO Scenario Collection)

I promise this will be the last pet story! <3

...

(...or will it? kekeke)

-

You were at the thieves’ hideout for a little more than a week now. You know you had a deal with them that after a week you would leave, but after seeing your face in TV, it was decided it would be best for you just to wait a bit more for the hype to die out. You weren’t quite ready to become a star, and you definitely weren’t ready for the interrogation by the police, them demanding you to tell them where you were and if you have any idea about the whereabouts of one Kai and Lay from the biggest criminal organizations working in your country.

And so your mornings were spent like this- with you slowly waking up, stretching on the bed that smelled so enticingly after its owner and just lingering. Tiptoeing on the edges of slumber and being awake, you slipped in and out of sleep, just listening to the bustling morning in the streets.

Today was slightly different, as not only the streets were noisy, the apartment seemed to be full of commotion as well. There were no distressed noises however, so it didn’t force you to get up and investigate. Yixing and Jongin had some of their colleagues (can you call them that?) visit every now and then, and so you didn’t want to barge in on their planning.

Your door was always slightly ajar. You weren’t quite sure why, but it made you feel a little better. Yixing wakes up first in this strange household, and every time he passed by your temporary room, he sticks his head in, making sure everything is alright. If you are awake, he asks you what you wanted for breakfast, or makes a goofy face as he passes on into the bathroom.

Jongin…you haven’t seen Jongin do that as much as his older accomplice. You caught him only twice peering into the room, before he scrambled away with dusky cheeks, but at times if you were still just in the process of waking, but not quite progressed enough to open your eyes, you heard the door open slightly. There was a different aura from the two men, so even if you didn’t quite know how to explain it, you always knew when it was Jongin and when Yixing who checked on you.

Stretching, you rolled over to face the door. Like always, slightly opened, letting the sounds from the living room flow to you. Yixing must’ve already been up, the coffee maker was bubbling away happily, and you smelled a slight scent of breakfast coming from the kitchen. There was soft noises coming from the TV, which meant Jongin on the couch was also awake.

Maybe you should wake up, too. You’re going to miss warm breakfast, and Yixing was always a good cook. But the bed was so comfortable…and the day so cold…you weren’t quite okay with parting just yet. Jongin did have a big bed. And also a TV. Could there be a new tradition just having breakfast here? It would be much easier than to move all the way to the living room…

The little pitter-patter you heard just now…was it just in your head?

Your eyes shot open when you heard scratches on the door. Those were definitely not imaginary. And you had just enough time to look, when you saw three dogs jump on the bed and tackle you enthusiastically. You could only squeal as the dogs at your cheeks in excitement, tails wagging and yips of happiness unable to stop coming from their mouths.

Well, if this wasn’t the greatest wake-up call, you had no idea what.

They were too excited- there was no way you could contain them on your own, but to be completely honest, you didn’t want to. You were just reaching out, patting whichever head was closest to your hand, or rubbing down their back, making their tails waggle with happiness.

“___!” There was a different set of footsteps rushing to your room- and Jongin burst through your door, hair ruffled from sleep, white loose shirt slipping off his shoulder. The sleepy expression Jongin usually sported for at least an hour after he woke up was exchanged for a shocked and worried one.

There were many thoughts running through his head- what if you were afraid of dogs? It was completely plausible to presume that you might’ve had a bad experience with them. You were so tiny, it wouldn’t be hard for a bigger breed to push you over or even bite you.

Or what if it was something else? What if you were allergic to them? Making you sneeze, making your skin redden, making your throat close up? And now they even jumped on his bed. Which meant you’d have to sleep in Yixing hyung’s room. That thought had him frowning- he didn’t want you to sleep there. Especially not after finding out how hyung felt…

But as he barged into your room, the scene in front of him made his heart flutter.

You, on his bed, playing with his dogs. The fact that you were wearing Yixing’s shirt as pajamas did shatter the feeling a bit, but seeing you so happy made him want to jump in next to you. Maybe you’d spare some kisses for him as well.

“Oh!” you finally noticed his presence as well. Looking up at him, you tried to calm one of the yipping bundles of happiness, so he wouldn’t keep bumping into your jaw for attention.

“Jongin! Good morning!” you called out, smiling.

“Morning, noona…”

“Where did these little treasures come from?” the third, most neglected puppy got special treatment as you picked him up in your arms and pressed kisses on his head. His mood immediately shot up, and he moved over to at your cheeks.

“M-my sister was taking care of them when we were on the job…but she couldn’t walk them anymore, so she brought them back here…” Jongin scratched the back of his neck sheepishly, looking on the ground.

“Sorry, they always find me in bed on days off, so they thought…”

“Are you seriously apologizing for waking me up with three hyperactive dogs?” you asked him, making Jongin chuckle.

“So you have no problems with them staying here?”

“Problems?! You will have a problem with them staying here, because I won’t leave now!” you told him, laughing as the white puppy started chasing your hand, biting into it playfully. You joined in on his little game, your hand darting here and there on the sheet, grabbing the attention of the other two pups.

The young thief shook his head, and the glance he spared for you couldn’t be described in any other way as endearing.

“You’re saying that like I would mind…” he murmured under his breath.

“Exactly.” Whispered a voice next to him, and Jongin looked up at Yixing. His little smile as he watched you play with the dogs had Jongin frowning.

Back off, hyung. Mine.

“____, would you like breakfast? I just finished waffles.” Yixing spoke up louder, and you turned to look at your old best friend with a smile.

“Yeah, but could we have breakfast…here?” you asked, your hand waving across the mattress subtly.

You were awaiting that reaction, wide eyes from both of the males watching you.

“I-I mean, the bed is big enough…and there’s a TV here, too…I’m sure all of us could fit, and watch SpongeBob from here…” you started explaining yourself, hand petting the curly head of one of the puppies for comfort.

“It’s too cold to get up yet, and it’s too ugly outside to be doing anything today.”

Yixing smiled, shaking his head.

“I don’t mind, if Jongin is okay with having crumbs in bed.” He said, and the younger male just shook his head after a dazed pause. How would he notice the crumbs if he’d be in bed with you?

Okay, hyung would be there, too, no matter.

“That sounds a good idea, noona…hyung, do you need help with anything?” Yixing shook his head, patting Jongin’s shoulder.

“No worries, Jongin-ah. Go on, and get cozy with ___.” That bastard knew that it would cause a blush erupt on his face, but it was a relief when Jongin saw the slight pink dust over your cheeks. Not waiting for anything else, Yixing disappeared into the kitchen, leaving the two of you alone. There was a pause, both of you silent and unsure what to say.

The puppy in your lap decided to speak for both of you, yipping and looking up at you in confusion. It made you chuckle, gather it up in your arms before holding it out to Jongin.

“It looks like they miss their Papa.” You told him with a grin and Jongin laughed, moving over to the bed to slump over the mattress face-first. Within seconds, the three excited peanuts were running over Jongin’s back, pressing into his side with their noses with annoyed sounds, until Jongin rolled over on his side to greet his three pups with open arms.

Watching him interact with the dogs, you couldn’t help but smiling, guiding a stray strand of hair behind your ear shyly. The ugly weather outside didn’t matter anymore. The cold in the room was left ignored.

Because you could get used to morning like these, with the young thief and you playing with his three pups in bed while waiting for the older one to come join you.

And you were sure a day spent between the two troublemakers is a day well spent.