engagement talk

The betrayals

 

It’s the morning that Siwon wakes up early to catch the first plane. He gets on and leaves for Seoul while the rest of the family stayed behind.

The family wakes up to eat breakfast together; everyone comes in Mr. & Mrs. Choi suite with Sulli coming in last.

“Where’s Siwon oppa?” she asks them.

“He left early this morning because he had a business meeting” Minho answered.

“Oh, so he left before this could be over. How come I’m the only one who didn’t know he left either?”

“It was sudden Sull” Mom tells her.

They finished eating and went on to more activities but this time Sooyoung had fun with the family.

Their short vacation break was over and they flew back home.

 

It’s been almost a week and everything was back to normal. Siwon was back to his hard-working self working out investments for this big new project at their company, and dad this time was healthy so he started working again to provide guidance to Siwon and his expertise was making it all the better.

After he had a meeting with this new investor, things started well. Siwon met with the investor first but his dad’s approval was more needed. Both Siwon and his dad then laid out their plans for the project to this investor.

They were both invited out to dinner with this investor’s family as both parties seemed to click well. Mr. & Mrs. Choi and son met the Jung family with Mr. and Mrs. Jung, both their daughters Soo Yeon and Soo Jung present minus their son Yunho who was absent. After dinner, Mr. Jung and Mr. Choi went to talk privately.

Since more investors were needed and this was their first one, Choi’s company needed to do anything to keep their first investment, this way they could easily acquire even more investors. As they thought the deal would be made fast, it didn’t because of course with two big companies involved there were strings attached.

One day, both parents asked Siwon to sit down for a talk. He didn’t think of it as anything serious since they’ve had many talks and sit downs before.

“How would you feel if we set you up with someone?”

“Setting me up, for what?” He asks.

“Mom dad, with all due respect, I can easily get a girl on my own. No need” he insisted realizing what they meant.

“We know you can,that’s not what we mean. We mean setting you up for something serious”

“Serious?”

“Yeah. I mean you’re getting older and working so hard. How nice would it be to have someone by your side, like a fiancée?” Mom says.

“Fiancée?” 

Siwon didn’t know what to think, he was confused.

“F-Fiancée ?”

“Stop repeating every word we say and listen to us” Mom says “We need you to consider it”.

“But-t I’m not ready to get married”.

“Doesn’t matter. It’s not a marriage yet, it would just be an engagement” Dad tells him.

“So…who is it you’re setting me up with?” he asks them extremely worried.

“No worries, it’s a great family. You know them already!” Mom exclaimed.

“Really, who?”

“Jung, one of the Jung sisters.” Mom looked inexplicably happy to tell him the news.

“Why, why so sudden? And with a new investor’s daughter too?” he asks.

“It’s not so sudden honey if you look at it. I mean, investors like that from big companies always want to marry their children off to a good and wealthy family. This is just the perfect opportunity for both of us” Mom elaborate.

“I didn’t wanna tell you this but why do you think the investment is coming slow? Dad asks.

“I know it’s coming slow but isn’t that only because they wanna make sure they can trust us and our plans?”

Dad stands up” I see you still have a lot to learn. Big investors like that don’t just make quick simple deals; they always want a guarantee to fall back on. That’s where you learn how to catch and keep them with what you’ve got in your possession”.

“So am I the only way to keep them? By promising myself in marriage to someone I barely know?”.He thinks and speaks again”I don’t think I can do that.”

“Don’t be silly. Do you want us to lose money and finances due to a petty silly reason like you not being ready?” dad scold him.

“But father I’m neither a possession nor a bait for anyone to catch a prize. How do you expect me to agree to this…no-no, how can you even ask me to do that?

“Siwon, I don’t think we brought this up for you to argue with us. Listen to me while I’m still being reasonable” dad yells.

“Father, aren’t you asking way too much of me this time?” he argues back.

“Did you even stop to consider it? Think about it first before you answer…Anyway, I’ve spoken. It’s not like you have a choice. This investment better not fail and go down the drain because of your stubbornness”. Then dad turned around and left the room.

“Honey, please think about it. It’s really not that bad, they’re a good family and she’s pretty. What do you got to lose?” Mom asks touching his face in an effort to comfort and calm him down.

“It’s a really hard thing to ask me mom. Is my hard work not good enough for dad?”

“Look at me honey. You work hard and he appreciates it but sometimes just hard work isn’t enough. Please consider it and if it’s turning out too much for you, I will put a stop to it...Please!”

He paused and thought for a bit “I’ll consider it this time for you but please don’t ask more of me for this company”.

“Mianhe, your dad really worked hard for this company himself in the past and sometimes he had to strategize to make it work for the company. I hope he won’t ask more, I really appreciate you son and more than anyone else I don’t wanna see you in an uncomfortable position. So I promise this will be the last time” Mrs. Choi deep inside was kinda worried things wouldn’t turn out well and her husband would require more from their son.

She held his hands ”So tell me,weren’t you out on a date with a girl not long ago?”

“Yeah, but it wasn’t forced. I had some interest in her”.

“Uhm, not saying it was. Are you still in contact with her?

“Don’t worry mom, I’m not”.

“Well okay. Just think of this engagement the same way and it will all be okay honey” she then hugs and kiss him, leaving him alone with his own thoughts.

 

Siwon tells his father he will accept his request.

“I will do it and be engaged to her”

“Wise decision. It wouldn’t be hard anyway since not long ago you were snuggling with some girl”.

“Please, let’s not bring that up, father” Siwon asks him.

“I’m sorry,continue your hard work. You may leave now, thanks.”