barbecue 1

The betrayals

 

                                                                                   

                                                                                                                               

                                                                           

“Sooyoung wake up” mom comes into the room.

No answer.

“Sooyoung,wake up” mom takes a pillow and throw it at her.

“mom please let me sleep peacefully!” she pulls the cover up to her head.

Mom pulls it back down “Sooyoungie,I need your help downstairs”.

“Ahhh” sooyoung imitated a scream “mom why do you always need my help?” she pulls the covers back again.

“We’re having a barbecue today,I even invited Tiffany to come over”.

“Barbecue…can you let me sleep a little bit more?” Sooyoung asks still half unconscious.

“Okay but you have to come down soon” mom walked out.

 

After a little while,Sooyoung comes down to the kitchen to help mom.

“Mom, it’s the week-end and you can barely let me sleep”.

“Don’t you think it’s a bit late for you to still be in bed, you’ve slept enough”.

“What do you even need my help with? You didn’t even cook these!” she says pointing to the side dishes on the counter, which a hired chef had prepared just for the barbecue.

“I did some of them with the chef’s help. At least I don’t need his help barbecuing because you’re here”.

“Ayye,omma” she gives up arguing and resisting.

“Where’s Tiffany? Did she come yet?” Sooyoung switching the subject.

“Yes honey. She’s outside talking to Siwon”

“So you even made oppa skip work for this?”

“It’s the week-end Sooyoung. Your brother was fine with it, why aren’t you? Besides whom would I be having a barbecue for, the dogs?” mom said sarcastically.

At this moment the doorbell rang and Sooyoung goes to get it.

She opens the door and there was a blonde girl standing in front of her smiling.

 

Jessica’s smile was wiped off her face once she sees the tall brunette looking at her with a serious, unhappy face.

“Hey Sooyoung!”

“Hello Sooyeon, what are you doing here?” with a questioning look and a raised eyebrow.

“Well, aren’t you gonna let me in first?” Jessica feels insulted by the way the tall girl is treating her.

“Your mom invited me” She says again when Sooyoung wasn’t moving.

Sooyoung then realized she was being rude questioning the girl at the door,not letting her in.

“S-sorry, get in” she widened the door to let Jessica in.

Jessica walks in but stops for a quick moment right in front of her, looking straight in her eyes with a cold stare.

“Thanks Sooyoung” disappearing inside, leaving Sooyoung at the door.

Needless to say, Jessica’s stare sent shivers down Sooyoung’s back who admittedly found the girl a bit scary for the first time thinking “What’s with this girl?”. She closed the door and got back in.

“Good morning Mrs. Choi!” Jessica comes in.

“Hello Sooyeon, it’s good to see you. Welcome back!” Mrs. Choi hugged the girl.

"Thanks Mrs. Choi".

 

After Jessica left in the backyard, Sooyoung approached her mom.

“Mom, why did you invite her?” the girl asks almost upset.

“I invited her because I thought it would be good if we all got to know her better and spend more time with her”.

“What’s there to know about?” Sooyoung asks bitterly, in an obvious mean tone.

“Well for one she’s marrying your brother, to me that’s reason enough”.

Mom leans back on the counter facing Sooyoung after getting a hint of suspicion.

“Do you not like her Sooyoung?”

“W-what?” Sooyoung laughs awkwardly “You think I don’t like her?”

“Be my guest” mom now crossed her arms interrogating the girl, looking serious.

“No mom. Why would I dislike her? I’m only asking because like you said she’s marrying my brother and coming into our family. Don’t I have a right to ask?” Sooyoung lied through her teeth.

Mom squints her eyes looking at her daughter “Then why does it feel like you’re lying?”

“I’m not lying mom” Sooyoung looked down,still awkward and obviously lying.

“Alright then, help me carry these outside” mom pointed to the food.

They go outside bringing the food, almost everything they needed was prepared and all there was left to do was grilling the barbecue itself. Sooyoung was good at grilling, she had learned from her dad; so did Siwon.

“Mom why did you even need me when Siwon oppa can do the grilling?”

“I never told you this but I like your barbecue a bit more than Siwon’s and your dad’s” mom tried to flatter Sooyoung.

“You think so. In that case let me start…” The girl realized mom just used flattery to get her to agree willingly "ah,she got me again".

 

 

 

Siwon and Jessica were sitting on pool lounge chairs talking and laughing, with Tiffany sitting on the opposite side burning inside at the sight of the two. She was thinking “If I knew she would come, I wouldn’t have. God I hate her already”.

Meanwhile Sulli was in the pool swimming so Tiffany decided to join her while still keeping an eye on Siwon and Jessica.

“Hey unnie, you wanna swim with me?” Sulli aks the girl who is distracted looking at something else.

Sulli saw what she was looking at, but pulled her to get her attention “forget them, let’s go swimming”.

Sulli swam like a beast that Tiffany couldn’t keep up with, so the latter decided to get out of the water.

“Are you leaving unnie?”

“Yes Sulli, I can’t keep up with you, only a dog can. I’m tired” she was gasping for air.

“You can always come back unnie. I’ll give you a run for your money” Sulli laughs after tiring the girl out on purpose to get her to forget about the two people.

“I’m not coming back Sulli, forget it”.

“It’s just a little competition unnie, you can take it” she says smirking.

Tiffany didn’t get it, “Competition?”

“Yeah unnie. How would you know if you don’t go after it?” looking in Siwon’s and Jessica’s direction with a smirk on her face.

Tiffany followed her eyes “Aishh, I thought you were being serious.”

“I am serious unnie, go for it.”

“What, you want me to be a home wrecker?” Tiffany replied playfully.

Sulli laughs then become serious “No unnie, she’s only a fiancée not a wife. Are you scared of a little competition?” she’s egging the girl on.

“And I thought Sooyoung was crazy!” Tiffany is looking at Sulli puzzled.

“I’m just being real unnie. After all there is room for one more.” She says looking vaguely at her nails.

“What?”

“I take that back, there is only room for one at the end. Who will it be?” She looks at Tiffany straight in the eyes.

“W-what? crazy,I’m staying away from you” Tiffany gets out of the pool completely and left.

Sulli watched her leave with a smile on her face ‘Well, I only get to be evil once in a while’ and ‘I hope she doesn’t take my words too seriously’ and ‘OMG, what if she does, then cause trouble and blames me?’ and finally ‘No she won’t. Anyway it will be entertaining watching this triangle, ha ha ha. I’m an evil mastermind’. She goes back swimming, shrugging her shoulders if anything were to go wrong because of her advice.

 

Sooyoung was done grilling and barbecuing, because of the unwanted visitor she just didn’t feel like enjoying this barbecue.

“Hey Tiffany!” her friend was walking towards her.

“Hey Sooyoung, did you know your sister was crazy?”

“What sister?”

She looks at Sooyoung in frustration “yah,you are both crazy!”

“Did she bother you?”

“No never mind. I’m going inside to get some drinks”.

Sooyoung jumped on her back and bit her neck laughing “Did she do this to you?”

“Ahhh, Sooyoung get off my back” smacking the girl.

Sooyoung got off rubbing her arms, whining” You can be so mean sometimes”.

"Mianhe" Tiffany pretended to pet Sooyoung's head.

They both laughed, walking inside the house while a pair of eyes followed them.

 

“Minho where are you going?” Mrs. Choi asked her son who was leaving the house.

“I’m going to pick Krystal up, is that okay?”

“I invited her but I heard she was gonna be busy”.

“She’s showing up because I asked her to come.By the way,I also invited two more people”.

“When did you two get close?" Mrs. Choi asked not waiting for an answer "Alright go”.

“Bye!”

She then saw Sooyoung with Tiffany entering the house “Sooyoung are you done with the grilling?”

“Yes omma, I’m going upstairs to change”.

“Where are the drinks?” Tiffany asks Mrs. Choi

“Over here Fany”.

“Thanks Mrs. Choi” the girl took a tray with drinks on it.

She takes the drinks and walk out again, but when she did she saw Jessica getting a bit too close to Siwon, dangerously close.

 

She was even touching his face,seems like she was taking something out of his eyes but Tiffany didn't care.She thought ‘Should I take Sulli’s words and break this up?’ while freaking out inside.

Tiffany started making her way towards the couple to get to a table not far from them and right when she got near Jessica, she suddenly trips and all the drinks fell on the girl. On her face, her body, her hair and swimsuit.

“OMG” Jessica jumped up, her whole body drenched in sugary drinks.

Siwon jumped at the same time “Are you okay?” helping her, he looks at Tiffany menacingly who was just standing there not helping.

Tiffany herself was more shocked at what she just did, but because she had to pretend it was an accident she started acting shocked and apologetic.

“Sorry, are you okay? I’m really sorry”.

Jessica looked at the girl swearing in her mind that this was on purpose ‘Did she do that on purpose? How did she even trip?’

“I’m so clumsy, I’m sorry” Tiffany says at both people looking at her.

“Do you want me to help clean you up?” she asks again.

“It’s okay Tiffany you don't have to. I’ll help her” Siwon says and left with Jessica inside the house.

Tiffany watched them leave together and was annoyed about it but she was happy knowing what she just did and felt a rush. She felt like she had balls now ‘Maybe I can really do this’.

 

 

Siwon and Jessica got inside the house; Mrs. Choi saw Jessica and asked about what happened.

“Are you okay? I don’t think this can be cleaned right now. Let’s get you changed” looking at her stained off -white swimwear.

“I'm okay,thanks Mrs. Choi”

“What should we change you into?” Mrs. Choi thought a bit.

Jessica got the solution pretty quickly.

“I can change into Sooyoung’s. She’s kinda the same size as me, right?”

“Oh that’s right” Mrs. Choi then sees Tiffany and Sulli walking in “Tiffany, would you please show her to Sooyoung’s room?”

“Are you okay Jessica?” Sulli asked.

“I’m okay Sulli thanks”.

“Hurry, let me show you to Sooyoung’s” Tiffany took Jessica by the arm and pulled the girl upstairs.

 

They get upstairs away from everyone’s sight, Tiffany pushes her arm off.

“Jessica, I knew you reminded me of someone. You’re that girl!” she says smirking.

“That girl?”

“Yeah, you’re a singer right? Why do you use the name Sooyeon when you can use Jessica?” she interrogates.

“None of your business” the other girl answered back coldly, and turned around.

Jessica then faced her again “You did that on purpose right?”

“What are you talking about?”.

“The drinks, you threw them. It wasn’t an accident, was it?”.

Tiffany smiled and approached her “What if it wasn’t?”.

Jessica took a step towards her “If it wasn’t then I would let it go this one time but I would tell you to watch your back if you ever tried something again”.

Tiffany laughed quietly and took another step herself “Well you’re kinda scary but what if I was to try something again, what would happen?”

“You’re quite daring, aren’t you?” Jessica smiled and turned away from the girl and started leaving “Just not daring enough to get him”.

She suddenly turns again and walked so close to Tiffany’s face mocking her “Yeah, I see the way you look at him… I see the way you look at both of us. It eats you up inside seeing me with him, doesn’t it?".Then in a harsh tone just to emphasize her point  "Well, I have him now, too bad for you”.

Tiffany didn’t know what to say, the girl had her right where it hurts. She almost wanted to cry at the girl’s words thinking ‘She’s so mean. How could he even think about being with her?’ but she stood strong in front of who she now considered her enemy.

“Her room is right there” Tiffany points to Sooyoung’s door, giving up on their little argument.

Jessica started walking away again but stopped “If you want anymore information on me you could look it up or I could tell you right now. I’m more surprised you didn’t know who I was at first sight, even that little girl Sulli recognized me... Maybe I need to work on my popularity”.

 She continues “I use Sooyeon my Korean name sometimes in my day to day life, it’s easier for Koreans since my real American name is Jessica, but I’m sure you've already guessed that”.

“Your name is Tiffany, are you American too?”

“Yes but shouldn’t you mind your business just like you told me to?” Tiffany replied.

“Hmm,I guess we are similar in some ways. We’re both curious” Jessica walked off and Tiffany left downstairs.