III: Surprise

The Grim Reaper

 

Raemin’s Pov:

I haven’t told anyone about the incidence that happened the day my father died. But I’m a hundred percent sure that the ghost I saw certainly had a role with the untimely death. (No matter how handsome or attractive he is.) I may not have a clue of what it may be but I feel in my inner instincts that he knows something.

A week passed since my father died. I can’t describe my devastation to that event. I didn’t know how to react. A mix of gray emotions flooded my entire being. It felt like heaven and earth weighed on my shoulders.

On the day that I found my father’s last will and message, the more I grew miserable. It seemed to me that he knew he will die soon. I felt like drowning in a sea of sadness. I would have—if Luhan and Kai weren’t by my side.

Now that I’m the only one left in the family, I can’t feel any more alone. I can sincerely testify that living on your own is a hard thing to cope with.  You wouldn’t survive if you don’t have friends—which I fortunately happen to have.

Today, I decided to go to school—the first attempt since my dad passed away. Luhan encouraged me to move on and go on with my life. He and Kai promised to take care of me in place of my dad. Kai even volunteered that both of them work part time jobs to support my school fees. As willing as they were, I declined the offer. I wouldn’t let my friends suffer because of me.

Kai and Luhan fetched me this morning and to my surprise, they were not wearing their set of school uniform.

“What’s up? Is it not a class day today?” I asked, looking at their outfits questioningly.

“Yes. It is, but we’re not going to attend classes today. We’re skipping them.” Luhan replied cheerfully, seeming giddy with a wide smile plastered on his adorable face.

“You were even the one who advised me to move on—and now you’re preventing me from going to school?” I asked, still confused. But this time, with a little sarcasm.

“Kai.” Luhan chided, as if using Kai’s name as a cue.

“Aye-aye captain!” Kai saluted.

Within a split second, I was swept from the ground to Luhan’s broad shoulders. It turns out Kai was the one responsible for lifting me up and helping Luhan to get me on his shoulders.

“Put me down you idiots!” I screamed at the top of my lungs and slapped Luhan’s back. The action didn’t even bother Luhan a bit. I failed to make him bulge or even twitch an inch.

I didn’t protest because I knew they were just up to one of their childish (and most probably ridiculous) pranks. I protested because it’s seriously uncomfortable to be mounted on a person’s shoulder.

Imagine having your tummy on the edge of someone’s shoulder…then, imagine feeling like falling off with every single movement that person does. Take note; Luhan is running really fast downhill on a stiff pavement.

“Happy Valentine’s Day, Raemin!”

We arrived at the side of a lake wherein they’ve both set up a picnic. A red and white checkered blanket was laid out on the grass. Countless variety of foods was prepared. Every single one of my favorite food was present. There was even a huge chocolate cake on the center of the overwhelming feast.

“You should have told me earlier about this. I would have been more than willing to come.” I said while taking a huge bite of the chocolate cake.

“You were so preoccupied you forgot that today’s Valentine’s Day.” Luhan said with a pout.

“Still, it wasn’t necessary to carry me off like maniacs.”

“It wouldn’t have been fun.” Kai contradicted and took his own share of the cake.

“Well, actually it wasn’t fun. Try being the one mounted on someone’s shoulder then say it’s fun afterwards.” I stuck my tongue out at Kai and in return, he stuck out his.

“I’ll be right back. I’ll just get something in the car.” Luhan said , standing up from his seat.

“What?! You brought a freaking car?” I asked, irritated.

“Yep.” He said, dangling the keys.

“You could have made use of that instead of running off here.” I said, pointing out in a matter of fact.

“ It wouldn’t have been fun.” Luhan and Kai chided together, making me chuckle.

“Kai.” Luhan said, using the tone he used just before Kai swept me up from the floor.

“Oh, come on. Don’t tell me you’re going to carry me again.” I said, rolling my eyes.

“No I am not. I am never going to do that ever again. Imagine 3 sacks of rice on your shoulder. That’s how it was.” Luhan said with a bewildered expression.

“Yah!” I protested and threw a strawberry at him. It hit him square in the eye which made him shrink in pain.

“So … that’s what you want huh?” Luhan taunted, already eyeing a piece of cake to throw at me.

“No please. Not that one.” I begged, shielding myself with my arms.

Just then, I felt a huge lump of moist and sticky chocolate cake hit my head, brushing my hair with the dark substance.

“Oh no, you did not-!” I said, wide-eyed.

“I just did.” Luhan said, shooting peanuts as Kai threw strawberries at me.

And so… It was a ten-minute food fight.

We ended up looking like a huge mess. To describe it more specifically, our clothes look like table cloths wherein 3-year-old kids dined on. Our hair was just as terrible. I bet we’re going to have a difficult time washing all the food (mostly chocolate) out of our hair.

Luhan went to get something on the car while Kai covered my eyes, saying that what Luhan was getting a surprise and I’m not allowed to peek.

After a minute or so, I heard Luhan’s footsteps. Kai uncovered my eyes to reveal a huge pig stuff toy that’s my size and a bouquet of flowers in front of me.

“Surprise!!!” Luhan and Kai cheered, throwing their hands up.

I didn’t feel any emotions on my face. In short, I wore my poker face.

‘You…didn’t like it?” Luhan said, slowly his lips are turning down to a pout.

“…”

“I guess she didn’t.” Kai shrugged.

Luhan started sobbing.

“…”

Kai rolled his eyes at Luhan’s drama.

“I’ve saved-up hard for these….” Luhan said, pretending to wipe a tear away from his eye.

“Yes… I remember Luhan skipping lunch just to buy you these things.” Kai added sympathetically.

“Oh, shut up both of you. Of course I like it. It’s just that…why a freakin’ stuffed pig? Weren’t there any teddy bears?”

“We personally chose the pig …” Luhan said.

“Yeah, because it reminds us of you.” Kai agreed with a nod.

“I’m sensing another food fight.” I said menacingly.

“Come on, it would already take me an hour to wash all of these off me.” Kai protested, contesting my prediction.

“Actually, I think we could start cleaning you up.” Luhan said with a freaky smile.

As if on cue, we both stood up and dragged Kai to the lake. With all his flailing, I’m impressed we were able to give him an unexpected swim.

Then, just as Luhan and I were about to run off, Kai grabbed my ankle making me take a dip too.

So that went on for … I don’t know. I don’t care about time anymore.

The next thing I knew is that we’re all wet and tired. The three of us lie motionless on the picnic blanket, dozing off under the beautiful mix of an orange sunset.

And when I woke up… there were 3 faces I saw. One of them was that ghost I saw a week ago in my apartment.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N:

Annyeong!!!

So this is a short chapter.

Just a little something for Valentine's day :D

I hope you enjoyed it. 

And btw, sorry for the uber cheesy fluffs XD

-faye_lee