XXII: A different side

The Grim Reaper

Raemin

I find myself feeling like an idiot for letting Sehun control me. Yet, I don’t know why I can’t find the will to actually avoid him when he’s near. He always manages to annoy the hell out of me and I let him. “Why do I let him?” The words came out of my lips in a questioning thought.

I sighed inwardly as I dragged my feet down the stairs. I descended quietly—drowned in thoughts when I noticed a figure that made me pause on my tracks. Near the bottom of the stairs, Luhan was leaning against the school lockers in the hallway. From the looks of it, he just got out of soccer practice.

He had one foot propped against the metal lockers, a duffel bag slung on his right shoulder, his hands were inside his pocket and his head hung low. He looked like a freaking demi-god. I couldn’t help but be stuck in place and gawk at his perfection.

Luhan lifted his head up. Probably he noticed my presence. His eyes caught mine and I held it for only a second. I immediately shifted my gaze away—embarassed for staring at him.

“Hey…” Luhan’s approaching voice was gentle. I couldn’t actually believe that it was him who had the guts to punch Sehun.

“Hi...” I greeted awkwardly with a bow.

“Look, I’m sorry for what happened a while ago…it’s just…I’m…just…”Luhan stammered over his words. He had a hand scratching his neck—trying to find words that would complete his sentence.

“It’s my fault too…” I smiled with a guilty shrug.

“It was not your fault.” Luhan’s eyebrows pulled together in a humble way.

I sighed for the second time. I hate it when he’s bearing the entire fault. It makes me feel guiltier than I already am.

Suddenly, a strong, warm pair of arms encircled me. Luhan’s hand shifted my face to fit the crook of his neck while his chin rested carefully on top of my head. He held me for so long that I began to observe—he’s breathing calmly but his chest is beating wildly against mine.

“Luhan, are you okay?” I placed my hand against his irregular beating heart and tried to pull away from his embrace. However, he kept me in place. He didn’t want to let go any sooner.

“I’m not. That’s why I’m hugging you.” He replied childishly and tightened the embrace.

“Does this make you feel any better?” I cuddled deeply and tapped his back in a comforting manner.

“Yes, thank you.” Luhan whispered gladly before pulling away and giving me an angelic smile. He then ruffled my hair and lightly pinched my cheeks. To my surprise, he even planted a soft kiss on the lump residing on my forehead.

As usual, he walked me home. The only difference was that Kai wasn’t with us since he headed to the dance studio earlier and the unusual solemn expression that Luhan displays whenever we’re not chatting.

We took the train as we’ve missed the bus. We both took off from the school a little late than usual.

As Luhan and I got on the jam-packed train, I recognized a face. The student who nearly squeezed me last time when I was with Sehun was coincidentally standing a person away from me.

I saw him looking at me—probably recognizing me too. I bowed lightly to acknowledge him which he returned with a smug smile. He wandered his eyes around looking at the people surrounding me. At that moment, Luhan chose to slip his arms around my waist to protect me from the incoming passengers.

The male student looked at me oddly and glanced at Luhan.

He’s probably thinking that I’m a two-timer!

My eyes rounded in panic and I shook my head at him—hoping he’d get what I was trying to say.

Instead, he turned his back at me with uncomfortable scoff. I frowned at the misunderstanding and leaned my head against Luhan’s shoulder. Little did I know, Luhan was actually observing the situation.

“Do you know that guy?”  Luhan asked, nudging his chin at the student’s direction.

“That guy bumped into me and got stared down by Sehun the last time I rode the train.” A slight chuckle slipped from my lips as I remembered how Sehun can look cool when he needed to yet acts maniacal most of the time.

I felt Luhan’s arm turn rigid around my waist. I looked up to see his lips sealed in a firm line and his eyes focused stiffly on a far point. He is clearly not happy to know that I’ve been hanging out with Sehun.

“H-he insisted to walk me home…” I tried to defend.

“But then he ended up staying inside your apartment.” Luhan stated coldly. His tone was set as if to accuse. And I didn’t like it. For a split second, I can almost see the mocking side of Luhan. For once, I felt a negative force pulling me away from him.

“I’m sorry…” He quickly apologized in realization that he just said something offensive. He pinched the bridge of his nose and shut his eyes tightly as if he’s struggling to compose himself.

I decided to stay silent. I don’t want to say that he shouldn’t be apologizing. It’s not alright to judge someone just because she let a man enter her house. Sehun’s not my friend—but he’s definitely not a stranger either. I can’t find a legit reason why Luhan should be acting overprotective.

The train doors opened on my stop. Both Luhan and I didn’t say a word after our last conversation. It disappointed me. But I think it’s better to zip my mouth, really.

I walked lightly through the doors with Luhan following behind. I was hoping he would catch up to walk by my side but he stayed just a step away from me.

As I set foot on the first step of the staircase, a sudden shot of throbbing pain dominated my head. I felt like my whole brain was curling into a tight ball. My sight started to see dancing black spots and the scene before me appeared foggy.

Due to the disruption, my feet paused from moving and my knees weakened—sending me to crumple on the cold hard ground.

“Raemin!” Luhan’s panicking voice echoed in my ears. I wanted to response but my brain was too busy hurting to process any movement at all.

“Raemin, raemin…” Luhan repeated my name in a series of worried whispers. His arms supported my frame and his hand held my face carefully to face him.

His eyes were big and scared. Tears that were kept from falling made his eyes glisten and his brows pressed together in deep concern.

I closed my eyes for a brief moment to pull myself back again. I struggled to ease the pain with every breath but managed to release pain in every exhale.

“I’m … fine.” I managed to croak.

“I’m taking you to the hospital.” Luhan stated firmly and slipped his arms under my knees and back in attempt to carry me.

“Luhan!” I protested and wriggled out of his reach.

“I’m fine. Really.” I lied as I held on for support on the railings.

“Let me go home. I’m just…tired.”  Luhan knew I was lying as his eyes were traced with doubt. He refused to believe.

I ignored him and walked on a slow pace—trying my best not to collide with the ground face on with every step I commit.

“Why are you so stubborn?!” Luhan growled and grabbed hold of my arm. I shook his grip away and shot him a warning glare. “Luhan, I’m fine. I said so. Now I’m giving you the choice. Believe what I said or just go away. ”

Luhan sighed in defeat. He shook his school jacket off and placed it around my shoulders snugly. “I hate it when you’re overstressing yourself. You don’t know how frail you are.”

“How frail am I? Why?” I raised a questioning brow at Luhan.

“Let’s get you home.” Luhan dodged the question. He looked as if he said something sinful. In a short moment, his usual expression came back and he placed an arm around to pulle me to the path heading to my apartment building.

 ~~~

“Where did I place the keys again?” My eyebrows were knitted together as I rummaged my school bag. It’s weird how I suddenly forget some things so easily.

 

 

“Are you sure it’s in your bag? Maybe you left in your locker.” Luhan suggested with a shrug. He turned the knob in an oblivious attempt and surprisingly, it was unlocked. He gave me a confused look before swinging the door open.

 

“I was sure I locked it.” I said to myself thoughtfully.

When we entered the house, we were utterly baffled to see a man’s shoes behind the door. And in half a second, a figure emerged from the kitchen.

“Oh, you’re home.” A smirking Sehun greeted nonchalantly.


                                                                                                                             A/N:

I really want to express my gratitude to the readers and subscribers.

This is my most frequently updated story because your support always give me

the will to continue this fic. :D

I apologize that I can't thank each one of you individually and that

I take so much time to update. I'll do my best for everyone.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Kamsahamnida!

                                                                                                                                     -faye_lee