I: A Favor

The Grim Reaper

 

Sigh…

Here I am again, watching with boredom—performing my everyday lame task. When will I get to have fun? Have a vacation or something not monotonous compared to my daily routine. Maybe go to the beach—like humans do every stinking summer of their measured life.

Sitting atop of a tree, I’m gazing—again—at humans walking across the street, having a cup of coffee, talking on their cellphones. Nobody would notice me here—of course, I’m invisible at the moment—swinging my legs alternately like a child.

I suppose this is what I call ‘break time’—when nobody’s life needs to be harvested, I sit somewhere high and observe from above. It’s more leisurely than trying to enjoy a cup of tea. You see, I don’t need to feed at all. Besides, it would be horrifying for a human to see a skeleton ordering a large cup of espresso macchiato.

A very familiar sound of bell rang in my ears, urging me to get up and do my job. The sound was sharp—musical and tiny—but soft. Over thousands of years, ever since the existence of humans here in Korea, I’ve heard that musical sound—now, irritating to me—echoing in my ears.

I wonder how other grim reapers managed to do this stressful job. Figuratively, only someone who is heartless could manage to bare the cruelty of ending a person’s life. Is that what I’ve become—a heartless creature?

I shook the thought out of my head and balanced on the balls of my feet. I took a step as a start and launch myself in the air. I used hanging signboards, tables, and roofs to jump from. It’s actually better than running. In running, there is a huge chance of bumping on souls and getting interrupted by their begging for me to give back life.

Really, it’s irritating when souls do that. I’m not the one who decides their fate or when will their life end. I’m just the harvester. I’m too innocent to be blamed. Well, maybe not ‘too’ innocent.

In not more than ten seconds, I’ve travelled almost 7 kilometers away from where I’ve been—to catch a soul that’s fresh from death.

The scene was not unusual. There was a car accident. Once I landed my feet on the pavement, the expected flashback of what occurred washed over me. He was crossing—carefully, looking side to side—but a car with an unjustifiable speed came up, freezing him with fear. Crash! It hit him. The driver panicked, he didn’t know what to do. So, he did what was the stupidest thing to do. He drove past his problems, leaving behind a life wasted—a life that was supposed to face a future of different colors.

In cases like this, I want to have the power to end the life of the guilty too. But that’s not possible.

Police cars surrounded the area and the medics were trying to save the man’s life. But I don’t see that to be possible. I can hear the fainting sound of the man’s heartbeat—a sign that his life is ending soon.

I waited, pacing as I examined how much damage has been done to the victim’s body. Blood is all over the place. He has some broken bones and a crack on his skull that damaged his brain. His heart is weak—almost failing. No more life support left.

I shook my head sideways, as I knew that justice doesn’t exist in this place at all. The murderer left without a word, turned into such a coward.

Finally, as the medics were placing the victim’s body on a stretcher, his soul floated. It emitted a grayish light as any other souls do.

The man was immediately aware of the situation. I can sense that he was scared and full of melancholy, seeing his lifeless body being taken away.

I approached him carefully and calmly, trying not to scare him.

“It’s time. You need to go. You have to choices two pick. To go and face your second life in heaven, hell or purgatory or to stay and wander the earth’s surface for a while?”

Somehow, I expected that he would choose the second choice. Perhaps he wanted justice over what had happened to him and revenge for the one who did this to him.

He looked at me with grief-stricken eyes.

“Are you the one who is supposed to fetch me?”

The question surprised me, usually, victims like him would refuse to answer my question and harass me to give their life back. He was different—he was calm.

I answered smoothly, but the confusion was hard to hide.

“Yes.”

The man sighed and gazed longingly at the ambulance. Then, he turned to me again.

“I would choose to go. But, could you please do me a favor before I leave?”

His words surprised me again. It’s rare for a soul to ask a favor.

I wasn’t sure what to answer, so I let my instincts guide me in my words.

“I don’t do errands. I only do what I’m supposed to do—harvest souls and make them choose.

But the man begged, insisting of doing him a favor before he leaves.

“Please, just this one time.”

I sighed, finally giving up. Who knows? This might be the fun that I’m searching for—do an errand for a soul. How lame…

“Okay, just this once. Tell me your wish.”

I placed my arms across my chest and held my forefinger on my right hand.

“Please, take care of my daughter. Send her a message of comfort and tell her that it came from me. No matter what happens, make her feel safe. Tell her I love her. Promise me that.”

Before I could respond, a light shined on him from above.

The light told me that he is a good soul—that he will come to paradise. It quickly stole him from the conversation. Within a millisecond, the soul was gone.

Only the light that’s slowly fading remained.

“I promise.”

I whispered under my breath.

His last will was quite easy for me to do. All I have to do is write a letter in place of his father. Maybe, I could watch over her in my free times so I could assure her safety.

And so, I did what I was told to do. I knew where he lived as I knew where the other souls used to live. I rushed, afraid that I will lack time as there will be another soul that needs to be reaped sooner or later.

As soon as I got into his home—a small apartment—I scanned for a pen and paper. I found one sitting on top of a small table beside the telephone. I wrote swiftly, scribbling words and sentences that would sound like a father. After I was done, I placed it in a closet’s drawer—a place that is predictable for his last will.  As I shut it closed, I heard the front door’s knob turn as keys was inserted in it.

It wasn’t a worry to me. I’m in my usual invisible mode. I haven’t tried showing my presence in front of a human. I knew it would only frighten them as it did to me whenever I saw my reflection.

I decided to step out of the man’s room and see his daughter. She was just locking up when she flicked the light’s switch and turned to my direction.

To my shock, she screamed in soprano, piercing my ears and almost breaking it. I double-checked if I was in my invisible state. Apparently, I was.

I was positive that she saw me. She’s staring straight at my eyes—or eye sockets. Whatever…

But how can she see me?

After 2 seconds or so, she finally gathered up her strength. Snatching a big folded umbrella beside the doorway, she approached with a taunt.

“Don’t move or else I would beat you to death!”

Her threat sounded like a question. It’s obvious that she lacked confidence in her words.

How comical. Beating a grim reaper to death? I wouldn’t try if I was human and I had the chance.

But how can she stay so calm when she’s facing a black-hooded skeleton?

“You’re a burglar aren’t you? Give back what you’ve stolen. Now! “

She demanded, failing to be fierce.

She suspected me to be a burglar—seriously? I glanced at the mirror beside me and saw the same reflection I see whenever I look at it.

The girl advanced foreword, placing the umbrella horizontally between me and her.

She poked me a bit hard with the end of her funny weapon.

“Show your pockets! What have you stolen?”

Again, she poked me with the stick.

“Wait, how can you see me?”

I asked, ignoring her ridiculous suspicions.

“That doesn’t even matter! What’s important is you give back all the things you’ve stolen before I call the police.”

“Just answer me! How can you see me?”

I demanded rudely for her answer, almost making her take a step backward.

“Duh. It’s because you’re a human. Unless… You’re not?”

Her expression changed. Now, she’s scared.

“Are you a ghost?”

She asked again, now taking steps away from me.

Of course, I’m not! Can’t you see? I’m a skeleton! I have a scythe in my hand, don’t you see? I wanted to say those words so badly but I’m interested on how I appear to her.

“How do you see me?”

I asked, ignoring her words again,

“I’m the one who asked first!”

She said childishly.

“Just answer okay?”

I demanded rudely again.

She trembled, afraid of my behavior.

“You look… well-dressed and good-looking—no—too handsome to be a burglar. But who knows? That doesn’t mean you’re not a burglar.”

She shrugged, but she’s still trembling and suspicious.

I’m handsome—and well-dressed? Is that a joke? I can’t picture a well-dressed and handsome skeleton. Not even once in my life.

Then it hit me. Too many questions popped up in my mind—questions that concerned what I look like. What if it is only me who sees me as a skeleton? Is it really only me? Am I human-looking to other people?

“I’m not a skeleton?”

The words slid out of my lips unconsciously. I didn’t mean to ask her but she answered.

“No.”

She answered as if that’s the silliest question she has ever heard. Then, a short moment later, she gasped.

“You’re not a burglar aren’t you? You’re a ghost! I knew it! I knew it!”

She quickly did a sign of cross and muttered prayers.

Little did she know, that’s not effective to me. Not to me—only on restless souls. But, can’t I be considered one?

I walked past her, rushing to get away—to gather knowledge and know the truth. I’m almost giddy at the fact that I’m not a mere bone structure to the human eyes at all. I was eager to ask, to witness.

But one question remained in my head as I fled across the hall—out of the apartment.

How did she see me? 

A/N:

So yeah... I updated. A christmas gift/ birthday gift to my dear friend ^_^

I hope you liked chapter 1 ! Kamsahamnida chinggus!

Thanks to the new subscribers too :D