XXIV: Hiding

The Grim Reaper

Sehun

“This is odd…extremely odd.” Suho’s gaze was stuck on the floor—his face was crumpled in a mix of a very anxious and frustrated manner. He was sprawled on the floor with his head in between his palms and his knees close to his chest.

“Hyung, we need to take her to the hospital!” I bellowed at him while I wrapped Raemin in her warm blankets and lifted her in my arms.

Suho’s eyes darted to me skeptically.  He stood up from his unusual position and stepped forward to my collar. “You…you’ve grown fond of her…” The words escaped from his lips as an accusation.

“Do you realize what you’re getting yourself into? Falling in love? For a human?!” Suho released me with a string push and pounded his fist against the nearest wall.

“At first I thought you were just doing it for fun. I didn’t realize your feelings were actually growing—actually I had a hunch but I chose to ignore that. I trusted you Sehun. This is wrong. She’s dying. You can’t save her. It’s the rules!” Suho said through gritted teeth. Although I am not used to this side of him, although I find it threatening that the nice and gentle Suho I know is now on the verge of throwing a punch on my stupid face, I don’t want to waste any second when Raemin’s danger.

“I don’t have time for this. I’m bringing her whether you’re coming or not.” I glared back and pushed pass him—purposely bumping his shoulder on the process. Right now I don’t care about anything. I don’t care if he’s my leader or if I’m breaking any damned rule. All that I cared about was the person I’m holding in my hands.

“Don’t you dare step a toe out of this house!” Suho shouted in a command which I ignored.

“Once you leave, that would mean leaving EXO too. You can never return.”

My pace slowed before I paused right in front of Raemin’s apartment door. The words rang in my ears like an explosion. I winced at the unimaginable image of leaving EXO behind—of the friends I find closest to a family. My gripped tightened around Raemin. I looked down at her face mirroring nothing but pain.

“Choose. Her…or us?” The words slid through his teeth like acid. It pained to think that I have to choose between the two things I cherish most. I would have ripped my soul into two if I had the choice.

At that moment, Raemin’s eyes fluttered in a slightest opening. Her chapped lips parted slowly. “S-Sehu-Sehun..” Without second thoughts, I twisted the doorknob violently and slammed it shut as loudly as I could before I made my escape through the night.

Raemin

~

I was feeling sore yet light at the same time. My head pounded against my skull quite painfully but I have grasped the intuition that I have control of my brain again. I urged myself to open my eyes and I am—only in a very slow and weak manner. My eyelids were shaking and my eyebrows were twitching on what seemed to require a great effort.

“Raemin? Raemin? Are you okay? Are you waking? Nurse!” A frantic voice spilled in my ears.

That was when I became aware of the gentle fingers my hand and squeezing it reassuringly. My eyes were finally open but my vision was bleary.

A person hovered over me—I was sure of that. His hair and complexion were ivory—but he was wearing a cloak and sporting a schythe. Am I dying? Is he the angel of death?

“Raemin!” The hand squeezed my hand tighter.

My eyes finally began to focus and the figure I was seeing grew sharper. His features started to resemble someone familiar. The cloak and the scythe disappeared slowly until they were nowhere of sight. Soon, all I saw was a boy wearing a disheveled white dress shirt and dark jeans.

“Sehun?” My voice came out in a croaky whisper. I was astounded of the sight before me. Why is he here? I wandered my eyes and found a needle on my right hand and an oxygen tube on my nose that obviously supported my breathing. Judging by my appearance, I could probably conclude where we are.

“Why…are we here? What happened to me?” I confusedly asked. There was a hint of panic and worry in my voice as I try to digest the surroundings.

“Don’t worry, you’re fine. The doctors are coming. Just wait.” Sehun said reassuringly. He pressed his lips softly against the back of my hand and placed it against his cheeks.

I looked weirdly at him. What’s with his actions? Before I was able to retrieve my hand back from him, the doctor entered the room accompanied with the nurses. Sehun stood up to bow to them.

“Ms. Han…” the doctor sighed and pushed hid glasses up his nose.

“What’s wrong with me? What happened?” I asked eagerly—hungry for answers that I’m dead curious of.

“As I have mentioned to Mr. Xi before…” He was cut off by Sehun who raised his eyebrow coldly.

“Mr. Xi?” he asked in an icy voice.

“Yes, Mr. Xi Luhan. I reckon you know him?”

“I do know him.” Sehun murmured almost inaudibly.

“Well, I told Mr. Xi from the first time you out that it’s not good for you to experience fatigue. Apparently, your resistance is very weak. You cannot tolerate rigorous activities. Therefore, we’ll inject sleeping medications through your IV in order to get you some good rest. There is nothing to worry about. You just need rest.”

“That’s bullcrap!” Sehun abruptly stood from his seat and grabbed the doctor’s tie.

“You’re telling us everything’s okay when she nearly died?! How can you call yourself a doctor?!” Sehun pushed him against the wall—cutting off the poor man’s air. The nurses were frantic to help but were no match to Sehun’s strength.

I nearly died? How? What exactly happened?

“S-Sir. P-pardon m-me. P-please let me—let me explain.” The doctor managed to choke out the words.

Sehun bared his teeth tauntingly before he released him hardly. He stormed out of the room and the doctor followed in low spirits.

I looked at the nurses for answer but no one met my eyes. It was as if they were purposely avoiding me. Not a minute after, they also went out of the room after checking my blood pressure and adjusting the water flow of the IV.

What exactly are they keeping from me?

Sehun

~

“Sir, it was a mere blackout caused by fatigue.”

“I am not stupid!” I shouted at him so loudly that the few people passing by the corridor snapped their heads to our direction. I noticed that I’ve alarmed some souls and they were starting to grow curious about me.

I pulled the doctor into a farther corner where it was deserted and no one would hear our conversation.

“I have my ways of knowing why I know she’s not okay. And you don’t have to know how or why. But I’m damn sure they’re far better than yours. You’re keeping something from us and I’m not tolerating any of that crap. Now, if you will so kindly tell me what’s wrong with her?” I lowered my voice into a dangerously threatening voice.

“He’s not telling you anything.” A defiant voice announced.

“Mr. Xi.” The doctor bowed and I turned my head to see Luhan striding near to us. I scoffed at his presence and glared darkly at him.

“Thank you Dr.Kim, I’ll take it from here.” Luhan bowed.

“Luhan, I supposed you’ll drop the formalities and call me Jaejoong. I’ve been collared and shoved so many times I feel like the title doctor isn’t applicable of earning me respect anymore.” The doctor—who was actually Kim Jaejoong (mark his name. I’m gonna make him suffer when I reap his soul.)—fixed his tie and shot Luhan a glare before walking off angrily.

“You know the truth. Spill it.” I spat the words through gritted teeth as I stared him down.

“She has brain cancer.” Luhan’s shoulders deflated as he said the words. I felt my fists clenching. He was keeping it from her all this time? I my heels to go back to Raemin’s room when Luhan stood in my way.

“Are you crazy?!” His eyes were wide in anger and fear.

“What do you think she’ll do if she knew about this? She will falter!” He shoved me on the chest as he placed his body as a shield between me and the door.

“I know Raemin and she’s a strong girl. She deserves to know this.” I pushed him sideways and was almost to the door when someone punched me on the face. I fell on my back due to the impact. My lip started bleeding and I wiped it off with the back of my hand.

I looked up with a stone expression and found Luhan’s accomplice—Kai.

“Great, you called for reinforcements.” I smirked and pushed my body off the floor.


A/N:

The Kris issue took a great toll on me TAT he's my bias 3 

I got sick for days.

I'm sorry for being unable to update.

Thank you for always being there hanging on 'til the end of this story. (since were a few chapters away from there.)

You guys always give me the strength to write <3

To the subscribers and active readers, I will always hold you closely to my heart :')

-faye_lee