II: The others

The Grim Reaper

 


I did what was the stupidest thing a grim reaper could do; I went to a school and applied to be a student. I didn’t know why but ever since, I really wanted to know how to live a life of a student.

Well, I didn’t know it would be this difficult. Of course, it’s stupid of me to forget that I would need proofs of being a human-being to enter a school. The woman in the office asked me for a valid I.D., birth certificate and the name of my previous schools (like I would have those.).

I ended up leaving the office at once before the woman even had the time to exhale. I disappeared out of thin air—it would be the best way to deal with situations like that. Although the experience was quite unusual, it proved that I was humanly to the eyes—although it was a mystery still that the girl I saw in the apartment a while ago could see me even if I’m invisible.

I didn’t have much time for leisure. The bell rang right after I got out of the school grounds. It signalled another soul to reap. Wanting to do the job as fast as I can, I rushed to the site at once.

 I haven’t really seen a grim reaper for more than a century now. I was surprised to see my old acquaintance Chen doing the task for me. He has already sent the soul where it belongs before he turned his back to face me.

We met eyes for a second before he blinked slowly and gazed down at his own weapon—a scythe like mine. Chen looks like a human to me as other grim reapers do. In a grim reaper’s eyes, his comrades have his own definition of features. In our eyes, when we look at each other, we look human. However, in the people’s eyes we look like skeletons—a warning of death.

That’s why the question. I have no explanation right now that will explain my human appearance to the eyes of mortals.

“Long time no see, Sehun. I suppose we should celebrate.” He finally looked up to meet my gaze again and encouragingly led the way.

“Why did you visit?” I asked him, curious of his sudden appearance.

“I honestly have no important reason. I just felt like I should.” He said with a little shrug.

We sat on top of a high rise building feeding on junk foods and slurping sodas that we gathered from vendo machines. It wasn’t really necessary for us to eat. We just do it to past time.

Chen is undoubtedly in a good mood today. He stuffed corn chips in his mouth like a child while gazing at the zooming cars and blinking street lights. He listened attentively with my story that I decided to reveal to him.

“So, you’re telling me that a soul gave you an errand.” He asked before gulping down half a can of coke.

“Yeah.”

“And you accepted it.”

“Yeah.” I said with a nod.

“Mm-hm. Okay get on with the story. What happened next?” Chen waved his hand, signaling me to continue as he grabbed a pack of potato chips and tore it open.

“I obediently did what I was told and went to his apartment to convey a note. His daughter arrived and I was sure I am on my invisible mode. But, I don’t understand why his daughter saw me. She even told me I was handsome.”

I said with a shrug, watching Chen’s expression as it evolved from bored to curiosity.

“I can’t believe she said you were handsome. “ Chen shook his head playfully.

“What more if I was the one she saw? How will she describe me? Godly?” He added, running his fingers on the side of his face.

I rolled my eyes and pushed him off the edge only to play a prank.

“Hey! You could’ve killed a person.” Chen protested as he flew back and sat on his previous seat.

“Luckily you’re NOT a person.” I said teasingly.

“Right.” He agreed and chugged down another soda.

“The whole EXO knows you’re good-looking. You don’t have to rub it on my face.” I spat and grabbed the can he has on his hand to drink it to the last drop.

“Great. Now we’re out of soda.” He said as he turned all the cans upside down.

“Don’t bother. We don’t need to quench any thirst anyway.” I waved my hands dismissively at the sodas as if to make them go away.

“But I like sodas. I like the feeling of the sparkling sensation going down my throat.” Chen said with a small pout.

We remained silent for a while with only the sound of the chips crunching between the gnawing of our teeth heard. After finishing a whole wrapper, I finally stood up and dusted the crumbles on my hood and palms.

“So… what do you think?”  I asked, looking at Chen’s blank expression.

“Think about what?” Chen asked, looking up at me with his eyebrows crumpled together.

“Why she sees me.” I said with a sigh.

“Oh, I don’t know. Maybe, sometimes there’s really just an exception. Or, it could be that you’re turning to a human soon, like Kai or Luhan. “Chen replied calmly and plainly with a gesture of shoulders.

“Wait, wait, wait, what?” I asked, seeming to miss processing what he had just said.

“Should I repeat everything I said?”

“No. It’s just that, what do you mean by turning human soon?” I asked—my head now filled with bazillion questions and flood of confusion.

“Don’t tell me you haven’t heard of what happened to Kai and Luhan.” Chen said, turning the table of confusion to him.

I just stared at him nonchalantly. What the heck is he saying? I have no freakin’ idea of what he’s talking about right now. It seemed to reflect on my face what I’m thinking right now. Chen sighed and hung his head low, scratching his scalp irritably.

“Man, I can’t believe you.” He said and stood up, placing his hands on the sides of his waist.

“We better ask Kris to explain this to you.” Chen leaped off the building, jumping with grace and tenacity. I followed him within a meter as he flew from one building to another—locating Kris.

We found Kris wrestling with souls—which is an amazingly funny sight to us. The leader of EXO M is on the loose like a buffalo. Humorous it may seem to us, it is a menacing sight for any human that will be allowed to see this.

“Yo, Kris!” Chen shouted, waving his hand at his group leader. Kris looked up to us with a soul wrestling him from behind. He signaled a finger, asking us to wait for a minute. Kris flipped souls and escaped them one by one. He tried to pry them off his body as they cling like leeches on him. Finally, on the last second of his promised minute, he flew up to our position which is on top of an abandoned building.

Kris panted heavily, wiping the beads of sweat off his forehead.

“Hey Sehun, Chen.” He said and plopped down to the ground.

“What do you want from me?” he asked, lying on the same position.

“Sehun here doesn’t know of what happened to Kai and Luhan.” Chen said and rolled his eyes, as if it was a huge stupidity to be unaware of that fact.

“No way.” Kris sat up, leaning on his arms.

“Yes way.” Chen rolled his eyes again, this time, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

“Dude, seriously. You have to socialize. Stop being a good grim reaper that does his job so boringly. Enjoy it instead like I do.”

“Oh, you mean; once in a while beat up ghosts like you do?” I said and pointed my chin at him.

“That’s one.” He said with a big grin plastered on his face.

“Whatever.” I replied.

“Ah~ It’s so hot. I want an ice cream.”

Kris insisted on busting in an ice cream shop in the middle of the night. Well, he’s the only one who craved for ice cream so me and Chen waited on the roof of the ice cream parlor as Kris used his invisibility to get a cone of strawberry ice cream for himself.

“Kai and Luhan transformed to being a human.” Kris his ice cream happily as he narrated the story. I listened like a cat, alert and alive.

“Nobody knows how or why. The only thing I know is that they don’t recognize us –even though they see us.” There was a tone of blue in Kris’s voice. He seemed to be really affected with the loss of one of his EXO M members.

“Were there any signs before they turned human?” I asked, trying to see if there’s a connection with what’s happening to me with their disappearance.

“Like I said, nobody knows how or why. No one in EXO was able to interact with them before they turned human. “

“Kris, Sehun here says that he was seen by a human even if he’s in his invisible mode. Do you think that could possibly be a sign that he’s turning human too?”

Kris examined me for a while with his eyes. He looked at me up and down, searching for differences that may not be visible with a glance.

“Could be. Something about his grim reaper aura is off. The best thing we could do is to stay close to him and observe.” Kris said, circling me with his two fingers pinching his chin and an arm across his chest.

The bell rang in my ears. As if on cue, we all leaped off from the building.

“Wait, all of us heard it?” Chen asked, stopping on his tracks as Kris and I did.

“Which only means that we should stay together—work as a team. It seems that it wants me and Chen to be a witness of Sehun.” Kris said anxiously.

“Does this mean that something different is really happening to me?” I asked, feeling the course of worry and anxiety wash all over my body, weakening my reflexes.

Kris placed an arm around my shoulder comfortingly.

“Don’t worry. We’ll figure it all out.”  He said and ruffled my hair.

“Yep. Sooner or later. Whatever it is, we won’t let you be at worse.” Chen added, trying to cheer me up with his dimpled smile.

I nodded apprehensively. Kris and Chen lead the way and I followed them behind silently—even more disturbed than I was before.

I knew it was idiotic but what’s on my mind right now is one thing—the girl I saw in the apartment. I felt that she had the answers. I need to see her. I will, soon.

A/N:

Sorry for the late update 

*bows and down on knees*

Was a bit busy and had a huge dose of writer's block XD

And I had 3 other fics to look after. And school. And I was sick.

Too many reasons.

Anyway, Thanks for the comments, subscribers , and readers.

XOXO

-faye_lee

I hope you enjoy the update :D