Chapter 30

By the Life of my Enemy

If you just finished Chapter 29, you can continue listening to whatever song you were listening to, but I'd honestly prefer you listen to Hello by Evanescence. Warning: you will probably cry or at least feel sad a bit.

 

“What?” Changmin whispered. He saw Karam looking at him worriedly. “They… he’s never going to wake up again?”

“Are you talking about Jung Yunho?” Karam asked quietly.

Changmin nodded. “Okay, I’ll tell Jaejoong. Don’t worry about it, I’ll try to soften it up, but I don’t think there is a way I can do that. Bye.” He hung up. “I have to go see Jae hyung.”

Karam placed his hand on Min’s cheek. “I’ll go with you. You’re not alone in this.”

“Thank you.” The older let a silent tear escape from his eye and leaned in to give his boyfriend a short but sincere kiss. “I love you, Karam.”

“You know I love you too.”

 

Note: As always, this color means they're speaking Chinese.

 

Changmin felt dread twisting his stomach, but took a deep breath and opened the door to step inside Yunho’s room, Karam just behind him. “Jae... Jaejoong hyung.”

The older, along with Krystal and Amber, glanced up. “Hello, Changmin, Karam.” His voice was flat. “What brings you here?”

“Doctor Park called Leeteuk hyung,” Karam explained. “It seems like the doctors have made a decision.”

“A decision?”

“Regarding Yunho,” Changmin replied.

Jaejoong’s eyes showed both hopefulness and fear. “What kind of decision?”

“I think it would be best to call everyone here. This is something they need to know.”

“Alright. I’ll call Geng gege.” Amber pulled out her phone and dialed. “ Hey, it’s me. Can you call Kai, Kyungsoo, and basically everyone else? We’re meeting up at the hospital, apparently there are some important news about Yunho .” She sighed. “I don’t know what’s going on either. Just come with everyone. 

 

They were all there. Yoochun, Junsu, Hangeng, Heechul, Kris, Tao, Kai, Kyungsoo, Luhan, Sehun, even Shindong and Nari came to see Yunho and hear what Changmin and Karam had to say. It hurt Min to see so many people grieving over the man, and it hurt him even more that he’d have to tell them about the doctors’ decision.

“So what did the doctors say?” Shindong asked worriedly.

Changmin cleared his throat. “First I’d like to ask all of you to sit down. Please.” They obliged with confused faces. “I don’t want anyone to faint and get hurt. Yunho-ssi is… he is in a very bad condition.”

“And? That’s all the doctors said?” Hangeng gave Kai a warning glare.

“They doubt that…” Min felt his breath go away. He tried to focus and calm down, but it was difficult.

“They doubt that Yunho-ssi will wake up,” Karam said in his place.

What?!” Heechul screeched and shot up. Everyone else had shocked blank expressions.

“That means he…” Amber didn’t dare continue.

“They want to pull the plug on him.” Changmin’s voice was not much more than a breath. Even though he wasn’t as close to Yunho as the people around him, he felt their pain. It was terrifying and agonizing to see the depression on their faces.

“They’re saying there’s no hope.” It wasn’t a question and it physically hurt Changmin to nod at Jaejoong’s words. “Call Doctor Park in. I want to… I want to speak with her about it.”

“Yes, hyung.” Changmin was glad to leave the room filled with misery. “Doctor Park!” he called out when he saw the familiar figure walking down the hallway.

“Ah, Changmin-ssi. Did Leeteuk-ssi tell you about the decision?”

“Yes. I talked to everyone else. Jaejoong hyung wants to discuss it with you. He’s… in a bad state.” Min swore he saw tears forming in the doctor’s eyes, but then she rushed past him and back to Yunho’s room.

“Jaejoong-ssi.” She tried to keep her voice as normal as possible. “You wanted to speak about the decision?”

“Yes, I did.” Changmin was surprised by his hyung’s sudden calmness. Maybe Jaejoong was just good at hiding his feelings. “I would like to know why you believe this is the best decision.”

“According to the continuous tests we have done and his medical history, there is a 97% chance that he will stay in a comatose state forever.” Doctor Park didn’t look at anyone while speaking but instead kept her eyes glued to the wall above Yunho’s bed. “We can keep him like this, of course, but you should know that even if his body continues to live, his soul will have moved on. It wouldn’t be Jung Yunho you’d look at, but his body. His shell.”

“So we should just give up?”

Doctor Park tried to smile but failed. “I wouldn’t call it giving up.”

“But that’s exactly what it is!” Heechul yelled. “You want us to give up on the 3% chance we have left.”

“It wasn’t my first choice. However, the other doctors have convinced me that it is the best decision. You might spend the rest of your lives in this hospital, waiting, but nothing ever happens until the day you die. You do realize that when I say 97% I mean it? This is not a case of ‘Oh, there’s 3% left, so everything will be alright’. We are not in a book or a movie. Miracles don’t happen.”

“I can’t believe I’m saying this,” Yoochun murmured, “but I agree with Doctor Park. She’s right. This is the real world and reality is a .”

“Don’t think of it as giving up, but as letting his body finally find peace,” Luhan added.

“Yunho wouldn’t have let SM shoot him unless he knew what was going to happen. He was fully aware that he was going to die,” Amber whispered and softly embraced the sobbing Krystal.

“So have you decided? Are you going to do it?” Doctor Park gave Jaejoong a gentle gaze.

After a moment of hesitation, he nodded. “You’re right. I will do it myself.” Everyone’s eyes filled with tears as Jaejoong stood up from his chair and went to Yunho’s bed. He smoothed out the hospital blanket and gave his lover one last tender kiss on the lips before walking over to the machine that kept Yunho alive. His fingers reached the plug and he mentally counted down from ten.

Ten.

Nine.

Eight.

Seven.

Six.

Five.

Four.

Three.

Two.

One.

Zer–

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Double the updates, double the depression T__T holy , I'm so ing sorry. I'll go cry over my own story now.

THIS IS NOT OVER YET!!! THERE IS STILL ONE MORE CHAPTER!!!

I love you, my Pancakes, even though you probably hate me right now T___T