Chapter 25

By the Life of my Enemy

It was late at night. The hospital was relatively silent. However, something broke the seemingly peaceful atmosphere. Loud sobs were heard from the lobby in which a group of men sat together. None of them spoke a word. Things like “I’m sorry” or “It will be all right” were out of place and would seem fake.

“It’s my fault,” Jaejoong whispered over and over again. “I could’ve done something… I could’ve pushed him away… something…”

“Nothing is your fault, Jaejoong-ah. Don’t blame yourself.” Leeteuk squeezed the younger agent’s hand reassuringly.

“Be glad that Changmin came to prevent anything worse from happening,” Heechul added with a soft voice. His eyes were red from crying as well, even though the people who were most affected were Jaejoong, Yoochun, and Hangeng.

“Where is SM now?” a boy named Kyungsoo asked cautiously.

“They’re checking to see if they can save him. If they can, he’ll go to jail immediately. If they can’t…” Kangin let his voice trail off.

Kai moved his hand down Kyungsoo’s arm and took his hand gently. “Yunho hyung will be fine. As for SM, no one’s really going to miss him.”

“What exactly happened, Jae hyung?” Junsu turned to his cousin with a sad expression on his face.

 

~Flashback~

 

“Go ahead and kill me.” Jaejoong wanted to yell at Yunho, tell him he was going insane, but the panic caused him to be at a loss for words.

“As you wish,” Sooman grinned before pulling the trigger.

Yunho stared straight into Jae’s eyes. “I love you,” he whispered before the bullet pierced through his body.

“YUNHO!” Jaejoong screamed louder than he had ever screamed before. The tears were running down his cheeks uncontrollably as he shot up and fell back on the floor next to his bleeding lover. “Oh god… Yunho…” Another shot scared him and he waited for the pain, but nothing happened. He slowly opened his eyes that he had closed out of reflex and saw SM fall down on the floor with a horrified expression on his face. Jaejoong turned around to see Changmin race towards him and envelop him in a tight hug. His gun was dropped to the floor.

“Jaejoong!” The older agent didn’t respond. “Hyung, please!” Under normal circumstances, Jae would’ve teased Changmin for speaking respectfully, but this was no such case.

“Changmin-ssi!” Hangeng’s voice echoed through the building and Jaejoong glanced up slightly. The Chinese man raced through the door and stared at the two dead bodies. “What… no…”

Heechul came in behind him and gasped. “Geng…” For the first time in a long while, Hangeng let tears fall from his eyes. Heechul hugged him tightly. “I’m so freaking sorry…” he sniffled.

The next few moments were a blur. Jaejoong felt someone helping him up, but his knees gave way and he fell back down. An ambulance came to pick Yunho up. The doctors tried to calm Jae down and move him away from the injured man, but he refused to let go of the latter’s blood-stained hand. Kai explained the entire situation as best as he could, telling them who Sooman was in the first place.

 

~Flashback End~

 

“Excuse me?” The men brought their gazes up to see Doctor Park looking at them with a sad expression.

Jaejoong wiped his tears away. “Is… is he…”

“I have good news and bad news,” the doctor sighed.

“Good news first.” It was the first thing Yoochun said after what felt like an eternity of crying.

“Your friend is alive.” Relief flooded over everyone in the room. Jaejoong felt his lips curve into a small smile, until Kai spoke up.

“Then what are the bad news?”

Doctor Park’s face fell immediately. “He’s currently in a coma. We don’t know when he will wake up, or if he will ever wake up.”

Jaejoong felt like he was going to faint. “I want to see him,” he whispered. Doctor Park smiled sadly and led them into the room where Yunho was currently kept. There were tubes in the ex-mafia boss’ body, an IV drip in his arm. A heart monitor kept track of his heartbeat. Jaejoong fell to his knees next to the hospital bed, sobbing uncontrollably.

“Oh my god,” Heechul breathed. “We… we have to tell Krystal and Amber about this…”

“I’ll take care of calling everyone.” Hangeng had regained enough of his calmness to think clearly again.

“Alright,” Leeteuk whispered. “Be careful when telling them, though.”

 

Hangeng stepped outside and pulled out his phone.

“Yeoboseyeo?”

“Krystal?”

“Oh, Hangeng! Great to hear from you! In case you were wondering, Amber is here with me, she–”

“Yunho was shot.”

Dead silence.

“H-he… he what?”

“I’m so ing sorry, Krys. Can you tell Amber and everyone else?”

“How did it happen?”

“He and Jaejoong are a couple now. SM kidnapped Jae and Yunho came in to save him… I think you know what happened next.”

“SM did what?”

“One of the agents, Changmin, came in and shot SM. We’re still unsure if he’s alive.”

“I hope he didn’t make it,” Krystal said thickly.

“So do I, Krys, so do I. I have to hang up now.”

“Take care, Geng. I’ll come visit as soon as I can.”

“Go ahead and do that. Bye, Krystal.”

“Bye.”

Beep. Hangeng let another tear roll down his cheek before he went back to Yunho’s room.

“Ah, there you are. I was just about to tell all of you something.” Doctor Park motioned for him to step closer.

“What is it?” Heechul furrowed his brows.

“About this Lee Sooman, he… didn’t make it.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I... feel... so... horrible *runs away*

I have the rest of the story planned out. I think it will be around 5-7 more chapters.

For the next few chapters I'll be focusing on other couples than YunJae because Jaejoong isn't going to do much more than sit beside Yunho and cry, and I don't want to skip this part too quickly.

I love you, pancakes. Please don't murder me T__T