O8. Missing

The Path

            The news was spreading in the hallways like wildfire. It's been two weeks ever since the girls disappeared and the campus was in pure chaos. There were no leads found as to what happened to them.

"I heard they were kidnapped."

"Really? Have the kidnappers asked for ransom yet?"

"Well, I heard they fell off a cliff and died but their bodies weren't found yet."

            Kai was walking down the hallway fuming in anger. The gossip has been getting worse and worse as the days go by and it has been hard for him to keep his sanity. He walked faster to the soccer field and met some of the guys there. When he spotted them, he threw his bag pack on the ground in frustration.

"UGHHHHH!" He groaned dropping on the ground. The other guys could only look at him in pity. They knew the feeling. They were distraught at the fact that their friends were missing too.

"I couldn't find them... It's like they just disappeared. How is that possible?" Kris said. He had been scouring the mountains almost every day since the girls went missing. "Keep looking!" Kai demanded. Kris winced at the tone of his voice.

"I just can't keep looking Kai. I don't even know where to start anymore.... Sooner or later we would have to acc-"

"DON'T SAY IT" Kai interjected and stood up.

"Don't you dare say it." He said coldly.

"Calm down." Chanyeol went up to him and patted his shoulder, only to be slapped away.

"Don't you dare tell me to calm down, when the girls are still gone."

"GUYS STOP IT!" Baekhyun yelled. He stood up and faced Kai.

"We have enough problems as it is and fighting would only make it worse." He stated firmly. Kai shrugged and looked away.

"The elders wants us to come tonight. Be there." Baekhyun inquired and grabbed his bag pack to leave.

"I'm skipping for the rest of the day. I'll be there later." Kai implied.

"But you already-"

"WHOOSH~~" Kai vanished into thin air, The guys could only shake their heads. *At least you can go and look for them... I feel useless.* Baekhyun thought and headed to class.

-

            Baekhyun got home from school and headed up stairs to his room, but was stopped in front of his uncle's office.

"Alright officer... Call me whenever you find something." He heard Eunbi's dad sigh and hang up the phone.

"What did they say?" Eunbi's mom and Diane asked.

"They found the jeep in one of the alley's here in Seoul but there were no clues as to who brought it there. It didn't have any finger prints nor did it have any signs of forced entry." He slumped down on his chair and ran a hand through is hair in frustration.

"But they still have to keep looking!" Diane said exasperatedly. Eunbi's dad could only look away. He couldn't look at her straight in the eyes.

"They can't keep looking forever."

"NO!!! Please, don't give up... please..." Eunbi's mom fell on the floor crying. Diane glared at her husband and comforted Eunbi's mom giving her a hug. Eunbi's dad looked away as tears were streaming down his face.

            Outside the office, Baekhyun eyes were b with tears. He went to his room and quietly shut the door. He sat on his bed and sighed. *Everybody's giving up... girls... where are you?*

"Knock knock." Baekhyun's thoughts were halted by a knock. Not at the door, but at the window. He walked up and opened it.

"Hey" Kris greeted flatly. Baekhyun was irked by his friend’s ignorance.

"WHAT THE HELL!! Kris! People might see you!" Baekhyun said flabbergasted. "And..."

"Well, for starters, my room is on the second floor and secondly, you are FLYING in midair." Kris looked down and smiled sheepishly.

"Oh... I forgot." he pushed Baekhyun aside and climbed in the window.

"I thought we were going to meet up at the warehouse. Why are you here?" Baekhyun asked.

"I just got back from the mountains not too long ago. I was just wondering if you heard from the police." Kris asked worriedly.

"Yeah. They said they found their car at one of the alleys here in Seoul, but still no clues." Kris sighed leaning on the wall.

"WHOOSH~~"

"Guys, we need to go." Kai said. Baekhyun and Kris were startled half to death.

"Kai stop doing that!" Kris yelled.

"Doing what?"

"Teleporting, unannounced." Baekhyun replied.

"Oh... sorry, I called you but you didn't answer, so they sent me." Kai said nonchalantly. "But it's only 5:30; the elders aren't coming till 8. Is something wrong?" Baekhyun asked in worry.

"I don't know.... Let's just go." Kai walked up to them grabbing their shoulders and in an instant they were already in the warehouse.

-

            "Why did the barriers collapse?" Lay argued. "

The portals have been closed for the past two hundred years. How could those demons find a way out?" The others looked up at the three old men in front of them. They were the elders. TaeSung 'The Oracle', JinHo 'The Warlock' and JongSuk ‘The Immortal'. "The eclipse that occurred two weeks ago was a lunar eclipse. That's when we are on our most vulnerable." Jin Ho stated.

"And.." Suho urged them to go on.

"Thus, the barriers holding the portals to the other worlds are also at its weakest." Jong Suk implied.

"That hasn't been a problem for us for the past years. Why is it one now?" Xiumin asked. Jong Suk and Jin Ho glanced at Tae Sung. He looked up at the boys and looked remorseful.

"Because this time around, the great one has chosen."

All the guys gasped in fear and anxiety.

"And that means, that whoever they are, they are anybody's to claim." Jinho finished. "What do you mean?" Baekhyun asked in confusion.

"They are welders of the elements. They belong to our kind." Sehun said. "They were chosen, not born into this. Unlike you guys. You had us to look after you. They aren't as lucky." Taesung said.

"They are the most powerful beings in this world and the others. Having them wander around on their own with no protection and without properly channeling their powers, they will subject to their captors and would have to serve them, against their own will." Jongsuk said sadly.  

"And we haven't sensed them at all, which is why we need you guys to keep a look out." Taesung inquired.

"How are we supposed to help? We don't even know what they look like nor would we know if it was them." Chen asked in disbelief.

"Oh... trust me. You'll know." Jongsuk grinned.

"They are connected to the elements and so, they are also connected to you." Jinho gave them a warm smile and they could only shrug.

"Good luck." Jinho snapped his fingers and the elders disappeared. The guys looked at each other and sighed. Having the girls disappear was already too hard for them to handle, now they have to worry about these so called 'chosen ones' too.

"I can't take this anymore!" Chen punched the wall and lightning struck outside.

"Chen, get yourself together!" Suho firmly stated. Lay went up to Chen and grabbed his now broken hand. He clasped it in between his, and his hands glowed a bright yellow. Chen flinched and flexed his hand again to see that it was healed.

"Thanks." He said and Lay gave him an acknowledging nod.

"I know that we have more problems to deal with but our priorities as guardians come first." All the guys looked up at Suho in disbelief.

“But we can't just-"

"Yes we can and I'm sorry. I miss the girls too but as much as I want to keep searching for them, and have the world run over by demons and other unearthly creatures. I'd rather have them come back to a place where there is no danger at all." The guys sighed in defeat,  Suho was right.

"Okay... But what are we going to do?" Lay asked.

"Same old, same old. But this time we keep our senses open." Baekhyun stated. All the guys reluctantly agreed except for one.

"Kai, is something wrong?" Baekhyun asked. He has been awfully quiet this whole time. And now at the mention of his name he couldn't help but fidget.

 "Uh... N-No i'm fine." Kris narrowed his eyes at Kai. *He's hiding something.* 

"Are we done here?" Kai asked and Suho nodded.

"Okay. I'll go first." Kai vanished. The guys looked at each other. No words were said, but everybody knew there was something bothering their friend.

-

            *What's happening to me? I keep seeing her everywhere...* Kai was in his room lying on his bed, thinking about what he saw today. *It looked like her but at the same time.. It didn't... I'm going crazy!* He heaved a sigh and walked up to his window.

-

            "Kamsahamnida ahjummuhni." Kai thanked the lady in the cash register, giving her a warm smile and walked out the door. *Yummm... food...* He was taking a break from searching the mountains and ended up in one of the towns nearby. He walked to the little park they had and sat on one of the benches that had a pond right across from it. *Hmmm... Where are you girls? Everybody's getting worried. Especiall-* Kai's thoughts were halted by a figure of a girl right across the pond. "J-Jieun?" he sat up straight and rubbed his eyes making sure he saw clearly, but the girl was gone. He slumped back on the bench in sadness and chuckled at himself. *You're even seeing things now.* he knocked himself on the head and got up.

 

            He was strolling down the road asking the towns people if they saw the girls. "Ahjussi, Have you seen these girls before?" He held up a picture of the girls and the old man squinted his eyes to take a closer look. But to Kai's dismay he shook his head no. "Sorry son. I haven't." Kai gave him a warm smile. "It's alright. Thank you." Kai bowed and left the pottery shop. He kept walking down the little town and kept asking other people if they saw the girls but was only met with disappointment. *This is hopeless.* He leaned on one of the lamp posts and ruffled his hair in frustration.

 

            *I give u-* "Kamsahamnida!" Kai's thoughts were interrupted by a familiar voice. "Jieun!" He looked up and right across from the street he saw the girl he's been longing to see for the past two weeks now, or at least her face. Kai stood there looking at the girl coming out of the bakery in confusion. She looked like Jieun, but had different hair. Jieun had dark brown while she had bright red. And she was wearing a flowy dress. Jieun would never wear that. *Is that really her?*

 

            She was walking farther and farther away from Kai. He straightened up and ran across the street yelling her name. "JIEUN!!!" Some towns people were blocking his path and he ended up bumping into an old man causing the old man to fall. "I-I'm Sorry!" He helped him up and apologized. He bowed to the old man and started running again. "Where is she?" he craned his neck looking for her. There she was. He saw her turn into one of the alleys.

 

            He ran as fast as he could. He was happy and anxious to get to see her again. He slowed down when he reached the opening of the alley. "JIEUN! JIEU-" He turned into the alley and saw no one. His smile faded as quickly as his hope did. All he saw was a dead end. *Where did she go? I just saw her!* He slumped on the wall, fighting the tears that were threatening to fall out. "You've finally lost it Kai!" he fell on the ground crouching with his head between his knees. His tears were uncontrollably falling now. At this point he didn't care anymore. He just wanted to see Jieun again, or any of the girls at that. "BRINGGGGG!" he was startled by his phone ringing. He straightened up and answered. "H-Hello." he tried hard to compose himself. "Kai... Come to the warehouse now. The elders are here." Suho said over the phone. "Okay, I'll be there in a bit." he hung up and stood wiping the tears that stained his face.

 

            He looked back to the alley and looked to the ground in hopelessness... then he vanished.

-

            "I miss you... I know you're out there..." he said and wiped the tear that fell on his cheek. He walked to his bed lying down and closed his eyes.