II. We're Back

The Path

"UGHHHH!!!!"

Eunbi, Soyoon and Dayoung heard Jieun grunting in frustration. They looked out the window and saw their friend crouching down in front of the lake.

The girls sighed, "She was fine when she walked in the water two days ago, but now she can barely even dip her feet in it... It's like her fear of water got even worse." The girls shook their heads hopelessly and looked back at their dear friend.

*I can't take this anymore... Why do I have to be the keeper of water?* Jieun sobbed. It's been only two days and her powers have been stronger than ever. She didn't have a problem controlling her other powers, just this one and it was slowly eating out her sanity. Not to mention the fact that it's been two weeks since she'd last seen her mom and she misses her terribly. She felt a hand on her shoulder. She looked back and saw Ara smiling down gently at her.

"Lunch is ready... Take a break and go in."

Jieun shook her head, "I'm not hungry." She firmly said wiping away her tears and looking back at the lake. Ara frowned.

"Jieun~ah... forcing yourself wouldn't do you any good." Ara said and Jieun looked back abruptly.

"Then how am I supposed to control this... this thing!" She yelled while her eyes started to get blurry with tears. Ara was shocked at her outburst. Jieun realized what she did and looked down at her feet.

"I-I'm sorry..." Jieun said and Ara softened. She knew that the girls had a lot on their plate and she knew the feeling. When her powers came in, she could barely even keep up with herself and she only had one element to control. The girls had multiple, she couldn't even imagine the stress. She walked up to Jieun and wiped the tears away from her face.

"I don't know if I can ever control this." Jieun whispered.

"You've been doing fine with the other ones so far and I'm sure you would be with water too... just give it some time." Ara nudged her. Jieun gave her a faint smile.

"HEY!!!!" The girls came running out of the house towards Ara and Jieun. Ara could only chuckle.

"Did you girls eat already?"

They all eagerly nodded.

"It was yummy!" Soyoon said and rubbed her stomach.

" I'll be inside...I'm kind of hungry too." Ara chuckled and left. The girl’s immediately jumped on Jieun and tried cheering her up.

"Yah! Lee Jieun!! If you keep acting like this, the little girl will come back and haunt you too!!" Dayoung said and Jieun stared at her in fear. The other girls laughed. "THAT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY!!!" Jieun hollered and the girls were on the ground rolling about in laughter. Jieun smiled sheepishly and held her hand out. She grabbed Dayoung's collar, "W-What are you doi-AHHHHHH!!!!" Dayoung was jumping around, shivering from the ice that Jieun stuck in her shirt. Jieun laughed triumphantly and ran away.

 "YAH! Come back here!!!" Dayoung yelled and ran to catch Jieun.

Ara was inside the house watching them from the window. She was at awe at how much they changed. The night after the incident near the cliff, the girls woke up with different appearances and even their personalities. Jieun had already changed with her hair being bright red but now she's even girlier. She's even wearing flowery dresses. Jieun possessed the powers of Water, Ice, Teleportation, Flight and Death. Dayoung on the other hand, her hair changed from light to dark brown and she was gaining more confidence as the days go by. She had Fire, Telekinesis, Flight, Shield and Negating other peoples powers. Eunbi's hair turned pitch black and she's been the same way except a little more charismatic now. Her powers were Light, Time Control, Lightning, Flight, and Illusions. Soyoon was still the same, except for the fact that she smiles more frequently and even does aegyo without being forced to. She had the powers of Air, Earth, Healing, Flight and Mind control.

"Is this because of the other powers they possess?" She asked herself and thought. "Hmmm... oh well.." She shrugged it off and went to the kitchen.

"Can we go get some cupcakes?!" The girls barged in the house all giddy and panting. "What?" Ara asked.

"Can we please go get some cupcakes? I really want something sweet." Soyoon said pleadingly.

"No.." Ara stated. The girls frowned.

"I told you girls it's not safe to be out there by yourselves and you've only been safe till now because of this place being hidden." Ara said sternly. The girls slumped their shoulders.

"Please.....?! We can handle ourselves..." Dayoung begged. Ara was contemplating. "And I could go! If any danger happens, I can just teleport back here in a flash! PLEASE..." Jieun convinced. Ara's shoulders deflated.

"UGH! Fine." She sighed and the girls squealed jumping to her in happiness. "Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyo-"

"Okay!" Ara stopped them from blabbering and chuckled, "Jieun, go before I change my mind!" Ara said giving Jieun some money and Jieun nodded.

"Okay!" then she vanished.

-

Jieun teleported into one of the alleys in a nearby town. She straightened up the  dress that Ara lent her and quickly walked out. People greeted her and she greeted back. *Finally...  civilization.* Jieun kept walking and spotted a park, she happily went towards it. She saw a pond and once again the feeling of fear and anxiousness took over her.

~

"Omma!!!" Jieun was calling out for her mom. It was in the middle of the day and her dad was drunk again. Her dad was dragging her mom out to the backyard and she could already see bruises on her mom's body. She quickly dashed to the poolside where her mom was. Her dad was about to lash out, only to be met by his daughters tearful eyes.

"Appa! Please stop!" she begged.

She felt useless, what could a six year old do. So as always her dad ignored her. Her dad held out his hand to slap her.

"NO!!!" Her mom yelled but it was too late. Jieun felt the sting on her face and with the force of the slap, she fell into the pool. She couldn't swim.

"You bastard!" She heard her mom yell. She saw her dad punch her mother in the stomach and fall down to the floor in pain. Her dad spat at her and left. Jieun was struggling to stay atop the water but soon enough her mind went into shock and her body stopped fighting. Her body fluttered down to the bottom of the pool. Her eyes were slowly closing.

"Jieun~ah."

Her mom got up and mustered all her strength dragging her wounded body to the pool. She spotted her little girl and she frantically jumped in. Jieun saw her mom swim towards her through her half-lidded eyes. Her mom grabbed her and took her out the water. Her mom was crying.

"Umma~" Jien said and smiled, then her eyes slowly closed.

The next day, Jieun woke up in the hospital. She looked to her side and saw her mom sleeping on a chair. Her eyes welled up in tears. Her mom's beautiful face was bruised and she saw her mom's arm in a cast.

"U-Umma!" She cried. Her mom stirred and opened her eyes. Her mom jolted up and instantly was by her daughter hugging her tightly.

"U-Umma... Umma~~"

Jieun was crying uncontrollably, soaking her mother's shirt.

"Shhh... Jieun~ah" Her mom was trying hard to stop the tears from coming but it was no use. Once she felt her daughter shivering in fear while she was hugging her, she almost lost her mind.

"Jieun~ah... Don't worry, Omma will keep you safe... nobody will hurt us anymore." Her mom shushed her and was rocking back and forth trying to comfort Jieun.

*I almost lost you today... It won't happen again... ever.* Her mom thought and her tears were b her eyes again.

~

Jieun wiped the tear that fell on her cheeks. Remembering the day, Jieun's hatred for her father deepened. That was the day she vowed that she would protect her mom no matter what. That was the day Jieun became violent. And that was the day Jieun stopped trusting any man.

"You ruined me."

She whispered in hate. Her tears started falling. She stared at the pond.

*You're not even here anymore and yet you're still causing me pain.* Her father was the reason of her fear of water. She didn't even like taking baths or showers. And if she did, she was in and out of the bathroom as quick as lightning. Jieun straightened up and wiped her tears.

"You’re not worth it."

She said and teleported to the sidewalk of the busy town.

 

She was glad that people were too pre-occupied to even notice her just randomly popping out in thin air. She cracked a smile and went up to one of the ahjumma's.

"Annyeonghassaeyo! Ahjumma, can you tell me where the bakery is?" She asked the ahjumma that was selling jewelry in the side of the road.

 "Oh... what a pretty girl. It's over there just across the street." Jieun blushed at the compliment and thanked the old lady. She bowed and headed to the bakery. She went in and took in the sweet smell of cakes and pastries.

"Hmmmm... Heaven!" she said and heard a chuckle, she looked up and saw an old couple at the cash register smiling at her.

"What can we get you?" Jieun snapped back and blushed slightly in embarrassment. "Uhmmm..." Jieun peered at the glass that held the tasty treats. She didn't know what to pick.

"This is so hard..." She mumbled and the couple chuckled again. She looked up and bit her lip, "Can I get ten of your best cupcakes?" She asked and the old man nodded. He got them for her and wrapped it neatly in a box.

"How much?" She asked.

 "$7.50"

The old lady answered. Jieun stared wide eyed.

 "But I bought ten... Why is it so cheap?" she asked. The old couple chuckled.

"First time costumers get a discount."

The old couple said in unison. They chuckled at their little moment and Jieun softened. She paid them the money and headed out.

"Kamsamnida!!!" She hollered out the door and they waved. She looked around and the street was busier than ever.

*The girls will love these cupcakes...* She thought and started for the alley she came from. She cracked a smile remembering the cute couple in the bakery but her smile quicky faded.

*They were so happy... Will I ever have that?*

"JIEUN!!!" She heard somebody yell her name. She looked back but she didn't see anybody. All she saw was people buzzing through the streets. She looked away and started for the alley again.

"I swear I heard somebody call my name." She said then fear crept up her spine.

*Oh My Gosh! Is it those people that Ara said that would hurt us?!* She thought and walked faster. She crossed the street and saw the alley, she quickly turned into it and in no time she teleported back to the house.


-

"What's taking her so lon-AHHHH!!!!" Eunbi squealed in fright. Jieun appeared right in front of her and she felt her heart drop in fear.

"LEE JIEUN!!!!"

Eunbi yelled and the other girls chuckled.

"Oops sorry."

Jieun said and sat the cupcakes down on the living room table. Ara came out of her room and sighed when she saw Jieun was back safely. The girls were already munching on the delicious cupcakes.

"Mmhhmm... This tastes just like my mom's cup-" Soyoon mewled but quickly saddened at what she said. The other girls stopped eating and looked up. They all slumped down on the couch and Ara saddened. She knew the girls missed their families, but with the danger of having the portals opened, their safety is inevitable.

*But having them stay here, will not help them either.* She thought and quickly made decision.

"Uh uhm." Ara cleared and the girls looked up.

"Oh... here you go." Jieun forced a smile and gave Ara a cupcake. She took it and sat down on the chair.

"You girls can go back to Seoul." Ara said and the girl’s heads abruptly went towards her. Smiles were creeping up to their faces.

"But on one condition..." Ara trailed and the girls waited in anticipation, "You girls need to come back her at least three times a week and when the eclipses come. Jieun can teleport you here. Okay?!" Ara said sternly and quickly lost her balance due to the girls lunging at her in happiness.

"AHHHHHH!!!! THANK YOU!!!"

The girls all yelled and Ara chuckled.

"Okay.. okay... let me breathe." Ara said and the girls pulled away, "But you better remember not to let your temper get the best of you." She eyed Soyoon and the girl sheepishly smiled raising her hand in salute.

"I'll be good! I promise!" Soyoon beamed and Ara rolled her eyes.

"Silly girl... And you better not go around using your powers either. Especially you Soyoon, you need to figure out if people are actually talking to you before you answer." The other girls laughed and Soyoon sunk into the couch in embarrassment, but nodded either way.

"And that goes for all of you too. There are people who are just like us or even worse that are out to find you girls. Don't get deceived. They can sense supernatural activities a mile away. Other guardians aren't what they are ought to be. Remember that you all are the chosen ones, thus, the most powerful in the entire world. Be careful okay." Ara said worriedly. The girls felt a huge lump in their throats and felt the pressure of being 'the chosen ones' fall on them like a pile of bricks. They gulped and nodded in understanding.

Ara sighed, "Okay... come on. Help me prepare dinner then let's go to bed. You'll be leaving tomorrow." Ara said and got up. The girls glanced at each other and smiled in excitement and fear. Then got up and followed Ara to the kitchen.

-

"WAKE UP! WAKE UP!!!! IT'S TIME TO GO!"

Soyoon was flying from bed to bed, shaking it furiously to wake the other girls up. Eunbi shot up and saw that it was still dark outside. She opened her palm and light illuminated the room. Jieun and Dayoung got up right after.

"It's still dark outside... Why are we getting up already?" Dayoung asked.

"I dunno... I heard Ara call me in my head and she told me to wake you guys up." Soyoon inquired. The other three girls grumbled and laid back down on the bed. But quickly shot up when the door burst open.

"What the heck was that?!" Jieun yelled in fright and Soyoon grinned closing her palm. "Just the wind." She said and blew the girls blankets off of them. 

"Now come on!" Soyoon said and left the room.

"That girl is going to drive me crazy." Eunbi said and they got off the bed reluctantly.

 

They headed to the living room with nothing but their old clothes folded neatly in their hands. Ara looked up at them.

"Oh... you guys need to wear those clothes again." She said and chuckled.

"Huh... But they’re all bloody and dirty." Dayoung said in disbelief.

"Well... If you wear the clothes that I lent you, then people will know that you stayed somewhere and would ask questions." Ara said matter of factly.

"But they're still gonna ask where we’ve been anyways and we don't exactly look the same as before." Eunbi said pointing to their new look and Ara shook her head.

"That's where Soyoon comes in. Mind control comes in handy." Ara smiled. The girls nodded in understanding.

"But still, they're dirty..." Jieun whined.

"UGHHHH... you're such a girly girl now... I don't like it." Soyoon whined. Ara laughed. "Okay. I'll take care of it. Stand still." The girls complied. Ara snapped her fingers and in a flash the girls were dressed back in their old clothes but this time they were as good as new. No blood stains or dirt found. They beamed in awe.

"I still can't get over at how cool you are!" Dayoung said.

Ara chuckled,"Okay come on. We need you girls out of here before the sun rises. We don't want people seeing you teleporting her and there." Ara ushered them out the house. "Gather at somebody's house and have the parents come there, that way it would be easier for Soyoon to control them. Okay?" The girls nodded.

"Let's go to Eunbi's" Soyoon said and they all agreed. The girls held each other’s hands and smiled at Ara.

"Remember no powers!" Ara said and the girls lunged at her giving her a hug.

"Be careful." She whispered and the girls nodded.

"Thank you." They pulled out of the hug and held each other's hands again. Then in a blink of an eye, they were gone.

"Good luck girls..."

Ara sighed and went back into her now empty house.

-

"Kai! What's going on?"

Baekhyun was over at Kai's house. Something was bothering his friend and he was determined to know what it was.

"Nothing."

"Stop lying!"

"I'm not." Kai shrugged and sighed. He knew Baekhyun would just keep asking.

"Okay... I think I saw Jieun yesterday." Kai whispered. Baekhyun's eyes almost bulged out.

"WHERE??!!!" Kai winced, "Hush down... I don't even know if it was her. She looked... different." Kai said confused.

"Different? How?" Baekhyun urged him to go on.

"I don't know! I'm pretty sure I was just hallucinating. She vanished in thin air." Kai said sadly. Baekhyun looked at his friend in pity.

"Jieun got you sprung man." Baekhyun chuckled only to earn a glower from Kai. "WHOA! Okay, I was just trying to make you feel bette-"

* BRRING!!! BRRING!!!*

 Baekhyun was cut off by his cell phone ringing.

"Yoboseyo?... Oh.. Samchon... WHAT!? Okay! I'll be there as fast as I can!" Baekhyun hung up the phone. Kai looked at him questioningly.

"The girls... They're back!" Baekhyun said and Kai's eyes were about to pop out of his sockets.

"Come on." Baekhyun grabbed his coat and headed for the door. Kai grabbed his shoulder.

" that.. Were teleporting there." Kai said then they vanished.

-

Mr. Park hung up his phone and smiled.

"I just called Baekhyun, He's on his way." He said.

"The other parents are on their way too..." Eunbi's real and step mom beamed in happiness.

"Mom... you can let go of me now... I'm not going anywhere." Eunbi's mom has been crushing her with hugs ever since she walked in the door. Well... not just her, the other girls too.

"Where have you guys been?!" Her mom asked.

"We'll tell you once the others get here." Soyoon firmly said and they instantly dropped the topic. Eunbi mouthed Soyoon a thank you and she nodded. The door burst open and the girls jumped up startled.

"Oppa!!!"

The girls beamed except for Eunbi and ran to him giving him a hug. He pulled out of the hug and stared at them.

"You girls look... different." Baekhyun was eyeing their new hair colors.

"Like it?!" Dayoung asked. Baekhyun smiled and nodded softly.

Kai was frozen in his spot, staring at Jieun.

*It was her! Her hair. She was the girl I saw at the town. But, how did she vanish in thin air.* Kai thought. Soyoon heard his thoughts and glanced at him alarmed. She glanced back at Jieun. *HE SAW HER?! LEE JIEUN! YOU'RE DEAD!*