03. Date

The Path

It's been four days since school started and now that it's Friday, the girls couldn't even be more happier to let loose over the weekend... Well except for one. "Unni!!!! Please! Can't you just skip soccer practice for one day and hangout with me?!!!! Pleasseeeeeee!!!!” Soyoon was begging Jieun to spend this Saturday with her ever since first period ended. Her parents went on a business trip and her house would be empty until next Monday.

"I told you I can't! I'm the captain! You know that!" Soyoon groaned in agitation.

"Ask Dayoung."

"She has dance practice."

"Eunbi?"

"Her parents are taking her to some kind of meeting." Jieun shrugged and smiled mischievously, "Then maybe if you show me your aegyo, I might conside-"

Jieun was cut off by an arm around her shoulder. She looked up and saw the person she would've rather seen in hell right now.

"Hey Baby~!" Kai smirked.

"Kim Jongin. I swear, if you don't get your arm off me right now, you would be miss--", "Shhh.... Chill, baby. You're gonna make it worse for yourself. You know you look y when you’re mad." He winked and ran away. Jieun blushed a deep shade of red. Annoyed, she chased him down the hallway.

"Come back here!"

"LAY! YOU OWE MEEEEE!" Kai yelled.

 *Lay?* Soyoon looked confused then felt arms circling her waist, hugging her from behind. She cracked a smile already knowing who it is.

"You know you could've just walked up to me like a normal person would. You just risked your friends life, you know that right." She earned a chuckle from him and she spun around to face him.

"Well. I wanted you all to myself." He said and winked. Soyoon swore if he didn't have his arms holding her, she would've been already on the floor swooning at the way his voice sounded. She just rolled her eyes and stepped away from him.

"What are you doing tomorrow?" he asked. Soyoon was jumping up and down on the inside. *Finally something to do!!!!!! No more loneliness.*

"Nothing." he beamed at her response.

"Well. You do now. I'll pick you up at 7 p.m." he stated.

"Okay." she gave him a shy smile and walked away.

Once she hit the corner and turned. She stopped and looked around to see if people were there.

 "ASA!!!!!!!!" she jumped in joy and left to look for Jieun. *Hopefully she hasn't killed Kai yet.... I swear, she should just go out with him already.* She rolled her eyes and chuckled.

-

           The day went by fast and the girls were already in dance class. Soyoon could not even fathom how happy she felt that she won't be alone this weekend plus the fact that she was going on a date with Lay. They weren't in a relationship, just mutual flirt friends, If that even made sense. People knew they weren't dating and if they did, she could care less. He was hot and so was she. They would be the power couple.

They've been hanging out ever since she came back from the U.S., which was her freshman year. He was a junior then and wouldn't even dare to talk to a freshman until a week later, she caught his eye. She would always have a cold and expressionless face, until she hung out with her friends, it's like she was a whole different person. He didn't even care that she was a freshman and asked her out first.

A week after their first date she got bumped up into a sophomore and was even in some of his classes. He found out from his friends that she was like a mini Einstein and it heightened his liking towards her. He tried asking her to be his girlfriend once and when he did, she turned him down immediately and acted indifferently towards him for the whole day. It's better than to have her near him than to never have her at all. He knows one day, she might just give in.

"BRIIINNNNGGG!!!!"

The bell that ended fourth period rung and everybody stopped dancing and went to the locker rooms to change.

"I heard somebody is going out with Mr. hot stuff tomorrow~~~~" Eunbi sung teasingly at Soyoon and the other girls made kissy faces at her.

"You guys know it isn't even like that with us. Were just hanging out." The other girls frowned and rolled their eyes.

"You might as well date him. He's been trying to pursue you for the past two years, yet you still don't budge." Jieun retorted.

"Says the girl who almost killed the guy that has been crushing on her since middle school this morning!" Soyoon smirked and earned a glare from Jieun.

"YOU WHAT??!!!!!" Dayoung and Eunbi said flabbergasted. Jieun looked down and mumbled, "He made me mad... and I wasn't even gonna hurt him anyways." She said in a low guilty voice.

"Yeah, if I didn't come and pry your hands off of his throat! You better be happy that Kai likes you so much and looks past all your violent rampages!" Soyoon said.

"Next time you do that, he might just stop trying and leave you alone. And then you'll miss him~~~~!" Eunbi sung.

Jieun rolled her eyes, "Yeah right!" She shut her locker and walked off. "See you guys Monday!"

The other girls could only shake their heads. "What are we gonna do with her?" Dayoung asked chuckling.

"I dunno. She's just PMSing!" the other girls laughed their butts off.

"YAHHHH!!! I can still hear you!!!!!" They stopped laughing and heard the door slam. *That girl will sooo regret everything she says* Soyoon thought and walked out of the building.

"Bye guys!"

"Bye Mrs. Zhang" The other girls ran away laughing. Soyoon just rolled her eyes and walked to her car.

When she got home , she walked in the house and slammed the door shut. All she could hear was an echo. She hates being lonely or alone for that matter. She walked up the stairs and into her room.

 *Might as well go to sleep, I'm not hungry anyways.* She went into the bathroom and took a bath. She got out and changed into her night clothes then laid down in her bed.

*A date with Lay tomorrow!!!*

"AHHHHH!!!!!" she screamed. Yet she stopped and thought about what her friends said. *I must be a handful. I wonder if he gets tired of just hanging out with me and not acknowledging his feelings… Sorry Lay* She sighed and closed her eyes deciding to just let sleep take over her.

-

            The next morning, Soyoon woke up extra energized. She knew it was going to be a good day and didn't want anybody else to ruin it. It was already 6:15 p.m. so she went to the bathroom to take a shower.

"What to wear?!" she hopped out of the shower and grabbed a towel. Walking in to her closet she picked out a simple flowery dress that stopped midway to her knees, a white cardigan and some cute flats. She decided on curling her hair today, and put minimal makeup on.

*Simplicity is key.* she smiled at herself while she looked in the mirror.

"Ding Dong" her thoughts were halted by the door bell. *He's here!!!*

She ran down the stairs in excitement and almost fell down the third step but quickly held on to the railing and caught herself. *Phew... thank God for quick reflexes.* She steadied herself and went to the door. She opened it and was greeted by a warm smile. *OMG!!!! Did he get hotter overnight* she kept staring.

"Hey beautiful. You ready?" he asked her and she snapped out of her thoughts and cleared .

"U-Uhm... Y-Yes." she said. *Way to stutter you dumb ! Now he thinks that I'm too easy.* She inwardly groaned but stopped when he chuckled, "I've been picking you up from your house ever since I could remember and you still stutter when I'm around." He stared at her.

"I-Im sorry...?" she said uncertainly earning another chuckle from him. "

Don't be..." he leaned in right next to her ear. If she looked his way, their lips would've touched.

"I think it's cute." he whispered in an, oh so y voice. Soyoon almost went crazy. He took her hand and led her to his car.

*What is he doing to me?!!! He's being extremely flirty today. If he keeps this up, I might just go crazy before the day ends.... I CAN'T TAKE THIS!!*

He opened the car door for her and let her in. She smiled and thanked him. He jumped in the other side and looked at her.

"Where do you want to go today?" he asked and stared at her intently. She got caught of guard by his stare and mouthed an 'I don't know'.

"Good!" he said. She looked at him in confusion.

"Because today... you're all mine." he gave her a heart stopping smile and she stiffened in her seat.

-

*Where are we?* Soyoon asked herself. All she saw was complete darkness. It took them a whole hour to come here and she was already growing agitated in the car ride since he wouldn't give her a straight answer on where they were headed to.

"Where are we?" she asked him this time. He got out of the car and she could barely see his face. She grew more annoyed since he wasn't saying anything.

"Yah! Lay! Were the heck are we? You better tel-" she got cut off by a bright light that shone from afar. Then she finally realized it.

They were at a lake and she saw a yacht near the dock. It was decorated with colorful lights and she could hear music coming from it. She couldn't hold back her smile and looked at Lay. He was staring back at her with a sly smile,"You like it?" he asked. "What do you think?!" Soyoon giggled.

He slightly chuckled grabbing her by the waist and led her to the yacht.

            They got on board and she could just feel butterflies in her tummy. There was a table set for two people and the pathway was filled with roses. He led her to the table and pulled out a chair so Soyoon could sit down.

"Thank you" She smiled. Then he sat himself across from her.

"This is so pretty! Thank you!"  she said to him.

"All for you." She turned a deep shade of red and couldn't look him straight in the eye.

            *I just wanted to spend this Saturday with someone to keep me from getting lonely. Yet he just had to do all of this.* She thought and stared up at him. He called over the waiter and they brought out the food.

"Enjoy." the waiter said and left them alone on the top deck.

"You didn't have to do all this. I would’ve been fin-"

"I wanted to do it and it's been a while since we last were together. I just wanted to make it special." He smiled at her and she blushed like a tomato. They started eating their food.

            Once they were done Lay got up and stretched his hand out to her. She took it and was hoisted up to her feet. Lay led her to the railings of the yacht and they both looked out the lake.

"It's so pretty!" she gasped and she looked up at him. He was gazing down at her so intently. They locked eyes for what felt like forever.

*Soyoon! look away!... OMG he is so gorgeous.Don't!*

She got startled by the fireworks in the sky and jumped a little. He held her waist and smiled.

            They were looking at the fireworks together and she could see him glancing down at her. *Don't look, don't look.... it would just be awkward if you do..* She mentally hesitated yet, she wanted to so bad.

"Soyoon~ah.." She heard him say. She slowly looked up to him and realized that his face was so close to hers. He cupped her face in his hand. She gulped in nervousness. He leaned in closer, initiating a kiss.

*N-no... I c-can't* Soyoon thought and pushed him lightly and looked away.

"I t-told you I c-can't" she hated herself for stuttering.

"I'm sorr-"

"It's fine, I just.... I don't feel good. Can you take me home please?" She cut him off and flashed him a warm smile.

"S-Sure..." He awkwardly led her out of the yacht. *Way to go Lay, you just couldn't hold it in huh?!* He thought.

            While walking back to the car Lay was leading the way and Soyoon gently grabbed a hold of his arm. He stopped and froze.

"You do know that I like you too right? I-I just can-" She said softly but got cut off by Lay.

"You don't have to explain. I'm just bummed at the fact that I got rejected twice already. My reputation just got tainted." He chuckled nudging her trying to ease up the tension. *Thanks for the effort Lay. But you're just making me feel worse.... Just go with it Soyoon.* she cracked a smile.

            The ride home was awkwardly quiet and she was so happy when she saw the parking lot of her house appear in their view. She got out and he walked her to the door. "Thanks for today. I had fun." Soyoon said convincingly. Lay only looked down. She held his chin up to face her.

"I really did." She looked him in the eye and gently leaned in to kiss his cheek. He smiled at the gesture and opened the door for her. "Time to go in. Have a good night sleep." He gently pushed her in the door and she closed it.

            Lay walked back to his car and was grinning from ear to ear. He gently cupped his cheek. *Better than nothing.* Soyoon was leaning on the front door and let tears that she has been trying so hard to keep fall.

*Chae Soyoon. Why are you such a coward...? You always have to ruin everything.* She walked to her room and for once was happy that her parents were gone. She didn't want them to worry about her. She laid down on her bed and cried herself to sleep.

*It's time to move on Soyoon....*