04. Reunited?

The Path

 "Appa. Can you please tell me where were goiiinnnnggggg~~~!!" Eunbi whined in the passenger seat. She just got home from school a while ago and her dad told her to get ready because they were going somewhere.

"We’re picking up your mom." She grew confused, "But Diane is at the house. And you said she wasn-"

"Your real mom." Eunbi was caught off guard and got quiet.

"Oh... o-okay." She hasn't seen her mom in five years except for the occasional online video chats, but that was about it. Her parents got divorced when she was six and were living under the same roof until she was ten.

            Then her dad met her step mom, Diane. She didn't have a problem with it. She just wanted her parents to be happy. Her mom left for the U.S. a year after and when she left, her dad married Diane. Her parents were never on bad terms, just having little fights over random things but they were still friends, just as they were when they were married.

            "I haven't talked to her in a while. I hope she hasn't gained weight. Last time I heard she was stuffing her face with everything she could gra-owwwww" He earned a hit on the arm from her daughter. She chuckled, "Appa, I'm gonna tell mom what you said and you're going to regret it. She was the one who taught me how to fight. Have you forgotten that?" she teased.

"Trust me I haven't" he glared at her while rubbing his arm. *This kid is getting stronger by the day. That actually hurt.* He thought and chuckled. Eunbi was looking out the window while her dad was driving.

            *But why is she coming now? She never comes home unless it's an emergency. I hope everything's alright.*

"Is she coming alone?" Eunbi asked. Her mom never liked flying. ESPECIALLY when she's alone.

"Not quite." he replied. *Huh...? Does she have a boyfriend.* She assumed. She beamed at the thought and her dad chuckled at her reaction.

*Oh you'll be happy once we get there Eunbi.... I hope..* he thought.

-

            They arrived at the airport five minutes before her mom's plane landed. So she went to the restroom to freshen up. She needed to make a good impression on her soon to be step dad. She couldn't control her excitement at the thought.

*Umma has a Boyfriend! AHHHHHH* She squealed and got looks from the other girls in the restroom. She lowered her head and mumbled a 'sorry'. Once they left, she face palmed herself. "Wow Eunbi. Your such a dork." she said to herself.

 

            She checked her appearance in the full length mirror and smiled. She was wearing her favorite peach colored blouse, white ripped short shorts, her favorite white stilettos and let her long hair hang down her back.

* I look goooooood.* She laughed at herself and left the restroom. On her way back to the car she saw her mom's figure walking to her dad. She ran to her, "Mommmyyyyyy!" she looked ridiculous and earned stares from the people around her, but she could care less.

            She reached her mom and jumped on her giving her a back hug.

"H-Hey honey, I m-miss you t-too. But please don't kill me." Her mom said between breaths.

"Oh. haha. sorry." She realized she was holding her mom a little too tightly and let go. "It's fine.... Look at you!" Her mom scanned her up and down and teared up at how big her little girl became.

"Umma... Don't cry... You're going to make me cry too." Eunbi replied.

"Okay, okay, I'll stop. But look at you! You got so pretty and tall. Not to mention strong." Her mom said and chuckled.

"Too strong..." her dad mumbled and rolled his eyes.

            She shot him a glare and smirked, "Umma! Appa said you look fat~" Eunbi sang and her dad looked at her in alarm.

"Yah... Park Eunbi... I didn't sa- OOFFFF" He was stopped by a punch in the stomach. Her mom was glaring at him and she was just laughing in victory.

"David Park!!! Stop digging your own grave!" Her mom said.

"I'm s-sorry" he said in staggered breathe. They stopped laughing and Eunbi noticed something.

               "Umma! Where's your boyfriend?" she said.

"MY WHAT...?"

"HER WHAT..?" They both looked surprised.

"Appa said you were with someone so I assumed it was your boyfriend. " she said innocently. Her parents laughed at her, "Your mom doesn't have a boyfriend, why would she. She does-" Her dad realized what he said and saw her mom glaring at him.

"You really want to die don't you!! And why didn't you tell her who was coming with me?" she said half yelling.

"Well I didn't think she would assume it was your 'boyfriend'." he said mockingly.

"Well...... Is somebody gonna tell me wh-"

 "Ehem..." she got cut off by somebody clearing their throat. She saw her mom flash an extremely wide smile. *Creepy* she turned around and froze. *What the...?*

"Hi Eunbi~" the guy said with a warm smile.

"B-Baekhyun...?" she stuttered and froze. *BYUN BAEKHYUN!!!!!! Why are you here?... He's so hands-... Yah. yah. Eunbi stop!*

            He smirked at her.

 *Yah! Wipe that smirk off your face.* she glared at him. She stomped off to the car, "Let's go. I want to go home."  She said coldly and slammed the car door. Shocked, everybody was silent. Her mom walked to the car first and sat in the passenger seat. Then her dad and Baekhyun followed after.

            Once the car started to move. Everybody was silent. Baekhyun glanced at Eunbi and sighed. She was staring out the window. *I knew it was going to be hard, but I didn't know it was going to be THIS hard.* Baekhyun thought and looked away. Her mom was staring at them from the rear view mirror. She glanced at Eunbi's dad and he glanced back. She mouthed a 'this is not going to be easy' and he shot her a knowing look.

"Baekhyun." her mom started.

"Neh?" he answered.

"Why don't you stay at their house for the meantime?"

Eunbi looked up quickly and shook her head at her mom. Her mom just smiled and shrugged.

"You haven't paid for your hotel room yet and it would be a waste if you did and they have a perfectly good guest room." Her mom glanced at her and if looks could kill... she would've died right there. Her dad just chuckled.

"I would’ve taken one of the rooms they have but I already paid for my hotel suite." She said and chuckled.

            Baekhyun could only shake his head and smile at her. He knew she was doing this on purpose. *Thanks auntie. I need all the help I can get.... Eunbi won't be happy when she hears the news.*

"Yeah Baekhyun, why don't you come stay with us for the meantime, while you look for a place to stay." Eunbi's dad implied.

*Stay????.... For how long exactly?* Eunbi thought.

"Or better yet... You can just stay there." her mom flashed Baekhyun a smile and winked at him.

"WHAT...???!!!"Eunbi protested.

"Oh... Here’s my stop.." Her mom hopped off the car quickly and got her luggage from the back before Eunbi's dad could even get out the car and help her. She knew Eunbi was about to go crazy.

"Bye guys! See you tomorrow." She ran into the hotel entrance like she was being chased by a bunch of killers. "YAHHH!!!! UMMA!!!!.... Aish." she settled back down in her seat.

"Next stop. Park's Estate!" Her dad tried to ease up the tension but failed miserably. Eunbi was not happy. AT ALL.

*Her mom just had to make her mad before I could tell her the news. She really wants me to die.* Her dad sighed.  

-

               They arrived at their house  in about half an hour. Her dad was taking out the luggage from the back and saw Eunbi head to the door.

"Eunbi~ah. Why don't you show Baekhyun the room he's staying in."

Eunbi only rolled her eyes and nodded at him to follow. Baekhyun grabbed his luggage and looked at Mr. Park, "Help me!" he pleaded.

 "She'll ease up sooner or later, just give her some time." he patted his back and went in the house with Baekhyun followed after.

            Once he got up the stairs he saw Eunbi waiting in front of the guest room.

"This is the only guest room that's made up right now. The others are a little dusty. If you don't like it, just tell me and I'll prepare another one for you." She said in a low voice.    

"I-It's fine.Thank you" He stuttered and noticed that it was right across from her room. She gave him a slight nod and walked away. He grabbed her arm and she looked back staring at him. He pulled back and awkwardly put his arm on the back of his neck, "Uhmmm... can we talk?" he asked.

"Hmph... You're funny." she said sarcastically and rolled her eyes.

 "Please.." he pleaded.

*How can I say no when you do that?... Ugghhhhh...*

"Fine. But yo-"

"Dinner's ready!! Kids, come down!" Her step mom hollered. She glanced at Baekhyun and shrugged, "Go take a shower first and change. I'll tell her you'll be down in a bit. And we can talk after we eat." She said and flashed him a slight smile.

"Thanks." he smiled at her. She headed down stairs and he went into his room.

            "Umma... Do you need any help." she asked her step mom. "Uhu! You can help me set the table." She picked up the plates and utensils and headed to the table.

"Your friend upstairs looks nice." Her mom said. She just nodded in agreement.

"Your dad said you used to be bestfriends. What happened?" she asked.

"He moved." she sighed and finished setting up the table.

"You still could've kept in contact with him." Her step mom implied.

"I did." She sat down on a chair,"…He didn't." She held back her tears. Her step mom patted her back and tried to console her. They heard footsteps running down the stairs and dropped the topic.

            "HMMMMM.... What smells so good?" her dad asked staring hungrily at the table. "Just sit down already." Her step mom chuckled.

"Where's Bacon.... I-I mean Baekhyun?" Her dad asked.

Jieun winced at the nickname she used to call him. Her dad awkwardly looked at Diane to change the subject. She hit his head and glared at him.

"He'll come down in a bit. He's just taking a shower." She told them.

"Well... okay then. Let's eat!" Diane said and her dad quickly dug into the food. She wasn't that hungry. Diane noticed and put some food on her plate. She thanked her with a smile.

            They heard footsteps coming down the stairs and saw Baekhyun, freshly showered. *He looks good... Last time I saw him, he was shorter than me. Now, he looks EXTRA tall.*

"Come on Baekhyun. Pull up a seat and let's eat. I'm starving!" Her dad said. Baekhyun awkwardly took a seat right beside her and he glanced at her and she looked down quickly.

            They started eating and it was so quiet, all you could hear was the clanking of the forks against the plates.

"So... Baekhyun... How's it been going? It's been years since I've seen you." Jieun’s dad asked.

"I've been good uncle. School's been hectic but I'm glad that I'm changing schools now." Eunbi's ears perked up at what he said. *Changing schools? I wonder where.* She thought.

"Oh yeah. I almost forgot… Eunbi?" She looked up at her dad.

 "Can you help Baekhyun out on Monday, he might get lost." Her dad chuckled and looked at Baekhyun.

"Help out how? And get lost where?" She asked him with one eyebrow up.

"He didn't tell you? He's going to your school from now on." She could almost feel her world crashing down on her like a pile of bricks. *Dad please say your kidding.* She looked at him hopefully. Her eyes faltered at the realization that she would have to see Baekhyun EVERYDAY. She stood up and headed to the stairs.

"I'm not hungry anymore. I'll be in my room." she trudged up the stairs and into her room .

She looked out her window. *Baekhyun.... I just got used to you being gone and now you just had to come back in my life.* She felt a tear run down her cheek and laughed at herself. *Park Eunbi. I thought you were done crying about him. You're so pathetic.* And then her tears fell down uncontrollably.

            Back in the kitchen, Baekhyun lost his appetite and excused himself to his room. When he got upstairs he stood in front of Eunbi's door and was about to knock but hesitated when he heard sobs coming from her room.

*Is it that hard to even look at me for five minutes...? I'm sorry Eunbi~ah.* He walked back into his room and looked back at her door.

*I guess I’ll talk to you tomorrow... goodnight.* He slightly smiled and closed his door.

-

"Well that went well!!!" Her dad said still stuffing his face with food. Her step mom just shot him a glare.

"WHAT?.... It could've been worse. I could've been dead by now!" he stated and she looked at him in disbelief. *This guy is hopeless!*