Chapter 7

w i n g m a n

“Party at my place. 7PM, L.Joe.” CAP said as he passed L.Joe by in the hallway.
L.Joe nodded and looked at his watch.
It read 4:46pm. It was a Friday, finally.
But he had nothing to do for 2 hours. He leaned against his locker and took a deep breath.

He wondered who was invited to the party.
Hopefully some decent girls…

‘Speaking of girls… I wonder if Saeyeon failed that math test.’ His thoughts began to wander.
They didn’t get much studying done the day before and when Saeyeon said she was bad at math, she had really meant it.
He almost felt guilty.

Almost.

.

Saeyeon looked at her math score.

A big, red
42.

She wanted to bang her head into a locker and forget math.
Stupid L.Joe… All he had done at the mall was eat and look at shoes.
And instead of letting her study on her own at least … He made her tell him her opinions about his choices.

She should have never let Nana stay with Chunji. She probably didn’t study at all and on top of that, she had probably not even slept a wink out of excitement… But she had gotten a 98.
Typical Nana.

She opened her locker and saw the grey scarf. It reminded her of the blonde jerk who made her fail her math test.
She took the grey scarf out of her locker, having her mind set on giving it back to him as soon as she could.

Now she had to retake the at 6PM with all the other failures in Teacher Jung’s class.
Nana was going to some sort of party at 7, invited by Chunji – of course – , and she couldn’t refuse.
And because she was going to go looking for a new dress, she couldn’t stay after school to help Saeyeon with math.

She scrunched the scarf as hard as she could in her hand. 
What a crappy day. 
Well first, she had been late to gym and she had to run laps – outside. It was freezing and she was in shorts and a t-shirt.
She felt feverish by third period and fell asleep in English class.
Of course, Teacher Park noticed Saeyeon when she fell asleep. Never Nana, but always Saeyeon.

It didn’t even matter that Saeyeon knew near fluent English after living in London for a few years when she was young.
She was still in trouble and had to help dust chalkboard erasers…
And of course, this beautiful 42 had graced her test paper.

She couldn’t be more depressed about the way this day had turned out.
She saw L.Joe leaning on his locker as she walked across the senior floor.
She angrily pushed the scarf into his chest and walked off in a huff.

L.Joe spazzed, unaware of what had just happened.
All he knew was that someone had just… punched him and walked off. Others were looking curiously as well.
He was L.Joe after all. Anything involving him made heads turn.

He looked at the grey scarf in his hands.
“Saeyeon?” He asked aloud, scanning the crowd.
He noticed a paper drop out of the scarf as he unraveled it to fold it neatly.

It was a brightly marked math test with a big 42 circled at the top.
‘Name: Han Saeyeon’
He groaned mentally.

He rarely felt guilty.
He hated guilt.

And yet it came headstrong anyway.