Chapter 10

w i n g m a n

“I don’t think this is where they’re holding the party…” Saeyeon muttered as L.Joe stopped at Shinchon’s shopping area.
“They’re not. But I’m not letting you show up in that.” L.Joe replied coolly and pointed to her school uniform.

“Then I’ll just go home.” Saeyeon insisted.
L.Joe ignored her comment and dragged her inside a store.

“How may I help you?” The lady inside the store asked politely.
“Miss, can you get a simple party dress set with heels for this girl? Nothing too formal. It’s for a party.” L.Joe asked as he pushed Saeyeon towards the lady while he took a seat.

“She’s quite small… We’ll see what we have that is party-appropriate for her.” The lady replied, going straight for the petite section.
Saeyeon sighed and gave L.Joe a look. She wasn’t going to forgive him about the math test so easily.

The lady held up a strapless black dress that had a full skirt with layers and lace.
“Too over the top.” L.Joe said, rejecting it immediately with a connoisseur air.

“Try this.” The lady handed Saeyeon a navy strapless dress with taupe, red and white prints. It had a long crimson zipper running down the back and gold buttons down the front.
Saeyeon had to admit, it was very pretty.

The lady practically forced her into the changing room and Saeyeon stripped out of her uniform.
She tried the dress on and it fit her well – but it was slightly short. It barely reached her mid-thigh.

“What size are you in shoes?” The lady asked.
“220.” Saeyeon replied politely.

“Try these on.” The lady stuffed a classy pair of taupe suede heels underneath the door. They were like classic platform heels with bows at the center of the foot.
“They’re so high…” Saeyeon complained, looking at the length of the heel.
“Only 4 inches, miss. You’ll be the perfect height to accompany your boyfriend.” The lady replied.

L.Joe coughed at hearing ‘boyfriend’.

“Miss, we’re not dating…” Saeyeon muttered through the changing room door. 
“Oh, I just presumed… I’m sorry.” The lady apologized.

Saeyeon sighed and stepped into the heels and came out of the changing room.
L.Joe looked up, expecting a lot less than what he saw.

“It’s um … fine.” L.Joe said awkwardly, handing the lady cash quickly.
“Let’s go. We’re late.” He said, feeling rushed and clumsy.

Saeyeon took one final look at herself in the mirror before he dragged her out onto his motorcycle.
She didn’t want to sound vain – even though it was only a thought – but she thought she looked … kind of good.
She never knew heels could do such wonders to her calves.

L.Joe tried not to look at Saeyeon’s legs.
They never looked so long before. She was a short girl. But now they looked miles long.
He took a deep breath.
He was never flustered around girls. He wouldn’t start now.

“Hold on.” He said speaking smoothly this time.
He felt her arms around him and took another breath before he sped towards CAP’s house.

‘At least I know there’ll be at least one decent girl at the party…’ He admitted.

.

“Dude, you’re finally here and …” CAP looked at Saeyeon next to L.Joe. “You brought a date?” He asked excitedly.

Niel suddenly popped in to take a good look at Saeyeon.
Saeyeon smiled nervously.

CAP pulled L.Joe forward and asked, “Isn’t that the girl you asked me to search up a few days ago?” It was inaudible to everyone except L.Joe.
“Um, yeah… It’s not important.” L.Joe grumbled.

“Hi, I’m Niel. I’m a first year student.” Niel introduced himself to Saeyeon, excited about L.Joe’s love affair.
“Um… Hello… I’m Saeyeon and I’m in my second year…” She replied shyly.
“You’re really pretty.” Niel said straightfowardly, completely out of the blue.

“Stop flattering her.” L.Joe muttered to himself.

“Karam’s sister is here… Just thought you’d want to know.” CAP murmured to L.Joe.
“… Lizzy?” L.Joe asked in a hushed tone.
“The one and only.”

L.Joe nodded and decided this was his cue to leave the room.