Chapter 29

w i n g m a n

“Saeyeon!”

Saeyeon turned around, hearing a voice she couldn’t identify.
“L-Lizzy…” She stuttered, seeing the pretty girl she hadn’t seen in nearly a year now.

Lizzy smiled and pulled Saeyeon into an unexpected hug.
“How have you been?”

“Great.” Saeyeon replied with a genuine smile, immediately thinking of L.Joe.
“That’s good to hear – did you follow my advice?” 
“Huh?” She was confused. She didn’t remember anything like that. She wracked her mind and remembered.

‘Remember – do everything in your ability when going after the person you love. And you’ll always be satisfied.’ 
Saeyeon smiled and nodded.
“Yeah, I remember. I don’t think I followed it so well, but everything turned out pretty good.” She said with a chuckle.

Lizzy laughed. 
“Where’s Mika? Is he with you?” Saeyeon asked curiously.
“We… broke up two months ago.” Lizzy replied with a smile. “Don’t feel sorry for me or anything. It was for the best; I broke up with him.”
“Can I ask why? Sorry if I’m being too nosy.”
“Not at all,” Lizzy chuckled. “I realized I liked someone else.”
“Oh, who? Is he goodlooking?” Saeyeon asked jokingly.
“Saeyeon, I need to you help me out here… I think I like L.Joe again.”

Saeyeon froze. Lizzy liked L.Joe? 
How was she supposed to break it to Lizzy that they were together now?

Lizzy grinned and suddenly burst into laughter.
“I’m kidding! I know you two are dating. Goodness – I sounded serious right?” She said between laughs. “Mika’s actually in that store right there, getting something for his sister’s birthday.”
Saeyeon hesitated and then smiled in relief. “God, Lizzy – I don’t see you in a year and you try and kill me.”

“Where is that blonde boyfriend of yours anyway?” 
Saeyeon shrugged. She never liked very clingy relationships. “He should be somewhere in the neighborhood.” She replied casually.
“Call him! And Chunji, too. Let’s go on a triple date!” Lizzy said with a smile.

Saeyeon sighed fondly and pulled out her phone. L.Joe was speed dial #3 – she still had Nana as #2, and of course voicemail was #1.
“Yeah, Lizzy’s in town – we’re all going to eat dinner together.” She said through the phone. 
“… Nah, I’m good,” came the reply.
As much as Saeyeon loved hearing L.Joe’s voice, she hated hearing his dull, unenthusiastic responses.

“Yah, L.Joe, you better come now or else I’m going to kidnap your girlfriend and take her with me.” Lizzy shouted loudly enough so he could hear.
Saeyeon smiled as she recognized L.Joe’s sigh of defeat.

.

“Nana, I think this is my first time talking to you. Nice to meet you.” Lizzy said happily, giving Nana a friendly hug.
“You’re really pretty, goodness.” Nana complimented, inciting a slight argument.
“Not as pretty as you! Like, just look at yourself… You’re like a model.” Lizzy insisted as Nana wildly denied it.

Saeyeon sat still, noticing how her looks were so dull compared to her two friends’.
“I think you’re prettiest.” L.Joe scoffed at the “fight”. He wasn’t the type to display affections, so he held her hand underneath the table.

Saeyeon smiled. “You don’t have to lie.” She said. But she felt happy just hearing it.
“Fine, I’ll stop lying. You’re really ugly. Damn.” L.Joe said jokingly. Saeyeon gave him a mock glare.
“But… I think you’re still alright.” He continued with the jokes. She lightly punched him and he grinned back.

“Guys, get a room, seriously.” Chunji said with a mischievous smile.
“Nah, Saeyeon says she won’t go that far with me.” L.Joe said in a sarcastically sad manner, earning another punch from his girlfriend.
“I never said that!” Saeyeon denied. Suddenly, she realized that implied something quite naughty and she furiously shook her head. “Not saying I would!” She added quickly.

L.Joe grinned and squeezed her hand tighter.