Chapter 30

w i n g m a n

Saeyeon watched Nana feed Chunji another spoonful of mashed potatoes.
“Mmm… It tastes even better when it’s from you.” Chunji gushed.

L.Joe rolled his eyes. He wasn’t into any sort of mushy gestures.
He noticed Mika and Lizzy looking passionately into the other’s eyes. It was getting slightly awkward now. It wasn’t like he was a third wheel; he did have Saeyeon after all… But the whole third-wheel feeling was definitely settling in.
He looked to his left and sure enough, Saeyeon was looking at her toes – like she always did when she felt awkward or nervous.

“Guys, I think you guys should go across the street to that erm… Love Hotel… And do what you’re doing now … over there.” L.Joe said, trying to break the tension.
This was not really a fun dinner. He knew it was probably going to be like this, and that’s why he had rejected the idea when Saeyeon had mentioned it on the phone.

Saeyeon had thought they would all be very friendly and casual while sharing laughs.
This was definitely not part of the plan.

“Oh gosh, L.Joe – if you were just a little more affectionate, you wouldn’t think we’re being so mushy.” Nana said, looking at Chunji adoringly. L.Joe tried not to gag.
“It’s true. When you’re a part of these kinds of gestures … you don’t find anything wrong with them.” Lizzy agreed, snuggling into Mika’s shoulder.

Saeyeon rolled her eyes. She didn’t need L.Joe to do anything like that. She thought him occasionally holding her hand or kissing her forehead once in a while was enough.

L.Joe exhaled deeply. He looked over at Saeyeon who was in the middle of rolling her eyes. Was she just doing that so he’d feel better about not being so openly affectionate? He couldn’t help but feel a little bad about his neglect.
He could be affectionate if he tried. It’d take a little effort and it probably would feel quite awkward at first, but he could probably become an expert at being affectionate. He was a quick learner.

Lizzy sighed. “L.Joe, I think Saeyeon could use some love.” She said. 
Saeyeon quickly shook her head. “No, I’m fine. I like L.Joe the way he is.” She denied. There was a chorus of “Aw”s and L.Joe felt even worse, thinking she was probably just being considerate.

.

Saeyeon got off of L.Joe’s motorcycle – the old one. She liked the old one.
“Good night. Thanks for dropping me home.” She said, standing on her front porch, wondering if she could give him a kiss on the cheek before he left.
“Well, I wouldn’t want you getting at 11pm, would I?” He answered with a smirk.

Saeyeon quickly left him a peck on the cheek. She felt quite embarrassed by her boldness and she turned around to run inside.
L.Joe wouldn’t let her off that easily. He swiftly grabbed a hold of her wrist and pulled her into his arms. 
He held her tightly for a little while before speaking.

“I’m sorry that I can’t do this for you all the time.” He muttered, running his fingers through her short, silky hair.
Saeyeon smiled happily, cuddling her face into his chest. He smelled nice.
“I’m not a… sentimental kind of guy.” He continued, his voice down to a whisper. But she still heard it.

“I know. I love that about you.” Saeyeon murmured into his shoulder.

L.Joe smiled, feeling warm in the cold weather. He gave his girlfriend a little squeeze and lowered his head to her ear.
“I love you.” He said, nearly inaudibly. He cupped her chin and lifted her gaze to him.
He smirked in the beautiful way he always did and dipped his head, locking his lips onto hers. He had never kissed her as deep before and she seemed surprised at first. But she slowly eased into the rhythm and soon she didn’t want this night to end.

A few seconds later, Saeyeon gasped for breath and leaned on L.Joe for support. She was breathing heavily but smiling brightly all the same. 
“I love you, too.”