Chapter 4

w i n g m a n

“L.Joe… What are you doing here? I thought you were staying home.” CAP said casually.
“Hyung, you should be in class… Yet you’re here. We’re in the same situation, buddy.” L.Joe answered coolly.

CAP was older than him by a year, but he didn’t think much of it.
Their school went from kindergarten to university. CAP was in his first year of university, L.Joe and Chunji were in senior year.
Niel was in junior year and Changjo and Ricky were in freshmen year.

L.Joe and Chunji had been in this school together since kindergarten. They were best friends by default, almost.

“School’s almost over… I don’t think missing my last class is a big deal…” CAP answered, shrugging.
“I’m looking for someone named Saeyeon… Do you know where I can find her?” L.Joe asked, knowing that CAP had a supposedly “secret” database on nearly everyone in school.
CAP grinned curiously. “A girl? That’s so unlike you…”

L.Joe heaved another sigh. “Just find her, will you?”
CAP pulled out his laptop and fished out a folder hidden within quite a few folders.
He typed a lengthy password in a massive file opened, showing the names of nearly every student.

“That’s not creepy at all, Hyung…” L.Joe muttered.

He clicked on a “Han, Saeyeon” and her profile popped open, complete with picture, birthday, address and schedule.
“She’s one year younger than you… So she’s on the junior floor of the math department, room 7B. I didn’t know you were into younger girls.” CAP said, a huge smirk plastered on his face.

“Thanks, Hyung. But wipe that smile off. It’s not what you think it is.” L.Joe said, looking at his Rolex watch.
He had only ten minutes to get to the building before class ended. If he didn’t reach her in time, she’d probably end up at his house.
‘This would be a ing good time to have that damn motorcycle.’ He thought angrily.

He ran as fast as he could towards the science department. He wasn’t a track star, but he was pretty quick on his feet – literally, not figuratively.
He reached 7B with 3 whole minutes to spare. He sat down next to the door and took a breather.
The bell rang sooner than he expected and people began piling out of the rooms.

“Oh. My. Goodness. It’s L.Joe sunbae!” Hyerim, notably one of the girls that Saeyeon could not stand, was the first out the door and naturally the first one to see him.
“Are you here to see me, sunbae?” She asked, batting her long eyelashes.

Nana and Saeyeon looked at each other. L.Joe was in school?

“No, I’m not here to see you.” L.Joe said flatly, looking above all their heads to look for a small girl with reddish brown hair.
“Then who would you be looking for if it’s not me?” She asked, clearly jealous.

“None of your business. Now can you leave to whereever you need to go?” He said, shooing her away.
He groaned mentally. Short girls were so hard to find in crowds.

“L.Joe sunbae…” 
He remembered the voice and turned around to see Saeyeon behind him, holding up a bag with his scarf inside.

“How did you get behind me?” He asked.
“You didn’t see me pass you?” She asked in reply.
He shook his head and took the bag.

“Um… Thanks.” L.Joe said, feeling a little awkward for once in his life.
“It was nothing… Thank you for lending me it…” Saeyeon felt the same tension.

Saeyeon said a small goodbye and turned around, expecting Nana to be there at the lockers.
“Oh… Nana? Where’d you go?” She shouted.

“… She left a while ago.” L.Joe said, leaning against the wall, looking like the typical “cool” guy.
“With who? Where?” 
“Chunji. I thought you noticed. You sound like a lost child.” He answered, walking towards her.

“Let’s go.” He suddenly said, grabbing her wrist.
“Where?” She asked, completely caught off guard.
“To find them. Didn’t you want to?”

Saeyeon didn’t answer. She wasn’t sure. She didn’t want to get between their just blossoming relationship.
But at the same time, she didn’t think Nana was in a safe state of mind when she was with Chunji.

“Wait. Let me go get my jacket.” She said, pulling L.Joe back and pointing to the snow that was starting to fall outside. The snow was starting early this year.
L.Joe sighed and followed her to her locker. He noticed the whispers starting to abound around them.

Saeyeon pulled out a dark grey military-style jacket from her locker. It had the front collars folded over, leaving the chest and neck uncovered.
“Do you need a scarf?” L.Joe asked, noticing that her neck was once again bare.
She gave him a smile and shook her head ‘no’. She pulled out her own thin white scarf and gloves to match.
He shrugged. If it worked for her, then she could wear the skimpy scarf.

“L.Joe sunbae… Are you going somewhere with this girl?” Hyerim asked, looking at Saeyeon in disgust.
“Yeah, I am.” L.Joe answered swiftly, entertaining himself with her immaturity.

“Are you going out with her?” Hyerim said, her voice dripping with jealousy and anger.
“Well, I am going out with her now.” He answered smoothly. He took Saeyeon’s wrist, closed her locker shut and dragged her away from Hyerim.

___________________________________________________________