Chapter 13

w i n g m a n

L.Joe woke with a throbbing headache.
All he could remember was a blurry figure calling his name and he couldn’t remember anything else.
Of course, he remembered Lizzy’s boyfriend clearly. He wished he couldn’t.

The blurry figure had … red hair? Or was it dark brown? Both?
‘Saeyeon?’ He immediately thought of her.

“Crap.” He cursed as he remembered completely ditching her.

“How’re you feeling, Sleeping Beauty?” Chunji asked, inviting himself inside CAP’s room.
“Very funny. I feel like .” L.Joe said, not amused.
“Mentally or physically? Or both?” 
“You know it’s both; now go around somewhere else.” L.Joe snapped, rubbing his temples.

“Alright alright, sorry, man. But Nana didn’t do anything with me last night. She was all over Saeyeon.” Chunji grumbled.
“I’m sure Nana wasn’t “all over” Saeyeon. They’re not lesbian.” L.Joe snarled, not in the mood for Chunji’s complaints.

“Okay, I get it. Your love life is crappier than mine. Sorry.” Chunji said quietly with an apologetic look.
L.Joe sighed. Chunji could be annoying as hell, but they managed to stay best friends for over ten years for a reason – 
Chunji knew nearly everything about L.Joe and vice versa.

“Saeyeon went to go wake you up and save you from those freaks that were taking pictures with you… And in progress, she met Lizzy.” Chunji murmured, expecting L.Joe to burst in anger.

“I’m through with Lizzy.”, was all Chunji heard.

.

Saeyeon sat in front of her TV. Saturday morning cartoons were the best but she couldn’t concentrate on the show.

‘I’ve been friends with L.Joe for a very long time.’, was what Lizzy had said yesterday.
‘We were quite close, but we drifted apart. I even loved him at a point… But I don’t think he felt the same way.’

Saeyeon remembered how awkward she felt while Lizzy told her story. L.Joe had clearly called out her name last night and it wasn’t just a blind call for help… There was no mistaking the strain in his voice.

‘Don’t worry – I have no regrets. I’m perfectly happy right now with Mika. And Saeyeon, remember – do everything in your ability when going after the person you love. And you’ll always be satisfied.
And I really like you – I think we should keep in contact.’ Lizzy’s voice rang in her head.

Her phone began to buzz. She thought it was Lizzy and her heart got a quickstart.

‘Text Msg : Nana <3’ 
Saeyeon smiled in relief. It had been a while since she had received one of these from Nana. And now she wouldn’t have to face another awkward conversation with Lizzy.
It wasn’t like she didn’t like Lizzy. There wasn’t anything to dislike about her. She was pretty and friendly. But Saeyeon felt like something was always on her chest when she was with her.
Saeyeon decided to shake the feeling away and forget about it for now.

‘Let’s go iceskating today w/ CJ and LJ sunbae!!!’, the text message read.
Nana always sounded so excited in her text messages.

Saeyeon replied with a ‘maybe’ and went to her kitchen to find some breakfast… well, it was nearly 12, so a brunch sort of lunch?
There was nothing good to eat so she decided she’d go to the supermarket.

.

“That’ll be 34000 ₩ [$28.72.].” Saeyeon nodded and swiped her card.

“Saeyeon?” 
Saeyeon turned around to see Chunji holding some medicine in his hand.

“Chunji sunbae… Hello…” Saeyeon greeted nervously. She had never really spoken to Chunji before and it was more nerve-wracking than she thought it would be.

“Getting food?” Chunji asked, trying to sound casual and break the tension.
Saeyeon nodded and asked, “How about you? Are you sick?” She pointed to the medicine.

“Ah, this is for L.Joe… And his… um, how should I put this nicely…” Chunji bit his lip.
“Hangover?” Saeyeon answered. Chunji smiled sheepishly and nodded.

“Ah, one sec. It’s a text message from Nana.” He said, diving into his phone.
“She wants me to meet her at the park now. Could you give this to L.Joe for me? He’s still at CAP Hyung’s house and CAP will open the door for you. He knows who you are.” He said, paying for the hangover medicine and stuffing it in Saeyeon’s hands before she could refuse.

Saeyeon looked at the hangover medicine.
She didn’t really want to go see L.Joe today. She was tired of being dragged around by him and although had enjoyed his presence, she felt slightly out of place next to him.

He had spent a snowy day with her, bought her clothes and even picked her up from school.
He made her smile all the time and she had even made him laugh once.
If Lizzy was the one he liked, why did he treat her like … she was special?

She sighed. She couldn’t just leave L.Joe to suffer with his hangover.

‘I guess I’m spending another day with him.’

___________________________________________________________