Chapter 19

w i n g m a n

“Why’s Saeyeon sitting with Myungsoo?” Nana asked aloud.

Chunji sighed. Why was everything always about Saeyeon?
It was always “Saeyeon this”, “Saeyeon that”.

“Does it really matter?” He breathed, earning him a stern look from Nana.
“Yes! It’s Saeyeon – she’s my best friend. Chunji sunbae, you have to understand that I have other people in my life that are important to me.” She huffed.

Chunji wasn’t used to this kind of treatment. He enjoyed being the center of attention – especially when it came to the girl he liked.
“So Saeyeon sitting with Myungsoo is more important than enjoying your time with me?” He asked. This was unheard of.
Nana’s eyebrows furrowed and she put her hands on her hips. “Yes. Goodness, Chunji sunbae. The world doesn’t revolve around you. And neither do I…” She got up and moved to the empty seat next to L.Joe.

L.Joe shot Chunji a look. Was there a problem?
A problem that wasn’t going to be solved meant that L.Joe wouldn’t get his motorcycle and the deal would be closed.

They finally reached Muju Resort and they all piled out, making a mad grab for their own luggage.

“What. Is. Up. Between. You. Two. God. Damnit.” L.Joe said, stabbing Chunji’s shoulder with his finger for every word.
“She’s always ing talking about Saeyeon. Holy – it’s annoying.” Chunji replied, clearly pissed.
“They’re best friends. They can’t even talk to each other because you made this stupid deal – so obviously she’d be pretty damn concerned about Saeyeon.” L.Joe replied logically.
“Whatever. It’s pissing the hell out of me.” 
“I’m getting that ing motorcycle. I’ve kept Saeyeon busy like I said I would. It’s been a freaking month now. A deal is a deal.” L.Joe tried not to shout.
“Yeah. The deal was if I dated Nana. Do you see me dating her? , no, I’m not!” Chunji retorted.
“Well I did what I had to do. So you owe me that motorcycle.”

Saeyeon took a deep breath. 
Was that deal the basis of her and L.Joe’s relationship?
That explained that day when L.Joe had given her his scarf and began spending a lot of time with her…

She looked back and saw Nana was in the gift shop, completely oblivious to the conversation between Chunji and L.Joe.
She wished that she had followed Nana into the shop like Nana pleaded.

L.Joe sighed, running his hands down his face. His end of the deal wasn’t too hard to accomplish – in fact, he could probably say that he enjoyed it.
But he wanted that motorcycle. He had dreamt of speeding down the busy roads, feeling exhilarated and the wind blowing through his face. And although he didn’t really do any against his will, he still felt like he did what was asked of him.
Thus, he deserved the bike that Chunji was supposed to buy him.

“Yeah, he should get that motorcycle. He did a real good job of keeping me away from Nana.” 
He heard an all too familiar voice choke out. He turned around to see the last person he wanted to hear saying such things.

Saeyeon choked out the words, trying to look perfectly fine… Or at least completely unaffected.
But she knew that she was failing miserably. Her lungs were failing her. She felt the hot tears threatening to fall.
But she’d rather die on that spot than have them fall in front of L.Joe.

“Saeyeon…” L.Joe was at a loss for words.

“You don’t have to say anything. I mean, you’ve said more than enough in the past month – purposely being extra verbose for me, right? I understand. You don’t have to be speechless on my account.” Saeyeon breathed deeply, swallowing the lump in .

Chunji was angry at L.Joe but now he knew that something was up. The look on Saeyeon’s face was enough to tell him that his friend had actually perhaps – just maybe – bonded with this girl, who probably was more special than she looked.
L.Joe stood there, trying to find the correct words.
Was it “I’m Sorry?” or maybe it was “I didn’t mean it that way.”
He didn’t think either of those would fix anything.

Saeyeon shrugged and put on the best smile she could muster before she turned around and walked away to Myungsoo, to L.Joe’s horror. It was like adding insult to injury.

“Say something…” Chunji whispered, not wanting two relationships to end in one day.
L.Joe froze on spot, something he never did before. He was supposed to be the cool, relaxed one – the one that took everything in as it came.

Chunji shook L.Joe’s shoulders slightly, waking L.Joe from his daze.
“Sorry… I couldn’t make out the words.” L.Joe said, breathing slightly more heavily than normal.
“You know what they say – “In love, we are speechless”.” Chunji murmured, quoting a Time magazine article he was forced to read in English class.

“I’m not in love. You know I don’t go for girls like her – girls who are involved with my friends.” L.Joe reminded.

“Yeah, but you’ve changed a lot for her. So maybe that has too.” Chunji replied with his quick tongue.