Chapter 20

w i n g m a n

“Are you alright?” Myungsoo asked, concerned with the pale look plastered on Saeyeon’s face.
She nodded and smiled weakly.

“Come on, I know that smile isn’t real.” He persisted, looking at her sadly.
He took her bags and told her that he’d bring her bags to her room for her.

“Room 55E.” Saeyeon said in defeat after failing to persuade Myungsoo that she’d carry her own luggage.
Myungsoo gave her a big smile and led the way upstairs. The suite was a small room for two and she knew Nana wasn’t her roommate.

.

“You’re my roommate… Really?”

Saeyeon turned around to see Raina, Hyerim’s good pal.
She groaned on the inside while Raina snobbily set her bags on the bed Saeyeon had wanted to sleep on.

“Can we at least stay civilized if we’re going to share a room…” Saeyeon muttered, moving her bags and her thick jacket to the next bed.
“I am always civilized… I’m not so sure about you though…” Her roommate retaliated.

Saeyeon thanked the Lord that she had brought locks with her. She secured her bags so no one could them and she grabbed the card key and left quickly, before Raina could say anymore.
She didn’t know where she was going but she couldn’t stand Raina – almost as much as she couldn’t stand Hyerim.

“Saeyeon!” L.Joe’s distinct voice called out from down the hallway.
He had been searching every floor, planning what he was going to say on the way. Truthfully, he was still concerned about his motorcycle, but he’d settle matters with Chunji later.

But Saeyeon really didn’t feel like facing him at that point. She ran into the elevator and pressed the lobby floor. 
She felt her heart pound heavily as if it were going to jump out of .
She buried her face in her hands as she realized she had grown awfully fond of having L.Joe by her side. And now she was alone.

“Saeyeon Noona, L.Joe Hyung is looking for you…” Niel said, walking up to her as she walked out of the elevator.
“Don’t tell him where I am, please?” She quickly said as she ran to the cafeteria patio where she could hide and look at skiiers whoosh down the slopes.

Niel was taken aback by the begging tone in her voice and struggled with whether he should tell L.Joe where to find her… She seemed very troubled.
But maybe it would make things worse…

L.Joe saw the floor indication buttons above the elevator show that Saeyeon had gotten off on the lobby floor.
He ran down the stairs, skipping up to five steps at a time.
He saw Niel standing there, clueless.

“Where’s Saeyeon?” He asked, grabbing Niel by the shoulders.
“Uh… Well, she, um… Yeah, uh…”

Now he was sure Niel had seen her. He took a deep breath.
Why was he going so crazy over this? Wasn’t it a good thing to have Saeyeon keep her distance from him?
After all, he had hoped Saeyeon didn’t like him … For her own good.
Then why was he still looking for her?

“Niel, tell me where she is and I’ll buy you a deluxe hot cocoa later.” L.Joe said, knowing Niel’s sweettooth.
“She’s at the cafeteria patio. She wasn’t wearing a jacket… She might be cold.” Niel confessed, focusing only on the sweet creamy chocolate drink he’d be rewarded with.

L.Joe hesitated. Should he go?
He bit his lip. 
He took a deep breath. He’d go – not because he really cared or anything – but only because she might catch a cold.
He sighed. He couldn’t even force himself to believe that that was true.

“Saeyeon ah…” He called out her name to himself, seeing her shivering petite figure.
She didn’t hear him so he took the liberty to walk closer.
He shed his sweater and put it on her shoulders.

Saeyeon felt a warm layer wrap around her arms and she turned around. Seeing it was L.Joe, she quickly wiped the few tears that remained on her cheeks.

“Why are you here? Just go, please.” She begged, taking off the sweater.
“No. Just listen to me.” L.Joe instructed, pushing the sweater back to her. Then he sighed. “Please,” he added.

Saeyeon looked at her feet, wondering if she should just walk away.
She knew if she looked up, she’d be hooked and wouldn’t be able to leave him.

“Just hear me out…” He asked desperately. 
She looked up, giving in to his desires like always. She nodded and melted a little as he gave her a small smile.

“It’s true – I began talking to you because Chunji told me to. He liked Nana and you know the story about the deal we made. But I swear, I enjoyed …” L.Joe bit his lip. He still wasn’t into these kinds of sentimental confessions.
“I … liked spending time with you – honestly.”

Saeyeon smiled shakily, lips trembling.
Even though she now knew he willingly spent time with her, it didn’t change the fact that if Chunji and he had never made the deal, that they would have never met.
Their encounter was based on a stupid wingman deal that was worth a mere motorcycle.

“I liked our time together too. But maybe it should end here. I mean, with Chunji and Nana fighting – we couldn’t be together much anyway.” She said, not bothering to smile anymore. She knew she wouldn’t be able to.
L.Joe averted his eyes. He let out a sarcastic chuckle. 
“Yeah, you’re right.” He answered. His lips gave her a smile but his blank eyes watched her turn around and walk away, leaving his sweater on the chair.

He tried to smile to himself. 
Now he could go back to hanging out with the really hot girls, and Saeyeon would be happy without him.
What could be better?